What is your opinion on exotic pets?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Silvarain
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary Horde, Azjol-Nerub Alliance
Location: lost in a dark isolated forest, waiting to be found...

What is your opinion on exotic pets?

Unread post by Silvarain »

ello fellow hunters,

ive been searching the web for as much info on pets as a can since i started raiding not too long ago and i couldnt help but wonder what the point exotics pets have in being "exclusive". now i thought that being "exclusive" meant that those pets were, at least, a small step above normal pets, but after comparing my cat and core hound i cried like i ran out of ice ceam! im sad to say that my core hound has the worst damage range out of all five of my pets even with him having the same talents as my cat. now i understand how elite mobs states are normalized after taming, but i wonder why are exotics are not treated a bit better than normal pets being that they are the current top reward (and main reason for being BM along with the 4 extra pet TPs) for being BM.

i was wondering if it was just because i picked the cute core hound and that it might have been because hes a low level tame, but i also tamed a green and red core hound and their damage output was the same as my white one (so i went back to get my cute hound back lol)

please share your opinions with me, am i the only one who has found data like i have?

thanks
Ron: "Up next, is the world ending? But first weather with Ororo. Ororo?"
Ororo: "It's raining frogs, it's raining frogs. What can i say? Back to you."
Ron: "Thanks Ororo."

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Re: What is your opinion on exotic pets?

Unread post by Kayb »

exotics are highly overrated imo, and honestly, it just looks silly to have a pet chimera/t-rex/rhino/etc etc.

You know what hunters should have? exclusive to hunters, we should be able to tame our own mount. thats what the exotic beats should be for, tamable to be turned into a mount.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Mustafah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Mustafah »

Exotic pets are not different then other ones. thats true core hound's damage is low for a ferocity pet(i really like core hounds but dont use them cuz of low damage)but they have another good things.
Low damage - Good Tanking. you should know that.
About silly lookings, its your choice, you dont need to choose a pet you dont like. Anyway, Exotic pets are not "Overpowerd" they are just better - looking pets.

Lots of thanks for TygerDarkstorm for the awesome sig!! =D

Mustafah wrote:Playable Pandaren with racial camel mount!!!
Ghanur
Realm: Tranquility

Unread post by Ghanur »

Exotics are for the look!

Nothing more ;)
Orni
Realm: EU Krag'Jin

Unread post by Orni »

Silvarain wrote: please share your opinions with me, am i the only one who has found data like i have?
Well, why did you even tamed so much, what did you expect ?

1. All pets got the same stats
2. The only (actual) difference are their class abilities and the three types of skill trees
3. Yeah, and the look of course ;)

So if you want a damage pet you'll want a ferocity pet since their skill tree boosts dmg quite good. Then you have to look at the abilities of the different families. The best (damage-wise) are: Devilsaur , Spirit Beast and Wolf

You have to do the math. I'm pretty sure Devilsaurs would turn out beeing the best dps pets on paper. However I do not want to do the math now. I might do it if you (and others) really need this information.

The exotic pet talent is only for the additional 4 points ! That's what's making our pets much better. The exotic stuff is just for the look and for beeing able to tame some more families.
Mustafah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

I wouldn't say only their look is better. as you said before, devilsaurs have the highest DPS. that means some of the exotics are Special.
The 'Popular' Core Hounds aren't that good, thats true. it doesn't means all of them are suck. For example: Spirit Beasts, they does very high DPS, maybe higher then Devilsaurs.

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Exotics pretty much are looks, and special skills. But really, the skills don't come in too handy for PvE. Soloing, yeah I can see that maybe. PvP there are some interesting options, but nothing groundbreaking.

But who out there saw King Krush and didn't think "I want him as my poochy! :o "

Khishay
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: US Trollbane

Unread post by Khishay »

Ryno - I didn't think I wanted King Krush as a pet... but since then I've changed my ways. Green Devilsaurs ftw 4ever! ;)

On topic - Core Hounds have a more PvP oriented skill (slowing cast time). That's probably what made Blizz give them the low damage. Imo, if you really like the look of the pet, ignore the damage and enjoy the flaming monster tromping enemies with you! But that's just me.

Exotic pets really are only for appearance, as previously stated, but I for one am hoping they become something more.

Either they become superior to other pets, or maybe are changed so there are no "exotics" and they can be used with any spec. Maybe exotics are just another thing the almighty next expansion is supposed to make more impressive.
Rastatusk
Realm: Earthen Ring US

Unread post by Rastatusk »

I personally wouldn't go out of my way to get one, I like to stick with Vanilla pets..

They're really there for looks/fun.. not the best in any situation, refer to Ryno's post. They've got it right.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

As someone who uses a Devilsaur almost exclusively, I'll still admit that the main feature of an exotic pet is its rare and/or unique appearance.

Beast Mastery hunters get those extra points in their pets talent tree which is nice, but other than that there really isn't any significant difference.

I know that a Wolf is considered the best raiding pet right now in terms of dps and such, but I'm sticking with my Devilsaur simply because I love him. He's the pet that I'm most attached to and his dps is pretty awesome regardless. :)
emrsonbigins
Realm: Echoisles

Unread post by emrsonbigins »

Agree that exotics are nothing special - the only thing exotic is the name. However, I like the look of the Spirit Beasts and that they have a distance attack, so I run BM and have all 4 spirit beasts in my 5 slot stable.

I'd love to see something special for BM hunters who spec into exotics, something not unbalancing (like +10% DPS), but something fun, like being able to ride your pet as a mount or to give them a "fetch" command that lets them loot corpses at a distance, or even let us buy a special harness for our exotics that lets them fetch stuff from the bank, like the argent squite and the forthcoming racial for Goblins.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Khishay wrote:Ryno - I didn't think I wanted King Krush as a pet... but since then I've changed my ways. Green Devilsaurs ftw 4ever! ;)
omgyes. I fell HARD for him when I saw him in the wild for the first time. I still love my bear on principle, cause he's a bear, but the pet I'm overall most pleased with the appearance of and have a great emotional attachment to is my Krush. *pets Theseus*

I actually raided with him in Naxx, but due to his gigantic hit box, I had trouble keeping him alive in AoE fights, so I gave up BM then (plus I've always been a marks hunter). It was never a dps thing with him, more of a "can't keep my pet alive and I *need* him as BM" thing.

I can't speak for endgame stuff on exotics at the moment, since my entire guild seems to have gone marks for raiding (thank goodness we have ret pallies for replen, eh?). All I know is that my level 75 alt can pull 1400+ dps with her spirit bear (and 5m buffs, including the pug one) because I know how to pop my cooldowns. I don't think my dps had been as high as surv, but my wolf wasn't max level either.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Mustafah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

After a short research i did, i saw that exotic pets are sometimes overpowerd. worms - very good tanking pet, even the best in the game, and they are exotic. core hounds - very good in PvP. Devilsaurs - very high DPS. i dont really think Blizz made exotic pets because of their look, for example: Chimaeras. theyre not that pretty :P and before WotLK there was only these small ugly worms. about exotic pets as mounts: you wanna ride a burning core hound or a worm? :P but after second thinking riding a devilsaur or rhino would be cool

Doglover1335
Realm: The Sckryers

Unread post by Doglover1335 »

Yea Exotics aren't good for anything if your a lvl 80 and is bm for an exotic its really not worth it even if you have duel,try having surv mixed with marks
Aspect of the Adected.
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

Doglover1335 wrote:Yea Exotics aren't good for anything if your a lvl 80 and is bm for an exotic its really not worth it even if you have duel,try having surv mixed with marks
Come on, this is a forum for BM hunters who love their pets! :D I'm pretty sure most people here aren't too concerned to have the best DPS evah. I for one have both my dual specs as BM - one for soloing and one for group play. Plus look at the top three DPS pets: Devilsaur, Spirit Beast, Wolf. That's two exotics in the lead!

And btw, would you mind changing your sig? :S I've never seen a signature that big. o.o
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Safrienaer wrote: And btw, would you mind changing your sig? :S I've never seen a signature that big. o.o
I could make a bigger one probably. ;)
But on topic, this forum isn't a raiding forum. It is a pet lover's forum.

Redhawke
Realm: Baelgun

Unread post by Redhawke »

50%, no 75% of the Hunter's way of life is his/her relationship with their pet. Having tamed doggone nearly every exotic I could research, find, and trap; brought them up from kittens and pups to their full potential, AND tamed damn near everything else so they could learn new abilities (BRING IT BACK BLIZZ). My relationship with my pets is not as casual as someone who collects companion pets or mounts. That being said, romping through the wilds with your favorite by your side takes teamwork and knowledge of our pet's abilities. My favorite partner? the lowly Mulgore Prairie wolf, "Barkus". Exotics? Have to go a long way to beat my white stealth Devilsaur "JurrAssIsMine" or Gondria aka "Hoarfrost". I admit, I like the "Gee Whiz" factor in town when I bring out Koosu, aka "Slimer". Go for the Exotics to round out your stable, the more exotic the better, just to say to other hunters, "Been there, tamed that"!Image

Aggro? Don't tell me I'M pulling aggro!
wyndigo
Realm: Kul Tiras

Unread post by wyndigo »

Blizzard never wanted to make exotic pets stronger than regular pets. They didn't want BM hunters feeling like they had to use an exotic to max dps if they'd rather use Fluffy the cat instead. Exotics are indeed, an expansion of taming choices for BM hunters. Of course now that BM isn't the premium raiding spec, people (usually) only spec BM to tame the exotic pets. So yeah...
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormreaver

Unread post by swimgremlin »

Some other hunters and myself were talking about BM's 51 point talent and find it rather weak. Taming exotic pets should be something that comes with a certin level rather then invested talent points.

We had also figured that BM should be about "pets". And find it sad that shamans, and dk's have more "pets" available to them at once (ie. gargoyle, spirit wolves, elementals, army). We're supposed to specialize in beasts, yet can only manage one at a time? :/

I think that the 51 point talent should be similar to a fury warriors build. Instead of 2 2h weapons at 30% less damage, have 2 pets at 30% less damage, along with a second pet bar to the right of the first one. This would require ALOT of pet management, so therefore could not be considered just a faceroll dps spec since you'd need to keep both pets in check at the same time.
Lilandre
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow (US

Unread post by Lilandre »

TBH I really wish exotic pets were tamable by all specs (maby having to wait till lvl 60 still though) and the BM 51 talent would get like +10% stats to all pets with the extra talent points. I like some exotics but I feel pressured into them when im in BM and im locked out of them in MM so im kinda torn >.<

Lil, What does beast lore say about its armor rating?
ITS OVER 9000!!!!