"Hidden" Pet Taunt?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

"Hidden" Pet Taunt?

Unread post by Acherontia »

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this; I made a post about it on the Hunter forums (EU realms) and there's no replies as yet. I'm taking it to you people, the pet junkies--maybe one of you has noticed this?

Has anyone noticed in 5-mans their pet doing normal pet threat, and then if someone other than the tank has aggro on a mob, the pet's aggro suddenly spikes and it can hold the mob (growl off) vs multiple dps?

I made a more detailed post here:

-Pet Threat Spike Post-

Maybe it's something simple that everyone but me knows about, but if not I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced it :)

~Acherontia
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: "Hidden" Pet Taunt?

Unread post by Vephriel »

Actually, now that you mention it, this has happened to me.

I've been running a lot of instances on my new lowbie hunter (She's level 37 right now), and frequently I'll have the tank say something along the lines of 'Turn growl off' and I reply 'It's been off the entire time'. And it's as you've said....my pet doesn't hold aggro over the tank generally, but for quick bursts it will seem like my pet's aggro goes through the roof, especially if it's on a mob the tank isn't holding right then.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

I'd guess it might have something to do with the charge ability. Or just with the scaling with abilities.

My BM hunter, when he pops everything and sends in his ferocity pet, with growl off, sometimes sees the pet just about pull off the tank (or on less geared tanks, pulls off). Just because of that initial burst.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

That's what I thought for awhile, but after watching for a couple of months' worth of heroics I can tell you 100% it isn't the damage-based threat doing it. The threat will be normal, and then spike massively (to just over the highest threat-holder's threat level) until it is taunted by the tank. I'll actually see if I can't get a screenshot at some point, it's hard to reproduce.

"Tank, do me a favor and let that mob go for the healer for a minute, I want to test something..."

...For science? :D
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Acherontia wrote:...For science? :D
This will not end well.

But ok. I haven't watched it really close myself.

Could you tell me if the pet has the charge ability? I'm wanting to say that could be it somehow.

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

I have seen this happen alot also. Especially with druid and warrior tanks. The sad thing is I've had healers ask if the tank can go dps so my pet can tank. :twisted:
We don't die. We multiply.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Yup, he does have Charge :) Mind you the threat spikes are invariably mid-fight on large pulls where the tank loses something to say a healer, but if you're suspecting a Charge-talented-related bug or something, yes he has the talent.

I'm wondering if the Defensive 'stance' lets them do this, but nowhere have I read about this being a known 'perk' of the stance :P
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Acherontia wrote:Yup, he does have Charge :) Mind you the threat spikes are invariably mid-fight on large pulls where the tank loses something to say a healer, but if you're suspecting a Charge-talented-related bug or something, yes he has the talent.
Mmk. Yeah, if it's mid fight, my theories are shot. It could be anything, hehe.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Dulanie wrote:I have seen this happen alot also. Especially with druid and warrior tanks. The sad thing is I've had healers ask if the tank can go dps so my pet can tank. :twisted:
lol i never had that happen... ´

Wonder if my cutiepie could accually tank a heroic?? Golden Worm tank..hmm interesting.. gonna test this :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Tårnfalk wrote:Wonder if my cutiepie could accually tank a heroic?? Golden Worm tank..hmm interesting.. gonna test this :D
Hard to say really. If it was one of the easier heroics (IE VH) it's certainly possible, if everyone in the group held off DPS to not pull off, and everyone was decked out in full token gear.

Mintmazzo
Realm: Earthen Ring

Unread post by Mintmazzo »

Hmm, I've noticed something similar with my Tenacity pet. He will aggro neutral NPCs just by being near them. I think it has to do with his taunt, but I am not sure. Dunno if this is the same thing you guys are mentioning or not.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Mintmazzo wrote:Hmm, I've noticed something similar with my Tenacity pet. He will aggro neutral NPCs just by being near them. I think it has to do with his taunt, but I am not sure. Dunno if this is the same thing you guys are mentioning or not.
What type of creature is he? Many pets have an aoe or radius attack that will aggro nearby mobs.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

If it's a bear, then that's the cause. This applies for the talent Thunderstomp too. And the Warp of Warpstalkers used to be bugged too, dunno' if they fixed that yet, but he would warp to a target, and the buff effect from Warp would aggro any mobs within five yards.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Mintmazzo

He is a moth, but he aggros these things when OUT OF COMBAT and not set to aggro. For example, I was trying to get Don Carlos' hat and Don Carlos and his wolf are yellow (neutral) and i was preparing to attack so i was just standing there with my pet and the wolf walked through my pet and starting attacking my pet. This happened on one of the Lorderon soldier mobs that walk around out there too.
Mintmazzo

I'm sorry, it wasn't my moth that was doing all these things, it was my Warp Stalker. My Tenacity pet.
Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

Tenacity's intervene and thunderstomp do create a large amount of threat. If you have Omen it you can see the actual number spikes.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]