PetEmote Addon - A fond farewell

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

PetEmote Addon - A fond farewell

Unread post by Teigan »

Welcome to the Pet Emote Addon Thread. In brief, I started off playing with the Pet Emote Editor for Jorna's Pet Emote Addon. At the time, she wasn't working on it anymore and I felt that all those pet families that lacked emotes needed them. I mentioned it to my former guild (Petopians) and they were interested. Now, since I'm not the most tech savvie person, I couldn't figure out how to post the files, since the files types weren't allowed, until someone suggested I make them zip files. So, I was having to email files to people that wanted them. I mention this, because there is talk of emailing in the thread. Emailing is no longer necessary!The zip files allow me to post them.

After I emailed Jorna concerning this project, she briefly picked back up working on it and added my custom emotes to the core of the addon. Unfortunately, Jorna has stepped away from the addon and WoW, so they will no longer be added to the core. Thanks to Efindel taking over the nuts and bolts of this, the new emotes will be added to the addon as permanent emotes, not just the custom files. These will all be available on Curse now.

Current News

I am stepping down as lead writer of PetEmote for the forseeable future and passing the reigns to Varethyn. She has shown great talent for writing solid, good quality emotes that would be suitable for a large audience and capture the essence of the beast. She has a working copy of the Editor and good grasp of how it works. I am confident that she will excel in this role.

As she will be taking over, she will be starting her own thread to post her updates and this thread will be locked. You will all still recieve credit for your contributions on her thread :)

Its been wonderful working with all of you. Farewell and good hunting!

The Pet Emote Addon and this project

What PetEmote is:

PetEmote is an addon originally produced by Jorna and filled out by me and other people from Petopia. http://ammunition-company.zirkel-des-ce ... emote-173/ (site is gone; addon is no longer supported by Jorna) It produces random, pet family specific text emotes for your hunter pets, as well as minions and ghouls. It gives a pet (or warlock minion or ghoul!) some personality.

It is now available on Curse, thanks to Efindel. Be sure you download his version! Check the author!

As always, the newest ones will be here on this thread first, until he has time to put them in. It will be the same old zip file as usual, on this page of the thread.

What it does:

PetEmote causes random text emotes to appear in the game's chat box. These emotes appear to come from your pet and descibe an action the pet is "doing" To someone who has the addon, your pet's name will appear. To someone who does not, the pet's family will appear. As these are actually customized character emotes, those in the opposing faction will not be able to understand them. All they will see is "____ makes some strange gestures" as they would see for any non-standard emote.

What I did:

PetEmote comes came with an editor. To use it, according to the site, you have to be on a PC and you have to download this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
It is free and fairly small.

I have a copy of the no longer available Editor, of course. If you need it, send me a PM.

Once you have satisfied those two requirements, you can open the editor in the PetEmote file in your WoW addons folder.

Using the editor, I created emotes for all the families, in varying degrees of variety. Most families had few or no emotes. I have also worked to give minions more personality, as the standard emotes were very limited. There were many contributions from Petopia members as well, many of which I incorporated.

Authors

These are the people who have contributed to one degree or another. If you feel you've been overlooked, please let me know. :)

Hunter Pets:

Bat - Teigan
Bear - Jorna, Teigan, Kalliope
Beetle - Teigan
Bird of Prey - Jorna, Teigan
Boar - Jorna, Teigan
Beetle - Teigan
Carrion Bird - Jorna, Teigan
Cat - Jorna, Teigan
Chimaera - Teigan, Vephriel
Core Hound - Teigan
Crab - Teigan
Crocolisk - Teigan
Devilsaur - Jorna, Teigan
Dog - Teigan, Toph, Rexiah
Dragonhawk - Teigan
Fox - Aweena, Teigan
Gorilla - Jorna, Teigan
Hyena - Jorna, Teigan
Hydra - Teigan
Monkey - Teigan, Tahlian, Kalliope, Toph. Summerhawk
Moth - Teigan
Nether Ray - Teigan, Vephriel, Ryno
Raptor - Jorna, Teigan
Ravager - Teigan, ?
Rhino - Teigan
Scorpid - Jorna, Teigan
Shale Spider - Varethyn, Aweena, Jorna (from spider emotes) Teigan
Silithid - Teigan
Spider - Jorna, Teigan
Spirit Beast - Jorna, Vephriel, Kalliope, ShadowAKZ, Saturo, Teigan
Sporebat - Teigan
Tallstrider - Teigan
Turtle - Teigan, Kalliope
Warp Stalker - Teigan
Wasp - Teigan
Wind Serpent - Teigan
Wolf - Jorna, Teigan, Aweena
Worm - Teigan

Basilisk - Teigan, Toph
Crane - Teigan, Varethyn
Goat - Varethyn, Teigan
Porcupine - Varethyn, Teigan
Quilen - Varethyn, Teigan, Jessibelle
Water Strider - Teigan, Varethyn, Azunara

Warlock Minions:

Succubus - Teigan, Jorna
Felguard - Teigan, Jorna, Varethyn, Jadein (with a nod to Bioware), Kalliope, Vephriel, Blizzard for the Eredun language, and the Bible
Felhunter - Teigan
Imp - Teigan, Jorna
Voidwalker - Teigan, Varethyn

Fel Imp - Teigan, Jorna
Observer - Teigan
Shivarra - Teigan
Voidlord - Teigan
Wrathguard - Teigan

Mage Water Elemental - Teigan

Death Knight Ghoul - Teigan, Jorna, 84

Btw, the file named "setup" is the Editor. The file named "custom" is the new emotes.
Last edited by Teigan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:59 am, edited 75 times in total.
Teigan

Re: PetEmote Addon - In Case You Are Interested :)

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Sat May 26, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I know there are a few other awkwardly phrased emotes, but I can't think of them now. I'll try to remember when I get home from work today. ^^
Foru21dr
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Tanaris (Alliance) Nessingwary (Horde)

Unread post by Foru21dr »

I will pay attention when I play as well. ty for giving the tallstriders something more than cawing :-)
Nesingwary Petopians - Bitka, Quïll Xendral, Ximbol, Saehi, and Tryxter
Nesingwary Petopian Alliance - Sorree and Xylda

http://dragcave.net/user/foru21dr My Cave
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I'm willing to trust you with my email.

Bummer you cannot create the addon yourself and upload it to curse or something.

I wish they'd updated this too.

Anyway awesome work.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

This sounds great! I recall BRK showing how to edit it on a mac, I'll dig around and see if his old blog post was cached somewhere...

If I were to have you send me the emotes you edited, would I still have to go in and edit it on my comp or is it as easy as replacing a file? If it's the latter, I'd prefer to just have you send me the file you've edited. (If that's ok with you, of course!)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Arisia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US (H)

Unread post by Arisia »

Oh yes please-- I'd be interested; I usually have my spirit beasts out, and while Myst, my Gondria, DOES have a lovely purr, my bear really does not...

As for additions/edits, I'll start making notes when on other toons; most of my hunters end up with felines, and those have worked, but I have one with a hyena, and remember not really liking a few of those!

Thanks for this! I'll send a PM ASAP. :D
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Quicksilver
Realm: Black Dragonflight

Unread post by Quicksilver »

Is it possible to add more variety to a pet family? I've had this addon before, but dropped it because I felt there wasn't enough emotes. I jut re-downloaded it now so that when I have my devilsaur out, he has more personality. However, again I still feel there could be more variation.
Love is a crime, whose beginning is a glance, and whose ending is eternity.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Sarayana

Awesome, I'll PM you my email address. :D

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Sat May 26, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Protego
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Protego »

Woot! I'm glad it's finally getting "updated". heh Please send me send me your updated Pet Emote add-on thing! :-D I'll private message you my E-mail address.
Robot Wars is renewed for 6 episodes! I love some Exotic pets! And I hate spiders for.. "pets"!

Sorcha Ravenlock
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Sorcha Ravenlock »

Oh, that's great Teigan!
I quickly fell in love with Petemote, I was so glad I found it thanks to this forum. :) I can't use the editor myself since I keep getting error messages, and changes don't save.

I did find one error in the original:
When my dwarf has her bear out, I sometimes get the emote "Bram gives a surprised woof!" (which surprises all of us to be honest, hehe) or something like that. I would be much obliged if you could change that in the newer version.

FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

If you can make Skoll stop purring and meowing, you'll be a God in my book. I know the addon was written before Skoll and Arcturis, and that's why all the spirit beasts have the same ones, but seeing Skoll purr and meow just drives me nuts. He growls, he barks, he snarls... he does NOT meow. LOL (Well I guess technically he does, but he shouldn't!) I'd also like to get on the list for a copy of the updated version. I'll PM you my e-mail address.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kittykat
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Kittykat »

I only wish that all hunters with this add-on could get the update.

Sorry, but some of them just... completely rub me the wrong way.

When I am at the auction house on my bank DK, and trade spam is bad enough, having some emote-spam every 20 seconds with completely lame and nonsensical drivel sends me right over the edge some days.

"Legoollaass 's wind serpent Iamawesome preens its feathers cheerily."

Say WHAT?
It's a wind SERPENT and it doesn't have feathers. It's a REPTILE. Look at it.

"Legoollaass 's wind serpent Iamawesome rubs its head affectionately against his master."

Excuse me while I throw up in my mouth a little. hee hee ;-)

And yes, this one time, in Orgrimmar, I actually did reply in emotes to some of the more glaringly nauseating/ridonkulous ones emanating from a hunter. I was not rude, just humorous, but I still managed to get an angry whisper... from some OTHER hunter who wasn't using the Pet Emote addon, but formed a personal grudge against me for my joking around.

It ended with me putting the "High-Horse Hunter" on ignore on my bank toon after it told me it was "Old enough to be my grandmother" and I replied "Not unless you're pushing 100 years old honey" (which I'm not really proud of, but whatever... I did nothing to the person and they were gratuitously outright nasty).

Oddly enough later that week I was in Un'Goro doing Venomhide Ravasaur dailies, and the same High-Horse Hunter was being rude in general chat, and taking offense at some completely innocuous conversation *that other people were having* and which was not offending either party. But apparently it was completely uncalled for, mean, etc. etc. in the bizarre mind of the nosy hunter. Some people are apparently only happy if they have something to be offended at.

Anyways, the point is, I think it's great you're working on this project, and making it available for others to use!
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wind serpents are reptiles, yes, but they do have feathers, both on their wings and heads. They're based of the feathered serpent Quetzalcoatl. :)
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Sat May 26, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarayana

OMG I love cat head-butts. :D I miss my kitties head-butting me for love and attention.

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Sarayana wrote:This sounds great! I recall BRK showing how to edit it on a mac, I'll dig around and see if his old blog post was cached somewhere...
I'd love it if you could find this. I have a mac, but I'd love to be able to edit some of my pets' emotes as long as I could find a place to show me how :D

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons