PetEmote Addon - A fond farewell

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: PetEmote Addon - A fond farewell

Unread post by Kalliope »

We'll all be here to help, Varethyn - and thank you for taking on the project! :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Perhaps as a project in the future, I would really appreciate adding separate emotes for Silithid Colossi: perhaps in a different addon package entirely.
As of now, almost all of the silithid emotes-
"bounces from side to side"
"skitters anxiously"
"flutters [his/her] tiny wings"
"looks up at [his/her] [master/mistress]"

do not work at all for the much larger, stronger and bulkier Silithid Colossi. As Krilte, my colossus, is probably my favorite pet, or at least in the top 3, I see these often and it bugs me a bit.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

That would require making a separate addon entirely and seems a bit....farfetched and too complex to do just for one kind of bug. Considering the collossi's head are lower to the ground, they do 'look up' at you. I don't see anything wrong with that...or the skittering(super cute!) and bouncing(they do that...a lot....that annoying thump is a testament they do bounce!) but the wings I could see should be gotten rid of as only one type of bug does that and collossi don't have wings(do they?).
Last edited by Lisaara on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Teigan, thank you for all the time, hard work, and love you have put into this addon. You, and the others, have breathed some real life into this thing and it's one of my favorite addons and frequently earns me responses from other players not familiar with it. <3 :hug:

Varethyn, I think you'll do a wonderful job taking over for Teigan. As Kalli said, we're all here to help. <3

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Equeon »

Junrei wrote:That would require making a separate addon entirely and seems a bit....farfetched and too complex to do just for one kind of bug. Considering the collossi's head are lower to the ground, they do 'look up' at you. I don't see anything wrong with that...or the skittering(super cute!) and bouncing(they do that...a lot....that annoying thump is a testament they do bounce!) but the wings I could see should be gotten rid of as only one type of bug does that and collossi don't have wings(do they?).
What I should have mentioned in my post but didn't was that the idea would be just one single alternate pack for all the pets with noticeably different models.

This would be a pack with...
Pandaria or Outland Striders only
Silithid Colossi only
Demon Dogs or Mastiffs only
Firespiders only
Arcane Serpents only
Owls or Eagles only
Arcturis or Ghostcrawler-unique emotes, because the existing emotes, which involve leaping, racing, and pouncing, don't really emanate "huge spirit bear" or "big ghostly crab"

I think this would add some nice customization to the addon.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

But then you'd have to make an entirely new PetEmote then. Might as well do one for each pet as each type of pet is different. Foxes don't act the same as Wolves. Tigers don't act the same as Lions. While the idea is nice, I would think that would require way too much coding and effort...plus a lot of things could go wrong. It would likely have to be done by NPC ID and then it would be a massive memory hogging addon.

I understand wanting specific emotes but sometimes more isn't better. It's more work, more upkeep just for something that isn't required to have in the game and not everyone has a computer that can process big addons.
Last edited by Lisaara on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LisaaraPokefarm

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Equeon »

Junrei wrote:But then you'd have to make an entirely new PetEmote then. Might as well do one for each pet as each type of pet is different. Foxes don't act the same as Wolves. Tigers don't act the same as Lions. While the idea is nice, I would think that would require way too much coding and effort...plus a lot of things could go wrong. It would likely have to be done by NPC ID and then it would be a massive memory hogging addon.
Foxes are in a different family than wolves, and tigers and lions at least look alike. The generic emotes of "yowl" or "meow" or anything else work for those, but some things are incompatible with the listed pets above (arcane serpents don't have scales to scratch on a rock, and they probably wouldn't sun themselves, as they're made out of an otherworldly substance.) Other ones, like demon dogs and firespiders, could have different emotes from the restrictive generic ones they currently have. And about the npc-ids: I'm suggesting to provide two different packages to download - "Package 1" or "Package 2" and the user would choose one based on what pets they use.
The addon wouldn't have to do the work, it would be labelled with what specific pet types it contained.
Last edited by Equeon on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Guys, save the discussion for the new thread, when it gets going. It may be lost here ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Equeon wrote:
Junrei wrote:But then you'd have to make an entirely new PetEmote then. Might as well do one for each pet as each type of pet is different. Foxes don't act the same as Wolves. Tigers don't act the same as Lions. While the idea is nice, I would think that would require way too much coding and effort...plus a lot of things could go wrong. It would likely have to be done by NPC ID and then it would be a massive memory hogging addon.
Foxes are in a different family than wolves, and tigers and lions at least look alike. I'm suggesting to provide two different packages to download - "Package 1" or "Package 2" and the user would choose one based on what pets they use.
The addon wouldn't have to do the work, it would be labelled with what specific pet types it contained.
I use both. Where does that leave me then or others in that situation? I'd have to download them both and it would take up a lot of memory and WoW has problems with memory leaks as is. It's not so cut and dry and choosing one or the other.

EDIT: Alright Wain. :) Sorry!

LisaaraPokefarm