What pet is your diamond in the rough?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow US

Re: What pet is your diamond in the rough?

Unread post by Jakkra »

I'd have to say my silithid named Ripley is my all time favorite pet. She was the one I had aimed for from the beginning, and had the name picked out and everything. Tamed her in Thousand Needles- it's a rare spawn at that dig site on the Shimmering Flats.

Ever since I tamed her, I used her exclusively, except for trying out different pet families now and again. I don't come across too many other hunters using Silithids, and I got a lot of people saying how much they loved her little dance :3 Yep, that's right, while leveling I'd bring her in with me to dungeons and just about everything, regardless of her being a cunning pet.

I still use her for pvp and solo-ing, but, unfortunately, I bring my wolf to raids for the buff. Damn you, furious howl :<
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

It's a tie between Skoll and my wolf (which you can see in my signature).

Love them both to pieces and wouldn't get rid of them for the world. <3

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

Arwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Arwyn »

My all time fav. is the Snow Leopard. During vanilla WoW the poor guy for some reason ran slower than other cats but because I really didn't like the coats on the nightsaber, moonstalker, and nightsaber stalker, I picked him up for my NE and as long as he got the dps done I was happy. Even after he became normal I got him for both my Ally and Horde hunters.
Skyshot
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank US

Unread post by Skyshot »

Mine would have to be a pet I challenged myself today to tame (at level 32) and I loved every second of it. My reward was a beautiful raven (carrion bird) that you don't see all that often at my atls level on Feathermoon. :) That would be the lovely Daggercap Hawk in Howling Fjord. Only died once, ran as a ghost to the spirit healer outside of UK and ressed there. My pretty little bird was sitting there waiting for me on a nearby lamp post.

Now all we have to do is work on hitting 80!

Shortly afterwards we had our first adventure together getting to Dalaran. We died a lot but made it. :P
Image Image Image

<My whelps - My Dragons>
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept."
-Calvin and Hobbes

Kastarakovski
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Saurfang, Icecrown, Ysera, Nesingwary

Unread post by Kastarakovski »

It's really hard to pick an all-time favourite. But if I had to choose from Laz's current five, it'd have to be Nightshade (Gezzarak).
It's both fun and a bit of an annoyance (depends on my mood and the 5-man/raid prior) to be jumped by lowbie hunters in Stormwind when Laz and Nightshade are together. I love Nightshade to bits. It's always amusing getting called a hacker in Trade Channel because you've "somehow tamed Backbiter OMG". Those kinds of newbies always elicit a chuckle from both of them.

For Kastarakov, it's gotta be Drachenstein (now temporarily replaced by Maugrim (Skoll) *mutters expletives*)
No more playful Devilsaur EVER found. He'd dance too if he could <3

Nikrosnil
Haiku Master
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Nikrosnil »

Right now, It's a tie between Loque and Rak'shiri.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I think right now out of all my pets it would have to be my Diseased Black Bear.

He is the only pet in my stables that is not Exotic or Special/Rare. I have my Jormungar worm who is a wonderful tank, yet I've always wanted one of the black zombie bears. The first time I saw them on this site waaaay back I knew I had to get one. So when I finally was a high enough level to tame, it just felt so awesome.

Grudge doesn't do much now, though I take him out in cities sometimes for some exercise. Every now and then if I need to solo-tank something I'll use him, though I usually use my Jormungar.

Anyways, he's not really that amazing or anything, but I really love him and don't think I can part with him. ^^
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Echeyakee - five years ago on my first hunter (night elf), I saw this lion on a website somewhere (most likely Petopia) and knew I had to have him. I had heard it was a spawn, so I sat there in the Barrens and waited, waited, waited.....and he never spawned. Later, after reading as much as I could find about him at the time, I learned he was a horde quest spawn, making it nearly impossible to get as Alliance. However, my brother agreed to make a horde character, level it up, and do this quest for me. Wonderful! So as I'm out in the Barrens waiting for my brother's character to arrive, an undead comes along. "Wow, my brother is fast!" I thought. The undead summons Echeyakee, but doesn't kill him. Instead, he emotes me (can't remember now if it was /cheer, /hi, etc.). I take this as my cue to tame the proud Echeyakee. I did so, and called my brother again to thank him. He said that the undead character wasn't him! So it was actually some random horde being nice to a newbie night elf out in the Barrens. Echeyakee was mine! I named him Tetsusaiga, which is a legendary weapon from an anime show. :D

Fast-forward to today, after my brother and I tried out different servers several times, I was no longer on Lightbringer and no longer played my hunter. I missed her a lot, so I transferred her to my current server and my account (since my hunter was on my husband's account at the time), and Tetsusaiga is still here. However, nowadays I'm using a carrion bird from Hellfire Peninsula (the mob name escapes me at the moment) named Rhytil. I just love my bird! He's great in pve, pvp, you name it.

So I guess nostalgia-speaking, Tetsusaiga (Echeyakee) was my diamond in the rough. But for today, my favorite is my good ol' carrion bird Rhytil ("jade eye"). :D

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by kamoodle5 »

My precious diamond back when I was almost brand new to WoW and I used a hunter for the very first time (I had a warrior before) was Diego, my orange cat. When I was able to finish the taming quests and I was ready to grab my first pet in Mulgore, I was at a debate whether I should choose a cat or a wolf. I chose a cat. I had no idea whatsoever of the extraordinary dps cats have back then; I only tamed him because I love cats. As much as his skin is quite common, I cared little about that; I looked at the obvious of how much Diego pulled through for me that time. Eventually, he was not the only pet that became my precious diamond. Both my bright blue scorpion and later my white owl were my pride. This was back before the LK came out, so I could only hold 3 pets.

This lasted until over a year ago when I couldn't afford to play WoW for a while. Then last August when I found from my best friend my account got hacked, I did everything I could to get the people at Blizz to restore my account, which they did. After buying one of the game cards and I began to play in September, my hunter wasn't deleted but a lot of things were done to her that I didn't like so I retired her completely (what's the blame?). I didn't check to see whether the hacker kept my two original pets, but at least my white owl was still around.

Now I started anew with an orc hunter and five new pets. I went ahead and grabbed another bright blue scorpion and instead of going for another common orange cat, I got Araga which is close enough. I somewhat have my original team except I didn't get another white owl. My new diamond for my new hunter would be a red and black spider I got in Tirisfal. I named her Consuela after the big female spider in Eight Legged Freaks.
Gigglemonsta
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Aman'thul

Unread post by Gigglemonsta »

My diamond in the rough has to be Skoll currently (called CourageWolf). I raid as BM, so take him along always :)

Previously it was the Ghost Sabre called Cupcaek that was my main pet. I would get comments everywhere on him :)
*Gigglemonsta - Proud owner of all four Spirit Beasts :) /giggle *
Thanks to Saturo for the signature
Zanidar
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture Co - Nesingwary

Unread post by Zanidar »

Skyshot wrote:Mine would have to be a pet I challenged myself today to tame (at level 32) and I loved every second of it. My reward was a beautiful raven (carrion bird) that you don't see all that often at my atls level on Feathermoon. :) That would be the lovely Daggercap Hawk in Howling Fjord. Only died once, ran as a ghost to the spirit healer outside of UK and ressed there. My pretty little bird was sitting there waiting for me on a nearby lamp post.

I did that at lvl 24 (i think) and didnt know about the spirit rez trick :lol:

My raven is my favorite pet as well, but i'm not sure if i will keep him past 70, because it will seem like i tamed it at 70 and not 24
Skyshot
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank US

Unread post by Skyshot »

Yikes I bet it was a pain at 24. :shock:

I was also thinking the same at first but then I figured "As long as I know where he came from (and what what level), that's good enough for me."
That's probably the only thought I'll need to help him hit 80 with me. That and I get really attached to my pets. lol :)
That and I think he has a different animation than the ones you can tame in Blades Edge.. Not positive though.

<My whelps - My Dragons>
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept."
-Calvin and Hobbes

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I tamed mine at level 14. Tough I'm not one to brag...

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Rethei
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bloodscalp

Unread post by Rethei »

Devilsaurs!!! If only i could use em when im Survival specced! Sure i love wolves ( esp my wolf tribute to my dog) i love the Outland raptors, Jormungar worms, wasps, and many other pets... i pretty much love em all... however Devilsaurs i love the most. I wanted them tamable back in 04 when i first saw them as they devoured me in ungoro.. and i thought "wow to have one of these as a pet would be amazing" well sure enough years later i got my wish and now im proud to have such an amazing companion at my side!

For starters im a Dino fan, been interested and loving dinosaurs since i was born! Devilsaurs just pull off a badass look and can still be freaking adorable!

I love the dps that they bring i love the way they chomp on enemies and their size (though i want bigger) is awesome (finally a pet bigger then the hunter!)
Props to Karathyriel
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Haha, I echo everything you just said Rethei. :D
Gala
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Gala »

From the WoW TCG--Flavor Text for the Pet Card "Zip"

"The cries of laughter upon seeing the tallstrider quickly turn to cries of pain."
bloodysam
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Scryers!

Unread post by bloodysam »

The Beast he is soooo cool and he has the (Boss) and Skull lvl on him its just so cool and i can Solo UK by meself i tested during Love Is In The Air :P

Born a lonewolf...choosen to be with pets!
Thanks for the awwsome signature Pooksie!!
Suzi
Realm: Elune US, Nesingwary US

Unread post by Suzi »

At one time perhaps people had a point when they said a certain beast was better than another due to the very few being far better than the rest. Now their stat modifiers depend if they're Ferocity, Cunning or Tenacity and I don't think the pet family skills are enough to say one is far better than another anymore (it can add to DPS, but other abilities can help with crowd control for example).

I have had so many pets on my main and various alts. I think my favourites have been the ones I have now (mentioned on my profile), the Lost Torranche Tallstrider and "Snort the Heckler" style Hyena. If I had more stable slots I'd re-tame them in a heartbeat.

[Edit] I realise that many people may disagree with the first paragraph but it was in response to the original poster when they said that they're criticized for their choice in pet. I'm not arguing that pets can out DPS each other, but I do think things have greatly improved since I was playing back in vanilla and the lost of damage is usually replaced with another useful pet spell. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Tivoni of the Petopians on Nesingwary-US

Rottingham
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin; Illidan

Unread post by Rottingham »

I use my sider for basically any situation: Rads, Dungeons, BGs, Arenas, ect. I'm still normally top of the DPS, too, even thouhg some people complain that my spidy won't do enough damamge. And with a name like Arachnattack, who wouldn't be intimidated by him?

Rottingham, Troll Hunter in the Petopians Guild

Check me out on youtube!

Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Baeglum

Unread post by Dakonic »

Oh god its so hard to choose.. .hmmm i do have a special place in my heart for my Warpstalker(the no longer tameable Gezzarek the huntress http://s933.photobucket.com/albums/ad17 ... 131526.jpg)
Hes(well i guess its a she o.0) is my buddy through thick and thin, buti use my two spirit beasts alot too, Louqe and Arcturis, i looove wolves and not because people say there awesome they are just one of my favorite animals, when i was a lower lvl i had the worgs from silverpine until i was 20 then i got the white one from shadowfang keep and i had him till i was 74(traded for loque)
Oh! and i cant forget my Ghost hydra, from the quests that is no longer tameable he is a great tank! My new guy who im leveling up now is Nuramoc now named Synyster after one of my favorite guitarists, i think he will be my pvp pet since his Froststorm breath slows people down.
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Dakonic
Formally known as "celestial88"
Image Image Image Image