What pet is your diamond in the rough?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

What pet is your diamond in the rough?

Unread post by Maizou »

So, I'm curious about other hunters.

I personally, as indicated in my stable, have 3 different tallstriders, all of the 'unique' colors, as in, not a bland shade. I originally had Mazz for a while, but then decided to grab the clutchmother and one of the lost torranche's after 3.3 hit, due to fast leveling for pets (when it was cut from 10% to 5%).

I love using them, even in raids, on the rare occasion I do them. But I'm always criticized beforehand, before people even let me use them. Wolves give a slight DPS boost to me, however, I've consistently seen my tallstrider be even/even outdamage other MM/Surv hunters wolves, all the while causing enemies to miss an entire attack, including raid bosses. (And I might add, after the raid, I've actually had people comment on how my tallstrider rocks, XD I had a large screenshot gallery of people praising the pink bird, but a recent reformat got rid of all that :()

Essentially, I only use tallstriders, except in 5 man heroics where there is no demo shout/equivalent, in which case I use my carrion bird (with the owl skin) simply because it can be a MASSIVE help to the tanks, damage wise. I also love having people ask how my owl is using Demoralizing Screech and not Snatch XD

So, any other hunters love the pets that are out of the normal ElitistJerks/etc 'TopDPS' pets?
Raze
Realm: Farstriders

Re: What pet is your diamond in the rough?

Unread post by Raze »

Most definitely.

I don't raid, but I know for certain that the pet DPS difference isn't so horribly large that it warrants this "everybody use a wolf" mentality.

Since it's my only ferocity, I use my moth when I want to be "competitive", unless there isn't a Druid or I know the upcoming fights are going to be longwinded, at which point I usually use my Spore Bat. Otherwise I cycle through all my pets (except my bat) pretty regularly.

I really need to download one of those damage meters some time and see for myself if there's really some massive, gasp worthy difference in the damage I'm putting out thanks to my pet choice. 'Til than, kudos for reppin' Tallstriders. =D
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

As you can probably tell from my avatar and sig, I love tallstriders too. I've had Hahadori, my Strider Clutchmother, since I could tame her at level 20 back in 2005. She has become more well known than myself, especially after she tanked Hakkar at 60.

Now she's the guild mascot and I bring her to raids over my ghost wolf. Not just because I think she's awesome, but some raiders will throw a fit if I don't bring her either, hehe.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

I tamed the yellow worm rare spawn in Silithus (http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=14477). I still have him stabled, at level 77. Probably won't use him. But I can never truly give him up. His name is SpinySpipi. I used to play FFXI before WoW, and with more than a healthy dose of nostalgia, I named the worm after a rare spawn (http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/bestiary.html?fmob=275) in that game.

Spiritchan

Unread post by Spiritchan »

My Plainstrider.
I tamed her when she was level 1 (and I was level 10).
I've been using her for all my questing (and most of my instancing) needs ever since.
I even had her back when she was a "tank" pet (before talent trees), and even back then people went "y U have chkn?".
Stupid people. XD

One of my other hunters has a non-typical pet as his main companion.
His Crab, Kooki.
"He took the red one."

Another hunter of mine uses a Hyena, Kiche for everything from questing, pvp, and even instances.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

After reading all sorts of posts about Tallstriders here, I think I may just have to go and get the beautiful purple one for myself. =D I fell in love with the colours of the Lost Torranche the first time I saw them, but always thought to myself 'Well, it's a Tallstrider so it's essentially useless.'

I'm really eager to try one out though. xD
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Vephriel wrote:After reading all sorts of posts about Tallstriders here, I think I may just have to go and get the beautiful purple one for myself. =D I fell in love with the colours of the Lost Torranche the first time I saw them, but always thought to myself 'Well, it's a Tallstrider so it's essentially useless.'

A lot of people think that, and they say Dust Cloud is useless.

Tbh, I find it THE most singlely useful ability a pet can have. Simply because making all enemies within X yards miss their next attack every 40 seconds is amazing. Considering it can hit raid bosses.
Gacheru
Realm: Maelstrom

Unread post by Gacheru »

Vephriel wrote:After reading all sorts of posts about Tallstriders here, I think I may just have to go and get the beautiful purple one for myself. =D I fell in love with the colours of the Lost Torranche the first time I saw them, but always thought to myself 'Well, it's a Tallstrider so it's essentially useless.'

Dammit. Me too! Blizzard just needs to grow a pair and make hunter pets go the route of companions and mounts. /sigh

Gacheru
Vephriel

Gacheru wrote: Dammit. Me too! Blizzard just needs to grow a pair and make hunter pets go the route of companions and mounts. /sigh

Gacheru
Dear god...if they did that I'd probably own everything in the entire game.....

...please do it blizzard
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I have always wanted a tallstrider in my stable, but I never have the room. D: I've tamed Mazz on two different hunter alts, plus a little brown one on my first hunter alt (it was her main pet until she fell for a purple bat, then they split time). I've always ALWAYS wanted a purple one, but I've never had room at 70, plus I've only gotten two hunters that high.

I've actually brought my beloved black bear Ursa to raids before, but never serious progression ones. I faintly remember bringing him to ZA once, just because there's zomgbearzeverywhere, but I would think that was after bear mounts were removed.

The closest I got to having a diamond in the rough pet at a progression raid was my dear devilsaur (who is more of my pet puppy than my wolf is). No one else in my guild had opted for a devilsaur back in Naxx. We had a spirit beast and several cats....and Theseus. <3 I love my pets dearly, and I miss bringing Atalanta (cat) to raids, but Theseus, my baby King Krush, made me happy on every pull....cept Heigan, our arch-nemesis (poor dear always died on that fight, no matter what I did to move him around). If I didn't hate the BM rotation for raiding and his hit box was smaller (cause it was stressing me out badly to have him dying constantly on some fights), he would be there by my side.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Gacheru wrote: Dammit. Me too! Blizzard just needs to grow a pair and make hunter pets go the route of companions and mounts. /sigh

Gacheru
If Blizz keeps going the way they are, making things easier and easier, they'll just put NPCs up in towns like on the arena tournament realms, where you talk to them and ask for a pet like that. Not to get off topic or anything...

The red ravagers in Hellfire (big spiky ones) also have a special place in my heart. I just think they look so wicked. My main hunter, back before Wrath, always would tame one and use it, decide to not use it, then decide to get it again...

He was my favorite pet ever in BC, back when ravagers were the DPS king, heh.

Vephriel

Ahh, I remember my Ravager. :) I had one for the majority of my levelling in BC. One of the purple 'elite' ones. When Northrend came around I had to part with it in favour of cooler pets and exotics. :'(
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Jangalian »

I'm in love with the red hyenas from Scarlet Monastary. Well, I used to be in love with them until Blizz tweaked the models, and now they stand with thier heads at an odd angle when in a resting pose. =*(

I'll have to play around with a tallstrider now...all of your posts made me interested. =)
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
Tulune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravenholt

Unread post by Tulune »

Carrion birds by far. I leveled with one, and I will always have one.
lilaughingwolf
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Zul'gin

Unread post by lilaughingwolf »

I've had almost ever kind of pet tameable in the game at some point of my 80 lvls..lol..right now my "new" old school pet is the silver/blue scorpid from sith. I love this pet as a tank pet, no matter what spec Im in this little beast does a great job keeping the mobs off me. It replaced my purple plainstrider.
rubybeam

Unread post by rubybeam »

i do have one of the white worms from sunken temple that i use just when i want to named wormy, i also went and tamed the brown silithid in thousand needles ialso have a white rino and i like them all very much and of course i don't use them in raids because i have marksman on when i raid i only use loki my raptor and my cat tombraider was my very first pet and i ma never getting rid of her
Awesome signature by the awesome pengupuff!
Kroxis
Realm: Daggerspine -US

Unread post by Kroxis »

I had an owl for most of my hunting career. It was a sad sad day when I finnaly released Prowl forvarious rarespawns like King Krush.

See, he has a story with him, as I hit level 10 in Mulgore I wanted a flying pet few others had, most owls were much higher level but then I remembered Night elves have level 5 strigid owls. So as a level 10 hunter just done with my quest I ventured out from Mulgore, traveled carefully along the road through the Barrens, after a brief pit stop in the Crossroads I made my way north stright into Ashenvale. Here a spider shot out just at the border causing one of many "spiritual delays" in my journey. I took a detour to Splintertree Post and placed the fly point on my map then started my way west just to discover one of the many wars between Astrannar and Splintertree was under way. Alliance gave me many many more "Spiritual Delays" before I reached the Zoram Strand. My journey only got harder from here... to make a long story short (too late) I shot through auberdine hitched a ride to the boat managed to run into the portal and die inside Darnassus, spirit ressed at their middle town and went over and tamed a strigid owl.

That was how I met the pet that leveled my to 60 and stayed with me till new age rare spawns got in the way.
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

I love hyenas, especially the red ones. So as soon as I hit level 34 I went in solo to tame the equally-leveled scarlet hounds. It was a tough tame and I nearly died, but so worth the sight of the hyena suddenly whipping around to attack its master just as I was about to kick the bucket :)

Jia has been with me since, from 34 to 79 where my hunter is at now. I never see hyenas and people often laugh at the bright red 'ugly dog' next to my NE, but he keeps aggro fantastically, tanks amazingly well, is incredibly useful in pvp, and is just all-around amazingly useful. I love my pup :)

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Jakalth
Realm: Garona

Unread post by Jakalth »

Well, my first real diamond in the rough had too be my Red and Black Vulture who I named Fallout. I tamed the rare spawn Vulturo in Loch Modan when I finally got the same lvl as him, as a badge of honor, only too later find them in westfall as normal creatures... But after using him for a few lvls I fell in love with the flappy, vision obscuring, lug. He got me through many a tough fights due too the nice balance of stats he had back before BC, years ago. He was a real Epic killer due too the luck he had at evading damage while holding agro.

I eventually replaced him, at lvl 44, with a ghost sabre(yes, a lvl 20 pet) who served me very well. I even used him too tank ZF with a 5 man group once, back in the days, once I got his lvls up high enough. I miss being able too do that...
Redhawke
Realm: Baelgun

Unread post by Redhawke »

My personal diamond is Koosu, the quest crocolisk from Scholazar Basin. Although he is no longer tameable as of the patch, He fights well as a crocolisk and I do not have to be BM to use him. He never fails to elicit comments (both positive and negative). I named him "Slimer". The "Gee Whiz" factor is 10+ in town, and I find his bubbling noise quite relaxing.

Aggro? Don't tell me I'M pulling aggro!