Pet DPS?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Pet DPS?

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Okay, so now that my hunter has hit level 80 I'm starting to keep an eye on the damage meter more and more often. With that said, how much of my DPS should my pet be supplying?

I think I'm doing everything right. I've been mostly gearing for AP and Agi, with some hit too when I can fit it in. I'm pretty sure I've set my ferocity pets with a mostly dps build, without putting points in armor or stamina. I try to keep up a regular BM rotation from what I've read (serpent sting, arcane shot, steady shot, using multi-shot and kill-shot where applicable). I pop cooldowns when I can. And for my instance-pets I have a fully leveled Loque'nahak and a level 78 devilsaur that is almost ready to go--both, from what I read, the most viable BM dps pets.

But for all that, when practicing on the heroic boss dummies in the cities, according to recount my pet is only doing about 38% of my damage (if I'm reading it right...the percentage next to the pet's name is, I'm assuming, his/her contribution). Is this right? Is my pet supposed to be doing more? If so, what am I doing wrong?

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Re: Pet DPS?

Unread post by Chrizesu »

Since you are BM, I suggest going more for pure AP rather then agility.

Here's a thread that was posted on pet numbers
If you go down to my numbers, you may find that actually more useful.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

if I remember right a pet should be doing 30%-60% of total dmg based on your stats, and specs.
We don't die. We multiply.
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

VelkynKarma wrote:I think I'm doing everything right. I've been mostly gearing for AP and Agi, with some hit too when I can fit it in.
Are you Hit capped (264 Hit, or 8%)? If not, Hit is your single largest DPS boosting stat for both you and your pet. If you think your DPS is low, or specifically your pet's DPS is low, check your Hit rating. If you are under the Hit cap, Recount will likely show misses for both of you.
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Hrm....that could be it. I'm definitely not hit capped (I'm about 171, still trying to get gear with hit stats). Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check it next time I can get on Sil.

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Hawkshadow
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Ravenholdt

Unread post by Hawkshadow »

Yeah hit would be good for ya then :)
Depending on pet and the fight anywhere between 30-40% ish is what i tend to see
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

VelkynKarma wrote:Hrm....that could be it. I'm definitely not hit capped (I'm about 171, still trying to get gear with hit stats). Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check it next time I can get on Sil.
The numbers I gave above - 263 or 264 for 8% Hit are for Raid-level (ie lvl 83) bosses. For 5 man Heroics it is a bit less with 197 needed (6%). So work on your Hit according to your needs.
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Ah, okay. Yeah I don't plan to raid on Silinrul anytime soon (or any char for that matter, I just don't have time for it). 197 seems a slightly easier to reach goal XD

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Currently 38-40% is just about right for the amount that the pet contributes to your total damage. That percentage will go up in fights where you have to move and avoid things and the pet can still be doing his thing. On a target dummy, however, 38% is right on par. It is important to be hit capped though, especially for the BM spec. The pet's hit rate is rounded down so if your hit rate is 99.7%, the pet's will be 99%. You have to go slightly over the cap to cap the pet.
Bikutandabis
Realm: Nazgrel, (US), Lightbringer (EU)

Unread post by Bikutandabis »

Keep in mind that as you gear upwards, your Hit will increase with the gear available.
I became so obsessed with having my hitcap, that I eventually had far too much Hit after gear upgrades.
My suggestion for a BM spec would be.. yes get your Hit up, but do not neglect Agility.
Bikutanda aka Birdienumnum, Bikutandabis
US Nazgrel
EU Lightbringer
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Uldum

Unread post by Epicfail »

Some sites to help you with this:

www.femaledwarf.com
www.wow-heroes.com

Look yourself up on both pages. Be sure to set your shot priority before calculating dps the first time. It'll give you the numbers you are looking for and will help you experiment with gear/talents to get the most dps out of your hunter. It actually even has the % of what you and your pet can "potentially" pull in dps to give you a better idea where you stand.

I posted wow-heroes as its a 3rd party wow armory site, it seems to work faster and I prefer the link directly to wow-head for better information than on the blizz site. You can then swap out upgrades you find there into femaledwarf to show what increases you're looking at.

Just my personal preference. Do as you like.
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.