Repost from me from the official forums

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Loffter
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alexstraza

Re: Repost from me from the official forums

Unread post by Loffter »

Rethei wrote:The only reason i even enjoy the hunter class is because of the pets we tame and use as companions and the main driving force i had to getting my hunter past the lower levels. Sure the traps and shots are interesting but take the pet out and i'd pretty much never switch outta Bm ( i always swap between my Bm and Sv specc for fun).

Having a pet it core to all of the Hunter speccs, yes more so for BM then mm/Sv but a good junk of our dps comes from our pet(mm and Sv both have talents that are aimed towards improving our pet)

I agree with Anansi that just because someone isn't specced BM ( most hunter Dual specc to Bm anyway) doesn't mean that hold their pets special in their heart. Sure there are those that only care about dps numbers and don't care how we attain them aka hunters without pet names.
I understand that. And if most hunters spec into BM anyways, then whats the problem? But they dont. Most hunters spec into BM and get imp aoth and focused fire, because its a dps increase. They then put the rest of their points into survival depending on their armor pen. No one dual specs any points into BM except for the slight DPS boost. And again, you just rebalance the DPS of a marks/survival or survival/marks build around not having a pet. It wouldnt really be that tough to do. At least, not for a team of devs that have been making this game for 5 years and a company that we fork over billions of dollars to every month.

I reiterate, almost all serious raiding guilds will make you spec BM in order to raid anything that isnt on farm, and if they do they are hendering their own progression. I dont want to force hunters to go BM, I want to diversify the class and make it fun for however you want to play! Not just "do I want chimera shot or explosive shot? Or do I want to be BM because pets are pretty".

I want the choice to be "Do I want to stay at maxed range, dance in and out of melee, or have my pet deal most my damage and I focus on keeping him alive first and formost." THATS how hunters should play. And as much as I would hate to lose access to the pet, I think the best option is to remove the pet as a garentee and let the hunter choose his playstyle.

Ok, then outside of "I like my pet", explain why it wouldnt work. I mean, I don't understand how people dont love this idea. As I said in the last post, we are pigeon holed and without a major overhaul that may involve making a sacrifice, its never going to change. Its not like my say means anything. the Devs dont give 2 craps about what I said, its the fundamental idea that I care about. We are the same thing packaged 3 times. We are ranged physical dps with explosive shot, ranged physical dps with chimera shot, or ranged physical dps with arcane shot. its the same thing no matter how you spec! You do exactly the same thing and use exactly the same abilities.

When we apply for a raid, if the question comes up "I have a survival hunter and a marksman hunter wanting in the raid, which do you want?" I dont want the answer to be "The marksman has higher dps BECAUSE hes marksman. bring him."
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Loffter wrote:They need to heavily diversify the trees however. Survival and marksman play exactly the same, and BM goes between being crazy good to being unplayable constantly, and even then it STILL plays exactly the same as the other two specs. The only difference is shots you have access to. The game would be more interesting if we had a choice to make, but we dont.
I disagree. The three specs play remarkably different from each other in so far as each is a ranged pet class with the same basic mechanics. Marksman does not play exactly the same was as Survival. They have much different shot priorities and different tools to manage. SV has a heavy reliance on situational positioning, proc management and response to those procs. Marksmanship relies heavily on maintaining an optimal shot rotation and adapting cooldowns to get the most advantage out of procs and raid buffs. Survival needs to tend heavily to maintaining DOTS while MM does not and each spec has a unique way of maximising their core shot for damage.
If the specs played the same no one would have preferences for the spec they've chosen, but obviously they do.
You say the only difference is the shots you have access too, and while this is partly true, those shots make a big difference in how you play your spec.
Then you have hunters, where the only difference between our trees is whether we use arcane shot, explosive shot, or chimera shot. Oh, and we have to use explosive shot or chimera shot, or we wont stand up in DPs. Oh, and once we get enough armor pen we have to use Chimera shot, or we wont stand up in DPS.
ArPen has nothing to do with Chimera Shot. At all.
As for your comparisons, you are comparing magic using classes to a physical DPS class. The magic classes do have wider spell and spec variety, but they also are fundamentally different from a physical DPS class. How about you compare Rogues to Hunters instead, they might make for a better side-by-side. All the Rogue specs use weapons and have a few different abilities just like the different Hunter specs, but they all also use the same basic abilities.
We are PIGEON HOLED. The only way to fix this glaring, obvious problem, is to take away something we have and rework it. If pets had originally been a talent, you wouldnt have complained about not having a pet if you went marksman. Or you know what? You would have leveled BM, like most people do anyways! Aion rangers dont have pets, and they are just, well, petless hunters. You learn to kite! As marksman your burst would be high enough to kill things before they got to you if you knew how to kite, and as survival you would just melee. There is NOTHING wrong with this idea except "Waaaah change! Scary!"
The only way Hunters are pigeon-holed is that we're a pure DPS class, and not a hybrid.
Why would pets be a talent? That makes no sense? And you're contradicting yourself here when you say "if pets had originally been a talent you wouldn't have complained about not having a pet if you went Marksman.....You would have leveled BM, like most people do anyways". So if you leveled as a with-pet BM, then went Marks and didn't have a pet, you think no-one would complain? No, what would happen under your proposal is that ALL Hunters would take the required points in BM to get a pet and the game would have to be balanced around ALL Hunters having pets, so in other words, exactly as it is now.
Talents are there to customise and build your character, class features are there as fundamental cornerstone abilities of a class. WoW is not Aion, you cannot expect WoW to do what Aion does, they are different games.
There is everything wrong with your concept as you are trying to change the Hunter class into something it is not. Survival would be melee? Why not play a Rogue instead? Marksmen would be petless mail-wearing casters, well, we have Elemental Shaman for that.
The fact is, as much as I love my hunter and more so my pet (I even post regularly on petopia), this is the best way to diversify the class in one clean sweep. It doesnt force you to spec anything, gives you total free will in how you play, and still keeps the hunter as a physical dps class at its core.
WoW gives you free will to play as you want to play, there are more classes than Hunters. If you don't like the way a Hunter plays, there are other classes for you to choose from. And if you want to play a crazy Hunter build it's your subscription fee so do as you will.
But what you are basically doing here is a very elaborate way to ensure your preferred spec and personal vision of what a Hunter should be becomes the predominant raiding spec for the class.

As for diversification, let's see what happens in Cataclysm. We're switching from Mana to Focus, so you can bet there will be lots of new talents and re-designed talents addressing how we regenerate Focus, we've got the Mastery system which rewards you with how you spec into a tree and we've got the new Archaeology skill which is there to basically add more variety to how we construct our characters.

But I can assure you that all Hunters will have a pet as a core class feature without any artificial and biased restrictions.
Loffter wrote: And if most hunters spec into BM anyways, then whats the problem? But they dont. Most hunters spec into BM and get imp aoth and focused fire, because its a dps increase.
Why should most Hunters spec into BM?
They then put the rest of their points into survival depending on their armor pen. No one dual specs any points into BM except for the slight DPS boost....
I reiterate, almost all serious raiding guilds will make you spec BM in order to raid anything that isnt on farm, and if they do they are hendering their own progression. I dont want to force hunters to go BM, I want to diversify the class and make it fun for however you want to play! Not just "do I want chimera shot or explosive shot? Or do I want to be BM because pets are pretty".

I want the choice to be "Do I want to stay at maxed range, dance in and out of melee, or have my pet deal most my damage and I focus on keeping him alive first and formost." THATS how hunters should play. And as much as I would hate to lose access to the pet, I think the best option is to remove the pet as a garentee and let the hunter choose his playstyle.

As I said in the last post, we are pigeon holed and without a major overhaul that may involve making a sacrifice, its never going to change....We are the same thing packaged 3 times. We are ranged physical dps with explosive shot, ranged physical dps with chimera shot, or ranged physical dps with arcane shot. its the same thing no matter how you spec! You do exactly the same thing and use exactly the same abilities.
Honestly, I don't think you know what the other specs play like or how they differ in raid and/or PVP situations. I am not going to go into a detailed analytical breakdown of how each spec varies from the others and explain how you are wrong in your assessment that you do exactly the same thing with the same abilities, because if you can't see that I'm not going to make you see it either. And if you can't see it, you are not in a position to seriously expect other Hunter players to agree with your perceptions and ideas.
Ok, then outside of "I like my pet", explain why it wouldnt work. I mean, I don't understand how people dont love this idea.
Because as I said in my initial reply to your topic "Pets play a vital role in any Hunter raid strategy, from keeping adds busy to interfering with raid-punishing mechanics or simply maintaining DPS on the boss while the Hunter tends to other targets. And many Hunters, of all specs, are very proud of their pets and the pet's abilities to fulfill a raid role."
When we apply for a raid, if the question comes up "I have a survival hunter and a marksman hunter wanting in the raid, which do you want?" I dont want the answer to be "The marksman has higher dps BECAUSE hes marksman. bring him."
Only bad raid leaders would respond that way.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

There is one thing people sometimes get wrong.
The different speccs are there to bring variety to the game.

You can specc your warrior as a tank or melee. You can specc your druid to be tank, caster or melee. You can specc your priest to be a healer or caster. You can specc your hunter to be... oh, wait... Hunters can be ranged DD, ranged DD or ranged DD. Interesting, isn't it?

So, no matter which specc you choose, you'll be able t fit in your role and inflict damage.

'nuff said...
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Well, yes, Hunters are a "pure" class. Hunters, Rogues, Warlocks, Mages are pure DPS classes. Warriors, Druids, Priests, Shaman, DKs, Paladins are "hybrid" classes. All things being equal, the pure classes will do more DPS than the hybrids but hybrids are hugely valuable due to being able to fulfill different roles.
Jadvya
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US

Unread post by Jadvya »

Kayb wrote:maybe this is a shock to some people, but not every hunter uses teh BM spec. i'm a marksmen, and if they take my pet away and force me to have to spec a talent tree to be able to have a pet at all, on top of only being ble to you use them off of a cooldown, then i'll quit playing a hunter.

This is a bad, bad idea. You would see a hell of a lot of hunters disappear from the game, 100% undeniable

sorry :( this would just completely and utterly suck
My thoughts exactly, except I'm a Survival fanatic... ;)

This is an awful idea. If people want to play without their pets, and not have to worry about pet management, (what on Earth is there to worry about? IT'S SIMPLE.) fine, their DPS loss.

I am dual-specced BM. However, now that I have abandoned my spirit beast and devilsaur, I will replace it with MM for a while. I would absolutely hate to have my pets be considered just a fighting tool and not a companion out of BM--it doesn't matter what spec I am, I love them, but I find BM to be boring in heroics and raids, although it's my solo spec. Not everyone who is BM is in it for the pets, and not everyone who is MM/SV could do without them. My hunter would be miserable without a loyal beast at her side 24/7. Even from a non-RP perspective, pets have so many different and incredibly useful skills that can benefit the hunter, and it's beyond stupid to think that removing them would somehow benefit hunters.

I just absolutely do not see the "merit" in this. At all.
Valinai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dentarg

Unread post by Valinai »

I went from 1 to 80 as BM. I am not in a serious raiding guild, but I did go through Molten Core and Keristraza as BM. My guild never complained. I chose to dual spec into MM, as a chance to have another play option and for when we do run instances and it would be beneficial to have a DPS boost. But there was never pressure for me to do so. I was playing the character I wanted to play, the class that I chose, a Hunter.

The core of the Hunter is the fact that they tame pets and they can NAME them, unlike the other classes that cannot choose their pets and cannot choose their pet names. It is a class built around the idea of having a companion CHOSEN by the player.

I know that there are hunters that can take or leave their pet. I understand that MM is the best, currently, for DPS. That doesn't mean that I HAVE to play MM. It makes it more challenging, more reliant on strategy and more interesting sometimes to play something that ISN'T maxed out DPS-wise. I acknowledge that there is a lack of a pure ranged DPS class, one that does not rely on a pet for any of its damage. However, the inclusion of a pet allows Hunters to be a solo-able class, something which I appreciate greatly.

If you take away the pet, and make them ranged only - with their sub-par melee skills, even with traps and what-not, I suspect that the Hunter would cease to be as solo-able.

Just my thoughts.
Dragonpuff
Haiku Master
Realm: Duskwood (US)
Location: On an undisclosed island that is being shredded by giant boss fights

Unread post by Dragonpuff »

But... I love my pet! That's why I made a Hunter! So I would always, ALWAYS, have a friend with me. Not just part of the time!
I leveled entirely as BM, and I loved it, but when it got nerfed, it wasn't as fun. Like many people, I decided to give Survival a try once dual-speccing came out, even though before I always said I never wanted to touch the other trees. Turns out, I have a lot of fun as Survival. I like it. And I would not like being forced back to BM all the time if I wanted to keep my pet with me all the time.
All in all, bad idea man. Sorry, but it is what it is.

Either way, Hunters are already slated for a huge revamp come Cata. I'm already apprehensive about that, I don't want to have to worry if I get to keep my pet either! :x
Last edited by Dragonpuff on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taz'dingu of the Petopians Guild, Nesingwary Server

Here there be Dragons (and Eggs)

Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Kayb wrote:maybe this is a shock to some people, but not every hunter uses teh BM spec. i'm a marksmen, and if they take my pet away and force me to have to spec a talent tree to be able to have a pet at all, on top of only being ble to you use them off of a cooldown, then i'll quit playing a hunter.

This is a bad, bad idea. You would see a hell of a lot of hunters disappear from the game, 100% undeniable

sorry :( this would just completely and utterly suck
This, 100%.

I also don't understand how you figure that the three talent trees are identical, Loffter... If you're serious about playing the class well (which anyone raiding would be, regardless of spec - I mention this simply because that's the example you use) you play the class very differently depending on the spec. I don't see any reason to change the mechanics of the class.

Also, as a survival hunter, I'm offended that you think I care less about my pets than BM hunters. :(

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Loffter
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Loffter »

I never said that other people care less about their pets than BM hunters. Personally, with the changes I recommended, I would probly go survival/BM.

It seems to be a common opinion that makeing perma pets a talent is a bad idea, though I dont understand it. I still say a major overhaul is needed to diversify the class.

And all 3 specs DO play exactly the same, the priorities just change. I know how to play all 3 specs, and in the end I am standing in the exact same spot, useing the attack same skills, with the exact same wepon. Yeah sure, BM hunters have to use TBW when its up, survival has to use black arrow, and marks uses silencing shot in their rotation, but I as I said, there is no real variation.

Maybe blizz has a better idea than me. Maybe in Cat, everything will be peachy. We will see.

'I wanted to post one last thing that i put on the forums, to plea my case.

the thing is, you wouldnt lose your pet. in short pulls, the pet is there. the pet is there in towns, and when you are out soloing. The only time this would effect you is on long boss fights, eventually your pet would get angry and run away. That's it. Otherwise, you still have pet attacks, stable slots, etc. Your pet can still tank for you out in the wild. I think that is the part people arent getting. Feeding the pet and stuff would still be there, as always, but in big fights you trade off having your pet there for the full fight for a higher personal damage output, and the pet is on a cooldown. The pet gets angry and leaves, call pet goes on CD, and when its up, you get your pet back. Most trash goes down before the "Timer" runs out, and no one really cares about trash dps anyways.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

The thing is, the love and loyalty between a Hunter and the Pet is more than just "if u dont fight long ill help u but otherwise u sux and i runz awey lol".

This idea just plain sucks.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow US

Unread post by Jakkra »

Loffter wrote:the thing is, you wouldnt lose your pet. in short pulls, the pet is there. the pet is there in towns, and when you are out soloing. The only time this would effect you is on long boss fights, eventually your pet would get angry and run away. That's it. Otherwise, you still have pet attacks, stable slots, etc. Your pet can still tank for you out in the wild. I think that is the part people arent getting. Feeding the pet and stuff would still be there, as always, but in big fights you trade off having your pet there for the full fight for a higher personal damage output, and the pet is on a cooldown. The pet gets angry and leaves, call pet goes on CD, and when its up, you get your pet back. Most trash goes down before the "Timer" runs out, and no one really cares about trash dps anyways.
I still don't understand why you would want you pet to just up and leave because it got "angry" during a fight? And you're suggesting that outside of boss fights, your pet is always around? I don't think this is groundbreaking, I think it would be obnoxious, for any specc'ed hunter.

Hunter is not a hybrid class, so yeah, the playstyles will be very similar between the specs. Sounds to me like you just aren't satisfied with the class. /shrug
Sarayana

Jakkra wrote: Sounds to me like you just aren't satisfied with the class. /shrug
QFT! ;)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Valinai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Valinai »

I guess, if we delve further into the "roleplaying" aspect of the MMORPG, the argument could be made that due to the intense bond between the hunter and their pet, I'm not sure why the pet would EVER leave during combat. The pet is supposed to have that bond, the sort where they are willing to fight *to the death* for their master.

Forcing people to put points into BM just to have a pet fight through the whole fight doesn't make sense to me. I understand the intent behind the idea, and I think most people agree that there are some "issues" with the Hunter class.

However, with the Cata changes, I'm expecting the MM/SV/BM trees won't exist as we know them. With the implementation of Focus instead of Mana, there will be several changes to basic talents that all hunters use, not to mention the new "Mastery System" and general talent tree overhaul...well, November isn't as far away as we might think.

Change is necessary, but to me (and several others here agree) your suggestion doesn't hold appeal as it is presented.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

blizz is never going to implement a system that makes a primary design element of a class just up and leave battle because it got bored. That would make it no different from a party member leaving group mid battle.

sorry, but i just don't see how anyone, least of all serious raid guilds, are going to like such a change. why on earth would a raid leader want to take a hunter whose pet is might run off whenever it feels like it? the pet is a major part of any hunter's dps
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Loffter
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Loffter »

Kayb wrote:blizz is never going to implement a system that makes a primary design element of a class just up and leave battle because it got bored. That would make it no different from a party member leaving group mid battle.

sorry, but i just don't see how anyone, least of all serious raid guilds, are going to like such a change. why on earth would a raid leader want to take a hunter whose pet is might run off whenever it feels like it? the pet is a major part of any hunter's dps

Because the pet wouldnt BE a major part of his dps! Ah never mind.. I give up..
All 3 trees playing the same is bad, because it ends up with every hunter being speced the same, no variation. If all 3 specs play the same, then Whichever is the highest dps will be what people use.
I hope you guys are right about the Cat changes at any rate, I want them to be ground breaking..
Valinai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Valinai »

I think the point is that a pet will ALWAYS be a part of the Hunter's DPS. It's part of the class.

And the Hunter class isn't really different from other classes where there are only one or two builds with maximum efficiency/dps/what-have-you.

As the Blizz staff have stated, they intend to make the Mastery System a way for people to avoid putting points in slots because they "have to", allowing them to put points in more "fun" things.

Requiring a Hunter to put point(s) in a "perma pet" talent would be backtracking, IMO, if that's the direction they intend to go.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

what your talking about then is an entirely new class. hunters are NOT so broken that they need to be redefined in a manner like this.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Dude, you have gotten nothing but bad reception here, would you please just drop this? It's obvious by now that the PETopia community want pets to stay the way they are.

You want a temporary pet? Roll a dk.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Loffter wrote:Because the pet wouldnt BE a major part of his dps! Ah never mind.. I give up..
All 3 trees playing the same is bad, because it ends up with every hunter being speced the same, no variation. If all 3 specs play the same, then Whichever is the highest dps will be what people use.
I hope you guys are right about the Cat changes at any rate, I want them to be ground breaking..
Giving up is the best proposal you've made in this thread unfortunately.

As for the three trees and DPS, this is not unique to Hunters, it is the same for EVERY pure DPS class. I'd even go so far as to suggest there is more diversity in the played Hunter trees than in, say, Warlocks or Rogues. Contrary to what you state, each spec does not play the same. You cannot go from spec to spec and do the same DPS and excel in each one immediately. To claim otherwise leads me to suspect you don't actually know how to play the class very well at all.

As has been said, you just do not seem to like the Hunter class, so perhaps it is not the class for you or WoW is not the game for you (you alluded to liking the Ranger class of Aion, maybe that is more to your liking).
Sarayana

Loffter wrote:All 3 trees playing the same is bad, because it ends up with every hunter being speced the same, no variation. If all 3 specs play the same, then Whichever is the highest dps will be what people use.
Clearly that's not the case. Just ask around here (heck, just read the comments above) and you'll see how wrong you are. In my old raiding guild our hunters were evenly spread out across the three trees, and as long as they held their own (being in the top 5-10, which we all were, reliably), nobody questioned it. In fact it was encouraged, given that SV brought replenishment, MM brought TSA and BM brought FI.

If you've come across a raiding guild that doesn't let you raid in the spec you want (and at least prove that you can bring good dps that way) then I'm sorry, you're in a guild that's buying into whatever myth is going around about hunters at whatever given moment. Find another guild, imo.