Tank Pet Reccomendations?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Ninetythree
Realm: Antonidas

Tank Pet Reccomendations?

Unread post by Ninetythree »

i've currently got a black gorilla, but i'd like to replace it with something different. anyone got some input? no turtles please, not into them. also, i generally only pull out my tank pet when i'm in BM mode.

thanks all :)
Talody
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Re: Tank Pet Reccomendations?

Unread post by Talody »

Boars are really good, so are crabs. I've heard good things about worms, but haven't tried one out myself yet.

Crocolisks are insane aggro machines, but they're loud. . oh so very loud, and can get a bit nerve wracking.

Dragons!
Jandos of <Petopians>
with
Truffle and Glasgow

Ninetythree

i don't mind loud, i ran around with a devilsaur for the first few months of lich king before the great BM nerfing. made a lot of people annoyed with the stomping, roaring and giantness. it was fun :)

never tried a crocolisk before, could be fun.
Talody
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Talody »

Crocolisks have a grunt/hiss they do every few seconds when idle. It started driving me up the wall after awhile. Their special ability, Bad Attitude is nice with multiple mobs. I didn't get him high enough to spec for Thunderstomp, but I imagine that and Bad Attitude would make for some really good multi-mob aggro.

Dragons!
Jandos of <Petopians>
with
Truffle and Glasgow

Sonata
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill, Bloodhoof.

Unread post by Sonata »

Well if you want to keep a mobs glued to a target the good ol' bear is always good because they have a multiple target hitting talent, this meaning if you want alot of targets in the pet, bears are the general grinding pets anyway.

As a crocolisk user, they are very reliable! Made me sad kinda to let my own go but changes have to be made sometimes.

"I'm in SPAAAAACE"

Ninetythree

wish there are a better selection of skins for croc's, only 4 of em. tenacity pets in general seem to have that issue though.
Dulanie
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Dulanie »

I have tried boars, bears, and worms, and so far in my experience worms are the best of those three for elites. But bears really sing in multi-mob tanking.
We don't die. We multiply.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I'm favorable for worms and Warp Stalkers. The worms spit causes much aggro, and has a short cd, so good signle target there.

Warp Stalkers have Warp, which teleports them to an enemy and increases the chance the enemy will miss. It also saves you a talent point in charge, allowing you to spec them differently.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Crocs and Worms are the best single-target tanks, and Bears are the best mutliple mob tanks. But Crocs can also handle multiples as well, so really, Crocs are the way to if what you're looking for is the best tank pet. Worms are also extremely good and provide a nice armour debuff, so if you can't stand the Croc, get a Worm.
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I use a rhino, they look awesome I've never had problem with aggro with mine.
Falconer
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Garrosh

Unread post by Falconer »

I have a turtle and a boar. I always had good luck with my turt and they have the great shell shield ability as well as thunderstomp. Im really liking my boar though.

kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by kamoodle5 »

Personally, I think scorpids are good tanks, and yet Blizzard just had to nerf the Scorpid Poison to where it doesn't stack anymore. The poison being stacked up to the fifth time made it almost deadly. Nevertheless, my scorpid can handle a couple mobs at a time and even he's outdone warriors based on aggro a few times in instance runs (more like the warriors were lazier, :P). This was back when I was in RFK with some folks.

I also like worms for exotic tanks even though they are kinda weird. They're like a tenacity version of snakes.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Heh, I was never into Turtles either before, but then I tried one out and turned out to love them. ^^ They're hardy little things.

Anyways, if you definitely don't want a Turtle I'll throw in a vote for Crocolisks. Their racial is great for keeping aggro on multiple mobs, plus they're a bit more unique than something like a bear.

Worms are a favourite of mine too, I levelled through Northrend with a Jormungar and I just loved his acid spit, it really sped up the time to burn down mobs.
Rethei
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bloodscalp

Unread post by Rethei »

My Worm is wonderful for tanking! Of course if you arent Bm then Bears and Crocs do wonders too! I see less and less Turtles for tanking pets though :[
Props to Karathyriel
Gozu
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Gozu »

Crabs by far the best in my experience.
Followed by
Boar
fuzzy worm caterpillar thingee (sorry I forget the breed)
Gorilla
Bear
Croc

I've tried them all in BM and MM ^_^ When I'm doing AoE my gorilla likes to take mobs for a little run it's so weird - not for a long distance but he will run a little with a giant mess of creatures behind him, turn around and then start getting to work. Boar & crab are amazing at keeping aggro, I've seen mobs leave them and come for me - only to immediately turn right back around and go for the pet again. I do miss my caterpillar worm & croc. I wish I had more stable space.