Cat yawn silencer

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
7seti
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne

Cat yawn silencer

Unread post by 7seti »

Patch 4.03a has applied the "yawn" sound effect, previously only used by the riding tiger model, to all cats and cat-shaped spirit beasts. Since I'd really rather not have my Loque going Raaaarwr *slobber slobber* all the time, I've replaced the yawn effect with a blank sound file.

If you'd rather have a quiet kitty, this is what you need to do:

-Get a blank .ogg sound file.
-Name it "mTigerStand2A"
-Put it in a folder named "Tiger", inside a folder named "Creature", inside a folder named "Sound".
-Put the whole lot in your Data folder. The file path should be "World of Warcraft/Data/Sound/Creature/Tiger/mTigerStand2A.ogg"
-Put the whole lot in your main World of Warcraft folder. The file path should be "World of Warcraft/_retail_/Sound/Creature/Tiger/mTigerStand2A.ogg"

No more slobber!

EDIT: Patch 4.33 seems to have changed all .wav files to .ogg format. You will need to replace the blank .wav file with a .ogg one, which I have uploaded. You'll need to unzip it first; the forum won't let me upload .ogg files.

EDIT 2: Patch 6.02 has changed things yet again. The Sound folder now goes straight in your main WoW folder, not in Data.

EDIT 3: Another change to the folder structure with patch 8.1. The Sound folder should now be placed in the new _retail_ folder.

This addon can now be found on Curse. Please check there for any future updates: https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/cat-yawn-silencer
Attachments
blank .ogg file.zip
(2.98 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
Last edited by 7seti on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:31 am, edited 8 times in total.
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Re: Cat yawn silencer

Unread post by Novikova »

Huh, thanks. And yeah, I don't particularly enjoy it either. :/
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Thanks for the directions. This worked perfectly for me.
oedura

Unread post by oedura »

Ooooooooooooooooh...now you've got me wondering what other sorts of sound files one could put in there to freak people out. :lol:
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

oedura wrote:Ooooooooooooooooh...now you've got me wondering what other sorts of sound files one could put in there to freak people out. :lol:
The sound is only changed for you, others will hear the regular kinds.
Snowwfire

Unread post by Snowwfire »

Thank you, you have saved my cats from being abandoned...which would piss me off immensely being that cats are my fav animal :)
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

7seti wrote:Patch 4.03a has applied the "yawn" sound effect, previously only used by the riding tiger model, to all cats and cat-shaped spirit beasts. Since I'd really rather not have my Loque going Raaaarwr *slobber slobber* all the time, I've replaced the yawn effect with a blank sound file.

If you'd rather have a quiet kitty, this is what you need to do:

-Get a blank .wav sound file. Mods like the Crowd Silencer have them.
-Name it "mTigerStand2A"
-Put it in a folder named "Tiger", inside a folder named "Creature", inside a folder named "Sound".
-Put the whole lot in your Data folder. The file path should be "World of Warcraft/Data/Sound/Creature/Tiger/mTigerStand2A.wav"

No more slobber!
That is awesome. Thanks!
oedura

Unread post by oedura »

Vephriel wrote:
oedura wrote:Ooooooooooooooooh...now you've got me wondering what other sorts of sound files one could put in there to freak people out. :lol:
The sound is only changed for you, others will hear the regular kinds.
Well, that's a little less fun, but it still has potential.
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

I just set this up, and it works great - just in time too, as Loque and Gondria were starting to grate on my nerves... :)
Fishstix
Realm: Shandris

Unread post by Fishstix »

Haha, thanks for that. That noise can be annoying at times. While I'm at it, think Ill change the warlock's succubus demon noise as well. Nothing more annoying than standing at the AH with one of those next to you. So noisy! Ugh.
Snowwfire

Unread post by Snowwfire »

Fishstix wrote:Haha, thanks for that. That noise can be annoying at times. While I'm at it, think Ill change the warlock's succubus demon noise as well. Nothing more annoying than standing at the AH with one of those next to you. So noisy! Ugh.
You find the *whiplash seductive moan* noise annoying? Well I never! lol
Ket Shi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ket Shi »

Trying to figure out how to grab a blank sound file... Do I simply rename one of those "CrowdCheer" files?

Is there any way to see the complete list of sounds? I can think of other sounds I'd like to muffle, like a crocolisk's ambient hissing.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Question: Is the patcher still over-eager and decides to embed any files you have in your Data\Sound directory into the .MPQs, thus overwriting the real file?

I wouldn't mind being able to get rid of that "yawn", but I don't want to do it at the expense of the actual sound.
Foxfire

Unread post by Foxfire »

Any chance you can put in a longer noise and a randomiser?

Load up your playlist of mp3's so that your cat will bust out in random song :D
7seti
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by 7seti »

Trying to figure out how to grab a blank sound file... Do I simply rename one of those "CrowdCheer" files?

Is there any way to see the complete list of sounds? I can think of other sounds I'd like to muffle, like a crocolisk's ambient hissing.
Yes, just rename any of those files. If you try to play them you'll see that they have no sound.

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... Wrath.html

This text file has all the sound effects up to patch 3.3.5 in script form. You can check if you have the right sound by pasting the script into a macro. Finding the right one can be a bit tricky, as the file names aren't always obvious. The crocolisk sounds are actually listed under "Basilisk".
Question: Is the patcher still over-eager and decides to embed any files you have in your Data\Sound directory into the .MPQs, thus overwriting the real file?

I wouldn't mind being able to get rid of that "yawn", but I don't want to do it at the expense of the actual sound.
I've never heard of this problem before. I just tested it to make sure, and removing the file puts the sound effect back. If you're concerned, make a copy of the .MPQ file and keep it elsewhere as a backup.

It works in exactly the same way as the gun silencer mod, and that's pretty widely used.
Any chance you can put in a longer noise and a randomiser?

Load up your playlist of mp3's so that your cat will bust out in random song :D
I don't think a randomiser is possible. I don't know about length, but even if you could put a song in it would start to overlap itself every time any cat nearby (not just yours) yawned. It would sound awful.
Glassdragon
Realm: US - Stormrage

Unread post by Glassdragon »

Does anyone have the original sound file extracted? I would rather edit the original file with a sound editor to shorten it up and take out the slobber part. I really don't mind the yawn itself.
Pelton
Realm: Rexxar

Unread post by Pelton »

Thanks for the tip, I came in here hoping to find something like this. You've saved my orange tiger from the back tier of my stable.
Holgarr
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US - Alliance

Unread post by Holgarr »

Glassdragon wrote:Does anyone have the original sound file extracted? I would rather edit the original file with a sound editor to shorten it up and take out the slobber part. I really don't mind the yawn itself.
This is exactly what I want to do.
Image Image
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

How would one go about using this method to mute some other kinds of pets that irritate people? I know I would be interested in the constant buzzing of my silithid wasp being muted. There are also some other common pet peeves that I'm sure some other hunters would be interested in getting rid of. A few that come to mind are the incessant crocolisk hissing, the stomping sound of core hounds and devilsaurs, and the squee of attacking shale spiders.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

7seti
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by 7seti »

Cialbi wrote:How would one go about using this method to mute some other kinds of pets that irritate people? I know I would be interested in the constant buzzing of my silithid wasp being muted. There are also some other common pet peeves that I'm sure some other hunters would be interested in getting rid of. A few that come to mind are the incessant crocolisk hissing, the stomping sound of core hounds and devilsaurs, and the squee of attacking shale spiders.
The same method applies, you just need to find the right file name and path. http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... Wrath.html has all the sound files up to patch 3.3.5. I haven't found a list for Cataclysm sounds, so you'll have to put up with the shale spider squee for now. Personally I think it's kind of cute.

Wasp buzz: Sound\Creature\Silithidwasp\Silithidwingloop2.wav

Croc hiss: Sound\Creature\Basilisk\Mbasiliskstand2a.Wav and Mbasiliskstand3a.Wav

Core hound stomp: Sound\Character\Footsteps\Giantfootsteps\Footstepsgiant01.Wav, Footstepsgiant02.Wav, Footstepsgiant03.Wav, Footstepsgiant04.Wav and Footstepsgiant05.Wav (Keep in mind that lots of mobs use these sound effects, and they will be muted as well)