Cat yawn silencer

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Alcama
Realm: Draenor - EU

Re: Cat yawn silencer

Unread post by Alcama »

Perfect, thanks!
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Thanks for the reply! All I personally wanted to know was how to get rid of that incessant wing noise before it drove me to releasing my rarespawn wasp :x The other sounds I have learned to live with, and I'd actually be sad if my shale spider lost its squee. I only asked for the sake of others, and their sanity :)
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

This used to be stickied, should be once more! :)
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

7seti wrote:Patch 4.03a has applied the "yawn" sound effect, previously only used by the riding tiger model, to all cats and cat-shaped spirit beasts. Since I'd really rather not have my Loque going Raaaarwr *slobber slobber* all the time, I've replaced the yawn effect with a blank sound file.

If you'd rather have a quiet kitty, this is what you need to do:

-Get a blank .wav sound file. Mods like the Crowd Silencer have them.
-Name it "mTigerStand2A"
-Put it in a folder named "Tiger", inside a folder named "Creature", inside a folder named "Sound".
-Put the whole lot in your Data folder. The file path should be "World of Warcraft/Data/Sound/Creature/Tiger/mTigerStand2A.wav"

No more slobber!
Also, for anyone having trouble getting or creating a blank .wav file, here's a neat little trick I just found - create an empty text file with notepad, rename it to mTigerStand2A.wav (including file extension - make sure your folder settings are set to allow you to view file extensions), and then put it in the above folder - works fine! :D
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Worba wrote:This used to be stickied, should be once more! :)
No worries, it's been in the Pet Resource Thread for a while now.
http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2082
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Ah, cool. Thanks for the redirect!
Syriana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Syriana »

Thank you!!! I've missed having my Loqi with me. I can only have him out for so long before the yawn drives me crazy.
Tyuriwen
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Terenas (EU)

Unread post by Tyuriwen »

Aw, I was really happy when they added the yawn to all cats, especially Loque and Gondria =) Of course, I felt the same way about my Hydra, the background noise BEFORE they were fixed was atrocious, and everytime I went to Stormwind with him I'd get slurs of abuse telling me to dismiss him, so maybe I'm insensitive to the noise.

Walk softly, and carry a big gun.

{My Pets|My Mounts}

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Tyuriwen wrote:Aw, I was really happy when they added the yawn to all cats, especially Loque and Gondria =) Of course, I felt the same way about my Hydra, the background noise BEFORE they were fixed was atrocious, and everytime I went to Stormwind with him I'd get slurs of abuse telling me to dismiss him, so maybe I'm insensitive to the noise.
That's why it's cool to have the option of squelching it - people who enjoy hearing it get to keep on hearing it, and the rest get to play in peace. :)
Sahath
Realm: Silverhand

Unread post by Sahath »

Hey folks, long time lurker, just registered to ask a dumb question... :-)

Do these same instructions work on a Mac, or are they PC-specific? I don't see a "Sound" folder under Data, just a bunch of MPQ files... Been having trouble bonding with a kitty due to the constant noise (same reason I can't deal with non-worg wolves, though I love the regular wolf models), so I'm hoping I can get this working on my iMac...

Thanks,
Sahath@Silverhand
SirTreek23
Realm: Stormscale

Unread post by SirTreek23 »

This was a really old post, so now there is an in game option for you to turn off your 'idle pet sounds'.

If you go to options->sound, there is a box for 'enable pet sounds' just uncheck that box if you don't want to hear the idle pet noises.
Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Vashj, Whisperwind

Unread post by Litlemouse »

You're muting sounds? Nice idea I guess, although for some reason I never get annoyed by anything... except those screams from Thaddius :O I hate those!

Sahath
Realm: Silverhand

Unread post by Sahath »

Most sounds don't bug me, just the cat yawn is just too frequent, and it makes me start yawning, too :-) I will try turning off all pet idle sounds, thanks!

Though I'm now wondering, since this will be a global change (unless I remember to change it when I change pets), if I will miss my other pets' idle sounds... Or do most of them not have one? I notice cat and wolf, and I know about the croc hiss (though I don't use one so it doesn't matter to me)... My current fave pets are a warpstalker and a tallstrider - if they make any noises out of combat, they're either too subtle or too quiet and fade into the background for me :-)

Now, if only they'd add an option to turn off female worgen idle sounds, I might be able to play one without cringing... :-)
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Personally I'm not giving up any other sounds just because the cat yawn happens to sound cthulhoid and slimy - pinpoint .wav fix is still my preference. :P
Ket Shi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ket Shi »

Sahath wrote: Now, if only they'd add an option to turn off female worgen idle sounds, I might be able to play one without cringing... :-)
Sniff-B-Gone!
7seti
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne

Unread post by 7seti »

Sahath wrote:Hey folks, long time lurker, just registered to ask a dumb question... :-)

Do these same instructions work on a Mac, or are they PC-specific? I don't see a "Sound" folder under Data, just a bunch of MPQ files... Been having trouble bonding with a kitty due to the constant noise (same reason I can't deal with non-worg wolves, though I love the regular wolf models), so I'm hoping I can get this working on my iMac...

Thanks,
Sahath@Silverhand
There's no sound folder by default. You need to create one, and also the series of folders that goes inside it.

I haven't checked lately, but I think the "Pet Sounds" toggle only switches off combat and aggro sounds, not idle ones. I think it's more for the benefit of melee classes who are fighting right next to our pets :)
Rower
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Rower »

I love the "yawn" of my cats, Loque and Gondria. It's cute =)
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

For reference, the instructions on sniff/yawn/gun muters will work just as well on Macs. The only difference is if the instructions say to go to "C:\\Program Files\\World of Warcraft\\" or whatever, your copy of WoW is probably in the Applications folder (right or shift-click on your WoW dock icon or shortcut and "show in finder" will bring the folder right up if you can't find it).

The World of Warcraft folder's hierarchy is identical on both systems, and the only things that won't work on a Mac that work on a PC are .exe files for things like the Curse Client or whatever, and most of the legitimate third-party WoW-based applications have Mac versions anyway.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Ket Shi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ket Shi »

Say, as long as we're on the topic of muting sounds...

Anyone know the path to the sound of a Celestial Steed's wing-flapping? I love mine, but the loud whoosh-whoosh drives me nuts. I'd get a lot more fun out if it if it weren't for the flapping.
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Litlemouse wrote:You're muting sounds? Nice idea I guess, although for some reason I never get annoyed by anything... except those screams from Thaddius :O I hate those!
Same thing ought to work for Thaddius screams.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!