[Complete Guide] How to Tame, and What to Tame - A full list

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Re: [Complete Guide] How to Griff-tame, and What to Griff-ta

Unread post by Acherontia »

Ariamodasu, if you need it, I've got links to the Fire Boar, Oil wolves, Oil hawks, Ghost Carrion Bird and Lone Hunter threads on my thread.

Royi--the pet abandon macro is to make the pet despawn at the instant it is tamed. It'll still tame, but it will require a relog to see--and because it despawned before the tame properly finished, the buffs/appearance won't have been cleared as with a normal tame :D
Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

I'm thinking more for the future. I'm hardly the only one who currently has lowbie hunters plus newbies coming along a ones to pshop in a couple of places showing exactly what sticks, what doesn't and how to get it/where certainly won't hurt.
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Aye, it's on my thread :P I'll be adding Wowhead links for each mob, too, but that's going to be a lot of work so may take awhile.

(I should specify that the reason I think it's sufficient for being on the other thread is that that thread is the guide to the Abandon taming method. I intend to keep it bumped and updated in any case, so keep it in mind!)
Ollof

Unread post by Ollof »

:(

First let me say thank you for the work done. However:

The "Spam a macro containing: /PetAbandon()" takes all of the hard work out of these tames. I am not knocking it by any means, but for me the tames should be hard, epic and worth while. Spaming a macro sends me back to BC BM spaming that was SO_MUCH_FUN.

Will I use it? Yes. Will I try to old methods? Yes.
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Outland - EU

Unread post by Griffley »

Ollof I am writing a guide for an insanely hard tame, hardcore pet as we speak, even with the macro.
so hang in there :)
bcofido
Realm: Frostmourne-EU

Unread post by bcofido »

Griffley wrote:Ollof I am writing a guide for an insanely hard tame, hardcore pet as we speak, even with the macro.
Sounds interesting.
I like some challenge :)
Beastmaster of Passion since the Beginning
Proud Owner of Gondria, Loque'Nahak, Skoll and Arcturis
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Griffley wrote:Ollof I am writing a guide for an insanely hard tame, hardcore pet as we speak, even with the macro.
What pet is it? I hate suprises!
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Royi wrote:Griff this is great info :) Thanks for putting it all together in one thread.

Question though, is the PetAbandon thing needed? I'm just a bit confused on what it does, or why spamming Revive Pet is needed for some of the tames. Thanks!
A Brief explanation of This:
Some beasts have an extra Visual effect when they are walking around as hostile beasts.
When these beasts are tamed, they are immediatly "Cleaned" and will have lost the Visual bonus.
Making the pet Vanish immediatly after it has been tamed, skips this Cleaning process, maintaining the Visual Bonus.

Reviving and killing it at the same time, makes the pet Vanish, which is needed to skip the cleaning.

and abandoning , I like to think that you abandon so fast, that you have removed the pet, before it was registrated to you, and therefore it is not really "Abandoned", only Vanished, which is once agian, needed to skip the cleaning.

Hope that was clear enouth!
Last edited by Griffley on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Griffley wrote:
Royi wrote:Griff this is great info :) Thanks for putting it all together in one thread.

Question though, is the PetAbandon thing needed? I'm just a bit confused on what it does, or why spamming Revive Pet is needed for some of the tames. Thanks!
A Brief explanation of Griffing:
Some beasts have an extra Visual effect when they are walking around as hostile beasts.
When these beasts are tamed, they are immediatly "Cleaned" and will have lost the Visual bonus.
Making the pet Vanish immediatly after it has been tamed, skips this Cleaning process, maintaining the Visual Bonus.

Reviving and killing it at the same time, makes the pet Vanish, which is needed to skip the cleaning.

and abandoning , I like to think that you abandon so fast, that you have removed the pet, before it was registrated to you, and therefore it is not really "Abandoned", only Vanished, which is once agian, needed to skip the cleaning.

Hope that was clear enouth!

Perfect :) I wish I had WOW on my work computer to try this out now, darn 12 hour work days....
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

I just have one last request- could you please stop calling it Griffing/Grifftame/Griffguide/Griffpets/Griff-etc? I mean yes you may have discovered the key point about all this but other people have discovered other things for taming pets, and they never dubbed their procedures after their handles. It was cute when it first started but now to call the whole 'tame a pet and abandon it at a special time as griffing' just.. kinda seems silly.

I am just continuously hearing the Yo Dawg I heard you liked trucks so I put a truck in your truck so you can truck as you truck while you truck about with all the griff griff griff <_>
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I was not the first to call it that and i am not forcing you to do it as well >.<
I was just using it as a simple way to write my guide, as you just said yourself, the alternative is a long sentance.
if you want i will call it Ryaing from now on. :P But you do have a point, since So much people have helped since then.

Edit: I changed my big lineup guide a bit and removed on the griffing term, Since I am no longer the only founder of this method, and Acher helped so much with his macro it doesnt really deserve to be called that anyway anymore imo.

I do greatly insist that it should be called something, saying a word instead of whole sentance is much handyer when you are writing a guide.

Have fun taming the new pets and the Shadowform owl i just wrote, im off to cook dinner! :- )

Happy Hunting
Last edited by Griffley on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zwiggy
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: manny

Re: [Complete Guide] How to Tame, and What to Tame - A full

Unread post by Zwiggy »

Chromaggus when he dose his final enrage he gets a 20% DPS buff
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

lets not try those things zwiggy
Zwiggy
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Zwiggy »

already have the results are impressive
Zwiggy
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Zwiggy »

corrupt raptors at troll starting area it lasts an houer though and stacks to max of 5 going to try buru phase 2 now
Heuristic
Realm: Firetree

Unread post by Heuristic »

Zwiggy wrote:Chromaggus when he dose his final enrage he gets a 20% DPS buff
Okay, this is where I draw the line. We're obviously exploiting a bug in the game for these tames, but up to this point for purely cosmetic gains. If a tamed Chromaggus kept a 20%dps buff, raiding BM hunters could and would exploit this bug - and since a pet is close to half of a BM hunter's dps, we're talking a 10% dps gain that Blizzard hadn't balanced around.

Often Blizzard will overlook cosmetic bugs until they begin to affect gameplay and balance. I fear that is we start using this bug to gain a combat advantage, Blizzard will have no choice but to fix it. That would mean no more of this sort of taming. I implore you, and the entire community, do not start going down that path.
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

What he is trying to say to you zwiggy is
"You are ruining it."
Prawlakial

Unread post by Prawlakial »

Zwiggy, don't ruin this. This is a fun cosmetic bonus a la Hydra/Slime.
Zwiggy
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Zwiggy »

think about it blizzard read this website they now know how this is done and dont be suprised when they fix it. Pets are not ment to be on fire or have swords sticking out of the heads the fact they can keep any buff is an exploit and will be considerd so. If blizzard really want the mobs to keep the effects they would make them keep it after a tame like the spirit beasts and the ghost pets.