Shy's Messy Divorce

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Shy's Messy Divorce

Unread post by Kurasu »

Swung back up to Winterspring to check the cats over, and while I was there I decided to test and see if Siam-Rotan was fixed yet. Removed my weapon, punched Shy-Rotan in the face a few times. She went down without ever calling him. I figured maybe I went too fast, so I removed my gun and rings as well, to lower damage further, and tried again. Same result. Then, I decided to go for broke, stripped myself to the skin (and that snow is COLD!), and socked her a few dozen more times. Even going *that* slowly, no white lion. Not even the attempt to roar for help.

I'm wondering: can someone else on the PTR (preferably either lower in level or fairly low damage) confirm this situation for me? I guess it stands to reason that if he's not being called, remove the ability to call him.... but this definitely limits the white lion skin!
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Shy's Messy Divorce

Unread post by Ryai »

Kurasu wrote:I'm wondering: can someone else on the PTR (preferably either lower in level or fairly low damage) confirm this situation for me? I guess it stands to reason that if he's not being called, remove the ability to call him.... but this definitely limits the white lion skin!
Someone reported that it is GLITCHED meaning, Sian is supposed to appear when Shy summons him, but something is screwing up, kinda alot like how alot of other things were broken during hotfixes or content patches in the past. IE the infamous Growl Breaking. So they aren't removing it because they aren't removing Sian. The only way they'd remove it is if they make him a permanent mob like Shy.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

No no. It's glitched on live, as in she's calling and he's not being summoned. On the PTR, she's not even *attempting* to summon him is what I'm saying.
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Kurasu wrote:No no. It's glitched on live, as in she's calling and he's not being summoned. On the PTR, she's not even *attempting* to summon him is what I'm saying.
Then most likely Blizzard either A: removed the ability because they could not fix the glitch B: Removed the ability because Sian is going to be about like Shy is. Because as far as I'm aware they aren't removing Sian.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Maybe they are going to make him a rare spawn? They are putting in a lot of low-level rares this patch.
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

I wouldn't mind if they turned him into just a common spawn that pats around the lake close by to Shy. Simple solution to me really. I don't see a reason why they'd remove him. I just think it hasn't been too high on their priority list at the moment.

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Jäysee
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands

Unread post by Jäysee »

Any Twilight Highland explorations to see if there are any "regular" Sambas' roaming around? Anyone check Sholazar for Patch or the Barrens for Echeyakee?

ZoMbIe BeAr WiLl EaT yOuR BrAiNs!

Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

Pitch is there fine on the PTR, saw him when messing around over there.
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Kurasu »

I can check on KurasuTNF, but I can almost guarantee that Eeya will be left in. There's only one source of the white lion skin at the moment. They wouldn't remove or change that, I'm willing to bet.
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

Yes pitch is still the same and no regular Sambas models as of yet.

But I have to agree that Sian may no longer be apart of the game, in the PTR she does not call for her mate (no emote that she does at all) and nothing about having to kill her mate to from that quest line (it even calls her a fellow.. and him.. though on the bottom its call her the pridemother so.. very confused quest line it is.. lol) ill be checking on Echey in a bit as soon as my char gets there :)

EDIT 1: Echey does come yes and is the same skin. He almost comes flying from the sky lol

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

On PTR, last I checked--about a week ago--I stripped down and meleed her to 1/4 hp or so 6 or 7 times.

She only emoted the "calls for her mate" once, and nothing actually happened. I tried moving her to various places there beneath the rock, but no difference :(

...Maybe they're gonna make him the Ice Cat skin...
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Acherontia wrote: ...Maybe they're gonna make him the Ice Cat skin...
I rather hope this isn't the case. I'm getting rather tired of having to relevel new pets in order to keep the skins I like.

That being said...if he's glitched, he's glitched. Maybe Wain can convince Noah to give us a hint as to what's going on with Sian-Rotam.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I can ask. Last I mentioned that situation I didn't hear back anything specific. Personally I think he should be moved to another area. He's not a saber cat and it's rather weird the matron of a tribe of wintersabers has a lion for a mate. ;) I don't think he'd be removed permanently because of the way that'd limit the white lion to a Horde quest summon.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Wain wrote:I can ask. Last I mentioned that situation I didn't hear back anything specific. Personally I think he should be moved to another area. He's not a saber cat and it's rather weird the matron of a tribe of wintersabers has a lion for a mate. ;) I don't think he'd be removed permanently because of the way that'd limit the white lion to a Horde quest summon.
Tbh I never found it wierd at all. Riding tigers are BIGGER than normal tigers and what causes this?

Male Lion + Female Tiger. Yep, it's proven. Ligers born from THIS specific paring get freakishly big. They're bigger than their male parent and are bigger nearly than male Siberian tigers. You know, some of the largest tigers in the world..?
Jungle Island, an interactive animal theme park in Miami, is home to a liger named Hercules, the largest non-obese liger, who is recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest living cat on Earth, weighing over 410 kg (904 lb).[6] Hercules was featured on the Today Show, Good Morning America, Anderson Cooper 360, Inside Edition and in a Maxim article in 2005, when he was only 3 years old and already weighed 408.25 kg (900 lb). Hercules is completely healthy and is expected to live a long life. The cat's breeding is said to have been a complete accident. Sinbad, another liger, was shown on the National Geographic Channel. Sinbad was reported to have the exact weight of Hercules. Hercules and Sinbad belong to the T.I.G.E.R.S. family of animal ambassadors, who present the "Tale of the Tiger" show on Jungle Island every day.
Shasta, a ligress (female liger) was born at the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City on May 14, 1948 and died in 1972 at age 24. The 1973 Guinness world records reported an 18-year-old, 798 kg (1,759 lb) male liger living at Bloemfontein zoological gardens, South Africa in 1888 (it is unclear whether these statements are accurate, as there are claims the liger was 756 lbs and the year was actually 1953). Valley of the Kings animal sanctuary in Wisconsin had a male liger named Nook who weighed around 550 kg (1,213 lb), and died in 2007, at 21 years old. Hobbs, a male liger at the Sierra Safari Zoo in Reno, Nevada, lived to almost 15 years of age before succumbing to liver failure and weighed in at 900 lbs.
These beasts are massive, and by all rights why I don't see any problem with Sian being a lion honestly. And I don't want him changed either, the ice cat skin deserves A: a completely new mob or B: a completely new rare mob.

Edit: Forgot to say why. They get freakishly big because female lions have an inhibitor gene or switch inside of them that controls how big a lion can get. Since female Tigers do not have this gene, there is no switch off for the resulting brood to have their growth stopped. So in theory a Liger scarily gets as big as a male lion probably would -without- this trigger. Health problems non withstanding.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Except these are large because they're saber-tooths :) And lion-tiger hybrids tend to have low fertility. Successful offspring occur, but are rare.

I have word back that Sian-Rotam is not in the game currently (so he hasn't just been moved), but could be added back. It wouldn't be in 4.0.6, though, so the most likely candidate at this stage would be 4.1, which is probably some time off. I wouldn't worry about them changing the skin and model of the current NPC. I have no specific knowledge, but I think that's extremely unlikely. It'd be nice to get Sian back in his current form somewhere just so Alliance can tame a white lion in a more straightforward way.
Snowwalker
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Suramar

Unread post by Snowwalker »

Ligers are interesting creatures. They continue to grow their entire lives due to lacking the 'stop growing' gene. I forget which way it is, whether the mother or the father has to be the tiger, but the other way won't produce the behemoth that is the liger. The Tigon remains normal size. Just some fun info.

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Wain wrote:Except these are large because they're saber-tooths :) And lion-tiger hybrids tend to have low fertility. Successful offspring occur, but are rare.

I have word back that Sian-Rotam is not in the game currently (so he hasn't just been moved), but could be added back. It wouldn't be in 4.0.6, though, so the most likely candidate at this stage would be 4.1, which is probably some time off. I wouldn't worry about them changing the skin and model of the current NPC. I have no specific knowledge, but I think that's extremely unlikely. It'd be nice to get Sian back in his current form somewhere just so Alliance can tame a white lion in a more straightforward way.
Might be worth posting this info in Vephriel's sticky, so that people know that their only option for that skin right now is Echeyakee.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Could it be possible to throw in Sian as maybe a neutral mob that roams around the frozen lake? They've made it possible before for certain mobs to call out to other mobs in the area for help when low on health, such as the raptors in Wetlands, why not have this same mechanic in work here? It's not nearly as tasking as having the call summon the mob entirely, but would also prevent the lion to aggro mid fight which could lead to far more complications than when the tigress is low on health.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Wain wrote:Except these are large because they're saber-tooths :) And lion-tiger hybrids tend to have low fertility. Successful offspring occur, but are rare.
Actually irl hybrid offspring are usually always fertile if female. Males are never fertile/virile. Or whatever. It comes down to chromosones. I think males never get what they need to sexually mature, but females almost always do. And since hybrids in such a way can't reproduce, all other offspring born are either to one or another of the parent species.

But then well that's logic Wain, logic in a game where i can SWIM in Mercury. FISH in mercury. Touch lava and not instantly burst into a screaming ball of soon to be charred death because irl people can go insane from mercury fumes or you know be toasted because they came to close to you know, a pool of lava.

irl logic =/= wow logic Wain.

Mean I always saw Rak'Shiri and the pride watchers as specific offspring of Siam and Shy rotam, and if Shy herself is a Liger [and bear with me when I say liger over saber toothed cat as ALL but Sambas are saber toothed!] then in theory she was fertile anyways, bred with Sian, and blamo, babies, many babies.

@ Gimlion; that is actually a pretty damn good idea.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Ryai wrote:But then well that's logic Wain, logic in a game where i can SWIM in Mercury. FISH in mercury. Touch lava and not instantly burst into a screaming ball of soon to be charred death because irl people can go insane from mercury fumes or you know be toasted because they came to close to you know, a pool of lava.
irl logic =/= wow logic Wain.
Ryai, but I wasn't the one who started applying a real-world scientific explanation to it. Was I, Ryai? ;)