I need help picking a pet

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Soulhoarder
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Madoran

Re: I need help picking a pet

Unread post by Soulhoarder »

Which has more dps raptor or cat.
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
-Michael Jordan
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Soulhoarder wrote:Which has more dps raptor or cat.
Oo, that I cannot honestly say for certain since I haven't used either in a long, long time (well before the 3.0 pet changes). My guess is that the cat is more for sustained dps while the raptor is better at burst damage. To break it down, here are both the raptor and cat abilities at level 1 (just for example):

Cats - Rake: Rake the target for [rank] bleed damage and an additional [rank] damage over 9 sec. 10 sec. cooldown
Rank 1; Pet Level 1; Damage 1-3, 1

Raptors - Savage Rend: Slashes the enemy with the raptor's talons for [rank] damage, and causes the target to bleed for [rank] damage every 5 sec for 15 sec. Successful critical strikes with this ability temporarily boost the raptor's damage by 10% for 30 sec. 1 min. cooldown
Rank 1; Pet Level 1; Damage 5, 1

So the cats' Rake doesn't hit as hard or last as long, but it's usable more often. The raptors' Savage Rend hits harder and lasts longer, and crits boost its damage for an additional 30 seconds. But the catch is that it has to crit for that additional bonus. Let's not forget that cats also have Prowl: Puts your pet in stealth mode, but slows its movement speed by [rank]%. The first attack from stealth receives a [rank]% bonus to damage. Lasts until cancelled. But it only boosts the first hit out of stealth.

So really, it comes down to what type of damage you want. The cats and raptors are going to be fairly similar but excel in different ways. A cat will keep the bleed on almost non-stop (great for stealthers) but the damage won't be as hefty. A raptor won't have the DoT up on the enemy as much but when it is on, it will be much more painful, and you have that chance for a fun added bonus of your raptor doing more damage for 30 seconds!

My suggestion is that if you have narrowed it down to a cat and raptor, get both and see which one seems to eliminate enemies faster. That's probably the best way for you to see first-hand which beasty is more devastating. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Soulhoarder
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

I really only want one until level 55 (get my devilsaur). So I really just need to know which is better.
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
-Michael Jordan
Arkiss
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune

Unread post by Arkiss »

Most damage rating sites waffle between cat and raptor, so the difference between them is almost negligible. As a personal preference I use cats over raptors because of the extra damage from coming out of stealth, but the raptor's crit bonus is handier for longer fights where its more likely to proc.

Since the 10-55 is a long slog with some drag-out beat-down fights along the way, and given the criteria you've set out, my vote is for raptor.

And in case you should wonder, and in case you should care...on that night of all nights, we were already there.

Soulhoarder
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

If I made a poll for this to see which gets more votes would you guys vote if not I won't.
-Michael Jordan
Gigglemonsta
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Aman'thul

Unread post by Gigglemonsta »

Yes we would vote!

There is little dps difference between the ferocitity pets dps, not enough to make the decision hard. Ive seen full blown comparison charts, but it changes with spec/gear/each patch.

1) Wolf - most overall dps because of furious howl.
2) Devilsaur - Highest dps pet - as in the devilsaur does MORE dps than the wolf itself (the pet), but the wolf buffs the hunter making the hunter do more damage, so overall the wolf wins
3) Cats - 3rd
4) Spirit Beasts - 4th

I raid with a spirit beast, and I have tried a wolf before. The DPS difference is minimal.

The true thing to ask yourself Soal, is what pet do you want? If you want the best for your level go Wolf. This won't be a huge difference however. Id pick whatever one you think looks the best.
*Gigglemonsta - Proud owner of all four Spirit Beasts :) /giggle *
Thanks to Saturo for the signature