My Terrorpene hunt

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
vorondil
Realm: Rexxar

My Terrorpene hunt

Unread post by vorondil »

Hi all. I am new to the Petopia community. It was the hunt for Terrorpene that prompted me to join the ranks here.

I knew from the moment I first saw Nemesis that I wanted a turtle that looked like that. I was pretty disappointed that Nemesis was not tameable. I remember reading in another hunter pet post about some of the other tameable rares in Cata zones. I kept seeing the name Terrorpene come up, but no description of what he was and no npc ID. Wowhead had nothing on him. I finally stumbled on the posts here and could not believe my eyes. I had to find and tame this turtle!

That same day I went camping. Long and short of it is, he spawned underneath where I was flying, I landed and attempted a tame and was owned. By the time I got back to my body a Troll had a new pet. Ugh. Here are the details of my failed attempt...

Server: Rexxar US
Time: 5pm
Spot: Southern spawn area in the lava
Tactic: Haste pot, haste food buff, Core Hound (dismissed after ability)

I then spent the next day hunting for him. Not sure what his spawn timer was, I checked back at 6, 9 and 12 hours after he was last tamed, with no luck. After a morning server restart I camped without logging off. I work in IT, so was able to do this while working. Still nothing. I was starting to think that I missed him somehow. A little disappointed, I drove my short drive home. Fifteen minutes I was logged off. Got home, logged on and there was a little red dot in the lava. I could not believe it. There he was. I had to position myself on a rock I thought he would pat by, which was hard enough. I thought for sure someone was going to swoop down and nab him while I was preparing... Here are the details of my successful tame...

Time: 4:55p (note, this is just shy of 24 hours since I last saw him, and I am pretty sure I did not miss a spawn in between)
Spot: he was in between the two speculated spawn spots. Based on his direction, he spawned in the southern spawn spot
Tactic: NO Core Hound, Basilisk haste food buff, Health flask, Drums of Forgotten Kings and the key I think, Silencing Shot. I went MM for this tame. That 3 seconds that SS provides with no fire damage was key. As soon as I hit the shot I hit tame and never looked back. I took barely 1/3 damage. It all happened so fast, but the result was much better my second go.

I say all this to contribute what another poster already said. Go MM and use the Silencing Shot.

Happy turtle hunting all!