Old school camping

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow US

Old school camping

Unread post by Jakkra »

So.. I currently have gotten a new obsession. I've really taken a liking to the look of pet cats that resemble mounts. I've even gone so far as making a nelf, just to have a cat mount someday! :lol:

Anywho. I was browsing through the cat section on Petopia and came across this pretty skin. The aqua would compliment my troll nicely, I think. Plus, I don't see too many people with it.

I've apparently completed the quest to "summon" Shy-Rotam, so I'm currently camping Rak'Shiri, until my patience runs out and I ask a guildie to help, haha. Never really cared much for cats, but I figured I'd give them a chance.

So what are your thoughts on cats? They seem to be faster in stealth, now... and are there any other "old world" pets you've camped before?
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Old school camping

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ooh, may P. Dawg's blessing be with you! ^.^

It's odd, I love cats in real life, yet I've never felt any attachment for the ones in game. I don't really care for the normal cat skin, and while I quite enjoy the 'mount' models, I went to tame one of those wintersaber ones once and I just couldn't connect to it. I have no idea why. The lynx models are nice, but I'm not too partial on the reddish colours. If they came in like black or purple I'd probably be all over one. x)

As for old world camping, the last one I did was for Humar, which was admittedly cheating a bit since I knew roughly when he'd spawn after Taigi nabbed him the first time. :3 Haha, strange that he's a cat, but for some reason the black lion model grew on me enough to want him after that epic Camping Trip.
Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Jakkra »

Hehe, nice. Humar is a very handsome fellow. And yeah, I've tamed one of the lynx models before, but didn't really feel any attachment to it. I also love cats in real life, but wow ones... not so much. I am rather fond of their big paws on the "mount" type ones, so we shall see.

I've been testing different families recently, to see if I can click with any of them... thanks for the encouragement, happy hunting yourself!
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I don't really think his Spawn Timer is terrible, i have found him everytime i go to the area (I'm indecisive and constantly want new/old/different pets/skins so i get the purple one every once in a while.)

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Jakkra »

I hope you're right. I currently have a lavender hued one keeping me company, which is rather beautiful, also. Gotta be sneaky and careful in the area, since it's a traffic zone for allies rep farming for their mounts ^.^ Already been killed once for going afk in an open area... stupid me! >_<
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Ironically enough (cruel irony, of course), the only cat model I really like is the white tiger mount model in Darnassus that's untameable. I don't like the blue and lavender ones, and the dreadsaber/Shango model is ok but I'm a tiger person IRL so the leopard look just doesn't appeal to me that much. Shame. :(

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Hmm... wouldn't a DK be able to summon it? Just a thought. Most people don't do Azeroth when they get out of the DK starting area, they head straight for Outlands, so perhaps a guildie with a DK could summon for you?

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Oh and to answer a part of your OP, I did camp Mist Howler for quite a while back in the day. He was special in that I believe he had a fast attack speed (before everything was standardized). I do think the blue cat would look good with your troll, though! :D

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Jakkra »

I actually had a guildie who had saved the quest summon Shy-rotam for me, after getting fed up with camping :lol:

Here's a hasty screenshot I took in Nexus, of him looking all pretty and glowy:

Named him Phosphor ^.^
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

I camped Araga, back when she had the ringed tail. However, after all my camping I finally found her dead and gave up. =(

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Jakkra wrote:I actually had a guildie who had saved the quest summon Shy-rotam for me, after getting fed up with camping :lol:

Here's a hasty screenshot I took in Nexus, of him looking all pretty and glowy:

Named him Phosphor ^.^
Wow, maybe it's just the angle but he looks huge!!! Very cool picture, I like it! :D

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Beautiful Jakkra! :D I love the Nexus screenshot, he matches perfectly. ^^
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

Shy-rotam is a she. the quest says so.
Not that it really matters anyway XD

She looks amazing on that screenshot though :) colors look great

Old school camping...yeah ive done that. many times. first was Humar, then Snarler who i still have.
ive "hunted" several rares on alts(or while lvling) including Death flayer, old cliff jumper, Grunter (never ever found him though), Dishu, Takk the leaper, Echeyakee (technically not a rare, but difficult to get for a alliance(before you could have both horde and ally on pvp realms)), Rak`shiri, araga(dident find her at that time though), Mazzranache, Mist howler, snort the heckler, Giggler, Aotona, all the spirit beasts + + ...ive been after so many. and almost none that ive actually kept XD

My thought on cats..i like em, but i like wolves more.
They are good dps pets and there are 22(!!) skins and 5(? or is it 4?)Models to chose from. Many quite beautifull. They do well for ANNY hunter. Bm, MM, survival, hybrid..kittys works fine anny time. though i see em more as a Night elfs best friend than annother other race as they both can hide and wait for a victim :B

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Jakkra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Jakkra »

Yeah, I know it's a girl... but I guess she had a gender change when I tamed her! Haha... sounds like you've done quite the hunting, though, Akyo!

I used him last night in some randoms, and even though he wasn't 80 yet, my dps was almost exactly the same as it always is when running with my 80 wolf. Looks like I've got a new randoms/soloing/whatever partner!

And Edrawr- lol, yes, he does look huge in that pic! I think he was closer to the "camera" per se, but it still is a rather large kitty :D
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

With all that camping/hunting Akyo? I vote that you change your name to Nessingwary, lol

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Akyo »

oh yes. ive done my fair share of camping. even on days where i have nothing to do i fly/run all over the place looking for rares. even though im not out to tame i find it enjoying to find these rares.

Old guild is aware of this(they went horde, i made a horde alt to still say hi to em now and then).
So when another guildie asked what addon that would be recomended for finding rares they said to download a Akyo XD;
i have found them several Gondrias, Arcturis and a couple of Skolls by now.
though i seem to have no luck with the green dino D8

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by kamoodle5 »

The fifth and final pet I got to tame was Araga and as disappointing as she doesn't have the stripes on her tail like everyone has mentioned (I was never around when she had the stripes), she's still beautiful to me. The night before I hit level 35, I scouted through the areas I reckoned she would be while I was killing cats and gaining experience and never saw her that night. I think that was a good thing because if she was there before I got to her level, that would be a big insult to me. A few times I thought I saw her name was really the name of another pet I have that begins with a letter 'A'. The next night though, after I hit 35, I went back there to see if I could find her and my heart jumped when I found her name on my map while my cursor was hovering over it. I was frantic that someone might kill or tame her before I got a chance to tame her, but I went ahead and gone to Tarren Mill to deposit my pink bird, went back and after clearing that area with a trash cat and dumping it, I got my dream cat. I named her Kiara.
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Akyo »

Gratz on Araga(late i know, but anyway)
I never found that cat when i wanted her, but have found on her on a later check just cause i was in the area and bored. I never see anyone with that cat, or the similar looking lionnesses.

sargeaw
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Norgannon

Unread post by sargeaw »

I really wish you could tame the corrupted Sabers. Of course in all my weird growing up in the 80s nostalgia I thought after seeing the pics of the green and orange cats how cool too get one and name him Cringer like the old He-man cartoon. Alas they are untaimable so I can never get a crazy green kitty :(
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Old school tames can be just as rewarding as the new ones, I think.

Case in point...the Great Camping Trip. :D I tamed Humar about a month ago, it was zany insane fun and totally worth it! I rotate my pets on Taigi, but I love using him, he never fails ^^

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons