Heart of the Phoenix Troubles?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valinai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dentarg

Heart of the Phoenix Troubles?

Unread post by Valinai »

I know HotP isn't supposed to work in some PvP cases. But this question is for PvE.

Has anyone else noticed this not working? I know it has a 10 minute cooldown, but I thought there was some sort of animation that accompanied it to let you know it happened or a timer if it did work - I've seen neither, and my pet hasn't returned to life, miraculously. I've had to revive it.

The healer apologizes when it happens, and I say "NP, keep us alive". But I get annoyed because I've specced the pet to do that and I don't see it happening? Wanted to ask here before I made a dummy of myself and reported a bug....
Saturo

Re: Heart of the Phoenix Troubles?

Unread post by Saturo »

You have to activate it manually. Just drag it out on your pet bar instead of, say, Bite, and then click ot when your pet is dead. Be careful tough, your pet will have a very small amount of health the first second.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Valinai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Valinai »

Aha! I wondered about that. But didn't have a chance to test it out - I was confused with the use of "instant" in the text, I suppose?

It's in the hot bar (took out growl since the new guild tank isn't quite as good as the other yet, who always tanked with growl on, even though I didn't notice *cough*) but I digress...

I figured it had to be user error. Yay me!
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Actually I'm glad you asked because I was wondering the same thing. I have since respecced my beasties without HotP, though in favor of more damage-focused talents. :twisted:

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Edrawr wrote:Actually I'm glad you asked because I was wondering the same thing. I have since respecced my beasties without HotP, though in favor of more damage-focused talents. :twisted:
Okay, I don't know what talent you're talking about, that does more damage than HotP.

Dead kitty: 0DPS
Living kitty: 1500DPS

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Valinai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Valinai »

Yeah, I hesitated over the HotP thing. But when I considered the 100% lost of DPS (when you have to stop in a boss fight to rez the pet...IF you can stop running/jumping/hiding behind rocks/avoiding adds, etc) and the fact that the healer's priorities need to be the the players...the pets I use for dungeoning have HotP.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Saturo wrote:
Edrawr wrote:Actually I'm glad you asked because I was wondering the same thing. I have since respecced my beasties without HotP, though in favor of more damage-focused talents. :twisted:
Okay, I don't know what talent you're talking about, that does more damage than HotP.

Dead kitty: 0DPS
Living kitty: 1500DPS
Lol, reminds me of those Visa commercials. Anyhow, I went with the talent under Call of the Wild that increases the contribution from stamina and attack power. Right now I'm just doing solo/small group questing and some 5-mans where I really don't have to worry about my pet dying...like, at all. I think I've had one pet death in the past 5 levels. When I get to raiding I'll rethink my strategy but right now I prefer to have the constant damage increase rather than something situational that I need 0.01% of the time I play. (Yes, I pulled that percentage out of my butt, haha).

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

To be honest the ONLY instance/raid I've been in so far that's been dangerous to my pet?

Gundrak.

The final bosses whirlwind or whatever just obliterates pets. Mine, other hunters, when I tank it, other hunters, and warlock pets too.

It hits -hard-.

But even then I usually have enough mana to rez, mend pet, throw pet once more to its' unfortunate death of go eat that mean trolls face orders.

I've never once had to use HotP or actually think 'aw damn I miss HotP' for awhile now.
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Yeah, I don't use HotP either. Haven't needed it more than a handful of times since I hit 80.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I don't use it terribly often, but I'm really glad I have it.

It does have to be activated manually, so I have it on my pet's action bar. It's saved me a lot of times. ^^
Valinai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Valinai »

HotP is invaluable when you're working with someone who is not accustomed to healing. For example, the Paladin who normally tanks and has switched to healing so that the new Pally can tank. Visits to dungeons with this change in lineup = HotPFTW.
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

Hrm...I've never really used it, and to be honest sometimes I forget about it completely. Then again, mostly I've been running dungeons on Sil of late, and so my devilsaur is specced to do as much damage as possible.

Honestly, the only times she's ever really died are, as Ryai pointed out, during whirlwinds...Felyndril went down for the Gundrak boss, and for Skadi, but those were the only real problem bosses.

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

I have a macro that's great for any fight when you need to stop attacking (like, say, Devourer during mirrored soul) or need to recall your pet:

Code: Select all

/stopattack
/petpassive
If I just want to recall my pet I'll be mashing an attack on the next GCD anyway so I might loose one autoshot. Not a big deal to me (though I know some people that would disagree).

It's just really handy to have on my action bar, and it always saves my pet from Skadi and the like. :)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Kitairra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Exodar

Unread post by Kitairra »

I use that point for HoTP as a throw away point. I know,bad hunter is bad... :oops:

Kitairra