Unread post by Serendipity82 »

Loved it Kam!
Kamalia
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Kael'Thas, Nesingwary

Re: Notches ((RP Story))

Unread post by Kamalia »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:Gear vs. skill is a long-standing argument in the world of WoW. Some people are in the mindset that they'll only take geared people into raids and such even if that person is total shit, others will take a lesser geared player that has more knowledge/skill. :) Your quote is in favor of the latter. :D
Ohhh. Now I get it. :lol:

Thanks, guys! Though starting this evening I'm going on vacation for a week, so the next update will take a while. That and there are only one or two more updates left, and they'll most likely be huge. So... expect a long wait. >_>;

Chibi-Jen signature done by Sat, all other sigs and avatar done by me.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

*settles in to wait patiently* The read is so worth the wait! :D

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Vashj, Whisperwind

Unread post by Litlemouse »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:*settles in to wait patiently* The read is so worth the wait! :D
Yup yup.

And also, ah, now I know who.. Vixix is... no wait... that's not his name is it? D: I can't remember how to spell it. Well anyways, at least I know who he is now.

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Yay! More! Poor Rizz. You know a story is good when you feel so sorry for the characters.
Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

Vixik, Litle. Close - just one letter off! ;)

Glad to hear that, Azu. I feel proud that I managed to make people feel sorry for my characters, haha.

Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

Obscenely big update. Only one more shorter one to go (Splitting that one up because this one is so dang huge) that will wrap this story up!

------------------------

"Ah, great. We've got another one over here."
"She still alive?"
"One sec, let me check..."
Glix dimly felt herself being turned over. Something pressed against her inner jaw for a few moments before disappearing.
"Well, her ticker is still going." A hand gripped at her chin and turned her face from one side to the other. "Hey, girlie! You awake? Hello?" Glix managed a weak groan in response, the sound catching in her throat. She blearily opened her eyes, squinting at the bright sunlight. A male goblin hovered over her, blinking at her as she looked up at him.
"... Karzix?" She croaked, trying to make out the goblin's silhouetted face.
"Nope, sorry. You got the wrong goblin." He straightened and called out and another goblin came over.
"Can you stand?" He asked her, turning back around to study her. Glix swallowed, wincing at her dry throat and the bad taste in her mouth. She nodded weakly before slowly sitting up, rubbing her forehead in an attempt to ease her pounding headache. She eased herself up, then froze. Doubling over, she heaved the seawater in her stomach out onto the sand.
"We got some fresh water back at the camp, y'know. No need to drink seawater." The goblin grimaced and stepped away, gesturing down the beach. She managed a nod and he turned to leave, his companion joining him. Glix hunched over, placing her hands on her knees as she caught her breath and waited for the dizziness to pass, closing her eyes. Her chest ached with each breath she took in and her hair was tangled and stringy from the seawater. She brushed off the sand stuck to her skin and clothes as she finally straightened, looking up.
The white sand of the beach stretched out before her, littered with debris from the boat. A great jungle stood only a few dozen feet away, the calls of birds and animals floating out from within. Glix stared in awe for a moment, blinking. Where was she? She looked back to the beach and spotted the quickly shrinking forms of the goblins that had found her. They had mentioned a camp and, most importantly, fresh water. She swallowed and winced at her dry throat and mouth, then went to follow them.

--

The amount and size of boat debris increased as she walked. Chunks of wood, anchors, crates, and all sorts of junk littered the beach. Handfuls of goblins were searching the wreckage, trying to find anything of value. They squabbled and yelled at each other whenever they came too close to one another and they shot suspicious glares at Glix as she passed. Too exhausted to snap back at them she trudged on, trying not to make eye contact. Her efforts went well for the first bit, until a loud burst of yelling up ahead caught her attention. She pricked her ears, tilting her head at the answering voice. Intrigued and slightly hopeful, she went to investigate. Peering around a large chunk of the hull, her eyebrows shot up at what she saw.
"Get lost! I saw this first! Get your own goodies, bilgesucker!" A female goblin snarled.
"Big talk coming from a slimy little rat. Think you could just snatch this up and run away?" Karzix snapped back, hanging on tight to a small chest he and the other goblin were playing tug-of-war with.
"Karzix! You're alive!"
Karzix's head jerked up and he blinked in surprise at Glix. "Gli -?" He broke off with a wheeze as the other goblin took advantage of his distraction, giving him a hard kick in the stomach. She ran off with the chest, cackling gleefully, then squeaked as the water splashing around her ankles froze solid. Karzix marched up to her and yanked the little box out of her hands. "Thank you very much." He gave her a smug look and turned his back to the enraged goblin, tucking the chest under his arm. He paused to study Glix for a moment. "...You look rough." He finally said.
"I almost drowned." She growled back. "You're not looking so great, either." She gestured at his hair, it looking like it was in even more disarray than usual.
"Well... glad to see you're okay, then?" He offered her a shrug, then glanced down the beach. "You looking for the camp? It's over that way. I should probably head that way too, if I want to keep this thing." He gave the small box an experimental shake, pricking his ears as he tried to figure out what was in it. Glix gave him a nod and continued on her way, Karzix trailing after her as he fiddled with the locked box. Glix glanced over at him, feeling at least semi-glad for the company. A familiar face was something she needed - even if that face belonged to cranky old Bus Boy.

--

Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

"Not much, but it's something." Glix murmured, glancing around. The camp consisted of the remainder of the front hull and deck of the ship, some crude tents pitched up nearby. Karzix let out a distracted noise of agreement, still focused on his little box. They both looked up as someone called Glix's name. Glix paused as he caught sight of two goblins standing beside the boat's wreckage. Upon making eye contact the two pushed their way past other goblins until they came up to her.
"Glix, sugar, you're okay!" Jaxil heaved a relieved sigh, grabbing his daughter and giving her a tight, brief hug. Karzix stood back, silently watching as Jaxil and Alli hovered over Glix, peppering her with questions.
"Look at you. You look half-drowned." Alli tsked, grabbing a lock of Glix's seawater-drenched hair and holding it up, frowning at it.
"Well, mum, I technically -"
"No worries, no worries, we'll fix that soon enough once we get off this blasted island." She said, trying to straighten out Glix's clothing.
"Have we found help yet?"
"Not yet, but it'll come soon enough." Alli assured her, stepping back as she gave up on trying to make Glix look more presentable.
"Where's Rizz?" Jaxil asked suddenly. Alli looked at her husband, then behind Glix. She furrowed her brow at the absence of her son and looked at her daughter, a questioning look on her face.
"Weren't you two together?"
"...Yes." Glix finally murmured. "We were, up until... up until we got on the boat."
Jaxil and Alli stared at her in confusion for a moment, then looked up as Karzix stepped back, apparently noticing him for the first time. They stared wordlessly at each other until Jaxil took a step forward.
"What the fel are you doing here?" He hissed. "You're not supposed to be here."
Karzix glared right back at him. "You scummy little gnome lover. You thought you could get rid of me by pulling that old trick? Sure backfired on you, didn't it?"
"Where is my son?!" Jaxil nearly screamed at him. "What did you do to him?!"
"What did I do to him?" Karzix snorted. "Because of that tampered bag of gold you decided to stuff in his hands, he got left back on Kezan." The goblin watched as Jaxil's face turned several shades of colour.
"You!" He finally spat, his voice shaking with rage. "You did this! You must have somehow convinced those bruisers to -"
"You did that to the bag of gold?" Glix stared at her father. "That was you? But why -"
"I wanted to get rid of this worthless slum scum. I figured what better way to get back at him than to raise his hopes... only have him get dumped overboard."
"Nice. I did nothing to get Rizz a ticket off of the boat, old man. The bruisers chose for themselves. Guess they figured he wouldn't last long on a slave ship."
"Shut it, slum rat!" Jaxil whirled around to face Karzix again, stalking up to him. "You're going to pay for this, slum boy." He grunted and stumbled back as Karzix gave him a hard shove, his face twisting into a snarl as the young goblin turned and left the camp, heading for the jungle. "I hope the raptors tear you apart!" Jaxil yelled after him.

--

Karzix silently entered the camp, looking around. By now night had fallen and many goblins were huddled around campfires. No angry voices greeted him, or at least not yet. He let out a quiet sigh and sat down, leaning up against the smashed boat's side, not feeling up to wedging himself in by a fire. He closed his eyes and thumped the back of his head against the sodden wood, sliding down slightly. He tried his best to doze, but was interrupted by the sound of footsteps. He slowly opened his eyes and looked up to see Glix standing there.
"Yeah?" He finally asked.
"You forgot this." Glix quietly replied, holding out the small box he had left behind. Karzix took it after a moment.
"...Thanks." He pretended to fiddle with it, watching Glix out of the corner of his eye as she sat down. He looked up at her after a few moments, frowning. "You want something?"
"Company, I guess. This day has been hell."
"You've got daddy and mommy dearest, don't you?"
Glix gave him a dirty look. "No. I don't." At his puzzled look, she continued. "If my father hadn't done what he did, I'd still have my brother. Even your company is better than theirs right now. "She said bitterly. Karzix studied her for a moment.
"Never took you as the grudge-bearing type."
"Thanks." Glix curled up, watching as Karzix tried again and again to unsuccessfully open the lock on the box. His ears shot open at the sudden sound of a click and he threw it open.
"... What?" Karzix spluttered, staring down at the handful of coins in disbelief. "That's it? That's what I went through all that trouble for?" He looked up at Glix, the other goblin trying to stifle a smirk.
"Hey, at least you're fifteen silver richer. That's not too shabby."
Karzix sighed, though a halfhearted smile twitched at the corners of his mouth.

--

"Sugar, where are you going?" Jaxil asked, trailing his daughter around as she marched around the small "town". The camp had recently moved upon discovering a Horde outpost and the surviving goblins now had a camp in the form of a Town-In-A-Box. Glix largely ignored her father, gathering up a few supplies.
"Sugar, have you seen that boy around? You haven't been near him, have you?"
Glix paid a few coins for some fresh water.
"For gold's sake, Glix, speak to me! You haven't said a word to me or your mother in days. What's gotten into you?"
Glix spoke to a goblin, asking for directions. She nodded in thanks as he pointed out the way and warned her about raptors and panthers.
"Glix!" Jaxil seized her shoulders and spun her around, making her drop the two water skins she was holding. "What's gotten into you?"
Glix glared at her father for a long moment. "Why don't you ask Rizz, dad?" She replied, nearly spitting out the word "dad". "I'm going to go hunt naga. Bring some bacon home. You'd appreciate that, huh?"
Jaxil choked. "Naga? Sugar, are you out of your mind? You can't go there, especially not on your own! They'll spear you without so much as thinking about it!"
"Well, good thing that I'm not going alone and that I practiced my magic." She snapped back, wrenching out of his grip and kneeling to pick up her dropped water skins.
"Who are you going with? It isn't him, is it? I thought you were a smart girl, Glix. You know that it's all his fault your brother is dead."
Glix stopped, pressing her mouth into a thin line and furrowing her brow. "Is it?" She spat before whirling around, stalking away.

--
Last edited by Kamalia on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

"Karzix?" Glix called out softly, treading carefully through the jungle's undergrowth. She paused as she heard a quiet noise and she pricked her ears, trying to distinguish what it was. "...Kar - mfmph?!" Her eyes widened in alarm as something clasped its hand over her mouth, grabbed her and pulled her down. She retaliated by sending a blast of ice at the thing that had a hold of her.
"Ow! Dammit, Glix!" Karzix hissed, letting go and trying to wipe the frost out of his eyes. "Stay quiet, would you?! The naga aren't far." He gestured out at the nearby beach. Moving aside the branches and leaves, Glix could see what looked like old ruins in the distance.
"C'mon, let's get this over with. A nice naga hide to sell -"
"Split 50/50." Glix piped up.
"Yeah, yeah. Once we get one of those, we're booking it back to the town. Got it?"
"Do you have a plan?"
"Pick off one that's separate from the others and hope we can kill him before he calls his buddies."
"And if he does call his buddies?"
Karzix paused for a moment. "Run like hell."
"Good plan."
The pair slunk out of the bushes and began to head toward the beach. Once the road ended they darted back to the underbrush, peering out and waiting.
And waiting.
And waiting...
... And waiting...
"This is ridiculous." Glix finally said. "I'm getting eaten alive by bugs, every single birdcall is making me jump, and not a single naga has ventured out."
"Fine, let's fix that." Karzix picked up a stone, testing its weight in his palm for a moment. He cocked his arm back and threw it as hard as he could toward the ruins. It sailed through the air for a few meters before thumping soundlessly into the sand. Glix turned her head at Karzix and gave him a long look, slowly raising her eyebrows.
"Great job fixing it."
Karzix gave her a sour look. "Let's see you do better. Don't think you can just fire a bolt at some naga, either - it'll probably call for others if it knows it's being attacked."
"Got it." Glix looked back at the rock sitting in the sand, took aim, and shot a small bolt of ice at it. The force of the bolt sent the rock a foot or so further toward the ruins. The mage shot bolt after bolt until the rock clattered against the side of the ruins. The two goblins watched and waited, pricking their ears as they caught movement.
A naga slithered out from behind one of the fallen stone pillars and glanced around. His tongue flicked out and he cocked his head at the ice-coated stone glittering in the sun. The naga reached for it and picked it up, tilting his head as he studied the rock. He looked around again, his tongue flicking out several times as he spotted the trail the stone had left in the sand. He let out a soft hiss and slowly slithered down the path, tasting the air.
The two goblins stiffened as the naga stopped and snorted, narrowing his eyes. He looked directly at their hiding spot, lifting his trident and hissing. Karzix slowly reached to his side, grabbing the daggers he had earlier unearthed from the ship's wreckage. He began to watch the naga to wait for the right time to strike, then let out a startled squawk as Glix crashed out of the bush.
"Glix, no! Wait, wait! Come back!" He hissed desperately despite knowing the words would be useless. At least the naga was taken by surprise. He opened his mouth to call out for others of his kind, but instead got a frostbolt directly in his snout. Glix gave Karzix an impatient look in between trying to freeze the naga to the ground, waiting for him to come assist her. She let out a yelp as the naga swung his trident around, the shaft striking her and sending her down to the ground with a gasp. The naga hefted his trident up in preparation to run her through, then let out a screech as Karzix's daggers sank into his back. The naga twisted and turned in an effort to dislodge the goblin from his back, hissing frantically as each movement made the daggers tear further down his skin, scales dislodging and fluttering to the ground. Karzix finally fell back in the sand with a grunt, eyes widening s the naga whirled around and drove its weapon down.
The goblin attempted the roll out of the way, but let out a strangled cry as two of the trident's prongs dug into his leg. The naga let out a snarling noise, pleased it had harmed one of the pesky little green people. The naga's satisfaction was short lived and it let out a scream as several sharp bolts of ice dug into its previous wounds. The naga paused to cough, a trickle of blood dripping from its maw. He hissed and turned back around, letting out a keening cry as it received a another blast of icy air to the face, muffling any attempts to call out for help. The naga lurched forward, flaring his crest out and baring his frozen teeth at Glix. The mage stepped backward, alarmed as the naga moved to swing his trident at her.
The naga paused with a flinch. He opened his mouth and let out a gurgling noise as he breathed out. He coughed and retched, spitting out blood onto the sand. Glix looked up to see Karzix standing behind the naga, gritting his teeth as he twisted a dagger deep into the wounds on the naga's back. The naga, gathering up the last of his strength, lashed out with a clawed paw and smashed Karzix across his face. The goblin stumbled back, wincing as blood began to pour down from his nose. He ducked down as the naga made another attempt to strike at him. Gripping his dagger tightly, Karzix thrust the blade up into the naga's throat.
Glix made a face as the naga gurgled and thrashed on the ground, the sand around him slowly turning crimson. She moved around him, giving him a wide berth as she made her way over to Karzix.
"Oh gold, you're bleeding pretty bad."
"I dink my dose broke." Karzix said miserably, his voice sounding plugged as he held his nose. He looked down at his leg, a bloodstain spreading across the fabric of his pants from the two wounds. "...Da's gread. I 'ope I can dill walg."
"One sec..." Glix bent down, tearing off a strip of her skirt. It was ruined from the saltwater and sand, anyway. "This will probably work until we get back. We'll get you a healer there."
"Dank oo, nurse." He took another strip of cloth she handed him and pressed it to his bleeding nose. He was quiet for a few moments, studying the now dead naga. "... You're nod half bad ad fighding, you know."
Glix blinked in surprise. "... Is that a compliment coming from Bus Boy, of all people?"
"Take id or leab id." Karzix grumbled. Glix tilted her head, a bemused smile crossing her face. It disappeared as she looked over at the naga.
"So... who's going to skin it?"

--

"I swear if you don't wipe that smug look off of your face I'll drop you right here and leave you for the wildlife." Glix hissed, glaring at Karzix out of the corner of her eye. He kept on grinning, wincing with every step he took. He squawked as Glix loosened her grip on the arm he had draped over her shoulders for support, and he clung tightly onto her arm to keep from losing his balance.
"Okay, okay. I'll stop." He mumbled, wincing as Glix pulled his arm back over her shoulders. "... But really, you should have seen your face. I didn't think I've ever seen anybody looking so disgusted over skinning something." His snicker was cut short as Glix gave him a hard stomp on his good foot. He continued silently limping along, looking none too pleased on having to use the other goblin as a crutch.
"I say we should change the share." She said suddenly. "70/30 sound good to you? Obviously, I'm the one getting 70. I did skin it, after all."
"That's hardly fair. The skin is full of holes, too - and don't say that's because of the wounds. Besides, I finished it off - I deserve the lion's share."
Glix was about to retort when Karzix suddenly stopped.
"What now?" Glix grumbled.
"Do you smell that?" Karzix inhaled, furrowing his brow. "That's gunpowder, isn't it?"
"Gunpowder?" Glix looked back toward the road, toward the direction the Town-In-A-Box lay. Her eyes widened. "Is that smoke?"
"I hear yelling, too." Karzix murmured, pricking his ears. "Maybe we should hurry up...?" He suggested, then yelped as Glix shot forward. He struggled to keep up, half-limping half-hopping.
They came to the edge of a plateau and looked down to see the town. The pair stood there staring.
"What happened?!" Glix finally gasped, her eyes wide. The town's cannon defenses were smoking from use and panicked goblins scurried to and fro. Some kind of other humanoid things were in the town below as well. She and Karzix exchanged glances and they began to make their way down.

Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

"What's going on here? What happened?" Glix demanded to the nearest goblin once they had reached the town. The goblin gave her a strange look.
"Where were you? It was an attack by those pygmy things. Hundreds of them! Looks like we've beaten them back for now, though." The goblin gave the road a wary glance before continuing. "They took quite a few goblins captive, too. Your buddy need healing, by the way? You can find some help over there." She gave Karzix a quick once-over as she gestured over to a small group of goblins. "You two get caught in the attack? You sure look rough."
"Nagas." Karzix simply grumbled as Glix lugged him away to the nearest healer. She leaned back against the side of a building as Karzix was tended to, rubbing her face. Could this day possibly get any wor - oh, fel. She straightened, looking around the town. Oh, fel, oh fel. She nearly ran up to the goblin from before and she turned to give Glix a questioning look.
"You said those pygmies took some of our people captive?" She asked, her eyes wide.
"Yeah, that's what I said. Is someone you know missing?" The goblin blinked and shrugged to herself as Glix ran off again. The mage lapped the town three times, each search becoming more desperate. She approached goblins, listing off descriptions only to walk away disappointed. She ventured into each building, peering in and making sure she had investigated every corner.
"... Dad?" She called into the last building. Glix swallowed as nothing answered but her own echo. "Mom?" She pushed the door open and peered around. The building was dark, all of the power redirected to the cannons for maximum power. "Daddy?"
Nothing answered.

Karzix tenderly rubbed his nose, scowling at its crookedness. Damned lazy healers. He looked up as Glix passed by without so much as looking at him. "Glix, where are you going?" Karzix called, raising his eyebrows as he spotted the goblin heading for the small town's exit. She ignored him, continuing on her way. "Hey, Glix!" The male goblin picked up his pace and caught up, darting in front of her and holding his hands up. "You can't go out there. There could still pygmies out there, and they could... is... something wrong?" He tilted his head at her distressed expression.
"My mother and father are gone. The pygmies must have taken them." She tried to shove past him, gritting her teeth as he grabbed hold of her arm and yanked her back.
"Whoa, hey. What do you think you're doing? You're not thinking of just going and trying to save them yourself, are you? Don't be an idiot; you'll get killed." He snapped.
"Who knows what those things will do to them?"
"Why does it matter to you? I thought you hated them!"
Glix looked away, clenching her fists. "I'm furious at my dad. But that doesn't mean I want him to be dead."
"You prefer it if you're dead? You really think you can just waltz over to wherever those pygmies are hiding and save them?" At Glix's silence, Karzix continued. "They're sending some goblins to the pygmy town to try and save the captives. Maybe your parents will be found."
Glix wrenched herself away, avoiding eye contact. She took in a breath as if she were going to yell at him, then closed her mouth. "And here I thought you'd be glad to see me gone, Bus Boy." She finally hissed.
Karzix opened his mouth to snap back at her, then faltered as he tried to come up with something to say. Glix ignored his vaguely confused expression and moved past him, head held high as she went back into the town like it was her own idea. Once she was far enough away her ears drooped dejectedly and she moved off to a secluded corner, sitting down and curling up.
Karzix stared absently ahead, puzzled by the mage's question. By all means, the stupid girl should go ahead and learn her lesson. He shouldn't have even bothered trying to stop her. He shook his head and scowled to himself, turning back around to go back inside the town.

--

"We're under attack!" A voice shrieked out, breaking the silence of the town. Karzix's eyes shot open and he groggily stumbled to his feet, looking around. It appeared to be early morning, the sun only just starting to rise over the ocean. Goblins were springing to their feet, seizing weapons and running to the outskirts of the town. Wondering what it was this time, Karzix carefully ventured forward, holding onto his daggers' hilts.
At first, he couldn't tell what was going on. It appeared as though it was a mess of goblins all fighting amongst themselves. He furrowed his brow in confusion until one of the goblins broke off from the fighting. Karzix's eyes widened at the goblin's rotting flesh and he took a step back. The zombie caught the movement and began to shuffle toward him, letting out a grunting moan. It groaned again as a blast of ice smashed into its side and it went down. Karzix looked up to see Glix, an equally alarmed look on her face.
"What the fel is going on?" She asked him, her voice shaking slightly. "Where did these.... things come from?"
"I don't want to know, thank you very much. Oh, watch it -!" He grabbed her sleeve and tugged her out of the way as another walking corpse came up from behind and swung at her. Karzix flung his weight forward, sinking his dagger between the zombie's eyes. He shrieked as the normally mortal wound did nothing to stop it and it wrapped its decayed hands around his arm, opening its mouth to try and bite down. Karzix tried to yank his arm away, flinching as another blast of ice struck the zombie square in the face.
"That's twice I've saved you within five minutes. You owe me." Glix shot him a nervous grin. "Try to avoid getting eaten next time?"
"Same to you." Karzix replied gruffly. She nodded and he watched her turn and leave for the battle.

Karzix paused to catch his breath, staying farther away from the battle. The zombies came in a steady stream, though the cannons had been doing their fair job keeping most of them beaten back. Goblins in the town worked on taking care of any of the walking corpses that managed to slip by. Karzix straightened, making his way back to the fighting when he caught a cry.
"Dammit, what are you doing?! Get rid of it, don't just stand there!" He heard a goblin manning one of the cannons yell. Karzix tilted his head, shoving his way past others to see what was going on. He stopped short, eyes widening at what he saw.
Glix was standing frozen in the center of the battlefield, staring ahead with a horrified look on her face. A goblin zombie was shuffling toward her, its dead and sunken eyes focused hungrily on her.
"Dad?" She whimpered. Jaxil didn't respond to the words, lurching forward and letting out a guttural snarling sound. The undead goblin stumbled to the side as Karzix slammed into him. Jaxil turned his head and growled, moving to clumsily swipe at the other goblin. Karzix easily avoided him and looked back at the goblin he bumped into.
"I need that, thank you very much." He snatched the goblin's mace out of his hands and swung it toward Jaxil. The mace connected with the dead goblin's skull, producing a wet cracking noise as his head snapped to the side. Jaxil let out a strangled groan, stumbling back as a section of his skull caved in. He snapped his teeth at Karzix and reached out for him, but was instead blasted to the side by a powerful frostbolt. He lay crumpled on the ground and twitched for a moment before going still.
Karzix took in a few breaths, then glanced at Glix. She stood staring silently at her father, her eyes wide and breathing hard. She backed up several steps before turning and disappearing into the crowd, back inside the town. Karzix watched her leave, then looked back down at Jaxil's corpse.
Well... at least they knew now what those pygmies were capable of doing.

--

Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

"Uh, hey."
"What do you want?" Glix asked, her voice expressionless. She simply stared out at the ocean, sitting a fair distance away from the town. Most likely to escape the smell of the corpses - the zombie remains had been piled high and set on fire. Karzix glanced back at the town, oily black smoke rising up into the sky from just outside its outskirts. No one had wanted to drag the bodies any further, but now the town was going to reek for hours. He turned his attention back to the mage.
"I... found your mother. Thought you should know."
Glix was silent for a moment. "She was one of those things, wasn't she?"
"...Yeah."
Glix nodded wordlessly, her brow furrowing. Karzix simply stood there, awkwardly shifting his weight.
"I think I'm just gonna..." Karzix gestured to the town, backing up. He turned his back to her and began to take a few steps in the Town-In-A-Box's direction. His ears swiveled back as he heard some kind of unusual sound and he looked over his shoulder, blinking in surprise.
Apparently, Glix had mistakenly believed he was far enough away not to hear her. Karzix blinked again at her turned back, watching her shoulders shake with her muffled sobbing. He swallowed and looked around, appearing clueless on how to react to this. He should be heading back to town, that's what he should be doing - so why weren't his blasted feet carrying him there? What were his feet doing, anyway? This was the direction opposite to the town.
Glix froze as she noticed a shadow come up from behind her and she whirled around. She blinked at the sight of Karzix standing there, a confused look on his face. She hastily wiped her eyes and sniffed, taking in a deep breath to steady her breathing. "Why are you still here?" She asked, wincing as her voice hitched with her breath.
Karzix simply and quite honestly shrugged. Glix tilted her head in confusion, watching as he sat down. He paused, looking slightly uncomfortable. "You're, uh... upset, huh?"
"Thanks for noticing, Captain Obvious." She scowled, swiping at her eyes again. "Usually that's something that happens when you come face-to-face with your zombified father. And learn that your mother suffered the same fate. And also see your brother get - for gold's sake..." She grit her teeth together, furiously wiping at her eyes as fresh tears spilled over.
Karzix stared dumbly at her as she struggled not to burst into tears in front of him. He shifted his weight in discomfort, glancing around before starting to study her, thinking. She stared back at him with her red eyes, tilting her head slightly as she tried to figure out what he was doing.
She, Karzix grudgingly admitted and slowly began to realize, was about the closest thing he had ever had to a good friend. "Friends" back in the slums typically meant "Okay, I might not stab you in the back as quickly as that other guy. Probably." From what he could guess of the tearful mage before him, that was hardly the case. It was an alien, though not at all unpleasant, idea. It was something someone could use when trying to survive on a mysterious island.
"What's up with you?" Glix asked, peering at him with some curiosity.
Karzix was silent for a few seconds. "Sucks, don't it?" He finally managed to say. Glix blinked, crinkling her brow.
"Uh, how about yes?" She replied, a hint of anger to her voice. "My family is dead. What, you think I'm just fine and dandy about that? Of course it 'sucks'! Do you even understand -"
"Yes. Er, and no. But a little. I can kind of relate, in terms of life generally being terrible."
"We're stuck on an island in the middle of nowhere with hardly a gold piece to our names. Yeah, it's... not going so hot for any of us right now, is it?" Glix rubbed her brows and let out a weary sigh. She paused and looked back up at Karzix, quiet for a moment as she watched him silently stare out at the waves. "But that's not what you mean, is it?" Karzix remained silent, pressing his lips together to form a thin line. Glix scooted over until she was beside him, giving him a calculating look. "Shall we have ourselves a pity party?"
"Pity party?"
"Sure. What's the fun of moping all by yourself?" She let out a halfhearted laugh, then looked expectantly at the other goblin, her small smile fading as he cast his eyes down. He shook his head slightly and glanced at her.
"Well..." He began hesitantly. "You know, it was just a normal day. Trying to scrape by like any proper slum rat. And then..." Karzix paused, looking down again. Glix tilted her head, watching him carefully.
"And then?"
"And then, I just..." He shook his head. "...I just get attacked by this nutty mage girl. Absolutely insane, shrieking at the top of her lungs like some kind of banshee." Glix's eyebrow shot up. She sniffed again and wiped one of her eyes, squinting at him.
"Huh. Sounds pretty harrowing."
"Oh, yeah. You should've seen the goblin she was with. He was wielding some kind of insane, super-technological weapon. Sort of like a club, I suppose, but -"
"Horrifyingly devastating?" Glix let out a small chuckle, managing a halfhearted smile.
"You got it. They beat me into submission and took me deep into their lair where I was at the mercy of their leader. Truly horrifying experience, let me tell you." Karzix shuddered at the memory. "I'm lucky I survived." Glix rolled her eyes, though her small smile had grown. She leaned back, listening as Karzix recited his "slightly" exaggerated and "chilling" stories about how he survived. When he was finished he sat there awkwardly for a moment, then offered her a shrug. Glix shook her head with a soft laugh, easing herself up onto her feet.
"Never expected to see that side of you, Bus Boy. Or for you to survive that many explosions, hmm?"
Karzix shrugged again, standing up as well. "Eh, you wouldn't believe the stuff you can learn on the stree-" His voice abruptly trailed off as Glix stepped forward and gave him a tight hug. She moved back, offering him a small, tired smile.
"Thanks, Bus Boy. I needed that. I'm just gonna head back to the town, 'kay? See you there, I guess." She gave him a grateful nod and moved past, heading toward the buildings just along the beach. Karzix stood still, staring blankly ahead with his ears slowly folding back.
"Ill" was the first word his mind went to, but even then that didn't sound quite right. He was nearly positive he had been sick at least once with everything but the plague, but these symptoms were something unfamiliar; something alien. Some kind of rare jungle fever that would kill him in a matter of hours, perhaps? Troubled, he glanced over his shoulder to watch Glix as she disappeared into the town. In the few seconds her body had pressed up against his, his insides had felt as though they had been squeezed tight with a sudden jolt. Karzix shook his head and furrowed his brow, trying to ignore the lingering sensation and to attempt to recall what she had told him - it had been unusually difficult to focus on what she had been saying. He quite suddenly pushed his thoughts aside, nervously refusing to dwell on this. He brushed off any remaining sand on his clothes and turned to leave for the town, forcing his face into an expressionless mask.

-------------

Link to next part.
Last edited by Kamalia on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Vashj, Whisperwind

Unread post by Litlemouse »

Nooo, I need moar! xD

And also, this part made me sad. (well the part about the zombified parents anyway) :(

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

D'aaw, Karzix. It was sad, but I love his "chilling" story. xD
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Love this story! :D
Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

Litlemouse wrote:Nooo, I need moar! xD
You greedy little thing, wasn't a five post update enough? :P :lol:

As usual - thanks, guys!

Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

A very bittersweet end to this part of the tale. I loved it. So much.

Nahale
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Nahale »

Last edited by Nahale on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

Wow, thank you. I never thought my silly little story could garner this much approval!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Belated response but this is so awesome! :D I about cried on the bit about Glix's parents although, I'm not gonna lie, I'd been expecting them to die at some point in the story. >_> I'm so horrible. Anyway, great read as always Kam. :D

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

My story has the capability to make someone almost cry? Awesome! Er - *cough* - thanks, Tyger. xD