I think my favorite bit was where Jaxil and Karzix were talking about jail. xD
Kamalia
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Kael'Thas, Nesingwary

Re: Notches ((RP Story))

Unread post by Kamalia »

Thanks, guys! :D

Just as a bit of forewarning - I've hit a little bit of a writers block, so the next update might take a bit longer. After that I've got a fairly good idea of what to write about, so once I get over that hurdle it will probably speed up again.

Chibi-Jen signature done by Sat, all other sigs and avatar done by me.

Serendipity82
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

Take your time Kam, I will camp this thread. *pulls out lawn chair, soda, and a bag of chips*
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I'm a little late to the party here, but that was an excellent and humorous read Kam. :D

Good luck with the writer's block as well; I know how you feel. x_x

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

Holy update, batman. This is extremely long. Unfortunately, it might also be the most boring as this is mostly character interaction, it's very dialog heavy, and it was tough to write this part for some reason. Sorry guys. More exciting action stuff that is actually interesting to read shall be coming soonish.

----------------------------------------------------

"I don't know what dad is thinking." Glix grumbled to her brother, glaring down at the spellbook she had hidden amidst the papers scattered around the table. The pair went quiet and Glix quickly covered the book up, busying herself with pretending to scribble down notes and calculations as Jaxil walked past. "As I was saying," she continued once their father was out of hearing range. "The guy's going to give us nothing but trouble, even if everyone is watching him like a hawk. Seriously, why can't we just dump him on the bruisers and be on with our merry selves?"
"Two words: No pay. He's working for free to make up some fake debt - you really think it's such a great idea to just give that away?" Rizz replied in a distracted tone, staring intently down at the numbers scrawled on the sheet he held. Glix scoffed.
"Free, sure. Think dad is considering how many customers he's probably driving away with that charm of his?" She nodded at the goblin across the room. He was wearing his seemingly permanent scowl as he cleared off tables, glaring at anyone who dared come any closer than five feet away.
"Yeah, okay, he's a piece of work, that one. I'll give you that. You going to help me with this, by the way?"
"No. I'm busy studying."
"On the best way to give yourself frostbite?" Glix twisted around at the unfamiliar voice, staring. Karzix cast her a glance as he walked by, failing to hide his smirk.
"What did you say, Bus Boy?" She growled, referring to the "affectionate" nickname the other workers had decided to bestow upon him. He pointedly ignored her, going right past and through the doors to the kitchen. Glix turned back around and gave her brother a look, as if to say "See what I mean?". Rizz sighed, his glasses getting bumped up onto his brow as he reached up to pinch the bridge of his nose.
"Just ignore him, Glix..."
Glix slumped down in her chair, pulling her book out from underneath the mess of papers and sullenly staring into it, not caring by this point if one of her parents came over and started yelling at her for not giving Rizz a hand. Frostbite, pah. She's show that arrogant slum rat. Maybe ice his boots to the floor again? Or freeze dishes to tables when he wasn't looking? Ha, let's see him try to clear that off! Yes, it was immature... but it would feel so satisfying.
"What are you smirking about?"
"Nothing," Glix quickly said, wiping the look off of her face at her brother's baffled expression. He shook his head and she returned to trying to simultaneously study and brew up some way to get back at the other goblin for his comment.

After a few minutes had passed, Glix glanced up at the clock. "I should get going."
"What? Where? I thought you were actually going to give me a hand with this! Profits don't calculate themselves, you know."
"Hey, there we go! You invent something that can do just that. We'll get rich, and you won't have to waste time crunching numbers. As for where I'm going... didn't I already tell you? Mage training, remember?"
"Ah, yes. You have some kind of big thing today, right?"
"That "some kind of big thing" happens to be when we show what we've learned. If we can prove we're good at what we do, we're allowed to start studying our specialty."
"...What?"
"Never mind, just stick to your numbers. I'll see you later - as a fully fledged fire mage trainee!"
"I don't think you're considered fully-fledged if you're a trainee..."
"You know what I mean." Glix rolled her eyes and tucked her book under her arm, marching out with her head held high.

--

"Hey, how's our little fire mage?" Rizz grinned at the sight of his sister coming through the doorway, pushing aside stacks of paper to get a better look at her. His smile faded as she simply stared at him before looking away, marching right past and into the kitchen. Rizz winced as the swinging doors slammed against the wall from the force of her pushing them open.
Glix stuffed her burned hands in the bowl of icy water she had prepared, closing her eyes and thumping her forehead against the countertop. Her hands had been healed, but they itched terribly and she hoped that the cool water would help sooth them. She let out drawn-out sigh, then stiffened as she heard the soft whoosh of the door swinging open. "Rizz, could you please just lea - oh. It's you." She narrowed her eyes, her ears swiveling back at the sight of Karzix standing there, holding the door open. "What do you want, Bus Boy?"
She could tell he was sorely tempted to make some smart comment. She balled her hands into fists, imagining what it would be like to punch him directly in the smug smile of his. Before Karzix could open his mouth, he was shoved aside. He blinked and stumbled back as Alli stormed into the room.
"Glix, where the fel were you?" She asked, straining to keep her voice calm. Glix swallowed, wringing her hands.
"Well, there was this important thing I had to go to today -"
"More important than helping Rizz out? Than staying here, at your job?"
"Yes. No! I mean, it was... I couldn't just miss out on it! Mother, I can't just catch up on the class. If I didn't go, I wouldn't be able to -"
"Listen, Glix. This business has run in the family for years. Is some mage training really more important than that?"
"No, no! It was just one class..."
"One class? No, it's been more than that. Glix, you've been skipping out more and more. It's not just your mage classes, either."
"She's right, Glix." Glix looked up as her father entered the room, lured by the sound of his wife's distressed tone of voice. "You can't just drop out on us. Rizz has been working all day trying to get all of our calculations for our sales right... because you weren't there. Glix, without knowing those things, we could be getting cheated out of our money for all we know. Our hard-earned gold could be getting nicked right underneath of our noses. Especially with our new... employee." Jaxil cast a sideways glance over at Karzix, who was still standing awkwardly by the doorway. Karzix shot him a glare in return.
"I know, I know!" Glix wearily rubbed her face. "Like I said, I had to go. If I didn't, I would either have to give everything up or pay a ton of gold to convince the trainer to give me another chance."
"Great, so all of our gold is going down the drain now. Glix..." Allie sat down with a sigh. "Look, you want to live a good life?"
"Yes?"
"Then start paying attention to business. You're never going to be able to handle this place on your own."
"Well, fine! Maybe Rizz can do it all - he seems capable enough!" Glix snapped back, going silent when her parents gave her a glare.
"He's capable because he works at it. While you only seem determined to learn your... magician training."
"Mage, dad." Glix quietly corrected.
"Close enough. Tell me, what exactly do you plan to do with your training? I don't understand why you're flushing all of your hard-earned gold down the drain for something that won't help you at all."
"Well, you see -"
"Since when have magic tricks ever earned anyone good gold? Never, that's when! Sugar, we're only saying this 'cause we're worried about you, right? Right. Drop the classes, hon, and just focus on your actual job. It'll work better in the long run." Jaxil, tired of this conversation, simply offered his daughter a pat on the shoulder and stood up, walking out of the room. Allie followed after him, shaking her head. Glix slumped down to the floor, looking glumly down at her burned hands.
The fact they had to almost always have someone who knew first aid standing by during previous classes seemed to have tipped her trainer off. He had been extremely hesitant to have Glix show her fire spells, but she had been insistent. Several minutes later, anything and everything that was flammable had burst into flames. She had been quickly turned away from the path of a fire mage, her trainer firm on having her practice skills in the frost area, seeing how her practices in the fire or even arcane magics simply resulted in chaos. Glix rested her forehead on her knees.
Nothing but a lousy frost mage. A lousy frost mage that wasn't good at business, apparently.
She jerked her head up as she heard a quiet shuffling. "What are you still here for?" She demanded, her voice tight. Karzix was silent, his smug expression gone. Apparently, he had decided to stick around for the fight. Well, that was great. Fantastic.
"Get lost," Glix simply muttered, looking miserable. She couldn't get a word in edgewise with her parents - how could she expect an argument with Bus Boy of all people to go any better? However, to her mild surprise, he did as such and left without even saying a word.

--

Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

Glix watched with mild amusement as Karzix tried to tug frozen cups of water off of a table across the room. Jerk still deserved it. He had probably jinxed her with that comment of his a few days ago.
"How old are you again?" Glix shot her brother a smirk at his comment and he shook his head, trying to force back a grin. Glix chuckled, then winced at the sound of something breaking followed by a curse. She looked over to see that a piece of one of the plates had broken off from Karzix's fruitless tugging.
"Something the matter, Bus Boy?" She plastered an innocent expression on her face as he glowered at her. He shook his head and looked away, heading to the kitchen.
"Bus Boy has been acting odd lately."
"Oh? How so?" Glix peered at her brother, a questioning look on her face.
"Haven't you noticed? Usually, a day hasn't gone by without him giving us dirty looks and insults."
"And that right there wasn't considered a dirty look?"
"Well, when we don't encourage him. That's not the only thing, though - you've seen how quiet he was when dad was around, right?"
"Because he probably thinks dad will either shoot him or haul him off to jail." Glix pointed out.
"Sure, that's probably it. And yet he's been giving dad a world of trouble lately - slacking off on jobs he instructs him to do, snapping at him -"
"Oh, right. He called dad an old man or something like that the other day, right? Guy could work on his insults. Still put dad in a tizzy, though." The female goblin couldn't help but chuckle.
"True. In a nutshell, Bus Boy has been doing everything dad instructs him not to do. He's being sure to take the time and effort to do so and it's making dad want to pull his hair out." Rizz drummed his fingers on the table top, looking thoughtful. "Wonder what's making him act like that? I mean, he is risking going to the slammer just because he's making pop's life hell."
Glix shrugged, then looked up as Karzix entered the dining room again, wielding a bowl of steaming water. He shot Glix a triumphant look as he soaked a rag in the water, pressing it against the ice to melt it away. She simply rolled her eyes, though she studied him once his back was turned. Perhaps this required further investigation.

--

"Hey, Bus Boy."
Karzix paused and slowly turned around. Fel, it was her. He crossed his arms, staring hard at the other goblin.
"...Yes?" He finally said, coughing and clearing his throat. It had felt like he hadn't spoken in days. He probably hadn't, what with his silent oath to not say a word to any of these goblins. She studied him for a minute or so and he raised his eyebrows. "You want something? Spit it out."
"I hear you're giving my dad a world of trouble."
"The big man can't come talk to me face-to-face, so he sends his little girl instead? Aw, that's real sweet."
"What's up with you, Bus Boy?" Glix asked, narrowing her eyes. "I don't get you. One day, Jaxil so much as looks at you and you start cowering some kind of kicked dog."
"Hey, hey, I never did anything of the sort!"
"Is that what you tell yourself? As I was saying - one day you act like that, and the next you're ready to bite his head off. Dad doesn't know what to do with you and seems to be really regretting making you work here. He's probably considering dragging you out to the nearest bruiser and dumping you with him. Not that I blame him, really... you're starting to become more trouble than you're worth." She said nonchalantly, watching his expression. He was silent, studying her hard as he tried to figure out whether or not she was lying.
"Well, what do you expect me to do?" He growled. "Just sit back and plaster a smile on my face as I'm worked to the bone for nothing? Is that what you want me to do?"
"No. Your fake smile will only creep customers out." Glix tapped her chin, looking thoughtful. "You know, Jaxil might think shipping you off sounds like a great idea. I agree. Because so many of us agree, he becomes more inclined to do just that." She paused, watching his expression and blinking. Some odd combination of fury and terror flickered across his face as he struggled to keep his expression neutral.
"Listen - the last thing I need right now is to get hauled off in chains..." Karzix ground out, glaring down at her. "So you quit with the threats and just tell me what I need to do."
"Either you're going to have to go through a complete personality change... Or you can somehow convince me to tell my dad not to let you go."
"...And how am I supposed to do that?" He asked, eyeing her suspiciously.
"Easy. I need training."
"How am I supposed to help you with that? You're not talking about mage training, are you? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I'm anything but a wizard."
"Easy! Target practice."
"Whoa, whoa, hey, I'm not gonna -" Karzix held his hands up, palms facing toward her.
"Calm down, calm down. You won't be the target, unfortunately. Look, my brother is too engrossed in trying to suck up to my parents to help me and I'm sick of paying for training that isn't giving me what I want. I know the spells, just not how to... use them properly."
"Leading to your common cases of frostbite and burns." He said with a smirk.
"...Yes. I figure it wouldn't be too hard for you to pick out I'm doing wrong. My father might reconsider tossing you out if you're also giving me free training. You understand what I'm getting at?"
"Fine."
"Good. Hopefully your eyesight is somewhat acceptable. Might want to work on your dodging, too - just in case." Glix gave him a satisfied grin, spinning on her heel and walking out. Karzix stared after, shaking his head and wondering what he had just got himself into.

--

"Fel! Watch it!" Karzix squawked and threw himself out of the way as a frosty bolt came crashing into the wall close to where he had just stood. Glix winced, staring unhappily at the ice splattered across the wall.
"Training practice, she says. More like trying to kill poor old Karzix." The goblin muttered to himself, getting up and brushing the dirt off of his clothes. During the past few days he had began to seriously wonder if this was really just a ploy to off him. "I don't get it," he continued. "How the fel does anyone have such terrible aim?"
"I don't know! That's why you're supposed to watch and see what I do wrong!" Glix snapped back.
"It's a bit difficult to see what you're doing when I'm busy trying to escape serious injury!" He shouted in return, a frustrated scowl on his face. "I'll tell you what you're doing wrong - everything! Unless you're honestly trying to freeze me. But then you still have awful aim!"
The glared at each other for a few minutes before Glix stomped over to a garbage can. She lifted the lid off, stomped back, and shoved it into Karzix's hands. "Take this and stand over there."
"Why?"
"Just do it, Bus Boy!"
Karzix grabbed the lid, glowering at her. He walked over and stood where she had specified and returned to glaring. "Well?"
"Don't move and hold that thing up." Glix took a few steps back, narrowing her eyes. She held her hands up, trying to focus on the sour-faced goblin standing before her. Karzix's eyes widened at the stance, his ears pinning back as she began to murmur the words to the spell.
"Whoa! Hey, wait! Wait wait wait wait wait! Wait, stop, no!" He yowled, stumbling back and bumping into a wall.
"Stop moving!" Glix yelled before going back to her spell, her brow furrowed as she tried to remember how to do it. She spoke the last few words, watching hopefully as a bolt of ice raced out from her palms. She winced as she heard it collide with something, an explosion of icy particles drifting up in a small cloud. She took a step forward, her ears pricking up as she studied her handiwork. Karzix wordlessly lowered his ice-covered "shield", staring down at it with wide eyes. He looked up at Glix, the other goblin looking positively overjoyed.
"I did it!" She shrieked, triumphantly throwing a fist in the air. Karzix gawked at her for a moment before speaking.
"You're insane!What was that you had said about me not being the target? You could've killed me!"
"But I didn't!" Glix crowed. "And all I needed to do was aim at something that was ticking me off! How did I not think of that before? A few more tries like this and I'll have it down in no time!"
"Oh, no you don't. I am not standing in for a target dummy." Karzix snarled, tossing the icy trash can lid to the ground. Glix turned around and glared at him before brightening.
"Good idea! You keep acting ignorant and annoying and I'll keep trying to shoot you. Grab your "shield" and go back to where you were standing."
"No, that's not what I - " Karzix yelped and jumped back as Glix fired a small bolt of ice near his feet as he tried to make a move for the building.
"C'mon, Bus Boy! I'm on a roll here! Just a few more tries and that's it." Glix stepped in between him and the door, holding her hands up. He squinted suspiciously at her hopeful expression, his shoulders sagging ever so slightly. She caught the small movement and grinned, spinning him around and giving him a hard shove back toward the ice-covered wall. "Good! Just stand there and I'll try my best not to hit you where it'll hurt."

-----------

Link to next part.
Last edited by Kamalia on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Marvellous!
Serendipity82
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

Haha! Nice!
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I liked that Kam. It was neat to see some of the development between Glix and Karzix. :)

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

A little late to the party, but another excellent post, loved the early interactions between Karzix and Glix. XD So strange seeing them so antagonistic towards each other.

Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

It does feel rather odd writing the two like this. I'll be making a post in the RP with the two being bestest buddies... and while waiting for new posts I switch to this and write them as hating each others guts. :lol:

Thanks, guys!

Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

"Just one more."
"Good gold, Glix. We've been at this for hours. No."
"One more." The goblin mage had her feet planted firmly on the ground, expect for when she kicked the rock back to her training companion. Karzix batted it away for the fourth time, aiming it towards the nearby dumpster. It made a loud ringing noise at the collision before ricocheting a few feet back toward the male goblin.
"Look, even the rock wants you to throw it again."
"Right, right. It wants me to toss it in the air and get frozen by an overexcited mage, fall back to earth and get some more chips out of it. I'm sure the rock loves that."
"I'm certain."
Karzix heaved a sigh, bending down and scooping the stone up. He threw it up into the air with as little effort as he could muster, stepping back to avoid Glix's frosty spells. Glix let out a quiet, victorious "hah!" upon hitting the stone, watching it thump back into the thin soil.
"You done?" Karzix asked, already heading for the back door to the restaurant.
"Yeah, yeah, I'm done. Quit your whining." Glix rolled her eyes, though an amused smile was on her face. Karzix simply grunted in response, pulling the door open and stepping in.
Jaxil looked up and frowned slightly as the two entered, studying them for a brief moment. "Glix?"
"Yeah, dad?" The female goblin looked up, her smile disappearing.
"Sugar, you mind giving the fellas in the kitchen a hand? Things are crazy with that big footbomb game coming up. Big parties and stuff, you know. We were already pulling our hair out trying to get all these orders in, and now some fancypants way up there has decided to throw a party - on the exact same day!" Jaxil let out an annoyed noise, shaking his head. Glix nodded and fled to the back before her father could complain any further.

Jaxil straightened, twisting his torso and cracking his back. He glanced over to Karzix, the other goblin standing awkwardly by the door.
"...Do you want me to do something, sir?" He asked after a moment, his voice holding the hint of a sneer.
"I want to talk to you for a moment, Mr. Coppertock." Jaxil gestured to a nearby chair. Karzix raised his eyebrows and did as the older goblin asked. He kicked his feet up on the table and crossed his arms, ignoring the glare his boss gave him.
"So, Mr. Coppertock..." Jaxil finally began, drumming his fingers on the table. "This past month? Seems like you and my daughter have been spending a lot of time together." He said nonchalantly. Karzix studied him for a moment.
"...Yeah, I suppose. She awful eager to train."
"She's making progress?"
"Yeah, she's a lot better. I haven't been hit by a single spell in a week or so." Karzix let out a chuckle but quieted when Jaxil looked up, staring at him hard.
"Something wrong, sir?" Karzix asked, eyes narrowing slightly as he placed his feet back down on the ground.
"I've also noticed you two seem to be getting along a bit better."
"I... suppose. It gets sort of tiring yelling at each other all the time, after all. Seems like we've learned how to work together through all that training Glix insists on doing."
Jaxil looked unimpressed. "Why exactly are you so eager to spend so much time with my daughter?"
"I don't really have a choice, sir. She's rather pushy when it comes to her practices." He replied, warily watching Jaxil's dark expression.
"Are you sure that's all, Mr. Coppertock?" Jaxil asked, a heavy tone of disdain added to the word "mister".
"I... uh, I don't think I quite follow you, sir..."
"Stay the fel away from my daughter, Coppertock. I know what you slum boys are like." Jaxil growled, then turned and left for the kitchen, leaving a bewildered Karzix staring after him.

--

"You've got no home pride."
"Any pride I had in that team died out long ago."
"You call yourself a Bilgewater goblin?"
Glix peered around the corner, blinking at the sight of her brother and Karzix squabbling over something. "Hey fellas. What's up?" She furrowed her brow as Karzix visibly stiffened upon seeing her. She was about to ask him what was wrong, but was interrupted by her brother.
"This idiot is rooting for the Buccaneers. Can you believe that?" Rizz snorted, earning a scowl from the other male goblin.
"Buccaneers? You mean the footbomb team?" Glix asked, raising her eyebrows.
"The footbomb team that hasn't won in a decade."
"Hey, we've been close every time!" Karzix protested.
"A loss is a loss."
"So who are you rooting for? The Steamwheedle Sharks?"
"Well, they're going to win anyway." Rizz said with a shrug.
"Okay, Rizz, I have to agree that that's just cheap. You don't just go with the team that has the highest chance of winning!" Glix added in, grinning as Karzix gave her an enthusiastic gesture in agreement.
"Exactly! What the Buccaneers lack for in gear they make up for in skill."
"Ah, don't start ganging up on me. Also - bad gear in a footbomb game. What's that equal?"
"I'll bet you ten gold that the Buccaneers will win." Karzix proclaimed, thumping his fist on the countertop.
Rizz grinned. "You're on. See you later, sucker - I gotta go back to work." He waved a quick goodbye and slipped through the doorway.

Karzix shook his head, then turned as Glix spoke up.
"Hey, what was that all about?"
"I need to stand up with the team I grew up rooting for, don't I?"
"No, no. I mean when I walked in. You were acting really strange for a moment there." Glix hopped up on the countertop, peering at him curiously as he averted his eyes.
"...It's nothing. Your dad was just grilling me for some reason."
Glix furrowed her brow and crossed her arms as she leaned back against the wall. "What? Why? What did he say?"
"Nothing." He replied quickly. "Just asking me a few questions about my... work habits." He ignored the strange look Glix gave him, relaxing slightly when she shrugged and leaned back against the wall.
"So, you grew up rooting for the Bucaneers?"
"Hey, what Bilgewater worth his salt doesn't?" Karzix chuckled before abruptly frowning. He looked around, a hint of a nervous look in his eye. "Look, I should get back to work before the boss starts yelling at me. Talk to you later or something." He quickly turned and left, leaving a surprised Glix behind.

--

Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

"Stop hogging that." Glix scolded, leaning over and swiping a spyglass from Rizz. Karzix was silent, seated a small distance away. He looked over his shoulder as the roof hatch's door swung open, Jaxil stepping up to peer out.
"Need anything?" He asked, staring directly at his children and pointedly ignoring Karzix.
"We're good, dad. You sure you don't want to join us up here?" Glix asked, waving the spyglass in a tempting manner. Jaxil simply shook his head his head in response. He paused to study Karzix for a brief moment. Karzix glared back at him, watching as the older goblin considered sending his slum trash self back downstairs. Karzix grudgingly moved a few feet further from Rizz and Glix, then looked pointedly back at Jaxil. Jaxil looked unconvinced, but switched his gaze back to the other two goblins.
"You two give me a holler if you need anything, okay?" Jaxil gave Karzix another look.
"Got it." Glix and Rizz replied simultaneously and Jaxil finally disappeared back into the building. Karzix turned back around, then stretched out on his back. He was silent, absently listening to the other two chatter excitedly. He blinked and sat back up at the sound of a loud blaring coming from Kajaro Field, followed by the roar of a crowd and Glix and Rizz letting out shouts.

"Ten gold!" Rizz taunted for what felt to Karzix as being the fiftieth time. Karzix gave him an emotionless look before returning his gaze back to the distant field. He felt something bump into his side and he looked down to see the spyglass.
"C'mon, Mr. Anti-Social. Don't want to be seen with us or something?" Glix laughed, gesturing for him to come over. Karzix merely looked at her, then picked the spyglass up and rolled it back to her. She gave him an odd look before turning her attention back to the game. He stared out at the field for a few more moments, then cast his gaze back to the two siblings laughing and chattering away. Karzix stood up and went for the hatch, lifting it up and taking a few steps down. He kept going, ignoring Glix as she called out after him.

"Hey, wait! Where are you going?" Glix shouted down, following after him. Karzix finally paused, rubbing his face as he turned around. "I can get Rizz to shut up, if you want." She offered, stopping two steps above him. "He is getting kind of ann -"
"Why the fel did you bring me up there?" Karzix finally snapped. Glix gave him a bewildered look.
"You like footbomb, don't you? I thought you might like to join us." She explained, crossing her arms. Her ears tilted back as Rizz shouted out, but she otherwise ignored him.
"Don't you get it? I'm already in hot water for being around you. And Rizz," he added quickly. "You blind or something? Have you even noticed the way Jaxil has been glaring at me? I've avoided getting hauled away for this long and I'm not about to ruin my chances just 'cause some ditz of a mage girl is determined to pretend to be friendly with me."
"That's it? That's what your problem is?" Glix snapped back, bristling. "If being seen around us bothers you so much, why'd you agree to come up with us?"
"The fel are you two doing down there! Get up here! You gotta see this!" Rizz shrieked from the roof. "The Buccaneers have only one man up, and he's blowing the whole other freakin' team up! Karzix, I swear if I end up having to give you any gold..."
"Well, I - hey, I never agreed -" Karzix spluttered, ignoring Rizz as best he could.
"If you never agreed, why did you bother coming, then?" Glix repeated, trying her best to glare holes into the other goblin's skull.
"Dammit, he's going for the final goal." Came Rizz's muffled moan. "Say, Karzix? That bet didn't go two ways, right? Right. It was only that you owed gold if the Sharks lost, wasn't it? Yeah, I'm pretty sure." There was a moment's pause. "Hey, you guys hear that? Sounds like wing beats or something. Way too loud though... that coming from the field...?"
Karzix grit his teeth, curling his hands into fists. "Look, that doesn't matter. All I care about right now is surviving through this so I can get the fel out of here. I won't have to deal with Jaxil, working without being paid a copper, or being penned in here like some kind of prisoner. Best of all? I won't have to suffer through your constant need to throw ice at everything and - " His rant was abruptly broken off and he let out a gasp as the ground suddenly lurched beneath his feet. He reached out and grabbed onto the railing, gripping on tight as he tried to regain his balance. He let out a grunt as Glix collided into him, having lost her balance. She scrambled past him, latching onto the railing as well. The shaking lasted for only a few moments before it stopped. The two goblins hesitantly stood up. They looked at each other, any hint of anger gone and replaced with nervousness and surprise.

"Rizz?" Glix called out shakily. "Rizz, are you okay?"
"I'm good, I'm good." Rizz peered down at them, his glasses askew and his eyes wide.
"What just happened?" Karzix asked, a bit shakily. Rizz looked from him to his sister and back.
"...Would you believe me if I said it was a dragon?"

~

"A ticket on the boat... is HOW much?!" Jaxil roared at the exhausted-looking bruiser standing at his doorway.
"That's the price, sir." The bruiser affirmed.
"Damn that Gallywix!" Jaxil hissed. "That man - he - " The goblin's enraged spluttering came to a halt as the bruiser narrowed his eyes.
"What was that about the Trade Prince, sir?"
"Nothing." Jaxil snapped, slamming the door in the other goblin's face. He turned to face his family and swallowed. The three looked at him anxiously.
"What did he say, dad?" Glix asked anxiously. Jaxil was quiet for a moment. The family let out startled gasps as the earth shook once again, the movement bringing up cries of terror from outside. Jaxil made his way to the window, peering outside. His ears folded back at the sight of the orange glow from Mount Kajaro's peak slowly starting to ooze down the volcano's sides.
"Everyone, go home and pack up. Quickly, quickly! We don't have much time." He ushered as he turned back around, waving frantically at his wife and children in an attempt to get them going. They did as he said, though Glix paused at the doorway.
"Aren't you coming?"
"I just have to do some things first, okay, sugar? I'll be right there." Jaxil promised. Glix nodded and left. Jaxil breathed out in an attempt to calm his nerves, then turned back around. He ignored his other workers as they scattered and ran. He was looking for only one goblin.

"There you are, boy."
Karzix didn't answer. Jaxil had found him sitting up on the roof, staring at Mount Kajaro with drooped ears.
"Get up. I need to speak with you." Jaxil's hands flew out to keep his balance as the earth rumbled again. The volcano spewed out a plume of lava with the quake. "Look," He continued. "I need you to do something for me."
"Why?" Karzix asked angrily, though his back was still turned.
"It's about Glix, boy."
Karzix's ears swiveled backward, but otherwise he didn't move. "What about her?" He growled.
"Boy, I'm an older goblin. I don't know how much of a chance I'll have of surviving this. I need someone to look after her should something happen."
Karzix turned around, a confused and suspicious look on his face. "Why me? Her brother is there, isn't he? I thought I was, you know, a slum boy? You know what those are like." He replied with a sneer, echoing the other goblin's past words.
"Rizz?" Jaxil let out a short laugh. "He may be good with numbers, but that boy couldn't live a day outside of his work." He sobered, fixing Karzix with a steady gaze. "Get moving, boy."
Karzix slowly stood, watching Jaxil hesitantly. The goblin's sudden change of heart had him suspicious.
"Go on, go on! Meet up with her and Rizz at the docks. Alli and I will be coming there soon after." Jaxil watched as Karzix finally left, though not without giving Jaxil several confused looks. The older goblin breathed a sigh of relief once he was gone, then smirked.
"By the Trade Prince, no wonder that boy was caught so easily. Dumb as a brick, that one." He chuckled to himself, wishing that he could be there when he saw the boy's face. Shame it would be a better idea to stay out of the way - didn't want the slum rat causing trouble if he saw him. He followed Karzix down, calling after him.

--

Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

Glix cast her glance over to the two others standing by her side. Rizz fidgeted nervously, gripping onto the sack of coins Jaxil had stuffed into his hands before leaving. Karzix was quiet, studying the boat floating down at the edge of the dock. He looked around in discomfort, unused to being packed around so many goblins. Their heads shot up as a voice bellowed out "Next!" and the line moved forward ever so slightly. Rizz cast Karzix a sideways glance, then looked at his sister. She gave him an equally confused look. Why he was standing here with them was beyond them - Karzix had, obviously not believing it himself, told them that Jaxil had offered to give him enough pay to get on the boat for all his hard work.
"A fine worker," Karzix had repeated. "That I was the best he's ever had. That's... what he told me." He had offered the two siblings a shrug, looking like he wasn't about to risk getting his hopes up. Something was wrong, he could tell. But what was going to happen, he didn't know.

The three stood in tense silence as the line crawled along. Upon reaching the end of the dock they looked up to see a short, scrawny goblin decked in gaudy colours and jewelry. Four hobgoblins stood behind him, gripping onto clubs of some sort. Karzix watched them warily. Already he had witnessed them dragging or throwing several unlucky goblins off of the ship for failing to produce enough gold to get on. Mocking the Trade Prince, was the uppity goblin's excuse.

"Next!" He drawled, the cigar held loosely in his lips bobbing up and down as he spoke. The trio quietly stepped up.
"Well?" He asked, looking from goblin to goblin. "Hand it over." He reached out a hand, staring at the satchel Rizz held in his hands. Rizz handed it over, then stepped back to stand beside his sister. Glix glanced at him, then at Karzix. Karzix was watching the guard, struggling to keep the frantic expression off of his face. His eyes widened as the goblin frowned down at the bag, then called over a bruiser. They two talked quietly for a moment, studying the contents of the bag. The bruiser reached in the bag and pulled out a wad of cloth that had been stuffed in with the coins.
"Shit." Karzix hissed under his breath as the bruiser and the guard looked back up at the trio, their eyes narrowed.

"Alright, so who here thought they could pull this funny business off? Stuffin' a rag in here, then surrounding it with coins? Real clever. Real, real clever. You take me for an idiot, do you?" He growled, squinting at each goblin. He rubbed his chin, suddenly looking somewhat curious. "Though, the funny thing is, there's enough pay for two. You sure you guys are all together?"
"...Yes, sir." Glix said, swallowing.
"Shame. Looks like you're going to have to say goodbye to someone." The goblin shook his head, looking thoroughly annoyed. Rizz grabbed hold of Glix and stepped to the side, away from Karzix. Glix looked at him, alarmed, then back at Karzix. Karzix stared at them with a mixture of rage and terror.
"Look, pal..." The guard sighed. "You pulled this on us, so we get to pick. Capiche?"
"But he's my -"
"Not hearing it!" The goblin put his hand up to silence Glix. He stared hard at the trio, squinting. His gaze fell on Karzix and he frowned. "... Working class, kid?"
Karzix glared at him for a long moment. "... Yes," he finally ground out. He clenched his hands, preparing to feel himself getting grabbed by the hobgoblins. Much to his shock, the goblin nodded with a murmured "good, good" and went on. He scowled at Glix, then glanced over at the bruiser from before.
"How about her?"
"Her? Eh, I dunno..." The bruiser eyed her up and down as he leaned up against the ship's side. He flashed her a grin. "Hey, sweets, mind putting your hair down, at least? Might help us decide, huh?" He let out a chuckle as Glix glared at him, refusing to move her arms an inch toward the bun her hair was tucked up in.
"Hey! That's my sister you're -" Rizz stepped forward, a bold move for his tight, frightened voice. The bruiser took one look at the small, skinny goblin and nodded before Rizz could even finish his sentence.
"Him."

At once, the four hobgoblins lurched forward and grabbed hold of Rizz's arms. One let out an unhappy groan as a spike of ice drove itself into his arm.
"Let him go!" Glix shrieked, leaping forward to sink her claw-like fingernails into the hobgoblin's arm. She felt hands grab her from behind and drag her away, to which she responded by blasting a bolt of ice backwards. She heard a yelp and the grip on her was released.
"Rizz!" She yelled, her ears pinning back as the hobgoblins dragged him to the boat's edge. "Rizz!" She grit her teeth and fired several more bolts at the hobgoblins in desperation. The spells came to an abrupt halt as the now icy-faced bruiser stepped forward and gave her a hard backhand. She stumbled backwards, her head reeling from the blow. She bumped into something and she felt strong arms wrap around her and hold her back.
"Cool it, Glix." Karzix hissed into her ear. He looked at the infuriated bruiser, struggling to keep the frenzied mage from bolting forward. The bruiser bared his teeth at Karzix in a silent snarl, then turned around as Rizz let out a cry. Glix's brother cast them once last terrified look before he was heaved over the side.

"Rizz...!" Glix sobbed, giving one more struggle against Karzix's grip. "Good gold, let me go! He can't swim! I gotta... he's needs help. Let me go!"
"Shut her up!" The bruiser snarled. One of the hobgoblins, the one Glix had attacked, obediently lumbered forward. It seized the collar of Glix's shirt and dragged her away while the bruiser shoved Karzix back to keep him from intervening. Karzix cringed as a quick swipe of the hobgoblin's club silenced Glix's frantic yelling and struggling.
"Take the girl and get down to the hull," the bruiser hissed, grabbing the unconscious mage and heaving her at Karzix. Karzix fumbled to catch her, looping his arms under hers and hoisting her up partway. "You're lucky we're letting you stay after that. I'm more than tempted to dump her overboard with her dear brother. You make sure to make the most of your time left with her, bud," he said with a wink, then leaned forward to whisper in Karzix's ear. "'Cause you won't be seeing her as much after the slave market. Unless, of course, you've got a pretty penny to spend." He stood back, watching the look of horror on Karzix's face as the hobgoblins shepherded him and Glix to the hull.

---

Link to next part.
Last edited by Kamalia on Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Kamalia wrote: "Exactly! What the Buccaneers lack for in gear they make up for in skill."
Best. Line. Ever! :lol: Not sure if it's an intended pun or not, but it gave me a good chuckle. XD

[/center]
Kamalia

Unread post by Kamalia »

No, it was not intended! I'm clearly tired, because I'm tilting my head trying to figure out what the pun is. :lol: It'll probably ruin it if you explain it for me. Explaining jokes always ruins them. xD

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Gear vs. skill is a long-standing argument in the world of WoW. Some people are in the mindset that they'll only take geared people into raids and such even if that person is total shit, others will take a lesser geared player that has more knowledge/skill. :) Your quote is in favor of the latter. :D

[/center]
Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Vashj, Whisperwind

Unread post by Litlemouse »

Oh my god... that is a very different perspective of Glix and Karzix O.o
Enjoying the originality of this, can't wait for more :D

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

But, in a game were you blow each other up, skill doesn't really matter, now does it? :D

Great read as always. :D