Some tips for Undead Warlock Role-playing.

Snowiee
Realm: Jubei'Thos US

Some tips for Undead Warlock Role-playing.

Unread post by Snowiee »

I have decided I am going to start RPing in WoW, at this point I am set on playing a Forsaken Warlock and I am just looking for a few tips.

My Demon, from what I have read I shouldn't have my Demon out in major cities however it says on the character creation screen Warlocks are feared in some alliance societies while considered great leaders in some horde societies I know the character creation screen isn't the best source of WoW lore but does this mean I can have my demon out in Horde cities? if not where can i have my Demon out?

From what I understand warlocks try to hide their dark skills, pretty much the same as last question do I have to hide it from most Horde? Also what if i'm RPing and someone calls me out for being a warlock? Do they tie me to a pole and burn me? I don't want to die!

I also need a little help with my back story, I don't really know how one becomes forsaken. Can I be a corrupt mage who died and became a forsaken warlock?(ofc I would go into more depth than that)

That's really all I have for now, thanks to all who read and respond.
My 1st attempt at photoshop ^^
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Some tips for Undead Warlock Role-playing.

Unread post by Lupis »

Demons out in cities: Really, this depends on the city and how your warlock wants to be seen. A timid warlock that doesn't want attention drawn to himself wouldn't use demons anywhere unless alone. The average warlock would probably use demons in specific cities or areas - Undercity is basically a free-for-all and demons are fine, Silvermoon only accepts demons in certain, darker-toned places (AKA Warlock trainers) and Orgrimmar… is much like Silvermoon. Orcs do NOT take kindly to most warlocks.
But if your warlock wants to be noticed and feared, then he or she might lead demons around all the time.

Hiding their skills: Also depends on your warlock, as well as the race of the person you're talking to. Tauren hate dark magic as it's unnatural, so unless the warlock wants to be hated, they won't mention their skills to a tauren. Many orcs dislike it as well. Warlocks have a reputation for being backstabbers, and many people will never trust a warlock.

Backstory: Forsaken can be a great number of things. Many are simply people who died in Lordearon and were brought back. Recently there are "new age" Forsaken risen by Sylvanas's servants. These new ones tend to be pretty much random people who were killed, often through war with the forsaken, or simply by being in the way.

So many social issues! xD
Have fun, Warlocks can be really fun to roleplay. :-)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Personally I kind of feel that with a Forsaken warlock, your possibilities for RP situations are endless! :D

The Forsaken are pretty in your face, do what they please to win as it is so really you could take the opportunity to play that up or tone it down. It also kind of depends on how comfortable you are with RPing the character and what your goal is with the character.

Not that this is the way you need to RP your particular Forsaken warlock, but in my mind, a Forsaken warlock is a being that evokes fear. Not only are they the undead, but they command the dark arts and summon demons to their aid. They care not for who stands in their way and other people probably tend to provide a means to an end. The Forsaken warlock that's in the cinematic for Vanilla WoW (and possibly the BC one; can't remember) is, for me, like the epitome of a warlock even though he only has like a two second scene. I just remember being awestruck by him and he sort of defined how I view warlocks. XD

One thing to keep in mind with demons is that, unless you're going for a rare sort of character, your demons are your servants. Unlike hunter pets whom are typically friendly with their masters and such, most warlocks aren't likely to care as much about their demons. I know there's a few exceptions to the rule, but I can't imagine a Forsaken caring much about their demon other than it being a means to an end and servant.

Lupis pretty much touched on all the other stuff so I don't really want to repeat any of that. :)
I would also advise taking a read through Wowpedia to get an idea of some of the Forsaken and warlock lore as another means of helping you build your character.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Snowiee
Realm: Jubei'Thos US

Unread post by Snowiee »

Hmm, I like the idea of being evil and I know the scene you're talking about I had to go back and watch it, it's so awesome :D. How would I be evil exactly? I don't see me going around randomly killing people, burning stuff down, or eating small children.
My 1st attempt at photoshop ^^
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I feel kind of bad saying this, but, that's a good question. >_<
I've actually been really timid about RPing in game so most of my RP experience has been through forum RP. I would say there are methods of managing to make yourself evil without having to go around and killing random people or burning villages and the like down because those kind of actions do have consequences.

You could do something sort of Sylvanas-esque or Putress-esque I suppose; they're both pretty good evil role models. I would also say just making your character look like they're up to no good, perhaps have a fondness for torture/abuse.

I fantasize about having really good evil characters but I have a lot of trouble actually executing one. :( Wish I could be of more help.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

To be evil… First off, it's really helpful to find an evil-based RP guild. You can coordinate events with them and then have allies to help you. Second, get to know some RP guild leaders or just RP people. Then you can plan out attacks on them with them. Not *all* attacks have to be planned, of course, but they're more likely to be fun if they are. (Though a few surprise attacks can be very exciting.)
The best evil characters I've seen have planned out things well, and most importantly, have motivations and reasons to attack the people they're fighting.

However, as Tyger said, those kinds of things have huge consequences. If your character starts to be widely known, he/she'll have to go around in disguise or risk being mobbed. Other characters will try to kill yours without provocation. I know a guild on my server is widely known as KOS (Kill on sight) for numerous ruthless and effective attacks on tribes and clans. The more evil you are, the higher chance you have of your character being seriously hurt. (However, you can never be forced into having your character die.)

A slightly less extreme evil character might be more subtle. A poison-brewer might give a kid a slow-acting poison in the form of candy, then escape the scene before they can be noticed. Or, they might just be known for testing volatile poisons on living, innocent test subjects. (AKA capturing a bunch of humans and tossing them in cages to be tested on.) A warlock might be known as evil for, if not outright attacking people, showing absolutely no care for their well-being and only looking out for him/herself. Backstabbing 'friends' and taking from the needy, etc.

…I've never RP'd evil characters in game though, just in forum RP. >.<

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Lupis managed to explain the various forms of being evil far better than I could. XD Best of luck to you Snowiee! :D

[/center]