Blood Elf Warrior

Galahandra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Mazrigos

Blood Elf Warrior

Unread post by Galahandra »

As some of you may know, I've started writing a blog about my quest in trying to get the Loremaster title for my Blood Elf warrior (link in Siggy)!

One of the upcoming posts I'd like to do, possibly next week, would be about a backstory for him. So, here are a few bullet points detailing my thoughts, any kind of positive or (constructive) negative comments are much appreciated!

General Info
- Name: Harrington
- From Silvermoon City
- Age - Not too sure when it comes to Blood Elves, but I'd like him to of just entered adulthood
- More of a 'good' character, quests that involve greed, senseless murder etc unsettle him
- Loves camping out in the wilderness and fending for himself and his wyvern
- Uneasy around the undead and those with great magical prowess

Backstory:
- As a member of the lower part of blood elf society, Harrington has always had it in his mind that he needs to prove himself as a credit to his race. Not very apt in the arcane, he's taken to Inscription and Archaeology in the hopes he can find rare magical artefacts as well as creating scrolls that enhance his abilities as well as that of others.
- Travels with his Wyvern (name to come) and an Elementium Geode which he bought for cheap off of the Auction House in the Undercity. He'd like to at some point learn of it's origins.

That's all I can think of for now, may add more later!

Thanks folks,

Gala
x
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Re: Blood Elf Warrior

Unread post by Niabi »

When I've written about my own characters from a role play perspective, I've found Dramatis Personae's website (http://lore.dramatis-personae.com/index.php) to be a huge help! The site hasn't been updated since The Burning Crusade but it continues to serve as a basic guide for myself in my own form of character development. The most constructive tool I find, is the Character Diamond (http://lore.dramatis-personae.com/creation/diamond.php) which basically helps define what makes your character "them". This would be something I'd suggest you add for your own warrior.

I do alter the Character Diamond slightly however. I use five defining traits (pentagon rather than a diamond) to make up each of my characters. It's just something I find that helps "flesh out" my characters a little easier and gives them slightly more emphasis on who they are based on the specifics of their race, class, intelligence or physicality, good and bad. You may find it easier too based on the simple formula I composed:

1. Name a quality based on your character's race. Basically saying, if your character is an Orc, then what is it that makes them an Orc and not something else based on lore and social makeup.
2. Name a quality based on your character's class. What makes a warrior a warrior, a druid a druid, a rogue a rogue, etc.?
3. Name a physical or intellectual feature for your character. It would have to be something somewhat permanent/unchanging. Afterall, your character can always lose/gain weight over time; become wiser or grow more aloof based on their experiences and tendencies, etc.
4. Name an admirable quality. Something that makes your character likable.
5. Name an adverse quality. Something that makes your character strive to become a better person or works against them in their efforts. This also helps you avoid having any "Mary Sue" issues with other RPers.

For further demonstration, I'll use my own Dwarf’s character diamond (er, pentagon) to show you what I mean ...

1. Racial: Jocular; having a disposition of being cheerful and lighthearted.
2. Class (hunter): Inquisitive; naturally given to inquiry or curiosity.
3. Physical/Intelligence: Hardy; being physically strong and/or capable.
4. Admirable Trait: Winsome; charming and/or engaging.
5. Adverse Trait: Headstrong; determined to have one's own way; willful; stubborn.

You mentioned before that you consider your warrior a "good guy"; someone that constantly feels the need to prove himself. This would be a fine example for an admirable quality or an adverse quality depending on how you want to take it. Does his constant striving make him impressionable or does it make him feel detached from his brethren because he currently feels that he's not worthy of recognition? You also mentioned that he has certain dislikes - namely the Undead and users of magic -- but how does he handle this? Does it make him bitter or suspicious in any way or does he simply prefer to be segregated from these sort of folk so long as their pursuits don't directly affect him? He also loves camping eh? That's definitely something that could make him resourceful or adaptable as a warrior. With a little more emphasis, youll manage to create a character that stands out and who people will want to read more about.

I hope that the information and resources I've provided can help you make Harrington a little more 3 dimensional. This is all left up to suggestion really. I'm simply passing along some tips that have helped me out a great deal in the past.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Galahandra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Mazrigos

Re: Blood Elf Warrior

Unread post by Galahandra »

Thanks for that! Will give it a go when the BFs at work tomorrow :)