Bring Back the Roleplay.

Senna-Umbreon
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Eonar, Nesingwary, Windrunner and the Venture Co.

Re: Bring Back the Roleplay.

Unread post by Senna-Umbreon »

Mm.. I dunno. I've never been good at RP'ing a human in a Pokemon RP. XD So I can't say too much for these ideas. Though really, for the Pokemon RPs we used to do here, we really just focused on the Pokemon. Humans weren't that much of a focus, usually.

Not to say that they're BAD ideas.. I've just never really done much with a story that the characters are mostly humans. Closest I've gotten is RP'ing Pokemon as gijinkas. XD
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

Eh... I'm not fond of doing a lot of Pokemon RPs without the presence of humans. The only one I've ever done without them is Pokehounds, which is usually placed in a wolf-pack like setting. I generally disliked playing any sort of human in an RP a while ago, but after a while, I've gotten used to it. Although I still need an animal (Or in this case, Pokemon) present. =P

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Senna-Umbreon

Well, it's not like there WEREN'T any humans in our previous RPs... They were just minor characters, mostly. We always focused on the Pokemon more.

(And I admit, I don't see a huge amount of appeal in a Pokemon RP that focuses more on Trainers/humans in general. I just.. Don't. The part about Pokemon RP that's fun to me is the POKEMON. Funny that, eh? XP)
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

asdfghjkl His Dark Materials series yes please <3

Seriously though, I can see where Senna comes from. Maybe we can have some people be trainers, and people can RP as their pokemon? Could be nifty.

Alternatively, I had an old, old plot I ended up using that was sort of nifty. Essentially, Arceus is kidnapped/disappears/whatever and the Legendaries are left with a huge power struggle on their hands. War is struck up against the Legends, though several immediately pull out or try to maintain peace. When these efforts fail, these Legends decide to send champions of theirs (Pokemon that have been blessed with attributes/powers of their Legend) to go forth and try and find Arceus.
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Aleu »

Azunara wrote:asdfghjkl His Dark Materials series yes please <3

Seriously though, I can see where Senna comes from. Maybe we can have some people be trainers, and people can RP as their pokemon? Could be nifty.

Alternatively, I had an old, old plot I ended up using that was sort of nifty. Essentially, Arceus is kidnapped/disappears/whatever and the Legendaries are left with a huge power struggle on their hands. War is struck up against the Legends, though several immediately pull out or try to maintain peace. When these efforts fail, these Legends decide to send champions of theirs (Pokemon that have been blessed with attributes/powers of their Legend) to go forth and try and find Arceus.
I could add to that. Perhaps, the humans have disappeared and Arceus left to try and find out what happened to them. He hasn't returned since and several of former owned Pokemon are now left out to fend for themselves. It almost seems as if the humans have anbandoned them, but is that really the case? Did something sinister take them and Arceus leaving the world to begin to crumble? It could explain why humans are absent and keep the focus on Pokemon as people want.

{Flight Rising}

Senna-Umbreon

Ehh, I dunno. Do we NEED a reason for there to not be any humans? Can't we just do what we've done in WoD and RotS? Just have the focus be on Pokemon in general and maybe have some humans pop in? The idea of some people having Pokemon and others having humans could work.. The only thing about that is it could be hard to have some characters communicate, since, well, most Pokemon can't speak to humans. Most of the time it's only Psychic types, Legendaries and a select few others who can. Which could be an issue in that case.

Regardless, I still like Azu's idea. (I liked it ever since she came up with it a while back. XP) I'd definitely be down for that plot line, honestly. (Though I suggest if we do it, it should DEFINITELY be an AU from the universe of WoD and RotS, since not only is there the fact that there might be people who don't necessarily know said RPs or that universe, but it would just make the plot easier to deal with, I think.)
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Ahhh, His dark Materials, I've read those books, and have the set. Occasionally watch the movie, though sadly it missed out on so much of the good things from the book...Might be interesting to try something like that.

I really like the 5 trainers from each region idea. though if we did do that, I would have to call dibbs on Gen3, Hoenn! Just because that's where most of my favorite pokemon are from :3

With or without humans, is fine with me.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Aleu »

Makoes wrote:Ahhh, His dark Materials, I've read those books, and have the set. Occasionally watch the movie, though sadly it missed out on so much of the good things from the book...Might be interesting to try something like that.

I really like the 5 trainers from each region idea. though if we did do that, I would have to call dibbs on Gen3, Hoenn! Just because that's where most of my favorite pokemon are from :3

With or without humans, is fine with me.
No dibs. ;3 It'd be chosen by random.

Anyways, I guess we can completely exclude humans from it if that's what everyone wants. Shall we put it up for a vote though? I'm fine with doing either or, but perhaps we should let people put in their own input?

{Flight Rising}

Senna-Umbreon

I'm down with that. Seeing what everyone else thinks is definitely a good idea~
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

I never did join in the RP going on around here, but that was mostly because I was extremely rusty at the time (and I had little to no Pokemon characters, go fig) but I'd like to try my hand a bit more at roleplaying with people I'm not all familiar with; would make for a fun experience and I'd be able to dust off Pokemon OCs that I haven't taken out of the closet in awhile.

Fast-paced things, I tend to fall horribly behind in, however, because I have school and stuff and I can't be here a good chunk of the day, so...

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

Senna-Umbreon

You're totally welcome to join in if we do get this thing up and running! New RPers are always fun to have in a new RP~

Well, if you do join and it ends up being a bit fast-paced, there's always the option of someone just giving you a summary of what's happened while you were gone. I know I had people do that for me on occasion back in RotS. XD Heck, I'd be glad to be the one to give out summaries in that case, even if I suck at explaining things.
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

In other news, I have no idea if it will reach that fast pace, though I have a hunch it won't, what with a different make up of RPers in this cluster. That said, I can try at least to make sure people don't go too fast and far ahead. I know that was a complaint at one point for people in completely different, you know, hemispheres. XD

That said, I suppose we could make a poll would be pretty good. If folks are worried about human/pokemon communication, I feel like our best bet would be to do away with the language difficulties altogether and pretend it doesn't exist, or give all humans translation devices. (Additionally, if we run with my idea, there can also be pure hearted trainers that were chosen to champion Legendaries. Just sayin'.)
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

Oh don't worry Senna, I'm an absolute failure at summaries too. xD

I'm all for the translation devices, and a little natural-born Pokemon-whisperer somewhere in there probably wouldn't hurt much as long as everyone and their pet dog didn't have it.

I should probably note that I may have problems cranking out huge replies as well. I may RP and write in my free time, but by the Gods does that mean I can weave miracles out of thin air.

Senna-Umbreon

That could definitely work. Of course, if we have Legendaries, they can also act as translators, since in my mind all Legendaries can speak to humans.

Though one thing I'm curious on.. Would everyone be okay with the idea of hybrids being in this RP? It was sort of a thing back in WoD/RotS, and in all honesty, I have this character concept I might use.. Except he's a hybrid. Just wondering if people would be okay with that. (I mean, I don't even know if I'll use this character concept. I may just punt him into my usual RPs, but I figured I might as well bring up the topic anyway just for future reference.)

(I agree with ya there Alex. There's times where I just can't bring myself to do a huge detailed reply, usually when I've just woken up or come back to the RP after going out or something along those lines.)
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I'd be cool with hybrids, but that's sort of self evident. XD And yeah, I can write whatever, depends. Typically, I try to churn out at least something that looks vaguely like a paragraph, but I understand writer's block and I won't expect people to produce novels every time they post. If you can at least post something with about three sentences, I'm satisfied.
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

I'm fine with hybrids, though I have a feeling that if someone did have a problem with it, they'd probably have a problem with my mail-carrier Flygon, seeing as he managed to actually teach himself to read and speak English with no help so that he could correctly deliver letters and packages.

I think it more weighs on how you play the character (godmodding immediately springs to mind), not the character itself.

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I figure most folks are pretty cool at avoiding Mary Sues, and I am quite willing to talk to someone and ask them to tone it down or ask them to rework their character completely if necessary. XD For example, I find your character cool, Alex. Would seem like a perfectly plausible and alright character to me. But if someone wanted to have a pokemon that was, I dunno, a poochyena that could turn into a human, and manage to kill pokemon far stronger than it, and was stronger than a Legendary, I'd be like, "lolno".

Hell, I'm fine with Legend/Pokemon hybrids, as long as you can play it well.
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

Aha, that brings up bad memories because recently the forum I frequent has this one dude who goes boner-rage over Lugias and I swear to Nyx, he has managed to pile every single Mary-Sue quality into one character and I just ugh.

We lost two good RP people over him in his last meltdown and "ragequit". Admins said they wouldn't let him back into the forum because of it.
Guess who's back in the forum? :/

Rubywashere
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Rubywashere »

Alex wrote:I'm fine with hybrids, though I have a feeling that if someone did have a problem with it, they'd probably have a problem with my mail-carrier Flygon, seeing as he managed to actually teach himself to read and speak English with no help so that he could correctly deliver letters and packages.

I think it more weighs on how you play the character (godmodding immediately springs to mind), not the character itself.
In the first pokemon rp I had a sceptile that was able to read, write and speak a small bit of human. Don't worry your fine XD
Heck in the last rp we even had some fakemon.
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Aleu »

I have Hybrids myself and so long as they aren't hybrids of Legendaries, I don't really mind them too much. In addition, the idea of purehearted trainers being chosen could play into my own 5 trainers plot, but it would require some people to play human characters. The reason why I was a little "eh" about the idea of some people playing as others Pokemon is the possible confusion. I could, however, set up a little info thread with peoples characters and such. I also don't mind them being given the ability to talk to Pokemon... Perhaps the Legendaries gave it to them?

I do want to avoid fakemon, if we can. XD I very possibly may have a Hybrid of my own I want to bring in, but that'll depend on the amount of characters I'm playing.

{Flight Rising}