Dwarf Character Help!

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Dwarf Character Help!

Unread post by Lupis »

This is Rassaa. The massive furball is Tinder.

Rassaa has a problem. She has no history, personality, or reason for being.

Her problem is my problem.

This is what I know about her:
-Tinder is her favorite pet. She has other pets, of course, but none are equal to Tinder.
-Tinder is a beat up, rather old creature.
-Her last name is Firehammer, and she came from the Firehammer clan. All I know about the Firehammer clan is that it split up in the War of Three Hammers into Dark Iron, Wildhammer and Bronzebeard sections. Each section hates the others. Rassaa, by extension, dislikes Wildhammers and Dark Irons.
-She's an engineer, and she's good at it. Gnomish, not Goblin.

That is all I know about Rassaa. x.x I've tried and tried to think up some sort of real storyline for her, and I always fail. I can't even think up a personality.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas? Brainstorm! Throw ideas at me, maybe some will spark something!

Also, I apologize for my terrible butchering of the english language. It's late.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Moonlost
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Re: Dwarf Character Help!

Unread post by Moonlost »

I would type out some ideas, but right now, my brain is half-asleep mush. I pledge to help once I can think again. XD

Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

What I normally do is start with something simple

1. Her parents: who and what were they
2. How old she is
3. When did she become a hunter or when did she first find tinder
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Hah, okay Moon. And thanks Tank, I'll think about those.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Serendipity82
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

She's a dwarf, therefore, she must love her ale XD
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Serendipity82 wrote:She's a dwarf, therefore, she must love her ale XD
It'd be a great story if she didn't like ale.
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Watch, she'll end up with a phobia of ale. xD

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Watch, she'll end up with a phobia of ale. xD
I would love that, it would be funny to watch. I know I prefer to watch people get drunk, watching what they do and then remembering it to tell them about it when they sober up is always great fun.
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Tankperson wrote:
LupisDarkmoon wrote:Watch, she'll end up with a phobia of ale. xD
I would love that, it would be funny to watch. I know I prefer to watch people get drunk, watching what they do and then remembering it to tell them about it when they sober up is always great fun.
Heheh, for that exact reason, my hunter doesn't drink. She doesn't want to be the one sitting there and being told what she did while drunk. Plus, shooting while drinking will end badly.
rubybeam

Unread post by rubybeam »

were talking abour drinking, I can admit its fun playing a drunk character just because they can do the craziest of things
Awesome signature by the awesome pengupuff!
Magli
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moonrunner

Unread post by Magli »

I'm getting a little tired of all the dwarves in WoW being drunk all the time, so a sober dwarf may be interesting. Or maybe one who drinks something other than beer...my characters tend to be whiskey drinkers, or maybe she spent some time running with a Night Elf hunter squad and developed a taste for mead and wine?

That's also an unusual pet for a dwarf, as those red lynxes are found in Blood Elf territory. Did it get lost and wander into the Plaguelands and she saved it from being torn apart by the Scourge? Did she tame it in pity after killing its master, a Blood Elf ranger-captain? Was she captured by Blood Elves and brought north for interrogation, and only escaped after making friends with an animal that the Belves were tormenting for sport?

Also, wasn't the War of the Three Hammers generations ago in the timeline? If so, you might need to rethink her surname.

Thanks to Kurenio for the signature!

It was believed afterward that the man was a lunatic, because there was no sense in what he said.

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Oh, yeah, I know it was a long time ago. The Bronzebeard dwarf part of the Firehammer clan stayed together, though, it didn't fall apart.
At least I think that's how clan surnames work. x.x

I've gotten several ideas so far from suggestions. Saturo suggested her going adventuring and finding a group of plague-hunting elves who were later killed in an attack on a scourged settlement. One of the elves would have been Rassaa's mentor, and he sent his pet (Tinder) to protect Rassaa once he died.

If I follow a path similar to that for her, then she'll probably only be drinking wine and mead. As an engineer, though, she might not drink more than a small glass. Lots of delicate trinkets + beer = exploding dwarf.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I just noticed that this was in the RP forums, so I could have replied outside of a PM. I feel stupid now. xD
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Heh. xD Don't worry, you can copy-paste if you want. ^.^

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

When she was young, she decided that she wanted to learn more about engineering, and built her first gun. Going out on an adventure, she ended up in western Lordaeron, where she grouped up with a group of elves who were out to set a stop to the spread of the Plague. One of the elves, a ranger, started training her as a hunter, and when they went to strike at a recently scourged settlement, Rassaa was the only survivor. As he died, the elven ranger asked her look after his pet, and told the pet to look after Rassaa.

Anyway, that's just something that popped into my head. xD I find it easier to just have something TINY thought out. That's what I did for Decay. Seriously, when I made her in-game, all I had on her was:

1. Elven paladin who died defending Quel'Thalas from the Scourge.
2. Raised as a DK by the Scourge.
3. Rose to a high rank as a result of quick thinking and the fact that the Scourge at the time didn't have a lot of DKs.
4. Freed as an instructor during the battle at Light's Hope.

Everything else, her name, the dragonhunting, her family history, the brief romance with Korwen, how she grew up: It all came later as I played and developed her personality.
Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

Right, I'm awake and thinking. Let's do this.
Magli wrote:Also, wasn't the War of the Three Hammers generations ago in the timeline? If so, you might need to rethink her surname.
Yes it was, but I gathered that it was more of a clan history than a personal one. She wasn't personally in the War of the Three Hammers.

Okay, so here's what I gathered from the little bit of a write up you have so-far;
- Rassaa is, as typical for dwarves, quite loyal to those who earn her trust. Despite Tinder's old age, she keeps him by her side, despite knowing that a younger pet might serve her better.
- She's smart and quite mechanically apt. Perhaps she's more comfortable around her gadgets and gizmos than around other people? If we stretch that a little, let's say she likes having control, and feels uncomfortable in situations where she doesn't have it. And perhaps that's why she doesn't like alcohol; she hates the feeling of loosing control over her thoughts, hates the lack of inhibitions that comes with being drunk.
- Hmm, now to wonder why she's adventuring. Perhaps some reason related to her clan? Like, there's a mystery or an artifact related to the Firehammers, and each of the tree parts of her clan has a piece. She wants to find out what that mystery is.

Blah, hope that sparked something.