How to level as roleplayer?

Wulf

How to level as roleplayer?

Unread post by Wulf »

Hello, I read some useful tips in the roleplay parts of this site. I only miss something important that I want to know.

How do I properly level my character while in a roleplay server?

As low level, you don't have access to some clothes you might want to wear, and you can't always tag along with others that go somewhere too difficult. But how can you level fast and stay in character? As a good roleplayer, you will have to decline a lot of quests, or sometimes are not even allowed to kill other beings (keeper of nature etc). How can you level and keep up with the others, while still in character?

Thanks a lot
Kryte
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Re: How to level as roleplayer?

Unread post by Kryte »

It depends on how hardcore you want to get with your roleplaying. I once knew a guy -- level 60 and all (back when 60 was level cap) -- who refused to buy a mount whatsoever, because he was a rogue and a mount, of course, was not stealthy whatsoever. Other people, like myself, tend to separate game mechanics and RP -- because while I like both, I often find that they don't necessarily go together very well. I don't avoid quests unless they're REALLY against my character's nature to perform. I also don't count most of the quests I've done to be a part of my character's stories. Only so many people can be the one to have brought Van Cleef to justice, after all.

However, if you're really concerned about this, I suppose you could aim to level mostly through dungeons, and pick up quests here and there as your character would. Or maybe through gathering professions. It's more difficult, but I know some people get enjoyment from the extra limitations they set on themselves.

As for clothing, there are some nice-looking sets available at low levels, and you can usually find something satisfactory for the look you're trying to achieve by the time you reach 20-30. It won't necessarily be as badass or pretty as some of the stuff you can get later, but it will work for the type of character you're looking to convey and have the advantage of looking more unique than everyone who's sitting around in their Northrend gear. Use the model viewer to help you find looks that would work for your character, or ask people if they know how to get a set that gives off an assassin/ berserker / priestess / etc vibe within your level range.

Happy hunting.
Wulf

Unread post by Wulf »

Thank you Kryte for your reply.

Maybe it is indeed the best to separate leveling and role playing, because those are hard to combine. But your idea about the extra difficulty when you have to do different quests then the ordinary sounds attractive too. The thing about no mount sounds extreme at first, but I remember I didn't use 'quick travel' in Oblivion either, because that was way out of role playing. (The good thing is that mount speed is gone, so you can have a 'cheap' brown stallion when you play not having much money).

Thanks again.
Cryptography
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dath'Remar, Cael, Moonguard, VeCo, Ness'ary (USA)

Unread post by Cryptography »

There are a whole lot of game mechanics that are best ignored while you build a good roleplay story. No-one "levels up" in real life, they just improve skills and learn new things.

Gear drops are rarely catering for RP. Gather and keep interesting stuff for your roleplay outfits but continue to use the "better" gear while questing.

On the flip side, if you really like the different play experience that can be had by placing limits on yourself, then exclusively gaining exp while in character could be a nice change. eg the pacifist, the boarkiller, the gatherer, PvP only, or the melee-only hunter.