General questions for RPers

Loffter
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alexstraza

General questions for RPers

Unread post by Loffter »

Ok, so.. How do you do it. Not like, how do you tolerate it, but with World of Warcraft, HOW do you role play?

I mean, obviously with other PCs, it's easy to RP. But with your backstory, with set NPCs in a city with set dialogue, how do you accomplish it? Do you write out a fanfic to go along with it? How do you interact with NPCs in general? Do you actually, say, talk to king wrynn then just insert whatever dialgue you want in for him in your head? Or do you just avoid NPC interaction unless it's quest related.

I ask this because I'm both curious and interested. I've never even considered an RP server.. Because I didn't understand how it works. It's not like..say, someone playing D&D, where a GM can alter conversations and fill in speaking parts as needed. Everything in WoW is pretty much set in stone. It's linear. It's more like a final fantasy game.. technically, you are filling a role, but you have no real control in what is say/said to you.

I might even be interested in trying this out, I am just curious as to how it works.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Re: General questions for RPers

Unread post by Royi »

Loffter wrote:Ok, so.. How do you do it. Not like, how do you tolerate it, but with World of Warcraft, HOW do you role play?

I mean, obviously with other PCs, it's easy to RP. But with your backstory, with set NPCs in a city with set dialogue, how do you accomplish it? Do you write out a fanfic to go along with it? How do you interact with NPCs in general? Do you actually, say, talk to king wrynn then just insert whatever dialgue you want in for him in your head? Or do you just avoid NPC interaction unless it's quest related.

I ask this because I'm both curious and interested. I've never even considered an RP server.. Because I didn't understand how it works. It's not like..say, someone playing D&D, where a GM can alter conversations and fill in speaking parts as needed. Everything in WoW is pretty much set in stone. It's linear. It's more like a final fantasy game.. technically, you are filling a role, but you have no real control in what is say/said to you.

I might even be interested in trying this out, I am just curious as to how it works.
Its really own personal preference. You can get ideas from some people sometimes, but in (virtual) reality, it is YOUR role that YOU are playing. There isn't a "right" way or a wrong way, whatever feels best for you (as long as it doesnt impede on other's experiences)

Here look at this thread by VelkynKarma ~ I think this is a great example of in-game RP ( I hope you don't mind me referencing your thread Vel, I personally thought it was fantastic :) )

http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6604
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Loffter
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alexstraza

Unread post by Loffter »

Royi wrote:
Loffter wrote:Ok, so.. How do you do it. Not like, how do you tolerate it, but with World of Warcraft, HOW do you role play?

Its really own personal preference. You can get ideas from some people sometimes, but in (virtual) reality, it is YOUR role that YOU are playing. There isn't a "right" way or a wrong way, whatever feels best for you (as long as it doesnt impede on other's experiences)

Here look at this thread by VelkynKarma ~ I think this is a great example of in-game RP ( I hope you don't mind me referencing your thread Vel, I personally thought it was fantastic :) )

http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6604
That actually does answer my question, at least a large portion. most of the RPing seems to be.. I dunno, like seeing it in game would have been an odd thing to watch live, but having it writen out in screen shot form was pretty interesting. I guess it's not something I could personally do, but I would be pretty interested in seeing a series of things like that.
erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by erwil »

I'm not sure if I've misunderstood your question, but most of the RP does not involve NPC's. I've never actually tried to RP with an NPC (other than my and other peoples' pets) but roleplay consists mainly of conversations and events with real people.

Your character's personality and story can be set on stone from the start, or you can make stuff up as you go. :) It's really up to you. It's a really fun way to spend time, sharing stories with your friends and strangers (who you will in most cases make friends with as well. xD )

The people I've met on RP servers, have been really friendly and kind. There are unfortunately some rotten eggs lying around in the pile as well. There are griefers, who like to butt in and ruin the fun (usually OOC, players who make fun of roleplayers) and then there's elitists. They often go by the book, OPRP and are rude outside of character. It's easy to tell who's roleplaying a baddie (usually extremely good at what they do as well xD ) or simply, well, a jerk in general.