Petopian Dungeons & Dragons Group!

Moonlost
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Re: Petopian Dungeons & Dragons Group!

Unread post by Moonlost »

Tudyk wrote:On the group: Spellcasters generally confused me, if I use any sort of pet I will be overly attached to keeping it alive (possibly to the detriment of the group as a whole), and bulky armor makes me twitchy. Oh and increased movement/attack speed is about my favoritest thing ever (I LOVED my tattooed monk XD).
It should be noted that with spellcasters in 4E, they're very different form 3.5 and earlier.

Essentially, there are two different types of spells. You have your class spells, which are really no different from the abilities other classes have, and then you have rituals, which can be used by anyone with the ritual caster feat (given free to a few classes)

Each class has a lit of abilities they can use, each with a limit over how often you can use them. You have At-will powers, which you can use at any time and as often as you like. Then you have encounter powers, which you use once before requiring a short rest to recharge it. Then you have your Daily powers, which you can only recharge after a 6 hour rest. You also have utility powers, but they're mostly for problem solving. Each class has these powers, but they come in different flavours. For example, a rogue will have a stab ability which does a lot of damage at once and may apply a bleed effect to the target. A Warrior would have a weapon attack that lowers the target's attack roll, a Wizard can cast a spell that does a little damage to everything within an area of effect, and a cleric would have something that would lower a target's AC, or allows another player a saving throw, or something.

Rituals are also generally for problem solving, and require you to make a skill check and pay a component cost. Unlike other editions, it's just a flat gold cost as opposed to finding the eyelashes of a medusa or some such nonsense. A lot of the old spells of previous editions have been made into rituals, such as Tenser's Floating Disk, Comprehend Languages and Wyvern Watch.

On the topic of unlikely dice rolls, about a month ago I rolled 5 natural 20s in a row. My dice are normally average rollers at best. I guess my luck comes in sudden bursts, but yeah, the other players checked to see if I was cheating.
My brother went to a game where about 8 players rolled 20s all at once. They decided to stop playing for a while and play soccer, because you know your luck will just go south after that.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Moonie, still got those 4ed books? Mind sending me a copy, and I'll see if I can make a sheet.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Schatzy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Schatzy »

I would greatly appreciate it if you would send me the 4E book links or pdfs so I can start reading. Have you put any thought into the diety the Gnomes will worship in your setting? I still think a Kobold raised by Gnomes would be interesting to play and make a backstory for even if it's not as ironic as in a traditional setting. As you can probably guess, I was going to try to come up with a crazy backstory that would allow for a Kobold Cleric to Garl Glittergold, but it'll probably be easier in a setting where the two don't hate each other by default xD.

I guess I'd better take some time to get used to Skype. It doesn't require a phone line to speak with others, does it? I ask because currently I don't have access to a phone of any kind here.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

All you'll need is an internet connection, it doesn't even have to be particularly fast.

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Schatzy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Schatzy »

Okay, maybe I'll try to get that up and running today if I find the time, or tomorrow otherwise.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

I wish you the best of luck with this LostLost! DnD is way over my head and too time constraining for a parent of two, but I like to hear about successful adventures.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Schatzy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Schatzy »

So, they merged Chaotic Good and Neutral Good into just Good? And Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil into just Evil? What an odd thing to do. Anyway, there seem to be a lot of changes they made to character creation, leveling up, and such.

By the way, what method are we using to determine ability scores? Rolling, standard set, or point buy? Also, should I make my character right away or wait until a session to do so?
Moonlost

They also merged all of the neutrals into just "unaligned", which I kinda disagree with. But then again, I always considered the alignment system to be kinda clunky, and only used it as a rough guideline.
We're just going to be using the standard array for determining stats.
As for making your character... Hmm, it's up to you really. The next game we host will be more than likely used to help the others create characters and get a bit of a group dynamic going.

Speaking of the next game... I think it's about time I set down a date and time. How does Sunday, 7:30 PM sound to everyone? Again, this'll mroe than likely just be used to get used to the game and the programs we'll be using, along with gettign to know each other. :)

Schatzy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Schatzy »

That will work well for me; very well, in fact. I'll probably do character creation ahead of time and consult you in case I did something wrong or missed anything. How are we sharing our character sheets with you? Is there something in Maptool or one of the other RPGtool programs we'll be using for that? Or will you just explain everything when we meet up?
BrickWall
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by BrickWall »

Sorry for taking so long Schatzy. Been a bit off the past day or so.

To answer the Gnomish religion question -

The Gnomes and Dwarves follow the same Belief's (basically the four elements. Earth fire etc etc) as the two Races once lived together. And then they went to war with each over and the Gnomes got kicked out of the Mountain.
The Dwarves are mired down with traditions while the Gnomes are a bit more open minded. Both races hold The Halcyon Mountain as a sacred home. The Dwarves are holding it for the moment and the Gnomes dont like it.

The only race that has actual gods are the humans, with the Eladrin in the middle of converting.
BrickWall
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by BrickWall »

My word is Moonlosts version of the Alterra map awesome.
Very very different from my 10 seconds with Microsoft Paint one.
Moonlost

Okay, so since I've heard no complaints, the date is set!
I suspect this won't be too long a game session, as Lupis said she would need to leave at about 10. I'll hopefully be getting online earlier than that, so If you want to talk with me or get started on making your character, feel free to join me.

Urgh, trying to juggle a good time for everyone is not as easy as it sounds. Especially with Brick and myself in the equasion. *shakes fist at Time Zones*

Schatzy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Schatzy »

There seem to be a few things going on with the character sheet that we (or maybe just I) will have to work around. Mostly, it doesn't give a text box for filling in race and deity, instead only giving the drop-down list. Is there any way around that? Also, I'll be making two versions of the character, one pure cleric and the other hybrid cleric/ranger just in case I get the opportunity to play the hybrid one (if someone else covers the leader role or makes a hybrid leader role character). I'll use the one that fits in best with the group.

Edit: I get the feeling the character sheet PDF was NOT created with mac users in mind....
Last edited by Schatzy on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schatzy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Schatzy »

Actually, about the time for the meet-up: What time zone is that in? It would be excellent if it were Central Time or a one or two timezones east of that... or is the time automatically formatted to adjust to the local time of readers on these forums? I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier.
Moonlost

Hmm, let me see if I can find a more Mac friendly character sheet for you (and for Lupus too). Not being a Mac user myself, I never thought that would be a problem. :S Will PM it to you.

And times are in EST. I keep the first post updated with the next meet-up time, aloong with a link to the Timezone Meeting Planner, should you need it. (Like I do XD)

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

So we are allowed to use different charts? Great, then I can put the math down on my own sheet! Besides, I really disliked the dumbed down alignments. NEUTRAL evil, not chaotic or lawful or just evil! ^^

Moonlost

Saturo wrote:So we are allowed to use different charts? Great, then I can put the math down on my own sheet! Besides, I really disliked the dumbed down alignments. NEUTRAL evil, not chaotic or lawful or just evil! ^^
So long as I'm able to look at the character sheet and make sure everything's okay, I'm more than happy for you to use your own. I just passed about the generic ones as they're relatively simple and easy to puzzle out.

Schatzy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Schatzy »

Actually, I have my mac set up as a dual-boot with BootCamp, so I can see if the character sheet works better on the windows side (I also have my old windows computer here, but that thing is mostly just a piece of junk atm).

Edit: Okay, I opened the PDF up in windows, and now I can enter text into the fields that I couldn't before, however, It won't let me save a copy unless it's a blank one? What the heck is that about? At least on mac I could save one in which I've filled in fields...
Moonlost

Are you using Adobe Acrobat reader on your windows set up? Because that thing won't let you tamper with PDFs. Instead, try the free version of Foxit Reader.

Schatzy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Schatzy »

I installed Foxit Reader and can now save the altered document, but I still can't put custom text into the fields with dropdown boxes (i.e. it won't let me put Kobold in the race category), but I'll fill in what it will let me I suppose. Is there any way to get around that? Also, does the sheet automatically calculate ability mods at some point, or do those just remain as 0 no matter what? Sorry for responding late; I've been busy today.