Petopian Dungeons & Dragons Group!

KeemZ
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Winterhoof

Re: Petopian Dungeons & Dragons Group!

Unread post by KeemZ »

Let me know how this all goes, would love to jump in one day :D. What we need to play, as far as stuff computer related, LoL.
KeemZ Kill Krew!!1!
Moonlost
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

@ Tudyk
It's fine, the other players had to cancel for various reasons as well, so you didn't really miss out on anything.

@ KeemZ
You're more than welcome to join us. The more the merrier. :D
The programs we're using are on the front page and I can PM you the campaign settings.

@Everyone else
Currently deciding on the next RP day and time. Although it could be cool to do something tomorrow, I'm thinking next week could be better. Is Next saturday at the same time (7pm est) okay with everyone, or does anyone have a better day/time? I'm pretty flexible, so really whatever is fine with you guys.
I suppose I should note that I'm not upset with not being able to play. Not only was I half expecting it anyway, I'm also a little grateful. An extra week means I have a little more time to make this adventure super-special-awesome for you guys. :)

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Next week will probably work! Sorry, I was so busy this week with AP sign ups that I didn't even get time to read all the info you sent me. ;_;

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Moonlost

Hehe, I think I was a little too eager to get started. Some time for all of us to kinda go over everything is definately for the best I think.

One thing I do want you guys to think about over the next week, and possibly post up here, is a basic idea of what you want your character to do. For example, do you want to be a magic user, or do you want to use a great big axe? Do you want a pet, or the ability to shoot lightning, or smite evildoers with the power of your god? Is there any WoW class you want to base your character off of, or a class/character from another game?
The way 4th Edition works, there's a number of classes that will not only fit your basic desires for your character but will fill one of the four roles needed for a basic party. :D

The only restriction I'm going to be placing down right now is no downright evil characters. I'd like a predominantly good aligned party, sorry all you potentual necromancers out there.

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

*tries to remember.*

I think I've played a quick 4 ed. game with the family before. I was...a dragonborn druid. My job was crowd control. My mom was an elven priest, and I think my sister was a elven ranger. She was scary, too. Got amazing dice rolls. I got all the awful ones.

The roles are healy, tanky, single DPS and multi-DPS, right? I am thinking of the right thing?
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

If I don't get my necromancer I'm not playing! *Grumpy*

Not that I was playing in the first place. ^^

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Moonlost

*Snorts at the bad die rolls* That sounds like me ona any given game night. XD
And you're completely correct with the class roles. One thing I do like about 4E, that I must have mentioned a billion times by now, is just how fun the normally boring roles (such as the healer) turn out to be. Not to mention that you don't feel shoehorned into playing a cleric or a druid just because none of the other players feel like playing the healer for once.... Err, not that I'll be taking my past frustration out on my future players of course. >.>

KeemZ
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by KeemZ »

1) Not really, but been trying to get some D&D/WoD games started but work keeps me from home alot.
2) I work 14 days then got 7 off, so it really depends on if the boat is traveling or not.
3) Depends. I work 12 hours a day, but I rotates between day and night.
4) Sometimes

We have character sheets online? LoL.
KeemZ Kill Krew!!1!
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Yeah. I ended up nearly dying, and I had to leave for a job, so I left my char in the hands of my Dad, who was the DM. Luckily, his rolling luck was better than mine, so I lived. Ironically, my brother would never roll well, but the mobs could never hit him. xD I think my favorite story though is when we were doing a more modern more RP than combat esque one, there was a situation where there was this orb in a fire. We're all staring at it, and my sister is all, "I'mma pick it up." She ends up rolling a 20, which in that game was a critical failure. >.<;

She ends up catching on fire.

And yeah, I can understand how that wouldn't be fun. Nothing like being forced to play something to make your mood awful.
Moonlost

KeemZ wrote:We have character sheets online? LoL.
Not quite. I PMed you a PDF of a fillable Character Sheet, which you should be able to edit and save if you have a decent PDF reader. :)

Azunara wrote:Yeah. I ended up nearly dying, and I had to leave for a job, so I left my char in the hands of my Dad, who was the DM. Luckily, his rolling luck was better than mine, so I lived. Ironically, my brother would never roll well, but the mobs could never hit him. xD I think my favorite story though is when we were doing a more modern more RP than combat esque one, there was a situation where there was this orb in a fire. We're all staring at it, and my sister is all, "I'mma pick it up." She ends up rolling a 20, which in that game was a critical failure. >.<;

She ends up catching on fire.

And yeah, I can understand how that wouldn't be fun. Nothing like being forced to play something to make your mood awful.
20, a critical failure? What a bizarro world indeed.
Hmm, it's been a while since we had any truely fun and memorable moments. Alas, as much as I love my current D&D group, they're... a little hack and slash-y. Which is fine, but a chance to be a little more creative would be nice.

Oh, and I've put the Campaign Map and details on the front page. It's technically not finished yet, Brick and I still need to finish up sections on important people and interesting locations, but it's enough to kinda give you a bit of a look into the world I'll be setting you guys in. :3

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

On the subject of bad rolls...
This doesn't relate to D&D, but it does relate to roleplaying.
My druid always had terrible rolls in /roll fights. Once they were bad enough that he managed to get stabbed and Death Gripped onto a claymore in the same fight. Luckily he was in trent form so he didn't just outright die (no guts, just wood), but it was petty sad. NONE of my rolls worked, and almost all of his were critical strikes.
However!
One of my characters had great rolls!
It was... my druid's spider mini pet. -.- (Yes, my spider was in a fight.)
Chak, my spider, had to fight off a huge poisonous chimera, Volitous. My druid could do very little because he was dealing with a broken arm and a broken leg - all he could do was cast Hibernate, which he did once.
And man, that little spider could kick butt. Spat enough poison in the chimera's throats to swell them up and suffocate it. Almost every roll worked.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

OH! Roll fights...

Um, Azu was....32, going against an 80 and a 70. She was getting torn apart really badly, and right towards the end she was just getting amazing rolls and they were failing so badly. Sadly, they got a good shot on poor Azu and she went down. It was still awesome to see little bear form Azu just rolling 32s, and them rolling 10s, 20s, and she was just beating them down as best as she could. XD

Poor Azu.

And go itty bitty spider go! XD
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Heh, I've never really liked Roll Fights actually, but that's just me. I really like written out fights - where there's no rolling, just elaborate emotes. Those can take a while, though, and you really need to be able to trust your opponent not to be overpowered.

Poor bear Azu. :-( And BA bear Azu, for that time that she was getting good rolls!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Azu deserved it. :D

Okay. So I'm not the nicest person to my characters. So?
Schatzy
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Schatzy »

ZOMG HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD?!

Ahem.

I look at these forums every day, and somehow I managed to miss this thread. Unfortunately, my raiding schedule runs into the time and day of the week you guys have set for the sessions, but I'd like to express my interest anyway.

1. I've played a little D&D: a one-shot campaign on New Years' Eve one year with my friends and an ongoing campaign with my group of friends that has one session every like 4 months. I'm more interested in the mechanics than the roleplaying in these games, but I will do some RP at least (if I get involved) so you all know my character (and I usually come up with a short backstory at least). I've only played 3.5, and I've mostly heard bad things about 4.0 (but mostly coming from 3.5 junkies), but I'd like to try it out.

2. Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays are the days when I have time for something like this. All the other days are filled to the brim with classes -_-

3. All of the following times are in Central Time:
Tuesday I can meet anytime after 2:00 P.M.
Thursday I have time from 2:00 to 8:00 P.M.
Saturday I have from 11:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. open.
Sundays it depends on when my Savage Worlds group meets, but most likely I will have the evening from 7:30 onward.

4. Yes (I love my mac).

I have a couple questions about the campaign world and the 4.0 rules to see if I can make a character idea that I came up with and just love. For now, I call him Irony Incarnate (because I haven't really come up with a real name for him).

First, do the Gnomes and Kobolds in your setting have the same relationship as in the Greyhawk setting (in which they absolutely despise each other because of the whole Kurtalmak/Garl Glittergold fiasco), or do they worship different gods and have different views?

Second, do the 4.0 rules have rules yet for making Kobold characters?

Thanks!
Moonlost

Hi Schatzy, we're still really trying to find out what day works best, maybe we can find a time that works for you as well.

As for your questions:
No, there wouldn't be any real hatred between the gnomes and the kobolds in this setting, mostly as the normal D&D gods aren't really worshipped. To be honest, I haven't really thought about where abouts the Kobolds fit into Alterra.

Yes, we do have stat rules for Kobolds, they're at the back of the 4E Monster Manual.

If you like, I can PM you links to the 4E books I have on PDF so you can have a look yourself.

BrickWall
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by BrickWall »

I'm not too sure if people really wanted to know this stuff or not but I'll put it down anyway.

Of the 'main' races of our little world Alterra you find - Dragonborn, Dwarves, Eladrin, Elves, Halfling, Human, Tiefling, Gnome and Minotaur.
The other races are there but they're not one of this worlds major races
Also Half-Elves and Half-Orcs aren't a race as such. They're just and Elf or Eladrin or Orc with another race as one of the parents and you were raised by one side of the family or the other. Hey backstory!
Halflings dont have much in the way of details in Altera because ... I kinda forgot about them. I'll either make up something later or they've just always been around ((Shrug))
Drow and Warforged wont be normally playable but we will let you get away with it if you must ... but I will cry ... then I'll get over it.

Schatzy, now you were asking about Gnomes and Kobolds. I know Moonlost did answer you but I thought you'd like to know a bit more, just incase you could figure out the Alterra Lore Notes (Keep in mind those are still a work in progress)
Yes the races dont like each other much. But only certain ones. Also keep in mind that this is just a very broad racial sterotype. You dont need to roleplay this if you dont want to.

Elves and Eladrin dont like each other.
Dwarfs and Gnomes dont like each other.
Humans and Eladrin Do like each other.
Most races dont like Humans.
Humans have enslaved the Minotaurs.
There are more details in the Aterra notes in the first post.

I do hope I managed to create some more confusion with all that.
And now, BrickWall Away!
KeemZ
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by KeemZ »

We can be Minotaurs!!1! There goes me begging for a Gnoll character, LoL.
KeemZ Kill Krew!!1!
Tudyk
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thunderlord (A) Uther (H)

Unread post by Tudyk »

On rolling: Ugh, dice hate me sometimes. I played one campaign where I was some sort of strange barbarian and I had tweaked her like crazy (and bought the GM an extra 12-pack of coke) to let her use the MASSIVE longbow that I thought would be the COOLEST thing ever. Of course, we ended up mostly being in tiny little caves and other annoyingly close quarters ... I NEVER got to pull the thing out and ended up swingin' around whatever I could get my hands on.

Weeks into the campaign I FINALLY had a chance to use my bow (some nasty many-armed thing had dragged one of us into a tree), and ... promptly rolled a pair of 1's to attack. Which (house rules) was a "critical failure." Yup. This freaking massive weapon of incredible doom I'd been dragging through caves for WEEKS and the first time I pull back the string on the gorram thing I snap it in half.

On the group: Spellcasters generally confused me, if I use any sort of pet I will be overly attached to keeping it alive (possibly to the detriment of the group as a whole), and bulky armor makes me twitchy. Oh and increased movement/attack speed is about my favoritest thing ever (I LOVED my tattooed monk XD).

Thanks to Pengupuff for the sig!

KeemZ
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by KeemZ »

LoL, first D&D experiance. The guy who was dMing was like hardcore spellslinger with super stealth. I was playing a Drow, LoL. There was this castle and he was silently making his way through different rooms, freezing peoples faces. I bought a small Ion stone(they just float around your head) and smoked 2 feet of hemp rope(I was in high school). I go into the same castle as this guy and 5 guards charge me. I trip on the steps going down, shoots my hand cross bow and kills the first one. The Dm comes around to try and help, he gets nothing but fails. I wind up someway killing the guards by like freak of nature type stuff like hitting one guy and his spear catches the guy in front of him. I was rolling 18 or better. It was like one of those time you shut up guys who are hardcore into stuff, I guess :D. Took my dice I keep in my computer bag today and they laughed at me everytime I rolled :D.
KeemZ Kill Krew!!1!