Outcast (RP Story)

Moonlost
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Outcast (RP Story)

Unread post by Moonlost »

I have been pretty much obsessing over Zaruuk, my draenei mage character in the Fury of the Twilight Clan RP, for the past week or so. Each day it seems like his story grows ever more complex, and goodness knows I won't be able to go though it all in the RP thread, not that I would want to. So, have a stand-alone story instead. :P
This is set pretty early during Zaruuk's life; He's around 20 or so in draenei terms here. It's also going to be cut up into three parts, later segments being posted up once they're finished.

Part One: Calm
_

Amidst the great inter-dimensional ship Oshu'gun lay a virtual maze of corridors and pathways, abandoned due to the sheer enormity of the crystalline vessel. Sitting alone and on the floor in one of these abandoned corridors was a young, male draenei - as the group of people had begun to call themselves. His head was propped up against a wall with his eyes closed; his breathing regular and slow, almost in rhythm with the distant hum of the Naaru that powered the ship though it's dimension hopping.
Zaruuk liked the solitude of these corridors; they gave him the perfect retreat from the hustle that was everyday life within Oshu'gun. Here, he could think without having to worry about being hassled by onlookers.
Not to mention that there were no narrowed eyes glaring at him here, as if they expected the young draenei to snap and attempt to devour their very souls at any moment. He had been scrutinised this way for as long as he could remember. If it weren't for his skills as a magi and an enchanter, he probably would have been thrown into the Twisting Nether by now. And it was all because of his eyes, which were green as opposed to the silvery blue normally seen in his people. At least, as far as he could tell, that was the cause. He suspected that there was something more to the situation, but his mother had decided not to enlighten him to the true cause.
At least here, he was not scrutinised. He found himself humming along with K'ure; the Naaru's song always seemed to be able to calm him. Although one could hear the wordless singing of the light-infused being throughout the ship, it was often drowned out by the clatter and clamour of everyday life.

He was disturbed from his meditations by the sound of hooves clattering against the crystal floors, echoing endlessly and drowning out the Naaru's song. Zaruuk groaned and placed his face in his palms; he knew of only one person who would clatter though these abandoned halls at such a speed. Sure enough, when he looked up, he learned his suspicions were correct.
Charging down towards the mage, half naked and with a panicked expression, was another young man of a similar age to Zaruuk. Whereas Zaruuk was quite thin for his species and generally well groomed, this youth was far more broad and muscled, with a scruffy cast to his features. He held a large red cushion to his otherwise naked crotch.
“Zar!” The newcomer cried out as he reached the sitting mage. “You need to help me!”
“No.” Zaruuk responded, folding his arms across his chest. “I have to bail you out every single time this happens. I am placing my hoof down here.”
“Come ooooooon.” The muscled youth's voice took on a pleading tone. “Yanat is hounding for my blood, you have to help me out here!”
“Well then, perhaps you should have thought before bedding his daughter. Really Thren. This is, what, the third time you've had an angry Vindicator on your heels?”
“Fourth if you include Kyali when I stole her sword.” Threnaad grinned.
“Prophet Velen need not worry about the population of our people with you around.” Zaruuk smirked, trying not to get sucked in by his friend's jovial nature.

Threnaad had been his friend for as long as Zaruuk could remember. Hell, the two of them were practically brothers by all but blood. Threnaad had also been getting into trouble for as long as he could remember, often dragging Zaruuk along for the ride. It had only gotten worse as the warrior had grown older and had developed a certain fondness for the fairer sex; an appetite that had only been fuelled thanks to Threnaad's rugged good looks. As a result, he had earned the reputation of being a lady-killer of sorts, a reputation which he has no qualms about maintaining. Zaruuk also suspected that if it hadn't been for Threnaad's remarkable skill with a mace and his tenacity in combat, he too would have been tossed into the Twisting Nether, if only to save any women he had not yet met.

“Hah! You laugh, therefore my plight is valid and you must help me!' Threnaad grinned triumphantly. “Don't force me to remove this cushion.”
“Okay, okay.” Zaruuk finally relented. He stood up and stretched his arms behind his head. “But you owe me big.”
“I swear an oath to you, oh magic wielding one, that so long as I draw breath I shall protect you from stray cushions, fine women and strong liquor.” The warrior raised one hand to his chest in oath.
“Put that down before you loose your grip on your modesty.”
“Modesty? Pah, I have no need of your strange concept of modesty!”
Zaruuk would have retorted, if he had not heard the clatter of more hooves in the distance. “Come on then, oh immodest one. I fear your pursuers are hot on your tail.”

The two draenei clattered off in the opposite direction, their good-natured jibes echoing though the hallways.

~

“Really now, I don't know why I continue to help you Threnaad.” Phyrala said with an amused sigh, placing a pair of cotton pants in front of the warrior.
“You and me both, Mother.” Zaruuk added with a shake of his head and a smirk on his face.
“Oh hush.” Threnaad poked his tongue out. “You do it because you love me.”
“Uh-huh.” Phyrala rolled her eyes. “Go change in the other room. My love only goes so far.”
With an embellished bow and a wink, Threnaad grabbed the pants and moved off into the other room. Mother and son looked at each other as soon as he left.
“One day I'll be turning him from my door you know.” She remarked.
“And on that day, the Prophet will retire and appoint Thren in his place.” Zaruuk retorted. “I don't know if he's ever been denied anything in his life, the charismatic bastard.”
Phyrala chuckled, moving back to her needlework as she waited. “So, how have you been, Zaruuk? I don't see you often these days.”
“Well enough, I suppose.” The mage shrugged. “Laraat has me working hard, as per usual. These days he passes most of his enchanting duties onto me. I barely have enough time to tend to my arcane studies, truth be told.”
“That just shows he trusts you and your powers.” She smiled proudly.
“Hah, or that he's lazy and bored of the more mundane enchanting duties.”
“Now, it's not nice to tease your teacher.” Phyrala chuckled.
“Who said anything about teasing?”
Zaruuk's mother was about to respond to that, but was interrupted by knocking on the wall outside. She stood up to see who it was, before waving the visitor inside.

Zaruuk's heart skipped a beat as he saw who entered, his face flushing ever so slightly. She was a little younger than he, with skin of indigo and hair of molten silver. Twin curved horns sweept backwards from her head. Her form was garbed in shining steel armour, immaculately maintained and perfectly fitted. He looked away from her quickly, not wanting to appear as if he were staring.
“Where is he?” She asked, looking around.
“Other room.” Phyrala responded. “He's getting changed.”
“He'll be needing padding for his arse when I'm done with him.” The young Vindicator responded, stalking off into the room. A garbled cry of pain echoed out from the room. Threnaad and his sister soon emerged, the warrior rubbing at his bottom.
“Happy to see you too, Kyali.” Threnaad said dejectedly, moving to stand next to a wall, hoping that by placing himself close to it he would be protected form future kicks.
“Vindicator Yanat was this close to kicking me out of the order thanks you you!” Kyali spaced her thumb and index finger a centimetre apart for effect.
“Why would he do that?” Thrnaad's questioned. “You had nothing to do with this... Unless-”
“Don't finish that sentence.” Kyali snapped. “As cursed as I am to be your sister, your actions reflect on me, as if I had some sort of magic ability to control you. And you know that Yanat has never liked you. He will take any excuse to get at you, I just happen to be in the way.”
“Sis, you know I'd never attempt to get you in trouble like that.” Threnaad looked away and ran his fingers though his short-cropped silver hair. “I'll see if I can get this sorted out.”
“No need.” Kyali's face turned into a mischievous little grin. “I already sorted something out for you.”
“Oh, I am not filled with confidence about this.” Threnaad groaned as he caught sight of his sister's smile.
“You're to accompany the Vindicators on the next scouting mission.”
“What? Scouting?!” Threnaad's face fell at the news.
Last edited by Moonlost on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Moonlost

Re: Outcast (RP Story)

Zaruuk couldn't blame his friend's panic; whenever Oshu'gun slipped close enough to another plane of existence within the Twisting Nether, the Vindicators organised various scouting parties to search for food and other materials they may need. Although Oshu'gun was able to provide all the basic needs the draenei needed to stay alive, many other materials (such as ore, fresh food and other such items) needed to be gathered from these worlds. These are normally bartered from the natives of the worlds they visit (if the world is populated by any intelligent species anyway) or gathered as quickly from the wilds as possible.
The only problem is that only one out of every five scouting parties returns to Oshu'gun unscathed. Sometimes the locals turn out to be less friendly than expected, or the wildlife turns hostile. More likely as not, however, they are attacked by the Burning Legion. Despite their attempts to flee their fallen brothers and their demonic cohorts, the Legion always seemed to be one step behind them, ready to attack as soon as they stopped to restock.
Because of the risks involved, only the most experienced are ever sent out on scouting missions. Normally anyway. Sometimes exceptions are made if supplies are desperately needed. Despite all the precautions the Vindicators take when organising these missions, everyone knows that there's always the chance of death at the hands of the man'ari. Or worse.

“I've never been scouting before!” Threnaad began to pace about and wring his hands together. “Hell, I've never been outside of Oshu'gun before, how am I supposed to know what to look for or what to do? He knows I'm just going to be eaten by some damned man'ari dog. Or is that the plan; abandon me there and say I got killed? This is just great-”
“Stop panicking. I'm going along as well, just to make sure you don't get yourself into any more trouble.” Kyali sighed, placing a hand on his brother's shoulder.
“I'll come too.” Zaruuk called out, to the surprise of everyone else in the room.
“Zar, don't feel you need to come along on my idiot brother's account.” Kyali responded with a smile that sent Zaruuk's heart pounding.
“Do you think he could truly manage by himself?” Zaruuk retorted, before his eyes widened and a flush crept across his face. “Not that you're incapable of protecting him of course Kyali, I just mean he has a penchant for getting into danger and surely an extra pair of eyes could help out to try and keep him from that danger-” He bit his tongue to stop himself from rambling on any further.
“Hey!” Threnaad grumped. “I can hear you, you know!”
“Good!” Kyali called back. “Maybe you'll actually learn something this time-”
“And besides,” Zaruuk interrupted. “We three have always done everything together. Why should we stop now?”
“He has a point.” Threnaad grinned, returning back to his jovial self finally. “And with the three of us together, the Legion won't know what hit them!”
Kyali chuckled and shook her head. “Okay then. I'll let Exarch Commodus know you'll be joining as well, Zar. Come on Threnaad, you need to start preparing.”
“As you will, oh divine sister.” Threnaad responded with an over the top bow, which Kyali roleld her eyes at. The two then moved outside, waving goodbye to Zaruuk and Phyrala as they left.

“You're quite smitten with her, aren't you?” Zaruuk's mother said once the two siblings were out of earshot, a wry smile dancing on her face.
“What? No I-” Zaruuk began to protest, even as he began to blush blue.
“Don't lie, son. It's written all over your face.” Phyrala chuckled. “Don't wait too long. Love has this funny way of passing you by before you know it.”
Zaruuk quickly left the house and began to move towards his quarters, not wishing to talk about any feelings he may or may not have towards his childhood friend.

Phyrala shook her head as she watched him rush off. He'd figure it out somehow, she supposed. She was more worried about him heading on this scouting mission, although she dared not pester him about it. He didn't need her clucking about him like a mother hen. At the very least, he was a skilled mage and could easily take care of himself. She was sure nothing would go wrong.

~

Keztog wrung his hands together and paced in front of the doorway, nervous despite himself. The little imp had been blessed with a remarkable sense of self preservation, which was currently screaming at him to try and find someone else to give the Overlord the report. He closed his eyes and swallowed, trying to calm himself. It's not like he was delivering bad news, everything would go fine. Mustering up what little courage had been placed in his tiny body, the imp moved into the the Highlord's chambers.
The walls were decorated with over a thousand trophies form a thousand different battles. Arcane paraphernalia littered the shelves, with a few alchemical apparatuses bubbling away here and there. The Overlord himself stood on the far right of the room, staring intently at an illusion of the known Twisting Nether, his fingers lightly curled around his chin. He turned his frightful green eyes to stare at Keztog as the imp cleared his throat.
“Oh great Overlord Archimonde, who does crush armies underneath his mighty cloven hooves, we have reports of where we suspect the traitorous outcasts to be stopping next.” Keztog called out loudly, trying to make himself sound as regal as possible. He was also trying not to leave a pee stain on the Overlord's floor.
Archimonde reached down and grabbed the scroll from Keztog, delicately opening it up and reading the contents. He frowned, then moved to the illusion before him, touching five planetoids in turn. As his fingers swept though the magical image, the planets began to glow a faint red colour.
Kil'Jaeden's information gatherers were unable to narrow it down further?” The great eredar growled.
“I am afraid not, oh magnificent one.”
Very well. Tell Faz'thurad, Shartuul, Vardrek, Arazzius and Rethaden to amass their troops, respectively.” Archimonde dismissed the imp with a wave of his clawed hand. Bowing, Keztog quickly skittered out of the chambers and down the hall, happy to be out of danger.
Archimonde snarled softly to himself. He was staring to tire of this chase. The sooner he had Velen's head crushed in between his fingers, the better.

~

((Link to Part Two))
Last edited by Moonlost on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

*Grabby hands* More more! :D

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Awesome!

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Kamalia
Realm: Kael'Thas, Nesingwary

Unread post by Kamalia »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:*Grabby hands* More more! :D
^^^^^^

Fantastic read, Moon!

Chibi-Jen signature done by Sat, all other sigs and avatar done by me.

Serendipity82
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

Kamalia wrote:
TygerDarkstorm wrote:*Grabby hands* More more! :D
^^^^^^

Fantastic read, Moon!

I 5th the motion.
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

More. There must be. Yes.
Moonlost

Hehe, glad you guys seem to like it. :P
Next one souldn't take me more than a few days. Hopefully.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I wish my writing skills were that talented. :lol: I can't wait for more.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:I wish my writing skills were that talented. :lol: I can't wait for more.
This. My writing just can't compare to yours, Moon. Why are you superior than I in everything? xD
Moonlost

*Blinks* You're kidding right? I thought this to be average writing at best. XD
I keep having to edit out little errors I see >.>

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I am not kidding. >_>
*feels even worse about her own writing*

[/center]
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Your writing has more life and detail than mine, for one thing. I could rarely pull off detail, always made me nuts.
Moonlost

Nonono, not meant as an attack on your stuff Tyger. D: I always enjoy reading your posts, all your characters are awesome. Same for you Azu! *Praise all around*
*Open mouth, insert foot*

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

*tilts head.*

I'd never stick my foot in my mouth. For one thing, I -do- know where it's been...
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I'm horrible when it comes to inserting tiny random details that help lighten up posts and stories and stuff.
And I know it's not an attack. :P

If I ever go back to college it'll probably be to try and major in fictional writing so my work will hopefully get better.

Damn you Moon! Now I want to go write something, but I'm not sure what.

[/center]
Serendipity82

And everyone above has far,far, FAR superior writing skills to me. So there. You'll all better than I am XD
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I think you're doing great in the RP Myri. :D

[/center]
Serendipity82

Thank you Tyger...I am trying!

And now back to your regularly scheduled Epic short story.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

*Sits and tries to be patient as Moon works on more*

*Bounces in excitement*

[/center]