A Question on Characters

Should we limit a number of characters per RP?

Yeah, I think we should. It gets really confusing.
85%
No, do not do this! It's not fair, and limits me.
15%

Total votes: 13

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Re: A Question on Characters

Unread post by Royi »

Wow who would have thunk this would have gotten so heated over just an idea. Anyways, would just posting the rules at the beginning of a new roleplay suffice? And if people don't like it they just dont have to participate.

Perhaps you could even have the first post continually edited to give just brief 1-2 sentance descriptions of characters, something like

Spongebob the Great (Royi -------------- P)-----Location
^Char Name ----------- ^created by ----- ^P-protagonist A-antagonist

Spongebob the Great (Royi-A) Bikini Bottom
^What it would look like in shorter form^

-Defeater of Plankton the Cruel back in 45 ABY, Savior of Krusty Krab, friends with Patrick of Star and enjoyed Krabby Patties and his pet Gary. Currently attempting to find out how to catch the Rare Jellyfish Beast (Brief Description of Character)

Just an idea to organize the character structure a bit from someone who only RP's when its involving strapping Azu to rockets
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Senna-Umbreon
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Eonar, Nesingwary, Windrunner and the Venture Co.

Unread post by Senna-Umbreon »

*Peeks into thread* ..... Okay, fine. I've calmed down a bit. Happy now?

... I'll join the next story. ONLY because I'll be dying from the fact that I'm missing it if I don't. I'm not happy about the limit... But... *Shakes head* I still HATE the limit idea. But since I'm too attached to my characters to just ignore the next story.... I guess I'll deal with it....
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

We're still figuring it all out, Senna. Glad to have you back, though. :-)
I still think that if you can juggle all the characters well, then it's fine. If you can post fast and post with all the characters that need attention, it's not too bad, in my eyes.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I think Moonlost's idea is more than fair.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
rubybeam

Unread post by rubybeam »

i'm sorry guys I think i'm quitting..I might give it a try but I HATE character limits, so sorry but if the next rp isn't there there'll be no cherrie if theres character limits
Awesome signature by the awesome pengupuff!
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Ruby, again, don't jump the gun. Nobody has said that anything is decided yet.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I find the whole quitting attitude a bit selfish, personally.

Is it necessary to have like ten MAIN characters in one RP? Is it fair to the other people you RP with to impose that many characters upon them (especially if they only play one or two) and make it more difficult for them to remember everyone (especially if they're involved in multiple RPs)?

Is it fair to your characters to have so many? I know that sounds weird, but it's true. I'm finding that with the four-ish characters I have in the TotH thread that I think some of them are losing out on development time because I'm trying to field so many characters. Characters like my priest, Alarial, fall behind and don't get to be explored as deeply.

I think these are questions one needs to ask themself when coming up with characters for an RP (it's also why I haven't rushed in some of the character concepts I've come up with into TotH). You (general you here) need to think of everyone that's going to be involved in the RP, not just yourself. I would think that after four or five characters, all their personalities would start blending and it would start getting confusing keeping track of them all.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

I agree with Tyger.

What she said is pretty much the difference between Azu in PokeRP and Azu in TotH. The characters of mine you see in PokeRP are, I'll admit, bland. Boring. Single minded and not really dynamic. I have hit the point with my chars in it where I want to start fresh. New slate. Just not bother with any of them, whatsoever, and try one single, totally new character. Focus only on that char. I'm tempted to do that.

The characters of mine you see in TotH are a lot more dynamic. They have their fears and likes, I have a condensed past, I know who they are. I know how they act around people and in certain situations, more or less. They're characters I can easily RP.

Not so with the PokeRPs chars, and that's because I tried to balance so many characters.

So yeah. Pretty much what Tyger said.

And I think whatever we do, PokeRP wise, I will start with a clean slate with none of my old chars. If I miss them, I may bring them back, but beyond that, no. I'm not going to deal with them.
Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

rubybeam wrote:i'm sorry guys I think i'm quitting..I might give it a try but I HATE character limits, so sorry but if the next rp isn't there there'll be no cherrie if theres character limits
At the end of RotS, did you not complain that you didn't feel you had anything meaningful to add to the story? That you felt all your characters were just side characters to the rest of the plot? Part of that problem, I believe, is that you simply had too many characters without much depth to them.
By limiting yourself to only a few characters, you have much more time and space to make the few characters you do have more alive, for lack of a better word. To develop them, give them personalities and quirks, make their relationships meaningful.
Azunara wrote:I agree with Tyger.

What she said is pretty much the difference between Azu in PokeRP and Azu in TotH. The characters of mine you see in PokeRP are, I'll admit, bland. Boring. Single minded and not really dynamic. I have hit the point with my chars in it where I want to start fresh. New slate. Just not bother with any of them, whatsoever, and try one single, totally new character. Focus only on that char. I'm tempted to do that.

The characters of mine you see in TotH are a lot more dynamic. They have their fears and likes, I have a condensed past, I know who they are. I know how they act around people and in certain situations, more or less. They're characters I can easily RP.

Not so with the PokeRPs chars, and that's because I tried to balance so many characters.

So yeah. Pretty much what Tyger said.

And I think whatever we do, PokeRP wise, I will start with a clean slate with none of my old chars. If I miss them, I may bring them back, but beyond that, no. I'm not going to deal with them.
I hear that, although I still think you should bring in Sol, if only so she can be, ah, part of the plan of the antagonists. >.>

And... I have that problem too really. There's only one character I really want to continue with, and that's Venin. I feel she's vibrant and complex, easy to roleplay with and fit her into different situations.
I generally like the cncept behind my other characters... but they can get so boring. So one dimensional. Like Baaz; I enjoy his concept, but actually roleplaying him gets tedious; there's only really one side to this character and I can't think of what else to add to him. He'll be joining the roleplay for the same reasoning that I suggest Sol come back in. But if it weren't for that, I'd be happy to retire him right now.

(I'm also stupidly tempted to join in with TotH... If it weren't for the fact I'm busy with setting up stuff for my Dungeons and Dragons game, I would totally think something up.)
Last edited by Moonlost on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Mmm. I'll bring Sol back, but only for the antagonist bit. 'Sides. She, in my mind, doesn't count.

Also, TotH is awesome. If pushing things. (*RPs a bronze drake, and still feels guilty, even though I've been told he's not -THAT- bad. >.>;*)

Only problem I find with my new character is I have to figure out a name.
rubybeam

Okay sorry for the sudden drama queen thing earlier I was alittle irratated
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Happens, Ruby, no worries. I've done that. A lot...

I really dunno what I'll do for the new RP. I like Buzzard, and I'll probably bring him back - but if Sol goes Antagonist, I've got a feeling that he'll be dragged in too.
Summer... Yeah, I have plans for her.
I might make Lark my "Main" protagonist.
After that... Don't think I'll have many/any other characters. >.>
Edit - Dur, I'll have my antagonist besides my Pokemon.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

rubybeam

I know for sure cherries coming in, sephira also and more main characters that possibly tie to the two
Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

After having a think on this, here's what I've decided for the next Pokemon RP:
Currently, there is a suggested limit on main characters of five plus one Antagonist Character. You're free to go above that limit, HOWEVER keep in mind that doing so may slow down the game, force yourself to ignore your other characters to keep up with the flow of the story and/or create a less fun atmosphere for other players.
You're free to have a few side characters, but keep in mind they will not be influencing the plot in any major way.
If things get a little too confusing with your characters, other players reserve the right to tell you so. Please don't get bitchy with them if they bring up their grievances.
How's that? A compromise for everyone.
Last edited by Moonlost on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

I approve. Everyone wins.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

rubybeam

EDIT: nevermind it was fixed
Kamalia
Realm: Kael'Thas, Nesingwary

Unread post by Kamalia »

Looks good to me. From what it looks like everyone will be happy to some extent. :)
For the new RP, so far all I've got is Julius and two new characters. I might add more as we go, like an antagonist once I know what their goal is, what they're like, ect.

As for TotH... man, I am so sorely tempted to join in. However, I've only gone through a few pages of the thread and I don't have much of an idea of what's going on. Also the characters I want to roleplay are both Goblins and they don't quite fit in yet in terms of timeline.
Ah, well. A new thread will pop up eventually and then I can get a chance to introduce my little green money-grubbers. <3

Chibi-Jen signature done by Sat, all other sigs and avatar done by me.

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

That, and they'll have a hard time fitting in with our mostly Ally group. xD

Then again, most goblins were neutral...They could get into Ally cities easily...Hmm...And I say you should read the whole thing. Shouldn't take -that- long, it's a lot shorter than the other RPs, and a fair bit of it tends to be OOC. xD
Lupis
Petopia Artist

Unread post by Lupis »

Actually, TotH has a pretty simple storyline so far. ^.^
Basically, hunt down the Cultists before they hunt down you.
Cultists being - Faron (and Vallrok), Rose, and Dalinda. Though, only one of them is a real Cultist.
Worgen are coming into the story already, so I think Goblins might start popping up, the early ones at least.
Of course, us Cultists wouldn't mind a goblin helper if she/he could heal. *Big doe eyes*

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising

rubybeam

I was hoping to join that rp too but my WoW rping skills suck. hugely so I'll wait till a new one opeans up before I bring in a few charries and join you guys