A Sworn Promise (RP Story)

Ikutai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

A Sworn Promise (RP Story)

Unread post by Ikutai »

(So, this is my first attempt EVER at writing an RP Story about my toon. Please bear with me, and I hope you all enjoy it!)

The rain was cold, the wind, biting; but it mattered not. Ikutai trudged onward, the newest content of his Dragonhide Bag shifted heavily. Squinting through the mist, rain, and wind, the Cenarion Refuge slowly came into view. Three Years ago he left there, shamed and dishonored; how would they treat him upon his return?
---
Three Years Ago…

“Warlord Kalitresh”, she said as she looked into Ikutai’s eyes. “That is your next target. He’s Vashj’s right hand man; solely responsible for overseeing the machinery that empties the water from the Marshes. Take him out and we’ll have made a large foothold into re-securing the Zangarmarsh from these damned Naga.”

Ysiel set her cup of Moonberry Juice on the map of the Steamvault. Being the Leader of the Cenarion Expedition took its toll on her. Her hair wasn’t as neatly coifed and tidied as most of her kind that he came across. But maybe that was why he was fond of her. She didn’t care how she looked; the job came first. And if he was to be true to himself, he did find her quite attractive… for a Night Elf.

It wasn’t going to be an easy mission he recalled thinking to himself. He was going to need a good team, experts in the Naga’s tactics. He put word out across all of Outland and two weeks later his team was assembled. Some there for glory, others there for gold, their reasons didn’t matter; all that did matter was that Kalitresh needed to be put down.

The mission started well enough. They mowed through the Naga forces standing between them and the Warlord. Gore-splattered and tired, they finally came to the door that separated them from their intended target. As it opened they readied themselves…and that’s when it all went wrong…so horribly wrong. In a blaze of magic and hail of arrows, steel against steel, it all unraveled. Their plan- once though perfect- had gone awry. As the last of his comrades fell to the Naga forces, Ikutai started to run; what else was there to do? He was outnumbered, nearly out of ammo, and his pet and companions were all dead. As he ran, Kalitresh’s words burned into his memory:

“Run away little girl, run away!”

Thoroughly ashamed and dishonored, he never did return. Surely they must have thought him dead back at the refuge. But secretly, he swore, one day he would have Kalitresh’s head. One day, he could return to the Refuge, return to that pretty little Night Elf Commander and hold his head high. But that time was not now. No, he needed to become stronger, and so he set off to find the strength he so desired.
---

In the years that followed, Ikutai pressed on through adventures of differing magnitude. From plumbing the Halls of Karazhan, to cleansing Naxxramas of it’s abominations, to facing Yogg-Saron himself in the depths of Ulduar; it was a personal test, a trial, a method to grow stronger. Every test completed was one step closer to fulfilling his self-made promise. There was no looking back, and every time he faced a new threat, those same words taunted him, willing him to press on, if for nothing more than to spite the Warlord: “Run away little girl, run away!”
---

It had come to this. Finally, years later, he felt ready. As he moved through the Steamvault, it all felt easier; just he and his trusted pets, relying on no one but himself, risking no life but his own. If he failed, he would drag none down with him. Years of training had paid off as the Naga fell before him with ease. He was confident, but not cocky, definitely not cocky. He had learned that mistake years before. He would remain cautious. As he stood before that very same door that stood between him and Kalitresh three years ago, he offered up a silent prayer to the Loa, bowed his head in memory of his fallen comrades, and entered the chamber.

As he entered he was greeted by the very voice that had haunted him for years.

“So, it seems our little girl has returned. Come to finish the job you so miserably failed at?” the Warlord sneered as the assembly Naga laughed in rote agreement and amusement.

“I be back to take ya head, Kalitresh. And I’mma no girl, but I did grow up. Lemme show joo how grown up I am!”

The familiar sounds of battle were soon joined again, but this time to a much different outcome. Now, as luck- and perhaps the Loa- would have it, all that stood between the Warlord and Ikutai was emptiness. Kalitresh backed up as Ikutai steadied his gun.

“This is only a setback! Nothing you do here issss permanent, Troll!”

Ikutai smirked, “Den joo ain’t gonna mind what I do to joor head in a minute, mon,” and pulled the trigger.
---

Ikutai’s newest companion, a large beetle named Brachynus hissed unhappily. Having come from the deserts of Uldum, he was quite unaccustomed to so much rain and humidity. But Ikutai simply patted his head.

“It be good for ya, joo need to be washing off all dat Naga blood.” He grinned at the beetle and chuckled heartily as they entered the refuge.

Most paid them no mind as they entered, and as they came to the familiar command center of the Refuge, the Quartermaster, Fedryen Swiftspear crooked his eyebrow.

“We thought you were dead, you know” he said as Ikutai and his beetle passed.

“Ya, I’mma sorry about dat, but I’ve come to settle my business”.

As he entered the command center, all speech came to a halt. Ysiel Windsinger looked up, an expression of shock and inquisitiveness crept across her face.

“Ikutai? We all thought you had perished. What happened to you?” she asked, taking note of the bag he was holding. “And what’s in the bag?”

They sat and caught up on the events of the past three years. Ysiel had aged well; maybe he’d get the nerve to ask her out sometime. After all, he’d faced Old Gods, Naga Warlords, and a really pissed off Lich in his adventures; how hard could it be to ask out this Night Elf? He pondered doing just that as his gaze drifted out the window and settled on the pike outside, freshly adorned with Kalitresh’s head. He chuckled to himself; his reverie, albeit brief, was interrupted by Ysiel.

“Ikutai, your service to the Expedition is commendable; Exemplary, in fact. So few adventurers care for our cause. But you… you spent the past three years honing your skills just to keep a promise and fulfill a mission. Such dedication deserves a just reward. I think I know just the thing.” She put her hand in his, rose from her chair, and led him forward. As they left the Refuge, they came to the Expedition stables. As they grew closer, Ikutai noticed a lone, unsaddled Hippogryph. As they approached the creature it eyed them both uneasily. “His name is Stargazer…and he’s a handful. He’s got a stubborn streak a mile long, but I think if he’s properly trained, he would be a loyal and stalwart companion. Are you up for the challenge?” She elbowed him lightly in the ribs with a laugh.

Oh, how Ikutai loves challenges!
Attachments
Stargazer.jpg
Stargazer.jpg (278.9 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
Last edited by Ikutai on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The days are short, and are too soon over. The nights, for good or bad, can seem endless." - Neil Gaiman

Signature by the illustrious Saturo

"Steps 3 through 47: Profit!" - Steampunk of Nesingwary

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: A Sworn Promise (RP Story)

Unread post by Azunara »

...Approved.

I think that's the most creative way I've seen wiping, earning rep, and getting a mount I've seen to this date. My story for my red drake just can't top this.

Go you! *hi-five!*
Ikutai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ikutai »

Azunara wrote:...Approved.

I think that's the most creative way I've seen wiping, earning rep, and getting a mount I've seen to this date. My story for my red drake just can't top this.

Go you! *hi-five!*
Thank you very much. ^_^

I don't think I did too badly for writing it up in an hour. I'm glad you liked it! :)

"The days are short, and are too soon over. The nights, for good or bad, can seem endless." - Neil Gaiman

Signature by the illustrious Saturo

"Steps 3 through 47: Profit!" - Steampunk of Nesingwary

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Nice writing! I might add that this probably belongs in the Fan Art & Creative Writing section, but it's a really nice story regardless! Well done!

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Saturo wrote:Nice writing! I might add that this probably belongs in the Fan Art & Creative Writing section, but it's a really nice story regardless! Well done!
Eh. I think it can fit in either. Not too picky. I'd say this one would be more stories while the other one would be more art, but it really doesn't matter TOO much in the long run. :D
Kamalia
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Kael'Thas, Nesingwary

Unread post by Kamalia »

Azunara wrote:I think that's the most creative way I've seen wiping, earning rep, and getting a mount I've seen to this date.
^^^

Wonderful story!

Chibi-Jen signature done by Sat, all other sigs and avatar done by me.

Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

Sorry for the much belated read of your story Iku. I've been busy these past few days unfortunately. :(

I liked it!I wouldn't mind seeing you expand on Iku's other adventures in the futue. ;)

Tsiya
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tsiya »

Love it!

My pets - My companions

Sig by Sookie!

Thraxas

Unread post by Thraxas »

Yes, very well written indeed. I loved it 4 stars!! :)