Random Pet Challenge [v4.0]

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: Random Pet Challenge [v4.0]

Unread post by Ana »

Compared to EverQuest 2 the hyena model looks great. I would love it if my Eddie had that model! :-D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Nhee
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Nhee »

Yeah, the hyena model really could use an update. We get new cats and wolves every expansions, while other families have been all but forgotten :( In either case, nice report and congrats on your Maddexx!

And thanks once again for the feedback :) I will try and see if I can reach 40 and have my report by the end of the weekend.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:Quiv(Jozeff):
Spectral Owl
We all heard the King's decree. The Legion... has returned. I was eager to join the fight, but I knew I had little experience with these demons. So I decided to return to the only place I'd fought them before to learn as much as I could: Felwood.

My return to the Felwood was much like I remembered it: sickly and cursed. It didn't take long before I stumbled on the foul taint of fel.

Yet while I was hunting suitable demons to engage, an odd creature seemed to appear before my very eyes. Faint and almost... ghostly, it disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

The creature perked my interest, and being so near to Talonbranch Glade, I decided to inquire about it.

There, again! The creature appeared as I journeyed toward the Glade. This time it flew off high into the trees.

I asked around about the ghost owl I'd seen, but no one had heard of the creature... except Nalesette. She closed her eyes and smiled.

"It seems you have been chosen by a child of Olm." I listened intently as Nalesette recanted the stories of the old wise owl Olm, and his connection to the Cenarian Circle and the forest itself. She didn't know why I was chosen, but she urged me to not dismiss it.

So I continued back out in search of demons to track, but I found myself looking more for this creature. After much searching, I saw no more sign, so I decided to assault some weakened infernals.

To my surprise, the ghostly creature swooped down and attacked the demon with a passion I have rarely witnessed. Swiping with its spectral talons and thundering with his wings, the demon quickly succumbed to the attacked.

What a fascinating beast. It seemed like it was caught between the physical world and the spiritual realm. I could feel its fury, and its pain. I knew this creature wanted the destruction of the Legion for what it did to the beautiful forest. Perhaps this is why it chose me.

Traveling with this child of Olm by my side was an adjustment. Magnificent, yes, but I was not used to traveling with a bird. His constant wing flapping was certainly distracting, but seeing him swoop gracefully into battle was a beautiful thing. Elegance embodied!

After felling a few more demons, I decided what I lacked in experience would be made up for in my new companion, a formidable harbinger of the Legion's demise!

I returned to Stormwind, only to learn the assault on the Broken Shore had already finished and the city was in mourning. I quickly learned the news, though I was a bit relieved to hear of King Greymane's return. I knew I had no choice, I must join the fight.

I made my arrangement with the mages and was swiftly ported to the great floating city. It took me a moment to regain my composure, and I noticed my new friend was no where to be found. I searched, and soon found him hovering over the edge of the city, looking down on the broken isle swirling in the same foul taint that corrupted his forest. If a spirit could weep, I would have sworn he was. Tears of anger, tears of sadness.

I spoke with the guards in the city and was soon flying down to join the battle but the battle met us in the air! A monstrous fel bat assaulted us before we could land, but the child of Olm was having none of that! A flurry of claws and wings, the owl swept around the bat until it lost momentum and crashed into the ground. I was able to line up the kill shot to stop the demon, checking to make sure it was truly dead.

I could not control his desire for retribution against the demons. He soon had attacked one of the jailers, who simply could not land a blow on his spectral form. What glorious passion!

He seemed to toy with the stalkers, smacking them with his wings and then flying off well ahead of them.

Then I became concerned the owl had taken on more than he could handle, attacking two of the brutes that were nearby. Each would swing at my friend relentlessly, each time their sword only finding air. Wildly they swung as they become more frustrated when suddenly WHAP! The clumsy brutes had swung and hit each other, their large bodies collapsing lifelessly to the ground.

We took to a high rock and overlooked the vengeance we had rained down on the demons here today. I knew my friend was just warming up.

We have a long hunt ahead of us, but hunt the demons we shall until every cursed one draws its last breath.

For King Wrynn.

For Felwood.

For Azeroth!

I love this pet! I actually had him in my stable, but I did try to camp the actual Olm the Wise. Apparently he still has a really long spawn timer, and thanks to CRZ, Felwood still has quite a few players in it. The main concern I have with flying pets is they are constantly flapping. The smaller ravens/seagulls aren't as big of a deal, but if you are going to tame an owl or eagle, be prepare for a very active animation even while idle. That being said, these models glide beautifully through the air when moving. And Olm particularly has this spectral blue look that is beautiful. However, his unique look seems to make him even more susceptible to color tints found in various zones, as Felwood makes him look green. If you can look past that, Olm is a beautiful and graceful pet to have! I think he is worth the camp.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Stunning screenies and a good rp story :-D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Quiv, that story was great! :D I found myself enthralled the whole time. You guys have been making such wonderful reports! :D

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
GAJones4221
Realm: Malfurion

Unread post by GAJones4221 »

Hey,

So new here. But I'm willing to take on a pet challenge. I don't really do spirit beasts (Not my cup of tea I tried them but I do want loque)

Give me a challenge, If we can have non skin specific cause that would be nice I'd still do it regardless, Please don't do Quillen, I just can't stand them. I'm willing to take on any of the challenges though as long as it's not a rare spawn tame I gotta go camp to do the challenge with. But I can also share experiences with a broad spectrum of pets if any of you want to know. I've been in WoW since classic.

Throw me a challenge.

And I am BM and if needed I can list what I do have as far as the different beasties I already have.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Tyger just needs to know your name, level, and restrictions. Guidelines are on the first page but you'll want to set up your request like this:

Name: (Your name here)
Level: (Your level)
Restrictions: No spirit beasts, in your case.

It makes the requests a bit more streamlined and easier for her to quickly pick out of the pages of posts. That said, I look forward to seeing what you have!

I worked on Dansen quite a bit yesterday and got to 37! My report should be ready in the next day or two. I am so sorry for the ridiculous delay. My reports are probably going to slow down for a while since I'm playing Rhyela, plus trying to level a healer, plus work, plus school. But I still want to do them! I do already know that Dansen is fond of Sasha, so level 40 will be bittersweet.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
GAJones4221

Name: Rippir
Level:110
Exotics: Yes please no quillens or rare spirit beast camp tames(Atleast not the unskinned ones that are on big respawn timers, I'll do mana sabers if they come up)
Restrictions: No spirit beasts. Am Beast Mastery so most others will work. (If you wanna roll rares included If it comes I'll tell you if I have it but I've got like 15 rare models it would take me 20 minutes looking up different sins to remember some of my wind serpents)
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

GAJones4221 wrote:Hey,

So new here. But I'm willing to take on a pet challenge. I don't really do spirit beasts (Not my cup of tea I tried them but I do want loque)

Give me a challenge, If we can have non skin specific cause that would be nice I'd still do it regardless, Please don't do Quillen, I just can't stand them. I'm willing to take on any of the challenges though as long as it's not a rare spawn tame I gotta go camp to do the challenge with. But I can also share experiences with a broad spectrum of pets if any of you want to know. I've been in WoW since classic.

Throw me a challenge.

And I am BM and if needed I can list what I do have as far as the different beasties I already have.
Rhyela sort of beat me to this, but the rules/guidelines and directions are all posted on the front page. If you could please follow them, then I will give you a roll. Given your restrictions you're laying out, I'm not entirely sure you understand the concept of how these work so it would be a good idea to go ahead and give the first post and a few of the good challenges (especially a lot of the recent ones) a read through just to get a feel for how things work. :)

I don't give rolls without the proper roll request format, sorry.

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
GAJones4221

TygerDarkstorm wrote:

Throw me a challenge.

Rhyela sort of beat me to this, but the rules/guidelines and directions are all posted on the front page. If you could please follow them, then I will give you a roll. Given your restrictions you're laying out, I'm not entirely sure you understand the concept of how these work so it would be a good idea to go ahead and give the first post and a few of the good challenges (especially a lot of the recent ones) a read through just to get a feel for how things work. :)

I redid it on the above post, I can sort through my rares but that would take me a good bit of time. I thought i re did it in the correct format atleast.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

GAJones4221 wrote:
TygerDarkstorm wrote:

Throw me a challenge.

I redid it on the above post, I can sort through my rares but that would take me a good bit of time. I thought i re did it in the correct format atleast.
Sorry, I didn't see your post with the roll format before I made my post. You don't need to list all your rares. Like I said, the directions are in the first post. :) And for the exotics part, it's just a simple yes or no. All that other stuff you put is technically restrictions. The more restrictions placed on these, the less "random" they are. Anything rolled that has a long timer/hard camp is always given a secondary roll of an easier option.

GAJones4221(Rippir):
White Chimaera

[/center]
Nefretiti
Realm: Durotan US,Saurfang, Staghelm

Unread post by Nefretiti »

I feel I must appologize for the delay in posting about the raptor.
I've sort of lost my enthusiasm for WoW right now and I have yet to reactivate my accounts, I will at some point most likely but I still feel abit bad about the unfinished report.
Don't be afraid to go for your dreams.
Reach for the moon and if you miss it reach out and grab a star.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

No worries at all Nef. :) I'm sure we all go through those moments of getting disinterested with the game and not wanting to play.

[/center]
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

At long last, here is my report for the Red Raptor!

I was pretty happy about this roll, actually. Red is my favorite color of these raptors. I actually keep getting lucky with the colors of each roll! The only problem is that traditionally, I've had a hard time bonding with raptors, or at least the old ones. I think it's because of all the jewelry. Anyway, I decided to grab a Highland Lashtail from the Wetlands. Thankfully, I already had gotten the closest FP for my previous spider challenge tame, so getting there was easy. I tamed the first raptor I saw. (While I was there, I also grabbed the hatchling pet from the nest in the cave.) The name Sasha came to me right after I tamed her, so to keep with my naming theme, I went with it!

(It appears my pictures are a little out of order, so I'm going to jump around.) I like the raptor combat animations. They're appropriate and not too over-the-top. I really like how this "scratchy" (for lack of a better word) picture came out. She looks pretty vicious if you ask me. :)

She looks a little excited in this one!

The model is quite pretty. Some aspects of it do look a little dated, like the teeth, spikes and feathers, but I think the skin texture looks really good, even this long after the game came out. And I really like the color combo of teal on blood-red. It's beautiful!

We took a swim in the canals in Stormwind. Their swimming animation is kinda cute, but nothing really creative. It almost looks like a slow-mo run.

On our last day together (*sniff*), we ran some dungeons. We were in Maraudon, and most of the group left after Theradras. It was just me, Sasha, and a healer. We decided to take on Rotgrip, and Sasha tanked. She did very well despite being in Ferocity spec. My fault for forgetting to switch her to Tenacity. :lol: I didn't get a pic of the fight, but she seemed quite proud nonetheless. I was proud of her, too.

Then, in the very next dungeon, the tank just up and dropped out of nowhere and without warning, so I switched Sasha to Tenacity, and she tanked very well! I think maybe she was wanting to prove how awesome she is, knowing level 40 was fast approaching. She was able to hold threat and take a decent amount of damage. I was so proud of her in there, I kept shedding /praise on her. <3

Alas, level 40 did come, and I had to put her in my stable. I really didn't want to, though. We bonded almost immediately after I tamed her. I think it helped that I made her a "her" rather than a "he", because then I felt like the jewelry made more sense(?). All my previous raptors were male. There's nothing bad I can say about her. She fights well, she sounds cool, she looks cooler when she fights, and she always seemed to have a little bit of a toothy smile, like she genuinely enjoyed traveling with Dansen. I hated putting her away. :cry:

Here's one of our last pictures together. Dansen is appropriately shedding big weepy tears. (I didn't notice 'til just now, but it even kinda looks like she's looking down at him, and not smiling for once. :()

Signing off, Dansen and his best friend Sasha. :( :( :(

And now, time for my next challenge.

I will say ahead of time that these will probably take longer from here on out, but I do still intend to keep doing them. I'm having fun with it, and it gives me a break from leveling on my main server. It's fun to not really care about leveling to x level in y days, and I'm getting to try out some different pets that maybe wouldn't work on Rhyela. :3

Name: Dansen
Level: 40
Exotics: Yes
Restrictions: 31-40, please! :)
Attachments
Sasha 1.jpg
Sasha 1.jpg (163.05 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
Sasha 3.jpg
Sasha 3.jpg (190.2 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
Sasha 4.jpg
Sasha 4.jpg (155.97 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
Sasha 5.jpg
Sasha 5.jpg (238.64 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
Sasha 6.jpg
Sasha 6.jpg (70.92 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
Sasha 7.jpg
Sasha 7.jpg (89.39 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
Sasha 8.jpg
Sasha 8.jpg (95.89 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
Sasha 9.jpg
Sasha 9.jpg (218.03 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
Sasha 10.jpg
Sasha 10.jpg (152.19 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
WoWScrnShot_091016_004313.jpg
WoWScrnShot_091016_004313.jpg (204.96 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
Last edited by Rhyela on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Zebab

Unread post by Zebab »

Name: Zebabaru
Level: 110
Exotics: No
Restrictions: No red pets please

Need a new pet for my hunter. All of my pets are exotic and BM is so boring its unplayable at the moment so I'm gonna try some survival.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Rhyela wrote: She looks a little excited in this one!

This pre-pounce pose reminded me strongly of a raptor scene in Jurassic Park. Very nice shot!
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Aww Dansend adventure with his raptor is just amazing to read. Such a lovely feeling when you get proud of your pet :-D

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

I think I want to do one final pet for now. Got an interesting idea that isn't a full on RP story report like my last two.

Name: Rendir
Level: 100
Exotic: Any type is fine
Restrictions: Single head pls
Nhee
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Nhee »

Reading about Dansen and Sasha totally made me wanna go out and tame a raptor myself :D She is so cute!

I finally reached 40! This took way longer than I thought it would, and it will probably just get longer from here. The urge to slap on a bunch of heirlooms is strong. :P
Either way, here is

My report on the Yellow and White Moth, which I used from level 30 to 40

The last time I used a moth was back in Wotlk, when my old dwarf hunter took one for a spin. I think it lasted for about 10 minutes before I released it and decided that moths just wasn't for me.
But since the spirit of this challenge is all about trying pets you otherwise wouldn't have given the time of the day, I was still excited for this roll. And so Nhee went to Hillsbrad for the second time, in order to seek out Duskwing. I went there at 1am, and luckily found him up and alive, hanging about Purgation Isle.
Apologies for the crap screenshot of the tame. I would have cancelled it and gotten some better shots, but a warlock was lurking around nearby and I didn't want to risk anything.

I had planned to quest in Southern Stranglethorn, but figured I'd go to Hinterlands instead, since I was already in the area. I've always liked Hinterlands, but the quest layout is very strange. Even after Cataclysm it feels empty, like they didn't really know what to do with it. At least they didn't give it the Thousand Needles treatment.
After taking the path from Hillsbrad, and nearly getting killed by the two level 40 gryphons stationed there, I set out to quest and get a better look at my moth.
Continuing the Stormlight theme, I named him Lopen.

As you can see, he's not exactly the flashiest pet, especially when compared to other moths like Thicket. He still looks nice though. Pets that have a mix of two different textures are really hit and miss for me, but it definitely works here. The brownish gray spots on his wings work well with the warm tones of the body, and the white tufts of hair makes it look like he's rocking an Einstein style mane. Worth mentioning as well are his bright blue eyes, and faint trail of dust emitting from his wings. The model shows its age a bit, but I didn't really mind.
However, as nice as the model and coloration is, it quickly became apparent to me why I had been so quick to abandon moths on my old dwarf – their animations are very disappointing and boring. When idle they flutter in place, and have no special idle animations. The right front leg sometimes clips into the head, and while it isn't a very egregious problem, it still got on my nerves and ruined a couple screenshots.

The run animation is similar to the idle animation. For a while I thought it was actually just a sped up idle, but on closer inspection I could see that there were a few differences.
The swim animation however, is just a slowed down run. To be fair, I really can't imagine how they would make a moth swim otherwise, so that gets a pass.

As for attack animations, both were variations of him bashing enemies with his horn. Though to be honest, from a distance it looked more like he was fluttering mobs to death.
In one of the attacks, his face would kind of deform and stretch out. It was rather disturbing, and like the idle clipping issue, a “once you've seen it you cannot unsee” kind of situation.

It was hard to get a screenshot of it happening, but if you compare his face to the other screenshots, you'll see that it's much longer here, and that the mandible sort of droops down.

Well, Hinterlands came and went, and we moved up to Western Plaguelands, where I found myself very annoyed with the Forsaken and their hi-jinks. I really dislike how Cataclysm has cast them as being completely insane and borderline worse than the Lich King, but none of that is relevant to Lopen the moth, so we'll save that rant for another day.
On a somewhat related note, the ending to the Andorhal quest gave me a major case of the feels. Koltira and Thassarian just can't seem to catch a break.

Alright, I will be completely honest. I did not care for this pet at all. The lackluster animations, the nondescript sounds and unemotive face, it just lead to a pet that was kind of just "there". I will normally do anything to save my pets from dying, but I found myself using Lopen as a distraction several times if I overpulled. I hate to be so negative, and I really tried to appreciate my moth, but it did just not click. So as Nhee headed back to Orgimmar to get her next level of riding, Lopen took up permanent residence in the Orgimmar stables, where he is free to flutter around to his heart's content.

Hopefully the next pet will fare better. In the meantime..

She's grown so much.

Name: Nhee
Level: 40
Exotic: No
Restrictions: No moths please :lol:

Oh yeah, and I've went and made another hunter. Can I sign him up now as well, or can I only get 1 pet at a time?

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Nhee wrote:... it looked more like he was fluttering mobs to death.
Thats how it will always be to me lol