Sambas Story EDIT: What are your crazy tames?

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage - A, Thrall - H

Sambas Story EDIT: What are your crazy tames?

Unread post by Kormai »

EDIT: What are the craziest, most noob moments any of you has had during a tame, or on the way there?

:oops: So my ALMOST horrifail Sambas story:

I was doing my random pet challenge on Kari and I'd just come from outlands. My hearth was on CD so I decided to fly to Twilight Highlands to test my new Core Hound. I paused halfway to do a heroic with a guildie and when we finished I continued on my way. I got to TH and thought: "Oh why not? I'm right here, I'll check if Sambas is up." :roll: Of course this was the wrong hunter; I wanted Sambas on Kormai. Right before I got to the most southern spawn point I thought to myself: "This is going to be like that time you saw Loque on Kormai and wanted him for Kari...You found him but didn't get Kari there fast enough and he was gone. Where is Kormai right now? She's in Uldum...he is so gonna be there." :?

Of course since I'm posting this, you already know what happened! Sure enough Sambas was there, just walking around the southern spawn point; no one else in sight. I started swearing to my friend on Real ID while signing out. :o I signed on to Kormai and she was in the middle of Uldum...well at least I had my hearth. I hearthed to Org, flew like a mad woman to the portals and clickity-click clicked. :? "WHAT? The load screen for Deepholm!? OMG are you serious?" I loaded into Deepholm, ran around to the other side to get back to Org, and clickity-click clicked the portal again... :x "Therazane!? What is this!??" Clicked the portal behind me and kept running around the chamber until I got to the ACTUAL portal back to Org and clicked it. Meanwhile my Real ID friend saw that I'd done that and was laughing hysterically. :lol: Also, he reminded me that Sambas was most definitely not going to be there. I agreed with him. I also kept trying to hit 'r' to talk to him but it wasn't working and my scattered brain couldn't figure out why, so I asked and he calmly said "That's because I never responded to you." :oops: *facepalm*

So I was back in Org, and I finally clicked the right portal. I was inside the building in TH and I tried to mount up... :x Can't mount in here. I also realized at this point: I still have Kormai's Pet Challenge rhino out and reminded myself that I needed to dismiss before I could try to tame. So I finally got in the air, on my way to Sambas, sure that he was gone. I remembered at this point to check that I had an empty slot...I did. I flew over and didn't see a red dot on my minimap, but I remembered my beast tracking was off because OMG there he was! :shock: Still walking around with no one in sight. I got too close and aggroed him so I flew back up, moved away, dismounted and hit tame. It didn't work! And omg my rhino was attacking! :o *Passive* *Dismiss pet* *Tame* *Frantically hit print screen*
Zomg taming!
Zomg taming!
Sambas2.jpg (413.78 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
And then his name turned blue, he walked to my side and I sat and stared wondering how on Azeroth he was still there. :!: :?: After two weeks of camping with intense competition from Horde and Alliance I found him at 10:10 pm server time on a whim. Every time I was out camping for hours and hours there were at least 4 Alliance hunters camping as well and a friend had told me they were offering like 2-4k gold for him. There were also usually 2-3 Horde hunters camping but no one ever speaks in general on Horde so no gold offered on our side.
Just finished taming o.O
Just finished taming o.O
Sambas3.jpg (411.86 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
I'm still amazed. Pics or it didn't happen! Glad I took pics. Also, I don't usually have this much trouble with taming rares. :shock:
He has a name: Allegory...get it!????
He has a name: Allegory...get it!????
Sambas6.jpg (186 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
Anyways, I'm so glad Allegory is home! The only cata rare I don't have yet is Madexx, and I'm still not entirely sure that I want him. *takes a deep breath* I still can't believe he was there! :D :headbang: *jumps for joy*
Last edited by Kormai on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thrall | Kormai - 100 Blood Elf Hunter | Kari - 100 Undead Hunter | Sintharia - 100 Blood Elf Warlock | Rhoxi - 100 Goblin Mage
Stormrage | Kormai - 100 Draenei Hunter | Kari - 6 Worgen Hunter
...and so many other alts!
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: My Sambas Story

Unread post by Kalliope »

Can't complain about a successful tame, right? ;) Grats on your good fortune! Just think, your next tame should be flawless, since you had pretty much everything go wrong on this one. xD

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

And here I thought that the little bit of Plato that I had to learn in high school would never be useful to me... :lol:
You should take Allegory on a tour of that cave!

Well, that was a good laugh! Grats on your tame gone so horribly wrong, that it managed to turn out right after all. I always like these kinds of stories behind a tame; even if Sambas' unique skin was stuck on some ordinary lions in The Barrens tomorrow, Allegory would still be a very special and memorable cat to you.

Finally, I couldn't help but imagine being some dragon watching this from the sky with some incredulity: Sambas being punted by some goofy rhino, while a hysterical blood elf is pulling her hair out and screaming at said rhino.

Oh, and maybe if you move Karoma a little to the right in your signature, you could stick Sambas in the background between said Karoma and Terrorpene. Or, that may be overcrowding a bit much.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Scary....your hunter looks identical to mine(Tigris). XD But grats!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

No kidding, Kalliope! And thank you, I can't think of much else that could have gone wrong and the tame still be successful. Feel free to start listing ideas. ;)

Plato, Cialbi? Unless the whole Robot Chicken/Chronicles of Narnia "Jesus Allegory Lion" came from Plato, I don't quite know what you mean :? . Then again I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. As for the dragon thing, I will pretend it was Korialstrasz because he would be just the type of dragon to be observing the younger races in things like taming rare wild beasts. And getting a kick out of my clumsiness.

Also, I'll check out the sig in PS tomorrow and see how that looks :D.

That is because they are purdy, Jessi (or should we still call you Taluwen?). And thanks :)

Thrall | Kormai - 100 Blood Elf Hunter | Kari - 100 Undead Hunter | Sintharia - 100 Blood Elf Warlock | Rhoxi - 100 Goblin Mage
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kormai wrote: That is because they are purdy, Jessi (or should we still call you Taluwen?). And thanks :)
They are! And you can call me whatever suits you....Jessi, Talu, Jet, whatever.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

You could have accidentally closed WoW or logged into the wrong character! xD

(I have never done either of these things while in a hurry.....sure....)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Oh, oops! I thought of 'Allegory of the Cave'. But, since it has to do with illusions, confusing journeys, and, well, caves*, I somehow concluded that the name had to do with your mad dash throughout Deepholm and taking the wrong portals.

The only connection I see between my guess and your actual inspiration is that they both involve an allegory. :P

*If anyone actually understands Platonism, it is probably pretty evident that I don't have a very good grasp on the subject. Sorry if I completely butchered the meaning; I didn't intend to make Plato turn over in his grave!
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

Hmmmm, Taluwen only seems right since it's your sig.

*hugs Kalli* yes indeed I could have done those! D:

Cialbi: Lol, don't worry I never read Plato! And I can't blame you for a good guess. Kormai's pets all have joke names, play on words, or allegories! So when I told my former roommates about Sambas and him looking like Aslan they referenced Robot Chicken and it just fit. It was name him either Allegory or Heyzeus, and I thought that the latter would give too much.

Teevo
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune

Unread post by Teevo »

I too have taken the Deepholm portal instead of Twilight Highlands by mistake once before, haha. Glad you got him.

Special thanks to Pooksie for my Sig!

Bodhran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alexstrasza

Unread post by Bodhran »

Awesomely HUGH Uber gratz!

ImageImage
ImageImage

Hunter:
-Hunters now earn Valor Points when they are effectively Vote Kicked from a Dungeon Finder group.
-Ettin’s Grip (new talent) allows the hunter to equip two ranged weapons simultaneously.

Dream skins to tame:
Fandral Staghelm Fire Cat Form. Kor'kron War/Veteran/Warbringer of the Horde PVP wolf mount. Xuen/Litter of Xuen! Legion Wolf Boss.
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kormai »

Thanks guys! He will always be my special lion. :D

So I gotta ask: What are the craziest, most noob moments any of you has had during a tame, or on the way there?

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kormai wrote:Thanks guys! He will always be my special lion. :D

So I gotta ask: What are the craziest, most noob moments any of you has had during a tame, or on the way there?
mine.....would have to be Terrorpene. I was napping while waiting for him and suddenly at top volume, NPCScan blared at me. I flew out of bed, tripping a little in my sleepy daze and I couldn't find the tame button for a good 5 minutes....then I found it....tried to tame but nothing happened. OH! My corehound....Bronx....probably helps if I dismiss him....and for a few minutes, I couldnt figure out how. so then when I did, I tried again. XD This was on Jessibelle.

EDIT: I have another one....from Taluwen's very first spirit beast, Loque'nahak.
After searching 3 days(due to jackasses killing Loque from under me), NPCScan blares at me and says Loque is up. I drop down and hit tame. Suddenly one of the gorillas charges at me, interrupting the tame. I FD and he goes away. I get up and try again and the same thing happened so I FDed again. I whispered a DK that was helping me look to come help get this big monkey off my back. All the while, I'm staring at Loque just walking over my body....the DK also only had 150% flying......rofl....and was on the other side of the basin. XD The DK did finally make it but it felt like he took FOREVER to get there. XD and I was able to tame my beast.
Last edited by Lisaara on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LisaaraPokefarm

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

My Loque'nahak tame is one I still remember clearly.

I didn't have epic flying, so rather than compete in a losing race to fly around the spawn points, I hunkered down with the two gorilla spots. On the fourth day, I cast Eagle Eye at the western one...and SilverDragon went crazy! Pulse pounding in my ears, I canceled the channel and rushed to him. So excited was I, and so terrified that something would happen to him at the last second, that the moment I saw him I literally tunnel-visioned...I could see little else but that runed leopard pacing amongst the gorillas.

Little surprise, then, that I didn't see the Hardknuckle Forager pathing near me...wandering right into my trap as I tagged Loque. Cursing under my breath, adrenaline racing, I feigned and prayed for nobody to find him in the next thirty seconds. After what felt like an eternity my trap refreshed, and the tame for Rakesh went off without further mishap.

I am still mildly resentful of those gorillas.

---

More recently, Sambas. After missing a tame by mere seconds roughly 24 hours before, I dragged myself out of bed to log into my hunter camped at a spawn point. When NPCScan blared I nearly fell out of my chair, the shock compounded by a very angry Sambas chewing on my low-hovering hunter! I smash my tag-shot as I dismount, panicking as he evades. He promptly reaggros, and fjaljfdlajdfal WHY IS MY TAME NOT WORKING OH GOD HE'S LOSING HEALTH--oh hello Laima. I dismiss my Jadefang in the midst of her valiant defense, and shakily finish taming Altan.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: Sambas Story EDIT: What are your crazy tames?

Unread post by Kormai »

Oh the tunnel vision! Gotta *not* love it. And I'm sure every hunter has at least once forgotten to dismiss their current pet to tame the new one and wonders why it won't work. I know I've done that more than once and try to remember when camping for a rare to not have a pet out, lest that happen. Then again it's always the completely unexpected "Surprise!" from NPC scan/SilverDragon that makes me the most scatter brain. Especially when I can't just plop down and tame it.

Oh, of course, for me there is the time I was, stupidly, checking Sholazar on Kormai for Loque and Kari was in Grizzly Hills. I found Loque, logged to Kari and took the flight path...I don't know why I didn't fly myself, I guess at the time I thought it would be faster. But it definitely wasn't. When I got there he was gone; no trace :( But I got him a few weeks later signing in at one of the gorilla spawn points and he was there, with a DK protecting him trying to get someone to tame him. I asked the DK after I'd tamed him (other faction) if he'd found anyone and he said he'd gotten no responce and was happy I got him.

Megrarthon
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Megrarthon »

Yay, grats! All the best tames have those kinds of stories. Brilliant naming choice by the way!
Foru21dr
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Tanaris (Alliance) Nessingwary (Horde)

Unread post by Foru21dr »

My favorite/crazy tame was for a friend and the King. My friend who had a hunter that just leveled 75 saw my King Krush that I had just tamed a couple of days ago. She wanted him, and I gave her all the info I could. I even took her to the Basin so that she could at least have the fp there. We ended up playing together for a while and called it a night. The next day I decided I was going to try and get him for her. I knew that my friend was not going to be playing for a couple of days, and I hoped that I could surprise her with him. I signed on to her account and put her character back in the basin. I checked periodically all day looking to see if I could spot him, but he did not show. When I signed in early the next morning, (4:30am) He was there in the north part of the basin waiting. NPCScan blared, silver dragon popped, and my heart started racing. I checked to see if there was anyone else in the basin with me with a /who and there was a level 76 druid, but that was it. I knew this was going to be a little more tricky to get him as her character was only level 75.

So I drop down, and get out her trusty corehound to cast ancient hystaria for the haste. I then dismissed him and hit tame... Nothing.... hit tame again... nothing. I'm going WTH... Then I see in the middle of the screen, you have to many pets. I'm like why as I had checked stable slots before I started my search... /facepalm.. Her character is level 75.. only 4 slots available.... Damn. So I had to leave Krush and fly to the stable master to stable a pet and free a slot. My ancient hysteria was on cooldown, and I worried that Krush would be gone. Was I so glad to see him when I got back. I then waited till the buff became available again (was a long 8 minutes) I went on ahead and cleared out all mobs around him so that there would not be any unexpected attacks. When the cooldown finished, I get close to him again, activates ancient hysteria, dismisses her corehound, and started the tame. The count goes down to 0... when when Krush hit her with fear. Oh man, I was so stunned to see that I did not get him and he is draining her life away. As I come out of the fear my heath was so low I had to give up and feign death. I get up again and with dread realize I needed to wait again for the buff to reset. All of a sudden I see a green cloud surround me and my health starts rising quickly. Then in horror watches as Krush and a druid (level 76) go into battle. The battle was intense as both of their health was going down. Krush got down to under 1k when he fears the druid and finishes him off. Because of that I decide I can't wait for the cooldown and run up to start the tame. Well without the haste, Krush fears me and easily kills me. I rush back to my body fearing that the druid got back and killed, but I see Krush is there still when I resurrect. I did notice too, that the Buff was gone because of my death. The druid was not there, but I did not see his corpse. I rush again to try and do the tame using the corehound, and again he fears me just as the timer hits 0 and wham, I'm dead. I rush back again and see the buff is off again, but the cooldown for ancient hysteria is at 3 minutes. Then it happens, the druid is back and he starts the battle up again. The fight was so close, but Krush was again victorious. Cooldown had finished, so I tried for the 4th time to tame. I pop ancient hysteria, and start the tame. countdown drops to 0... no fear casted and a flash of yellow light. Yay he's now her pet. Druid had come back and was standing by watching, flashes a heal on on me, congratulates me and leaves. He was at least nice enough to wait to see if I would tame instead of attacking and aggroing him off me.

I sent my friends character back to the Grizzy Hills where she had left her, but had Krush out so that when she first signs on, she will seen him next to her. She squealed with delight in having him, and I had so much fun with the challenging tame.
Nesingwary Petopians - Bitka, Quïll Xendral, Ximbol, Saehi, and Tryxter
Nesingwary Petopian Alliance - Sorree and Xylda

http://dragcave.net/user/foru21dr My Cave
Nimae
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Boulderfist

Unread post by Nimae »

Great story, Kormai! I'm glad you got your Sambas--I've done my fair share of noob things, too...I'll share one story that still makes me cringe today:

When _NPCScan first came out (Spring 2009, I think?), I decided it'd be great to use it for finding Old Cliff Jumper. I was excited, as button-mashing macros while searching for other rares wore me out. I spent 2 days, on and off, searching for OCJ. Then, finally and quite unexpectedly, HOWLINGDRUMSZOMG! I'll be honest, I hadn't tried out the "Test Sound" alert, so it was the first time I ever heard the alarm. I flew off my chair in surprise. I rushed back to my laptop, clicked the shiny golden button, and there he was in all his glory! With my heart racing, I suddenly thought "OMG EVERYONE WILL GET HIM BEFORE ME!"...even though the zone was barren. Mind you, Nimae was level 80. But I panicked. I then had a brilliant idea: "AHA! I'll just tag him with my Arcane Shot, then he's all mine!".

BOOM!

...I knew he was a goner before the bullet ever hit him. I threw my hands in the air as soon as I hit my hotkey and squealed "NOOO!". Yep. One-shot the poor bugger. I was so embarrassed that I looted and skinned him before anyone could stumble across the corpse.

I came back 8 hours later and, much wiser, only hit "Tame Beast". Everything went much smoother the second time! I named him Shrapnel. :lol: Now, whenever taming lower lvl beasts, I don't even bother with tagging. Lesson learned. And I'm far more collected whenever _NPCScan blares at me. :D

Thanks to Xakaal, Kurenio, Vephriel, Serenith, Sookie, Rongar, & Mossed for the amazing sigs (rotating), and to Serenith & Sookie for the (rotating) avatars!
Dragon Cave: My Scroll! ••• Ghosts of Christmas Past Lineage Project

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

I have quite a few that were doozies, and I'd go with my King Krush tame, but that one would be way too long to post, so I'm gonna go with my own Sambas tame.

It was back on the day before New Year's Eve and something inside kept nagging at me to go look for Sambas. With his map on Wowhead up, I started from Dragonmaw Port and swung out to his rightmost spawnpoint to see nothing. Okay, swing to the leftmost spawnpoint, nothing. There was a second spawnpoint on that side, so I went up to check that one and flew past somebody hovering on a red dragon.

Since I don't use NPC_Scan or SilverDragon, I've developed a habit of mousing over the minimap to read the names of the dots, and as I closed in on that spawnpoint, I saw a solitary red dot. Curious, I moused over it, my heart almost stopping when it read 'Sambas' but part of me didn't want to believe it, thinking that it's probably a pet belonging to an Alliance-side hunter since their pets always show up as red blips. Even so, I hit my target macro... and proceeded to freak out when his picture popped up on the top of my screen, and he was untouched, silver dragon border and everything.

But... where the heck IS HE?!

Then, he came sauntering out from behind some rocks and trees without a care in the world - and I'm the only hunter there. I dropped down, managed to remember to place a freeze trap, but I'd forgotten to tag him, but the tame went off without a hitch and I had me a spiffy fluffy lion. I fed him, put him up, and proceeded to hearth back to Uldum... only to die. ...What? Did my hearthstone gank me?! Wait... RAMKAHEN'S ON /FIRE/?! WTF?!

Oh, it's Deathwing. Hi, Deathwing, thanks for killing me! O_o; It was the first time he'd killed me, so I'd gotten the achievement, but when I'd died, the game had lagged so it didn't pop up right away, which is why I was so confused. But it was a good if not messed up morning that day. Sambas and the 'Stood in the Fire' achievement within a short span of time of each other. Sambas ended up being named Sekani, which is Egyptian for 'to laugh'.
Tydarus
Realm: Ghostlands

Unread post by Tydarus »

I laughed at your last screenshot, with your title "the Patient" over your "Neurotic" guild name... :D

Not terribly crazy, but I logged out over Arcturis' spawn point the other night and lo and behold, he was there when I logged in the next morning. Rather than do the smart thing and actually fly down and land, I dismounted in midair, thankfully not high enough to kill myself though! I laid down a trap since I wasn't sure what he would hit me with, and of course he promptly walked out of range of my tame. I had to run forward a few steps, looking frantically on my screen for distracting shot to tag him (I still don't think I have it on my action bars...) and ended up hitting arcane instead out of desperation. Then I see him start to cast 'Pounce'. Uh oh. I backed up just enough for him to land right on my trap and a couple seconds later I had my glowbear!

Grats on Sambas!
Finick from the Petopians Guild

Tydarus' Stables