Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 11: Carrion Birds!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 11: Carrion Birds!

Unread post by Wassa »

Former threads:
Moths - Warp Stalkers - Crocolisks - Monkeys - Wolves - Core Hounds - Wasps - Dragonhawks - Turtles - Boars

Random pet family appreciation thread is where I roll a random pet family every week for everyone to share their pictures, their stories, their love for that pet family. Please no hate or rants. This is an appreciation thread. If you dislike the family, don't post! Hopefully with some love we can get some hunters to try out new pets they never would have thought to tame before.

Our 11th family is the scavenging carrion bird family!

Image from WoW TCG.

Carrion bird facts

~Carrion birds have been tameable since Vanilla WoW.

~Carrion birds have three tameable models and 14 different skin colors.

~Carrion birds have five rare members: Emberwing, Lord Condar, Spiteflayer (also unique skinned), Vultros, and Zaricotl (also unique skinned).

~Other than Spiteflayer and Zaricotl, carrion birds have two other unique skinned named members. These two are the mates Torgos and Trachela.

~Carrion birds and birds of prey like to interchange members of their families. Formerly Akkarai Hatchling, Brood of Anzu, Daggercap Hawk, Dire Raven, and Fjord Crow where all members of the carrion bird family. Carrion Bird, despite its name, was first tameable as a bird of prey before fixed. Diseased Vultures are still bugged and tame as birds of prey.

~Back in Wrath, carrion birds were tamed by 0.4% of level 80 hunters. Placing them near the bottom at number 19 on the list, tied with hyenas, silithids, and tallstriders. (Source)

~Back in Wrath, carrionbirdskinoutlandwhite was the most tamed skin at 22.2%. Carrionbirdskinbrown was the least tamed skin at 1.4%. (Source)

~Carrion birds previously had the ability Screech, which did damage to the target and had an aoe melee attack lowering effect. This was great for aoe farming before thunderstomp was basic for all tenacity pets. Carrion birds shared this ability with bats and owls (now known as birds of prey).

~Oddly, carrion birds in WoW cannot have the talented ability Carrion Feeder since they are a ferocity, not cunning. Only the Diseased Vultures which are mislabeled as a bird of prey can use this ability.

~Blue Mini Jouster and Gold Mini Jouster are two carrion bird minipets with a "rider" on their back.

~Angered Arakkoa Protectors can be tamed with their blue mist as a permanent appearance buff. These are the only ghostly carrion birds as well.

~Both Vultros and Zaricotl before Cataclysm where much higher level than the area they spawned in and elites, making them well known killers of players questing in their zones.

~Three carrion birds had unique traits in Vanilla WoW.
Spiteflayer had 1.2 attack speed.
Fire Roc had 115 fire resist.
Searing Roc had 240 fire resist.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 11: Carrion Birds!

Unread post by Wassa »

I have a long history with the carrion bird family. Back in Vanilla my other pet, besides Hahadori, was a carrion bird named Sakki which means "thirst for blood" in Japanese. He was originally the blue skin.

Look at that old gear! That's me shortly after hitting level 60.

Sakki was a Dread Ripper from Desolace that I happened to tame at level 40 and I bonded with. He was my PvP pet. I got to Legionnaire ranking with him by my side. Sakki had a huge part in my role-playing. He was always trying to eat my undead friends! He did end up stealing one of their arms or a leg at times.

During BC I ended up losing that bond and went on to tame an owl as my other token bird. Later on in Wrath with the gaining extra stable slots I went on a journey to retame Sakki. His original old world blue skin just didn't work anymore. I ended up trying a ton of other skins, including the Akkarai Hatchling which was an owl that was tameable as a carrion bird, but I just couldn't find the right match. Then Cataclysm came and gave us a previously untameable skin I had been eyeing since BC: carrionbirdskinoutlandblue.

This is Sakki's new look and it is perfect. It's hard to tell from the screenshot but he's the ghostly Angered Arakkoa Protector with the blue mist buff. After so many transformations it's only right that he would be a little worse for the wear and errr... dead. Plus he also grew an extra head, but he was released into Outlands for a long while. Still, despite after all Sakki went through he is still just as loyal to Wassa as he was back in Vanilla, and still hungers for my undead friends.

Ptaysanwee has also had a long history with a carrion bird. In the picture above is Wuyi, a Miwok name meaning "soaring turkey vulture." Before I made Ptay, I planned a Taunka hunter with a Northrend pet theme. The first pet I thought of was the white condor. However, back then the lowest level white condor I could get was level 70, and I lost interest with Ptay shortly after I created her.

Thankfully with Cataclysm a much lower level carrion bird that was previously the red old world skin was changed to the white condor skin. With Lord Condar (and Duskstalker that I will talk about once I roll the cat family) my interest in this hunter's theme stable came back. I see Wuyi as a protector of Ptay. Although I might not have him out with me, I imagine him soaring high in the sky keeping an eye on her at all times. If he is nearby Ptay he will drape his large wings around her.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Carrion birds are another one of those families that I really love the looks of (they have a gorgeous swim <3) but rarely ever keep around on my hunters. I think I get too stuck in a mindset of buffs/debuffs I actually need and they usually don't fit the bill for that. However I am planning to get the brown one on my tauren hunter.

My favorite carrion bird that I've had was the blue old world model one named Maximillian. The hunter who owned him doesn't exist anymore, but he was pretty awesome and even did decently at holding AoE aggro.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Uhh another one of my favorites :D

Eventhough i love the carrion birds it took me quite a while to bond with one on Tårnfalk. But the rare Zaricotl just did the trick.

He was renamed Corbyn (name from the 5th element) and i just love him to bits. He got tons of personality and soo fits the char he is named after. Tons of charm, popular with the ladies and very deadly when provoked :D (not sure if he can drive a cab though.. .. must be tested later on :lol: )

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Eeeeeee, i dont really have any carrion birds anymore but i still remember when i was given the two headed red vulture as a random pet challene. God i mis Kenneth. He was born from royalty i swear. He was the NPC Emberwing (though i coulda grabbed any old one from southern tanaris or outlands i know he was the one, so i went to tanaris and he was up!).

I warmed up to him pretty quickly and while he seemed stubborn to do anything, and would let me take all the beatings to the face rather then get his feathers dirty (such a prince yeesh) i loved him all the same <3 I was looking up names for him which is how i found Kenneth and it apparently according to the baby name sight i found it on, meant 'born of fire' which is why i gave it to him, with his wings burning with sparks and all as a wild NPC.

The name itself tho has a air to it that just oozes respect and the white feather collars he has reminded me of the collars nobles wore in the olden days as a status symbol. It just, everything about him, his personality, the name, his looks, the fact i picked out the rarespawn over a common version just to make it even more special to me, it all just worked so well..

I dont remember anymore if i still have him on the hunter i tamed him on, i think i do tho.. dunno. But i'll definitely be re-taming him on a character that would look good with him at his/her side ^^

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I'm enjoying my human hunter's brown condor, Zonda. It's a really good match.

I still would like to see tameable ravens!
Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

I just retamed Gargoyle, my white Vulture. His wild counterpart is Dreadtalon who soars above the skies of Dragonblight. I love that he's big, beautiful, and very imposing looking. The name Gargoyle just stuck as soon as I tamed him the first time. He just looks like a gargoyle. I also love that he is a ferocity bird that I can use in my SV spec if all the raid buffs are covered. I really am enjoying having him again in my stables. Time will tell how our bond develops and I'm sure most of us will be reevaluating things come MoP but for now I'm having fun with him.

Image Image Image Image Image

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

I have two Carrion birds! ^.^

First up is Mia's bird, Mordecai. AKA Mirth Bird!

Mordecai is called Mirth bird because.. well when I first timed him he did nothing but emotes (PetEmote) that included the word "mirth" and at first it was a bit annoying... so I let him go.
I instantly regretted it.
So I send like, 30 minutes taming the same spawn point until I finally got a "mirth emote" as the first emote, and I'm glad I did. He's adorable!
eems his favorite place to hang out is on Mia's shoulders. <3 He's very chillax about life and just sort of goes with the flow, and can fin amusement in almost anything. ^.^

Next is Sarahma's bird Candycorn!
Candycorn is basically just a silly little bird. Loves to play pranks and be playfully mean to other people. And he totally digs Hallow's End. :P
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_032412_191816.jpg
WoWScrnShot_032412_191816.jpg (126.93 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
WoWScrnShot_032412_190254.jpg
WoWScrnShot_032412_190254.jpg (86.37 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
WoWScrnShot_032412_190256.jpg
WoWScrnShot_032412_190256.jpg (81.68 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
WoWScrnShot_032412_211619.jpg
WoWScrnShot_032412_211619.jpg (104.29 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
WoWScrnShot_032412_210137.jpg
WoWScrnShot_032412_210137.jpg (126.69 KiB) Viewed 4421 times

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I looved the huggle picture <3 :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Tårnfalk wrote:I looved the huggle picture <3 :D
Yeeesssss when I first saw it I was all "D'aaaaaaaawwwwwww I must use this one!!"
And it totally gave Mordecai extra bonding points! ^.^

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Serendipity82
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

Carrion birds weren't something I had originally intended on getting for Myri. But then I fell in love with the simple brown/purple one in Westfall and just had to tame him. And I think he looks good with my hunter too boot. I raid with 2 other hunters, so Skree gets quite a bit of use and is almost always one of my active pets. <3 Carrion birds!
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_101311_202413.jpg
WoWScrnShot_101311_202413.jpg (304.44 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

I really like the carrion bird skins in-game, although I am mainly weirded out by the two-headed beasties. I really wish they'd come in a one-headed form as well, because then I'd be likely to want to tame all the lovely colours in a heartbeat.

Anyway, too exhausted to take screenies today.

Image My Orc's baby is Agron, who I had a lovely run at level 10 to get. I play on a PvP server with her, and was expecting not only many happy ganking deaths, but also a long wait for a respawn. None of this happened, and I tamed him without a hitch. He was my main dungeon pet until Garshanga hit some higher levels, and the two are still very attached to one another.

Image Flaubert is my flamboyant fop of a bird. He doesn't actually suit my Worgen's theme, but when I saw the model, I knew I had to tame him on someone. He has been a beloved addition ever since my camp, and is strongly linked to some of the best times I have had in WoW.

Image Along with the white fox, the white condor is my favourite pet model. It's just completely gorgeous in every way. Originally, Hathor here was my first hunter's beloved companion. The pet I did dungeons with, soloed with, had around in cities, his forever pet. While I cared greatly for my white crocolisk and white warpie, nothing came even close to their bond. When Cer was race-changed to a female Troll, I let Hathor go as she and the Troll no longer worked together. I tamed the model on several characters over time, but none of them seemed to stick. It took me quite a while to realise that the bird couldn't be on anyone but Cer, no matter what he looked like these days. However, I still tried to give her a new name, so she'd feel more like Mozag's pet. This didn't work either, and I didn't want to take her out of the stables, because I always felt she was unhappy with me. Eventually I knew that she could never be anything but Hathor. I name-changed her and things have been better since. I can still feel Hathor's cold disapproval of her new mistress, and Mozag herself is suspicious also, never having been too keen on birds. But they are forging along, one step at a time. Hathor was the pet that taught me that pixelated creatures can mean a huge amount to a human being. :D

Image As I stated in the opening paragraph, I am not too happy about the two-headed nature of these birds, because it kind of disturbs me. But Anemone's colour was too perfect to resist, and I have not been able to get rid of her even though I usually do not like to take her out much. I feel that she and Lomelinda do not really fit, although they do look brilliant together. I try to console myself with the fact that it was Lome's kind nature which made her befriend one of these twisted creatures, much as she did with her demon dog. I hope they manage to form a bond eventually.

Image And finally, Bling, my Goblin's beloved insanely yellow bird. I love this damn creature, and with him it doesn't matter about the two heads. Laz has a thing for strange and interesting creatures anyway, and this bird was too good and bright to resist. I hovered around Blasted Lands for several hours waiting for a spawn, and was so happy when I got him at last. Really, really love this yellow and black combo.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Eeee AMG! /flail

If you couldn't tell from the above outburst, carrion birds are one of my favorite pet families!!! My most beloved on Rhyela was just a regular ol' two-headed outland vulture named Rhytil ("jade eye"). Since we only had five stable slots at the time, I ended up abandoning him and I haven't been able to bond with any re-tames since. So, since I still loved carrion birds, I went out to the Blasted Lands and tamed one of those green vultures that fly high up in the air. I named him Ysuran, after a character from one of the Baldur's Gate console games. However, he ended up not getting much use, so I released him as well. :(

I also had a red carrion bird on a dwarf hunter, and I named him Scraps. I just seemed to fit him. :) One of my alt hunters, Niara, has Vultros. Whenever I create new hunters, a carrion bird is one of the first things I tame. I just love them!

Hmm...I wonder if a GM would restore my buddy Rhytil to me? I've already had a few pets restored over the years so I'm not sure if they would do it again.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
CandidHeartbeat
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Thrall-US [Horde], Moon Guard-US [Alliance]

Unread post by CandidHeartbeat »

I know this is an old post but I've been absent and haven't had a chance to catch up!
Well, I actually enver liked Carrion birds before - I found them to be icky looking and never fit a character.
However, that wasn't the case with Lokiia - not even in the slightest, I was questing in Outlands when I stumbled
upon her during a quest chain! I jokingly tamed her because I was trying to test out different pets I didn't regularly use!
She just suck, her name is Tenshi - she is actually in the background for my youtube channel!

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

CandidHeartbeat wrote:I know this is an old post but I've been absent and haven't had a chance to catch up!
It's always fine to bump up these topics with pet stories. That's why I link to past threads at the beginning of every post.

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Yay! A kind GM restored Rhytil to me!!! It's great to have my old buddy back. :D

Attachments
Rhyela and Rhytil Reunited.jpg
Rhyela and Rhytil Reunited.jpg (588.58 KiB) Viewed 4421 times

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
RHMakonea
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (H/A)

Unread post by RHMakonea »

This is my loyal companion Spirit
He's one of my favorite pets to use in Arena and is my favorite winged companion of all time. I often have him with me I rarely switch him out especially when it comes to killing Warriors :P
I've always adored the two headed birds Cataclysm is when we bonded and have been together ever since.

Signature by the Wonderful Britany

My DeviantArt

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

For some reason, he seems huge compared to you. :P He really looks good with you!

RHMakonea
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (H/A)

Unread post by RHMakonea »

Rhyela wrote:For some reason, he seems huge compared to you. :P He really looks good with you!
Just camera positioning ;) makes him look much larger compared to me

Signature by the Wonderful Britany

My DeviantArt

ApolloThePasserby
Realm: Zuluhed

Unread post by ApolloThePasserby »

I know that is an EFF-ton heck of lateness, but I just HAVE to show off my oldest friend on WoW!

Originally, waaaaay back in Vanilla, and a darn shame that I didn't save any of the old screenshots from way back when, this was the first pet I ever tamed. An adorable looking little black vulture (I mean, swoop) which I named Steve. At the character screen, I originally wanted to name my character 'Doctorweird' or something, so that having a pet named 'Steve' would match. But then I would just fall into that category of players naming their characters after popular characters, like Sephiroth, or Batman, or Gimli, or some other BS. So I took a mix of two words (Touro = bull in Spanish/Portuguese, and Prier = to pray, in French; also the name of the main character in La Pucelle), so I got PrayingBull. XD

But back to my buddy. I know there are other birds out there, other carrion birds, and other 'better' DPS pets, like cats, wolves, and raptors and junk, but I've always stuck with my little buddy ever since Vanilla. Especially since I went BM right from the get go--Survival became my back-up 'raiding spec' if BM isn't wanted, and Marksmanship is just so BORRRRRING, too! He enjoys nomming on critters, targeting gnomes, screeching loudly, and of course, perching on my shoulder. He even tries perching on my horn, and that's when I get mad.

He may not be as tanky as my other pets, but Tour and Steve are Mulgore natives, true to the end! They even find the time to get out of the hustle and bustle of Orgrimmar to just go back to Thunder Bluff, just to chill and veg there. There were even a couple of times in dungeons where when it was just me and Steve left while everyone died on a tough enemy. I FDed while Steve continued fighting. And he managed to pull off the last bit of damage. I even bring Steve daringly into raids where other hunters would bring wolves and cats.

And besides, what's wrong with a Beastmaster having a giant angry vulture obscuring your enemy's vision, screeching and swiping all over your face with talons afrenzy? And Steve will definitely be a powerhouse when MoP comes out. I plan on having my boy go all Bestial Wrath + Lynx Rush + Beast Cleave some fools non-stop! :headbang: