Random Pet Challenge [v4.0]

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Random Pet Challenge [v4.0]

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Brought to you by TygerDarkstorm

The Random Pet Challenge
The Random Pet Challenge is a fun way for hunters to try out and perhaps bond with pets/families they wouldn't normally have tamed. You, the hunter, give me your character's relevant information and from that I will assign you a randomly determined pet. You then go find this pet, tame it, test it, maybe take some screen shots, and then post a review of the pet and your experiences. Thus helping other hunters interested in that pet skin or pet family to get a better idea of what the pet is like or capable of.

How To Participate
To sign up for a random pet, post in this topic and give me your hunter's name, their level, if they can/want to tame exotics, and any specific pet families you really really can't stand or have way too many of.

Name:
Level:
Exotics:
Restrictions:

NOTE: Please understand that the more restrictions you place in the last section, the less "random" your assigned pet will be and how much harder it is for me to roll you a pet.

How It Works
Once you have given me your hunter's information I will use either /roll or the online D&D dice (they have an option to input whatever number to roll) to randomly determine your assigned pet. I'll roll first for which family (excluding your restrictions and all exotics if so desired) and then roll again for which skin within the family, taking into consideration the level of your hunter. Spirit Beasts are automatically excluded from all rolls, and if I roll a rare only skin or a rare is the only mob available for your level, I will post that one along with another randomly rolled alternative. The same situation goes for if I roll an instance only skin, such as Chromaggus, and it would be hard for you to get to on your own.

The Pet
Now that you have your assigned pet, use the link to find out where to get this pet and go tame it. Spend some time with it, get to know it by doing some of the following ideas:

- Name it
- Do some dailies
- Stare at it
- Go farming
- Run a dungeon
- Watch it swim
- Do a battleground
- Take some screenshots

NOTE: If I roll a pet that you currently have or have had in the past, please write a review on it anyway; if it's a pet you already love, why not share it with us? :D Also, I do not go and look up stables, these are time consuming as it is, I don't have the time to check out everyone's stables so I ask that you please give the report anyway, and then ask for a reroll.

The Review
After you've gotten to know your pet a little better and have decided to keep them or release them, please come back and tell us about your experience. Report the results of any experiments you did, if you liked the pet or not and why, say if you would keep this pet or tame another pet of the same family. Other ideas of what to report your thoughts on:

- Model
- Skin
- Animations
- Sound effects
- Food requirements
- Tanking ability
- DPS output
- Pet family abilities
- Utility

NOTE: If you would like another roll once you're done the report for the first one, please use the full request format (name, level, exotics, restrictions). That way I don't have to sift through posts to find your original request.

Rares I Have by Cialbi
In this new section you can put down any unique rares you have tamed that you wouldn't mind writing a review about. Or if you are currently camping Aotona/<insert rare name here> and would tame her/it regardless, you could probably put those in this section too. This extra section would be completely optional, and you would only put a rare in this category if you were willing to write a report on them. This way, people can see other hunters' opinions on the very rare pets before they go and spend hours/days/weeks camping them.

Example request:
Cialbi wrote:Name: Cialbi
Level: 85
Exotics: Sure
Restrictions: No monkeys or red bats
Rares I Have: Arcturis, Albino Eyegouger, The Razza, Grubthor, Zora
NOTE: As mentioned before this is completely optional!

Thanks for reading and I hope you have fun!

Credits
Acherontia's Random Pet Challenge Version 1
Slic123's Random Pet Challenge Version 2
Kormai's Random Pet Challenge Version 3
Last edited by TygerDarkstorm on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: Random Pet Challenge [v4.0]

CandidHeartbeat(Lokiia):
Brown Horde Scorpid

I figured this guy might be okay since he's only one level away from you, however, if you want a roll at your level (or under), I can provide you with a new pet. :)

Akyo:
Purple Nether Ray

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

i was given Purple Nether Ray.

Ive tamed these rays before and never clicked but off i went again.
I knew right away what one i wanted to tame. "Count" Ungula.
I knew what to name it right after the tame cause the tricky girl threw me up in the air while tameing!
After a freeze trap to force her to behave she was mine and i named her Trix, though not me nor Trix was happy about her massive shrinkage.
I was glad to discover that Blizzard had fixed the issue with Nether rays beeing stuck in idle pose when moving, so she moves nicely around.
Took her with me to the bottom of the sea. She swims just like she flys but she dident seem quite comfortable down there.
Poor girl hugged the seafloor. She liked the bubbles though. Oh. and Hi crab!
Took her with me to Northrend to see if the Time-Lost was up and about. It was not. So instead we went to the prettiest place in Northrend.
Trix was bafled with all the purple and wondered why there was no purple Rays or Sporebats here. It seemed like a fine place for em.
Braught Trix with me for some bgs and a dungeon. She did her job fine but i cant say i care much for her special ability.
Her attack animations are like most flying things. A headbut and a claw/slap.
Trix is a very quiet girl. Makes no flapping noises and her voice is deep but not loud. Think she needs some real energy food, her "energy trail" is rather poor/weak.
I must say though, that i actually quite like her. Shes no superpet by anny means but..i likez her.
She got 4 mean lookin eyes (or is it 5? i always looked at the big one as a gem) to try and look lovingly at one with and look how mean she looks!
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR her face says to anyone else than me.
Image Image
This girl is beeing keept. At anny rate, shes to embaraced by her loss of size to return to her fellow Rays.
Oh and did i mention she doesnt like it in the ocean? She really hugs the sea floor. I understand her though. Open water is scary D8
BUBBLES!

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Mithlek
Realm: Arygos

Unread post by Mithlek »

EDIT:

Name: Mithlek
Level: 10

Exotics: No
Restrictions: Anything from levels 5 to 18/20-ish. Also, No pets that may require treks into Ally lands... if that's ok.
Last edited by Mithlek on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Yes you may reserve the spot, I'll try to remember to refresh the page off and on to check for your edit of the sign in format. ^_^

[/center]
meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nessingway- Main (H) Mannoroth- Secondary (A)

Unread post by meepitco »

Posting to stalk this thread. I love seeing other people bond with pets (as creepy as that sound XD)

Click the picture, it takes you to my deviantart.

Tumblr is here.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Whoops Mith, just caught your post, let me get you a roll. :)

Mithlek:
Red Lynx

[/center]
Mithlek
Realm: Arygos

Unread post by Mithlek »

[Please excuse some large images, I forgot to crop them this time. ^^" ]

I got a Red Lynx, for my roll.

It took me a while to even get to Eversong, since I was intially in the barrens, having to run back to Orgrimmar (hearth was on CD), but I enjoyed the scenery, especially of Tirisfal, and then Eversong itself... sadly, Silvermoon's not on my "best Horde cities" list... :p

After searching some spots, I came across these 3 lynxes, around... some town I forgot, never looked at my map. :?
I noticed how one of them stayed by the tree, while the others continued to hunt around...

Getting this one to relax took only a minute, even though I got clawed a bit. However, before I laid down some food for it, the lynx ran away from me. That only got me more worried, but it (she as I found out by looking at her more) warmed up slowly to me. :D

Thought up the name Remkeetu, after seeing her trot around. Remkee darted ahead of me as we got close to the river, but the poor thing's head was below water as she tried to swim across, so I quickly helped her out of the water, and walked back to Silvermoon.

Her fur seemed a bit sun-worn, but broken up, possibly from the branches above. It's cute. :3

As we got near Silvermoon, Remkeetu started to slow down, yawning a bit. As it was nighttime, I didn't push her to continue, and I chose a spot under a tree, which she quickly ducked under a bush, to eventually sleep.

Even though I just met my Remkee, I'm already feeling a bond with her. :hug: She's definitely staying in the group... now to see if Ecyrieh accepts her...

(I missed my tame shot, as there was another blood elf around, killing the lynxes nearby. Got a bit panicked.
2 had vanished from the group shot, as my view's on Fair.)
Last edited by Mithlek on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Aw, that's a really cute story. Makin' me want to go tame a lynx now. :lol:

[/center]
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

I'm back for a challenge. I finally have sorted out most private stuff and feel up for a challenge tame again. I have an open challenge from December for a white rhino with my Tauren hunter Larkania. Do you want me to review her? She's the best rhino I ever had, I can tell you :D I still have all the screenshots I took of her.
Otherwise here is a new application:

Name: Finduilas
Exotics: yes
Restrictions: no monkeys

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Welcome back Findu! You don't have to post the rhino report unless you really want to. :)

Finduilas:
Pink Boss Silithid

::OR::

Yellow Scorpid

[/center]
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Thank you Tyger.
I decided to share the most special rhino of Azeroth with everyone, so Finduilas' challenge will follow in the next few days.

My Tauren Larkania was assigned the white rhino back last year. I wanted to look for Icehorn, but he wasn't up so my path led me to the Stormepeaks. Above Brunnhildar near the one Skoll spawn I found a lonely rhino. It wasn't moving and the rest of the herd was passing by. It looked sad to me so I tamed it. I named Larkania's new friend Lolita, a name that somehow was stuck in my head although it didn't seem to fit this sad looking creature.

I was busy taking screenshots to write about Lolita's appearance. When something strange happened. A white flash appeared out of the sky and engulfed my rhino. Looking to the sky I noticed one of the dragons trying to freeze my rhino. No wonder she had looked uncomfortable before. The dragon flew away and I moved to a different spot to take the pics. But again, dragon attack. The dragons didn't leave us alone until I finally decided to leave Stormpeaks with Lolita. I went back today to see if the dragons would still attack her, but they left us unharmed.

This event already made me feel protective of Lolita and I felt a bond between us. I observed her closer, despite her somewhat grumpy expression Lolita looks cute. Her long fur is a creamy white with brown legs. I have already had all colors of rhinos before except a white one and I'm surprised at how much I like her. Her color matches Larkanias' and her eyes are a nice green (not like the grey rhino with the creepy red ones). She is one of the biggest pets in game and I like big pets next to my Tauren.

Next I took Lolita to do the Tol Barad dailies with me. She is a tenacity pet and I specced her towards tanking and surviving. Needless to say Lolita made a great job and Larkania never got aggro. She finished off mobs pretty fast, I was expecting her to do less damage. When going red she grows really big, you can see her next to Larkania in a nice strawberry color ;)
Her attack animations are basically a hit with her horn by shaking her head from one side to the other and stomping with her feet. I love watching her fight. Rhinos are one of the few tenacity pets I like to see doing thunderstomp (a worm doing a stomp? please just please!).
Lolita also did emergency tanking a few times when a tank dropped dead or left the group. With Misdirection she does an excellent job and I do all my achievment and transmog runs solo with her. She tanks northrend heroics like a champ without losing much health.

Lolita's animations: First thing: I LOVE stealthy rhino. Stealthy rhino is sthealthy. Don't you agree?
Her swimming animation is not the greatest in my opinion. She looks like she is in pain, paddling with her legs with such a sad expression, I only wanted to get her out of the water again. But swimming shows her long legs. At least something.
Her sounds are great. She makes lots of "Humph" and "hrrrmmmm" noises when fighting. While standing next to Larkania she doesn't make any sounds and her only "animation" is to softly sway from side to side.
Her running animation is trot next to her mistress, similar to the one of riding Kodos.

Concerning Kodos, Lolita fell in love with Larkanias Kodo, I'm sure. Both love to look at each other and the Kodo makes a "humph" sound similar to Lolita's fighting sounds. Since Lolita lives in Mulgore with Larkania she started blooming like a flower. The huge grassy prairie, the soft light and lots of Kodos. The rhino got a new home.
I will definitely keep Lolita, Larkania will let her other rhino free again. He didn't see the light anymore after I tamed her.

Findu's pet challenge will follow. I decided to take the silithid, I never had one before.

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Gayia
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands EU

Unread post by Gayia »

Well, wanna try your challenge :)

My main used to be BM, but since Dec - I am MM. I can only tame "normal", not exotic beasts. I have just one spot left.
My alt is BM, i will tame anything you say - give me 24 hrs.

So - one not exotic for my main, and two "hard" ones for my alt.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

If you would like to try out for the first time, I ask that you please read the OP and fill out the required form so I may give you a proper roll. :)

[/center]
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

I would like another go.
Sorry for the restrictions.

Name: Akyo
Restrictions: No Wrath or Cata rares. no silithids, chimeras, nether-rays, rare deadmine parrots. Nothing thats already in my stable.
Armory stable link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... t#11103166

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

[/center]
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

This is my report on the pink Boss Silithid.
This Silithid is a Beastmaster only pet and can be found either as a rare in Tanaris or as a Boss in the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj.

I decided to go looking for the rare one first before asking my fiance to make a raidgroup with me. I got very lucky because Ainamiss the Hivequeen spawned right before my very eyes. The first encounter with this future pet of mine was a very unpleasing one. First thing: she was terribly huge and almost scared the heck out of me when she spawned. Second thing: her noises. She started crawling around her spawn point making terrible annyoing noises. Then I tamed her.
I named my new pet Blobby. I was uncreative and the bulky appearance with his wobbling head made me come up with this name.
First thing I noticed when Blobby was standing next to me: he doesn't match my transmog. Not at all. But this is a pet challenge, I reminded me and took him with me.

Appearance:

We went to Orgrimmar and I started examining his exterior. Blobby is a huge pet. At least compared to my bloodelf. His appearance is quite alien. A huge head with some kind of huge nose (reminded me of a trumpet :oops: ) and his legs look like razorsharp blades. The color ranges from a pink over orange to purplish blue as markings. I rather liked this shading, but it didn't match Findu. The back of his brain (?) has a chitinlike panzer. He stands on four legs and has two others folded at the side of his head (I think it is an other pair of legs).
Overall I din't like his appearance too much. He is so bulky while his small legs barely seem to support his weight and his huge head/brain was creepy for me.

Animations and Sounds:

An other pet with no swimming animation was my very first thought when I took Blobby for a swim with Findu. He was walking in the water like he did on the ground. Then I noticed something strange: his sounds. When walking on the ground he sometimes makes a hissing unpleasant sound, like complaining at having to walk, but under water his behavior changed. He kept complaining with each step, it was so unnerving I immediately left the water after having taken one screenshot. As soon as we were outside the water he was quiet again. So if you ever want a boss silithid: don't take him for a swim, he sure won't like it - and your ears will be greatful. His sounds were bugging me the most about this pet. A hissing cat with a bad cough sounds like a concert against Blobby's unpleasant sounds. Pet Emote was cracking me up with "Blobby rubs his front legs together making an unnerving rasping sound" YES! Sometimes I imagined I heard a "hump" sound, when I was tabbed out. He never made it when I was in the game, I made sure to be standing at a place with no other sounds, so it must be coming from him.
His idling animation is to look occasionaly from one side to the other or pushing himself a bit up only to slump back again.
His fighting animations are good. He uses his venom web first - this looks like the web of a spider with an unhealthy green, but has the same function: hold target in place. Then he uses his whole body and his additional pair of legs to shred the target. His attacking animations are so fast I had problems getting a good shot of it, but I tried to catch it at least a bit.

Utility and fighting:

I took Blobby on several "tests" with me. First we did the event boss for Love is in the air. The group had no priest and no warlock so his "Qiraji furtitude", a stamina buff, came in handy. His family belongs in the group of cunning pets so I didn't expect his dps to be very good. We did decent dps, but I decided an event boss is not real proof for this pet. Next I took Blobby to a few dungeons with me. His stamina buff always helped (we didn't have a priest in any of theses groups) but I had to force myself to keep Blobby out. His sounds were annoying me so much I was tempted to turn off the sound. Even when I was standing at maximum range of him I heard his sounds like he was standing next to me. His dps was okay, but I could easily pull more with a ferocity pet.
So I decided to take Blobby to a a battleground for a final test. There his web ability was very nice to have. He kept warriors or pally at a safe distance while (hopefully) annoying the crap out of them with his sound. But a spider would do the same job without the annoying noise (at least if you have none of these draenei spiders).

Conclusion:

Blobby is definitely no pet I like. His appearance is too strange for me and his sounds are bugging me too much. I might try a different Silithid model one day to have a stamina buff to help out groups and see if I like this one better. Although I have to say it was worth the try. I would have never gotten a Silithid otherwise and tried these pets out.

Next roll please:
Name: Finduilas
restrictions: no monkeys please
rares I have: a lot, but will review if one of them should be rolled.
Attachments
Blobby1.jpg
Blobby1.jpg (81.65 KiB) Viewed 34391 times
Blobby2.jpg
Blobby2.jpg (88.99 KiB) Viewed 34391 times
Blobby3.jpg
Blobby3.jpg (86.36 KiB) Viewed 34391 times

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

davidrivera49
Realm: Magtheridon

Unread post by davidrivera49 »

Name:Kawawaface
Level:17
Exotics:NO
Restriction:Looking for my first pet, besides the starter
Sarantha
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Sarantha »

Name: Sarantha
Exotics: Yes
Restrictions: None, I'm bored.

I don't care what type of pet I'm assigned, I just need something to alleviate the boredom and decided to try this again, if thats alright. So...shoot me a pet to tame and I'll go tame it.
Part of Dark Magics, lvl 25 Horde guild, casual, helpful, don't raid, mostly help people and hunt pets.
Part of Dynasty, lvl 25 Alliance guild, casual and hardcore (your choice, no one forces you to raid, but you can), very helpful
Come on over if interested (Runetotem US, Horde name Sarantha, Ally name Ellysetta or Valeraud)
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Finduilas:
Ghost Worm

::OR::

Grey Bear

davidrivera49(Kawawaface):
Orange and Red Dragonhawk

::Since I'm not sure of your faction, OR::
Dark Striped Cat

Sarantha:
Red Runed Demon Dog

[/center]