Random Pet Challenge [v4.0]

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Daranara
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Re: Random Pet Challenge [v4.0]

Unread post by Daranara »

May I have one, please? :3

Name: Franzie
Level: 80
Exotics: yes
Restrictions: none!
Rares she has (and would happily report about): Arcturius

Daranara - Night Elflet Huntar - Lightbringer US
Gearfeathers on FR

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Derp, silly me forgetting to give these out the other day. >_<

Also, Finduilas, that is amazing that not only did you just give a report on your pet, you gave a wonderful guide to help any low level Horde hunters that may want the awesome Death Ravager. ^_^

Corpsebryde:
Red Boar

Finduilas:
Ghostly Blue Two-Headed Vulture
I'm not sure if this is too diseased for you or anything Fin so let me know if you're uncomfortable with it and I'll give you a reroll. :)

Daranara(Franzie):
Hunched Orange Striped Cat

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

*giggles* thank you Tyger. I was thinking about making more taming guides for special pets for lowbie hunters and put them into one thread, but that's just a thought at the moment.

And the ghostly vulture is perfectly fine, I have this guy with the glow on my Tauren, I just don't like the pets with wounds and open bellys and such. I pity them.

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Corpsebryde
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garona

Unread post by Corpsebryde »

For my 3rd pet challenge I rolled the Red Boar. It is a common skin found throughout Azeroth and can be tamed at low levels. For my challenge I decided to tame the Ashmane boar found in Blasted Lands (the highest level that can be tamed).

Since I spend quite a bit of time in Blasted Lands, I knew exactly where to go to tame my pet. I found a lone boar wandering amongst the carcasses of his friends as a result of a low level mage killing anything and everything in his path. The tame went without a hitch and the new boar raced happily to my side.

Deciding on a name proved difficult but eventually I settled on Wort (meaning herb) after watching him root around for a bit. The first thing I noticed about this little guy was that he acted tough but was really a big baby, choosing to run from mobs rather than fight.
ImageImage

He seemed happiest just being able to root around and shake his little rump while I went about my day.

I think that the boar family is animated quite well, especially for a model that's been around since Vanilla. The walk and run are both very fluid. I especially enjoyed watching him run; he scrunched up and then seemed to fling himself outward like a little spring. :P
ImageImage

The boar uses a cute little doggy paddle when swimming. While idle in the water he seems bottom heavy even though he has tiny little hips.
ImageImage

The boar special ability is Gore which causes the target to take 30% extra bleed damage for 15 seconds. As a Beast Mastery hunter I've never found this ability useful. Being a tenacity pet they are particularly good at tanking, something I use quite often when soloing content. However I think that the turtle or beetle families make better tanks because of their shields. I found his charge (immobilizes target for 1 sec and increases the pet's next melee attack power by 25%) and thunderstomp (Aoe nature damage to all enemies within 8 yards; also causes moderate threat) particularly useful. In dungeons though he was lackluster in dps.
ImageImage

Overall I really enjoyed Wort but he will not be staying in my stables. I already enjoy a flaming boar named Inferno whom I plan to make ferocity in Mists. Wort will be returning to the Blasted Lands but I will fondly remember his silly nature and confusion in battle. :lol:

I would like another please.

Name: Corpsebryde
Level: 85
Exotics: Sure
Restrictions: Spirit beasts; I've tamed them all before. Brown Fox, Chromaggus, Red Boar
Rares: Deth'tilac, Chromaggus, Harakiss the Infestor, red Maddex, Scarr

Avatar by Moonlost; Signature by Sookie
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Corpsebryde:
Black Monkey

Also, since you don't want Chromaggus as a roll again, you don't need to list him on the Rares You Have list; that's for hard to find rares you have that you don't mind reporting on. :)

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Corpsebryde
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Oh ok, good to know.

DawnHunter

Unread post by DawnHunter »

Name:DawnHunter
Level:81 or 82,can't remember
Exotics:Yes!
Restrictions:No spirit beasts unless it come with an alternative,same for raid mobs Thanks:D
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

If I ever roll a hard to tame/find pet, it always comes with an alternative. ;)
I'll update this after I get off work.

[/center]
Measa
Realm: Eldre'thalas

Unread post by Measa »

Its been some months since I posted me second assignment for Measa and Mecho.

:o No I didn't Megatron, in fact I'm doing it right now. And my names not starscream!
My assignment for Measa was the spiked color changing crab that can be found in the Abyssal Depths. Something I've had issues with since the end of BC. Around that time (when they added more stables to the hunters) I opted to try a crab back then. A wonderful Bronze Skittering Crawler that I grabbed from Azuremyst Isle and named Barnaby. It while I was trying for the world explore title. Origionaly he was going to be my fishing buddy but I could not get along with him. Something about the way their programed just didn't sit right with me. Try as I might I couldn't get use to him and he spent more time taking up a stable spot then getting play time. I ended up returning to Azuremyst to release him back to his kind.

With the spiked color changer I nabbed him and had some of the same issues from go. The sounds he made bugged me, the way he fights just didn't sit right and in the end he sat in my stable for a months enjoying the free fish and time away from work.
Till this weekend when I finally got off my duff and did my homework.

To begin with Measa found himself thinking of joining a pirate band, So of course he needed the right pet to help him out. The two headed vulture didn't fit. Nether did the undead parrot, Well not for a living hunter at least. Before he could even consider heading down to Strangle Thorn for a monkey that gnome that runs the pet stables in Dalaran reminded his of his crab. "Hes sat in here since you arrived in Dalaran two years ago. Now take him out or I'll report you to D.E.H.T.A. for pet abandonment."

The last thing Measa wanted to do was have to face down the druids of D.E.H.T.A. so he took Megatron out with him.

A quick wardrobe change and port later Measa found himself looking for a boat with Megatron. He wondered for a little while why the the crab had reminded him of the Fel Reavers he had faced in Netherstorm. But not for long as he sat watching the traffic pass threw Bilgewater Harbor.

It wasn't to long before a goblin ship took him adored on a trial basis. The crew was horde sponsored looking to do privater work in Stormwinds waters in part of a harassment campaign. A few good pigeons would make the crew a tidy bundle of cash, once they had been liberated of their cargo.

Like many things Goblin related this didn't last long. Due to some one leaving an open flam near some powder kegs. Causing a nice ship sicking "BOOM!!!" in the Orgrimmar harbor.

Being one of the few survivors Measa was accused of blowing up horde property and found guilty. The guard put to work doing hard labor for Hellscream's Reach in one of the old dungeons in Tol Barad. Megatron found this more enjoyable then Measa did as he found ghost to be something he could sink his claws into.

After a few weeks of good behavior Measa and Megatron where transferred to Northrend to help the Kalu'ak. They had need of bruit strength against the Wolvar raiders that lay in a glade to the north of Moa'ki Harbor.

Measa did try to get some more work. After all who doesn't want to drive the turtle just once?

But no matter how many times he asked they never let him.

One of the other jobs Measa and Megatron had was helping to ensure the future populations of Reef Cow's. Megatron had his own ideas of how the job should be done.

In addition they spent several hours repairing some of the Kalu'ak kayaks. Wishing hed taking up leather working Measa found it tedious work.

A few times Measa and Mega did get time to slip away. One of these they tried to defect to the pirate bands in the local area. They for some reason kept turning the blood elf down.

After his time was served Measa did try getting Megatron work from Awilo Lon'gomba. Something that might lead to a platter with lemon and butter. Lucky for Megatron Awilo has issues with shell fish.

In the end they ended up going fishing.

I will be returning Megatron to the wild. I really do wish I could get over what it is that bugs me about the crabs in wow. Then I might keep Megatron. But I have to go play Mecho and her gray fox whom I have also been slacking off on.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Apologies for the roll delay. :oops:

Dawnhunter:
White Vulture

::OR::

Orange Striped Cat

[/center]
DawnHunter

Unread post by DawnHunter »

so my challenge was either a white vulture or a orange striped tiger,I opted for the striped tiger so here's my story:

I flew to Northern Stranglethorn with my snow leopard,using my tracking I spotted one walking about,all alone.I dismounted,dismissed my pet and began taming!It put up a good fight with its constant misses,but it was no match!I gave it some food and put its talents to dps.Being a cat its special was prowl,it puts the caster into invisibility,slowing its movement but increasing the power of its next attack by 20%!Another ability it has increases agility and another stat(i forgot) by a certain amount,good if there are no warriors or DKs in the group

It has 1 main idle animation which is streching and yawning,I later went to a pool of water,its swimming animation is the same as when it walks,however when idle it paddles.

Being a ferocity(i am right,right?)pet it mainly does dps,it did good dps especially with beastial wrath and kill command.

But it was time to make a decision,I released CatWomen(tigers name)back into the wild because i liked the snow leopard skin better.

Next one please!BTW how do I post pictures?

Name:DawnHunter
Level:85
Exotics:Yes
Restrictions:no gorillas or monkeys
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

You can either post pictures by uploading them as an attachment. If you go to the "Full Editor" option when making a post, down at the bottom you'll see where it says "Filename"; that's where you upload the pics (one at a time) from your computer. Once you have one selected you click the "Add the File" button. You can keep uploading photos that way. Then, inside your post you pick the area where you want to insert one of the screenshots and hit the "Place Inline" button (located right underneath where your post is being made).

You'll get something that looks like this:
WoWScrnShot_070112_191513.jpg
WoWScrnShot_070112_191513.jpg (359.04 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
Another method is to use a third party website such as Photobucket, ImageShack, etc. These websites are free to use, just set up an account. Then to embed it in your post you'll want to use this code:

Code: Select all

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l482/TygerDarkstorm/TygerRef.png[/IMG]
So it'll look like this:

DawnHunter:
Grey Rhino

[/center]
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

My pet challenge for Finduilas was a pet I would have never thought of to tame: the ghostly blue two-headed vulture. This pet is special in several ways. First: it's one of the ghostly pets every hunter (not only beastmaster) can use, like the ghostly wolf or the ghostly snow leopard. Second: I think he's the last appearance buff pet that still can be tamed with his cosmetic effect.
I knew about the tame with the glow still attached to the pet and had already tamed this pet successfull on my Tauren hunter. So when I got rolled this pet for Findu my goal was to tame it with the glow again and then try out things I wouldn't dare on my Tauren. I set out for Blade's Edge Mountains to this little Arrakoa camp in the south. The Arrakoa Wing Protectors summon the birds to protect them when they are hurt. My first challenge was not to kill the Arrakoa so they could run off to their summoning circles. I had to take off my polearm and hit the Arrakoa with my fists between three and four times then he would run away and summon this bird. I had looked up a taming strategy earlier and knew that this pet would despawn after 1 minute. In the guide buried deep in the forums here I read that if you started taming at exactly 49.5 seconds after spawning you would get the birdie with glow. I think Findu has a little bit too much haste for the 49.5. seconds to work for her, because when I did the 49.5 seconds I got the bird without glow just flapping next to me. With a bit of trying I found that 51 seconds was too much, the pet would despawn before the tame finished. The 10th try worked like a charm. I started taming with 50.5 seconds and the tame went through but I didn't have a pet. I logged out and saw it next to Findu in the log in screen. Back into the game I could call the pet and there he was, with glow. Before the 10th try I had joined groups with a friend of mine who needed to get into a raid. Her toon was named Erax. As she seemed to have been my lucky charm I asked her if it was okay to name her pet after her toon. So my birdie was now named Erax.
Erax didn't have any abilities in his pet bar at first. I was a bit scared that he might not have his special abilities, but after giving him skillpoints I found his abilities in my spellbook and could put them in the bar.
Sorry for the tiny swimming pic: Erax didn't like to take photos when in the water.... I have to say he does a very gracious swim with slow movements but he didn't like pics of it..... His swim is like the flying animation only he lowers his head further down.
In the pictures you can see his pretty and strong glow after beeing tamed and during our screenshot session in Stormpeaks.

Erax is a pretty bird. I love his turqoise color combined with a dark grey. It's really pretty. In comparison to the other ghostly pets he looks rather solid and only in front of certain backgrounds you notice that he's ghostly. I usually can't stand the tail "feathers" of carrion birds, they are the thing that keeps me from bonding because I think they look like a plucked chicken. But Erax' tail looked nice, I think the green is still feathers on his tail and not just some naked flesh like with this birds with only one head (they are worse for me).
I forgot to take a pic of his heads, but he has really nice little yellow eyes and a feathery collar around his neck. In comparison to my tiny bloodelf Erax is a really big pet. Unlike with my chimera he never was in the way when looting or targetting things.

After taking pics I took Erax to a random dungeon with me. We got into Deadmines right in the middle of a fight with the two dps members dead and tank and healer only barely alive. Erax and Findu made quick work with the mobs and after rezzing the other two we went on. Erax is a ferocity pet and I love the dps output of this family. As a beastmaster I depend on my pet's damage and Erax did well. Sadly his special ability is something that is covered as soon as you have a tank in the group. Erax would reduce the damage all enemies deal in a range of 8 meters by 10% - an ability each tank has (at least I think so, bears do have for sure, warriors, too. Only one I'm not sure about is a dk and pally.). My deadmines group really was bad. I think without me and Erax they would have never made it. The warrior dps kept on dying because the healer had problems keeping everyone alive, the tank pulled too many groups and died, everyone was bad at dps, so Erax and I ended up dealing almost 60% of the total damage alone. Eventually with many deaths of tank and warrior and near-wipes we made it. Reliefed I left the group.
Erax does not only look pretty, his fighting animations are nice to watch, too. He rises up, lets himself drop down on the target and attacks it with beak and talons. His screech ability makes a purple effect around the target. His fighting is very fluid and dynamic.

After our dungeon I finally go my lazy butt up to unlock Therazane with Finduilas. So Erax and I went to Deepholm. He looked so pretty and nice there with the bright lights and colors. We killed evil people, summoned dragons and finally got called to Therazane herself. We rescued the world pillar by helping the earthen ring and made good gold selling crap items and getting quest rewards. A few hours later we had made it. Erax had been tanking like a champ and his screech helped him hold aggro on several mobs as long as I didn't multishot too often. He's no tenacity pet, but from all my ferocity pets he definitely was the best tank.
To finish our day properly we went into a battleground. I had heard about the bird loosing the glow if the master or the pet dies and I wanted to try it out. Of course it had to be my most hated bg: strand of the ancients. Like Acherontia mentioned several times the pet hp bug is most annoying there. If you are on a demolisher and it crashes and your pet appears next to you you mostly get hit by something, be it some frostnova or a bomb and the pet dies, because it doesn't have his full health yet. THIS BUG IS FU***** ANNOYING!!!!!!!! Ehm, sorry for that outburst but I really hate it.... The Alliance group seemed to be only healers and rogues with and occasional mage here and there. We died and died. Erax and I tried our best, but as soon as you were alone at least 3 rogues began stabbing you in the back. It was no nice bg. Good thing was only that with rogues and healers you won't win a battle and after some epic fights in front of the golden gate Horde won. I had noticed in the battleground that after the first rezz Erax' glow had dimmed down a bit, and the glowing only was now on top of him. Before he had glow over and under his body. But the glow didn't go away. It's faint now, but you can still see it. And we died a lot, so it only dims down one time. But I think you can see that he's ghostly better now the glow is not so strong anymore.

Erax is a pet I never would have tamed for Findu. But I like him. During our time together he grew on me. He will stay until I will need the stable place when Mop comes out. He was a good questing companion and I want to try im out in a better battleground where he can prove his value with his screech better. In strand of the ancients with all the rogues we died too fast or I was driving a demolisher so he couldn't do much.

It was my last challenge for now. After my wedding I might do an other one, so long I will check to read all the awesome stories.
Attachments
Erax 1.jpg
Erax 1.jpg (104.21 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
Erax 2.jpg
Erax 2.jpg (77.2 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
Erax3.jpg
Erax3.jpg (99.43 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
Erax 4.jpg
Erax 4.jpg (96.5 KiB) Viewed 3269 times

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Oh my, congrats on the wedding. Best of luck to you! :D

[/center]
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Thank you Tyger :)

I'm a bit bored and have some time to spare for Wow this week, so if you could roll me a pet, I would be happy. Not sure if I can make the report this week, but I'll try.

Name: Emerwen
Restrictions: no diseased pets please.
Rares she has: Karoma, Ban'thalos, Arcturis, Gondria, Ghostcrawler, King Krush, purple parrot from Deadmines, Duskstalker
I would do reports about all these rare pets too, of course.

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Corpsebryde
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

This will be my last challenge for awhile. Someone at work quit so our work load has doubled until we can hire someone else.

I rolled the black monkey for this challenge tame. There are two sources for this pet: Deadmines and Jaguero Isle in the Cape of Stranglethorn. I chose the Skymane Bonobo on Jaguero Isle for my tame.

Let me start by saying that I do not like monkeys. I don't like them in real life, and I don't like them in game. The model is extremely awkward in game. It has big, staring eyes and a blocky frame. I named mine Nightmare.
Image Image

Nightmare and I headed to Uldum first to try out his abilities on some unsuspecting hyenas. Monkeys are cunning pets and I think that they are best suited for pvp. Their family ability is Bad Manner. When using this ability the monkey flings poo and blinds its enemy for 4 seconds. I wasn't able to capture any poo flinging in my screenshots. Screeching and hollering, Nightmare charged into battle and stomped the enemy into the dust.
Image Image

I think the monkeys have scoliosis because they do this crooked-backed run that looks exceedingly painful.
ImageImage

The swimming animation is even worse. While idle it does a dead man's float. It's fine when it's actually swimming; in fact, it looks human. But when it stops it floats up to the camera all frozen. It's really odd to say the least.
ImageImage

Overall I did not enjoy this pet. I chose not to keep him and without hesitation said "good riddance" to the face of nightmares.

Thank you for all of the fun rolls but I won't be able to do anymore for a bit. Have fun with all of your tames!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Fin, I am so sorry, for some reason I did not realize you had requested a roll. :oops:

Finduilas(Emerwen):
Red Fox

Corpsebryde: Thank you for your participation and wonderful reports. Best of luck to you irl and we hope to see you return soon. :D

[/center]
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

I have some time to kill, so I've decided to come see what I can get. Since my main hunter seems to be running out of stable spots rather fast, I'm not quite sure if I'll do the challenge on her or an alt hunter of mine, so I'm just going to put down both their names, if that's alright?

Name: Deathlyholow, Jasmon
Restrictions: No monkeys or gorillas, please

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Sure no problem. :D

Harpier(Deathlyholow, Jasmon):
Black Armored Scorpion

[/center]
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

I just seem to tame pets at lightspeed, huh? Well, sadly that isn't the case in most ways but for this pet it was.
Did this on Jasmon because he was who I was on at the time.

I checked on Madexx (just in case, no shame in trying, right?) but he wasn't up, so I settled for the option B: going to Firelands and taming one of these black armored scorpions. The ride there was nothing, but I did stop by and give Banny a nice hello since the poor bird was looking lonely (he's up almost every time I go to Hyjal for dailies, I swear...)

Getting through the portal and subsequently dodging through all the chaos fighting was also easy enough and upon getting to the lava pools, there was one scorpion in particular that caught my attention. Mostly thanks to my good eye and catching him in his hiding spot.

I (patiently) waited until he had finished what looked to be a very relaxing lava bath before cooling him off with a frost trap as he crawled his way out and tamed him (he was extremely venomous about that, actually spat some of the lava he had gathered in his mouth at me! Rude, but it was forgivable). The boy's name immediately came to me, with no real prompting. After all, what better name for a lava-bathing, spit-fire (literally!) scorpion but Dante?

Sad to say, but I already have a menagerie of scorpions in both Jas' and Deathly's stables (all of them Madexx's offspring; two greens and one blue) so I do have to report that I just couldn't keep Dante, no matter how much I enjoy the look of the black skin. Having three scorpions in one stable? That's just asking for a cat dog er, scorpion fight. So I waved a little good-bye and sent the boy on his way.

I do have to say that I adore scorpions; from their models, to their colors, and right on down to the way they run with their clickity-clickity, they are for sure a really nice family of pets. Overall, they are a very nice tank pet, especially with that special little ability of theirs that can keep at least one mob off me while thunderclap rounds up the rest of them. But I already have more than enough scorpions to keep me happy, so this little guy was just a bit out of luck this time!

Name: Deathlyholow, Jasmon
Restrictions: No monkeys or gorillas, please

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||