Random Pet Challenge [v4.0]

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Nhee
Realm: Draenor EU

Re: Random Pet Challenge [v4.0]

Unread post by Nhee »

Classes are done and I am back into WoW, and I am just SO happy that this thread is still active! :D Leveling Nhee with these pet challenges is honestly some of the most fun I've had in the game for a while, and oh boy it's good to be back.

So without further ado,
This is my overdue report on the White Turtle, which I used from level 50-60.

Just like last time, I didn't have to venture far to find one of these turtles. A quick run down to Thousand Needles, and soon enough I found a stranded sparkleshell on a rocky platform, looking helpless as ever. I can't even spend 5 minutes in the place without getting bitter over what Cataclysm did to it, so I cannot imagine what it must be like being stuck there on a rock for as long as him.
The rescue operation taming process was swift and uncomplicated, and soon enough he was mine!

Continuing my Stormlight Archieve naming theme, I called him Rock. In the books, Rock is a high-spirited pacifistic cook and somewhat of a gentle giant. All fitting for this poor old turtle.
My first impressions were a lot better than I thought they would be. The only turtle I've really used before has been the flashy Terrorpene, a near complete opposite to this plain and muted white turtle, so I wasn't expecting to form a bond quickly. Well, I was wrong! I immediately felt sympathy for the poor guy, what with being stranded in such an aggravating place and all, and his white colouring rather matched Nhee herself (if you were to ignore her ugly armor at least).

We quickly hearthed back to Orgrimmar where he could stretch his legs a bit, and headed off to Winterspring.

Unfortunately, this is where I took my break, so I cannot remember much from those five levels. So instead I will talk a bit about Rock's model and animations.
In my opinion, it holds up surprisingly well. It is a bit janky and boxy around the head and feet, but there is a great amount of detail in his shell spikes, and the scales on his feet. The only part of the model that I dislike is that his pupil and iris kind of blends together. This is a very small issue though, and I was level 58 before I even noticed it.
In addition to the model, the animations are great as well. When idle he will sniff the air and look around, and his run animation has a great sense of weight to it. It can look a bit silly when you're mounted and he's powerwalking to keep up, but I just found that to be endearing. When running and swimming his tail does a little wag behind him, which I thought was a great detail.

Back in the saddle again at level 55, I grabbed Rock and went down to Silithus to continue where we left off. Probably not the best place to bring a pacifist, since nearly all the quests are of the “kill 20 ____” variety, but Rock did his job with no complaint!
His colouring nearly matched the sands of Silithus, and made for some great camouflage as we went to town on nearby cultists, silithids and whatever else that got in our way.

All that fighting gave me time to get a closer look at Rock's combat prowess, animations and sounds.
Turtles have the Shell Shield ability, which reduces all damage by 50% for 12 seconds. Left on autocast, I found it to usually activate when he at 50-25% HP.
This ability, mixed with the tenacity spec, is just fantastic. I could pull far bigger groups than usually (keep in mind that I am not using heirlooms on Nhee), and elites were no problem at all. Rock did little damage otherwise, but he was an awesome tank, and allowed us to get through this combat-heavy zone with no issue.
In battle, he would snap and bite at enemies, using that big underbite of his. As far as sounds are concerned, he was a quiet pet, only making a few low growls when attacking.

Silithus came and went pretty fast, being a short zone with only a few quests. We mowed through scorpids and worms en masse, wished an Alliance hunter camping Acroniss /luck, got lost in the silithid caverns more times than I'm willing to admit, and danced on a crystal while waiting for quest mobs to respawn.

19 quests later and we were onwards to Blasted Steppes. This is not my favourite area to say the least, so I will admit that I was trying to rush through them as fast as possible. Still, Rock kept me in good company as I trudged through the Nethergarde Mines and demon-ridden swamplands, and saved my butt from some really bad pulls on multiple occasions. The mines in particular were a headache and a half, where I got lost and nearly died several times because I forgot about the boxes you could hide in.
Rock also looked absolutely great, his white scales in sharp contrast to the harsh sun and red sands. It was nice to see him in an environment like this, after two zones with similar colour schemes to his own.

And soon enough I hit 60, with the Dark Portal looming thematically in the background. We hearthed back to Orgrimmar, where Rock could get some food and a well deserved rest at the stables.
Overall, this was just a great pet, and once again I was really pleasantly surprised. This was previously my least favorite turtle skin, but he just grew on me a whole ton. As with some of my previous challenge tames, the moral of the story seems to be that a pet doesn't have to be flashy to be awesome. :)
Though he'll be taking a bit of a break for now, Rock is definitely a keeper on Nhee's team.

Outland let's go!

Name: Nhee
Level: 60
Exotics: No
Restrictions: lvl 50-60

Very excited to see what I'll get. :D

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Nhee, can you please remind me how it is we're doing your challenge? It's been so long that I can't remember. :oops: I know it has something to do with a new pet at every 10 levels. And is it specific to those levels?

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Nhee

Unread post by Nhee »

Hey, yes it's been a while hehe :)
Yes that is the gist of it, so this time I'll get a pet from 50-60, at 70 I'll get one from 60-70 and so on. Just to keep things interesting.
I might split 80-90 up into 2 parts, since those levels span over 2 expansions, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. :D

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Righto, thank you for that. And yeah, if you ever want to split it up to every 5 levels, just let me know. :)

Nhee:
Orange Hyena

::OR, since this guy is only a rare in your level range::

Two-Headed Red Vulture

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Nhee

Unread post by Nhee »

Yay :D
Since I did the report on the orange hyena on my Draenei hunter, I will go for the vulture. But to make up for that, I'll see if I can't grab the rare one in Burning Steppes. ^^

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Nhee, I just LOVE your reports! You are a great writer, and it's a downright pleasure to read about your pets. I adore Rock, though admittedly I have a huge soft spot for that turtle model. It has a lot of personality. Rhyela's got the purple/green one, and he's been with her for years. Can't wait to see what you think of the vulture! I have one myself (actually, three: two on Rhyela and one on Freida), and I think they're awesome!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: several...

Unread post by Funk »

Oooooh let's try a few of my bb hunter alts please! (Idk if you have a restriction for the # of rolls you wanna give out but any subset of my list below is gr8.)

Name: Tasha
Level: 110
Exotics: Sure.
Restrictions: None.

Name: Wreka
Level: 100

Name: Zaphod
Level: 100

Name: Desaire
Level: 93

Name: Onogi
Level: 90

Name: Soxie
Level: 27

Name: Vyndiste
Level: 13 (!!!)
Restrictions: No, and I don't mind grinding out a few levels in order to tame something. I don't mind travelling either!

Cheers!
funk#1402

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

If you really want to do that many hunters, that's fine, but I'd highly recommend making sure you've read the front page and maybe some of the other reports throughout the thread as that's more of a daunting task for yourself than for me to provide the rolls. :) That is a lot of reports to give, but if you're comfortable with it, I'll go ahead and provide the rolls.

[/center]
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

Oh, I will undoubtedly stagger the reports throughout this week and maybe next pending how busy I am IRL. I'd prefer to have them at once so I can pick what to do when I feel like it... if that makes sense.
funk#1402

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Okay sure, just wanted to make sure you were prepared for what that many rolls would entail. :) Here comes a whole slew of rolls for you then, Funk.

Funk:
Tasha:
Pink Tallstrider

Wreka:
Green Cataclysm Crocolisk

Zaphod:
Striped Orange Saber Cat

Desaire:
Blue Silkworm

Onogi:
Blue Silithid Colossus

Soxie:
Grey Gorilla

::OR::
Blue Condor

Vyndiste
Purple Hydra

::OR::
Brown Scorpid

Happy hunting! And definitely don't rush yourself through these. :)

[/center]
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

Grey Gorilla

Soxie's little adventure begins with a (apparently deadly) Turbo-Trike ride from the Barrens to Stonetalon Mountains. After getting characteristically lost several times, and flagged for PvP several more times, she was able to locate the renowned Goldenback. Note: From Malaka'jin, just ride up the Horde side of the dig site, Unearthed Grounds, and along a ledge path to get to Goldenback. I'm a doofus and got lost.
Ah yes, the pinnacle of elegance.

She nervously began her tame, apprehensive about taming such a stocky creature.
Note: The gorilla run is actually quite intimidating. He certainly looks mad.

He was, however, easily subdued. During one of several corpse runs, Soxie decided that she really, really, needed a bro. You know, someone to help her fight off swaths of Alliance NPCs beating the everliving crap out of her. After Goldenback shrunk to tamed-size, it was clear that this beast was the bro she needed, and so 'Bro' he would be called.
Here he is, being very graceful again.

With a new bro at her side, Soxie continued to her next target:
Blue Condor

The beast was only a short trike ride away, and so they began the trek.
Note: The gorilla run is a bit stiff - it looks like he has a single, unbend-able plank for each arm when he runs. The gait is otherwise appropriate for a gorilla though, I think. Bro really barrels from point A to point B with a lot of momentum. He looks like he could knock down a wall! Or, idk, a tree or something.

Only a short ride up from Sun Rock Retreat, Soxie located her next target, but the combination of the raw heat of Stonetalon Mountains and (perhaps) dying repeatedly had exhausted her. She resolved to rest, if only briefly.
Notes: I'm not sure if they always did this, but this gorilla seems very... active. He's constantly scratching his butt or thumping his chest - that last screenshot took a while to get. I find it endearing, though. The model itself, despite being old, is really full of character, and the eyes and face are pretty detailed. I also really like the idea of a big, stocky creature next to my little Goblin.

After a short break, Soxie instructed Bro to stay back while she completed her second task: the capture of a large winged jerk, called 'Arae'. She climbed a rather large rock, which apparently pissed off the thing. She wearily began her tame, and was able to capture the beast.
Note: I know I didn't have to tame Arae too, but they were near each other so I went for 'em both. Ultimately, Arae's time with Soxie was short-lived. I also forgot to get a screenshot of her/him flying in the wild. Woops!

After briefly observing her beautiful plumage, she handed Arae off to the locals, who sought to domesticate her.
Note: I never noticed it before, but the tail feathers specifically on this model are gorgeous. I wont be keeping her for Soxie, but I think I will re-tame her on my Tauren.

After saying good-bye to their new feathered 'friend', Soxie and Bro headed back to Orgrimmar to scour for more jobs. Or maybe swindle some people. Whatever makes the most gold, really.
Final notes (for now): I am certain I'll keep a gorilla for Soxie, but I'm not sure which one. I was thinking black, but then I took that last screenshot and was smitten by those blue eyes. Now I'm stuck :lol:. I was never that big on gorillas, but I recently grabbed Tsul'Kalu on my Troll, and have been warming up to them since then. I also plan on running a dungeon with Bro so I can report back on combat animations, but that will have to wait for a day or two (I will update this post when I can). Maybe I'll even play with sound and report on that (I usually don't due to sound sometimes making me dizzy, so we'll see).
funk#1402

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Your report was so cute! Don't worry about reporting on sounds if they make you dizzy. If my account were still active, Soxie and Bro make me want to try a gorilla. :lol:

[/center]
Nhee

Unread post by Nhee »

Wow, thank you so much Rhyela! That really means a lot, especially since English is my second language and I struggle a bit with writing these (or anything in English really, lol). There's been a lot going on both in and out of WoW so I haven't had much time for Nhee, but the report on the birb will be up as soon as possible!

I love the report Funk! Great screenshots, and great transmog too. I had a white gorilla on one of my hunters ages ago, and now I wanna go retame him, haha :D

Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

Thanks Nhee, I like your reports too :)

I'm putting together the others now... slowly.
funk#1402

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Nhee, I never would have guessed that English is your second language; you type it better than a lot of native speakers. :) :P

[/center]
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

I haven't hopped back onto Soxie yet, but I did spend some time running around on Onogi, so without further ado, here is my 'report' on the
Blue Silithid Colossus.

Note: this one will be less of a cohesive story, I think.

I dusted off Onogi, who had been neglected for some time, and headed to Tanaris. When levelling her previously I fell in love with the look of Shale Spiders by her side, and really any bug-like creature, so I knew that the Silithid wouldn't be a problem. What I didn't predict was that taming this Silithid would really solidify the fact that I love Onogi with bugs. So, this report isn't just on the Silithid tank, but also a few other bugs too.

I quickly found her target.

The tame was not problematic, given that Onogi greatly out-levels the zone.
Note: pictured above are typical combat animations.

I decided that this big doof needed a silly name, and I'm not sure if it was because I was hungry or not, but I decided on 'Jellybean'.

With Jellybean in tow, I now had to think of something to do. I spent a while running and hopping around like an idiot. Here's a good running shot of Onogi and Jellybean:

After a bit of time-wasting, I ran into this dude, who looked... injured. I mean, I know its just their usual animation, but dang did he ever look pathetic. I sent Jellybean away, just for a few minutes, so I could get closer.

Just when I thought, 'Okay, fine, Jellybean can have a friend!', I realized I had been bamboozled.
He's fine, everyone.

I called out Jellybean and we set off do more of, well, nothing.

I decided that Onogi needs a transmog to match Jellybean, so we headed to Orgrimmar. Note: I actually changed this 'mog several times throughout my adventures with Onogi.

From there, we set off for Pandaria to grab some screenshots in varying lighting. The Slithid colossi, and actually most of the older bug models, have beautiful colours.

It was around this time that something clicked in my head and I decided that Onogi needs an army of bugs. So Jellybean and Onogi set off again, this time with some purpose. I also managed to grab some screenshots in different lighting, which was a bonus.

After getting a screenshot of Jellybean looking cool, I grabbed Onogi's first bug (sans Jellybean) of the current adventure:

And then, after heading back to Kalimdor, a second:

I then took Onogi and her fledgling bug army back to Tanaris - I really like the lighting there, so I wanted some screenshots.

First, here's Jellybean again:
His colours really are beautiful. The thing that really sells this model is the colours, I think. The combat animations (pictured close to the beginning of this post) are also pretty great. That said, I've never really gotten attached to it.

Here are some more bugs:
The beetles are gorgeous and have a lot of character.

Apparently, though, that wasn't enough, so I set off with Onogi and Jellybean to tame another beetle:
It's okay, he's just hugging me.

Of course, Onogi's bug army needs more than just beetles, so scoped out some scorpids. Are scorpions even bugs? I'm a math person not a biology person so I really don't know. In my mind, they're bugs, so they're part of the bug army.

Anyways, I flew to Uldum, and saw a pal:

I darted around a grabbed a few more beetle and scorpion pals, and then headed to Tanaris to check them all out.
(I wont post the screenshots here since I'm reporting on a member of the old scorpid model with Vyndiste.)

I was about to head out to wrangle some wasps, but I realized that I had been seriously neglecting poor Jellybean, so I decided to power through the introductory quests in Draenor with him.

He looked pretty badass near the Dark Portal.

I'm not sure what happened here but he just wouldn't follow me. He ended up teleporting to me a few seconds later, though.

The dark portal looked really cool.

I got Onogi stuck in a tree and Jellybean decided to pretend that he, too, was stuck.

After getting unstuck and finishing the introductory quests, I decided that Onogi's time with Jellybean was done... sorta.

I happily introduce Jellybean 2.0:
(The colours remind me of a Jelly Belly jellybean, specifically.)

Overall, the Silithid Colossus really is a nice model, despite being kinda dated. All versions (not just the blue) have gorgeous colours and pretty awesome attack animations. They're also great if you like a big pet. It's really just a model I have never been able to get attached to. It's worth noting, though, that taming the original Jellybean set me off on a very fun, bug-filled journey, so that was pretty cool. I also think Jellybean must have been good luck, because I found Madexx and Lightning Paw with him in my first pet slot ;).
funk#1402

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Scorpids are technically arachnids, not sure what relation arachnids have to insects, if any, as I am afraid of them all. :lol:

Loved your report though! Jellybean is adorable, but I think the white beetle is my favorite with Onogi! That color just pops so well next to your tauren.

[/center]
Funk
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Funk »

Striped Orange Saber Cat

-

Okay, so I had this really cute story in my head about Zaphod taming Shango and going out in search of dragon friends for Shango, but it became super awkward trying to get screenshots to work out since Zaphod can't 'mog Hati yet. Ah, well. Failing at my original plan, I'm pretty much just going to share screenshots with brief descriptions and include a conclusion at the end.

I kept the name 'Shango'. Also, I forgot about Hati. Apparently Hati is coming on this adventure too. :lol:

Apparently Shango leaves no pawprints? I'm honestly not sure if other cats w/ the same model don't as well. I never noticed. I might check later.

Hati kept getting stoked about Titan machinery. :lol:

This was a really nice view.

At this point I decided that Shango needed a buddy to play with, and what better than a dragon? Time to go to Un'Goro!

Failing to remember how to get that Titan waygate working, I hearthed back to new Dalaran and took the portal to Caverns of Time.

Action shots!

I found a 'dragon' friend for Shango:
He's not attacking, he's dancing, okay?

Then I remembered that Zaphod is only level 100 and cant 'mog over Hati yet... woops. So much for having Shango and his new dragon pal out together.

Anyways, here's more of Shango in Un'Goro's lighting:
His eyes are beautiful here.

Close up!

We headed to Netherstorm to grab another 'dragon', failing to find the black one in Un'Goro.

Those shoulders. Dang.

Found one!

A couple more Shango shots in Netherstorm:
Oh... That's quite the mouth.

Overall, I love the saber cat model, but it's really boxy. The fighting animations are fine - pretty much the same as any other cat model (unless I'm forgetting some). Still, I recommend people to try out the old saber cat model if they haven't already. The orange skin (only available on Shango) is really gorgeous and detailed and has aged well. I actually like it a bit more than the higher-res Pandaria tiger, since I love the saber fangs and big paws. Cats also come with a stealth as their bonus ability, which admittedly I don't use much, but is worth noting. Zaphod will probably keep Shango in his stables as he doesn't really have any specific theme to him, and I like the model despite its age. I might eventually change the name to something other than 'Shango' though.
funk#1402

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I think I'd like to do another on Rhyela. Unfortunately, I more or less quit playing Dansen, who I was previously doing the reports on. I've dusted off Rhyela and have started farting around on her, so I wouldn't mind another roll for something to do!

Name: Rhyela
Level: 110
Spec: BM (yep, finally decided to suck it up and go BM again)
Exotics: Yes
Restrictions: It seems like I've gotten a lot of spiders lately, so no spiders I guess. Rhyela also does not have the Feathermane and Mechanical tomes, so I can't tame those families.

Thankee!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Sorry, I've had this open and forgot to post your roll. I'm tired and not feeling real hot; I'll get it up for you tomorrow night. :)

[/center]