Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 8: Dragonhawks!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 8: Dragonhawks!

Unread post by Wassa »

Former threads:
Moths - Warp Stalkers - Crocolisks - Monkeys - Wolves - Core Hounds - Wasps

Random pet family appreciation thread is where I roll a random pet family every week for everyone to share their pictures, their stories, their love for that pet family. Please no hate or rants. This is an appreciation thread. If you dislike the family, don't post! Hopefully with some love we can get some hunters to try out new pets they never would have thought to tame before.

Our eighth family is the blazing Dragonhawk family!

Dragonhawk facts

~Dragonhawks where introduced as a tameable family in Burning Crusade.

~Dragonhawks have six tameable skins.

~Dragonhawks have no rare members.

~Dragonhawks have no unique skinned named members.

~Dragonhawks have three untameable skins which are dragonhawkskin06 (grey), dragonhawkskin07 (black), and dragonhawksunreavermount (armored).

~Back in Wrath, dragonhawks were tamed by 0.6% of level 80 hunters. Placing them at number 18 on the list. (Source)

~Back in Wrath, dragonhawkskin03 (pink) was the most tamed skin at 39.0%. Dragonhawkskin05 (red) was the least tamed skin at 12.7%. (Source)

~Dragonhawk's special move, Fire Breath, used to just cause fire damage and put a fire damage dot on the target.

~Dragonhawk mounts are some of the most difficult mounts to acquire. Two colors are for the achievement of having 100 mounts on one character: Blue Dragonhawk (alliance) and Red Dragonhawk (horde). Sunreaver Dragonhawk is the untameable armored skin that is available to horde only and takes many days of dailies to unlock. What to get a dragonhawk mount quicker? Try the Amani Dragonhawk, but that's from a TCG loot card only.

~A Black Dragonhawk Mount was datamined in late Burning Crusade. However, this might not be a mount for players, but for the Dawnblade Hawkriders which ride a Dawnblade Dragonhawk. When the rider is killed so is the dragonhawk, making it untameable.

~Thankfully the dragonhawk minipets are much easier to get. Blue Dragonhawk Hatchling, Golden Dragonhawk Hatchling, Red Dragonhawk Hatchling, and Silver Dragonhawk Hatchling are all available from vendors.

~The two orange dragonhawk skins look very similar, but dragonhawkskin01 is much brighter and has more contrast than dragonhawkskin.

~Three dragonhawk skins are tameable only within instances. These are dragonhawkskin02 (yellow), dragonhawkskin04 (blue), and dragonhawkskin05 (red). Since dragonhawks have no rares or unique skinned named members, these three colors are favored by hunters looking for "rarer" skins.

~The dragonhawks found at horde flight paths used to be tameable by alliance only. When the Sunreaver Dragonhawk was changed to it's new armored skin they where made untameable. Former tamed flightpath dragonhawks did not change to this skin.

~Dragonhawks had a bad rap in Burning Crusade. Most suffered from "caster stats" where they retained their high int but lower melee dps after taming.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Melentari
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 8: Dragonhawks!

Unread post by Melentari »

I run as Surv more often than not, so I have one of the Bloodfalcons. I really want one of the yellow dragonhawks from Zul'Aman, though, and I'm going to get one someday, dangit.

I love how they're so fluttery and almost delicate-seeming. Don't get me wrong. Sometimes the width of the wings is frustrating because they seem to get in the way of everything, but I really do like looking at them when they're not in the way and when the flap-flap sounds aren't annoying me.

Melentari and Tevildo - she tamed him a long time ago.

starkittens
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: mok'nathal, Runetotem, and a couple others

Unread post by starkittens »

Dragon hawks! I always have one, on every hunter! on my troll, I have my pink one from The Eye, Bacardii, and on my main, I have Icefire, my blue dragon hawk! I love them to death! my next hunter will either have the yellow or the orange..haven't decided yet.

The burns of a fire may heal with time
but the burns from our love will never heal, even as the years pass on
{My Magistream Keep}{My DA}{My DC scroll}

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I love these guys! I cant ever pick which is my favorite! Blue, Pink, or Yellow/pink!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Yeee dragonhawks! I have one, his name is Thoridal!
Thoridal first started out on my Worgen hunter, Espen. I tamed him just sort of on a whim, and named him Thoridal as a sort of joke because, oh hey we're in this raid for a Thori'dal drop so why not.
Well, then Thori'dal dropped.
I was shocked, an since I have the belief that certain pets bring certain luck, I thanked him for the amazing luck. This was our second Thori'dal drop (I run it with a group every week) but we hadn't seen it drop in quite a while! So the next week I get Thoridal (the dragonhawk not the bow!) on Mia. The bow didn't drop, but two weeks in a row? That'd be some crazy luck. But then I bring Thoridal in the week after, and the bow drops again! Pretty much, ever since I tamed this dragonhawk, we've had bows dropping left and right!
And he was there for the bow I won, of course. <3
Now including our first bow drop way back when, he has only missed two out of.... (honestly I need to check with my boyfriend to see how many bows we've had drop, it's been a lot though).
And of course, I love my matching dragonhawk family of awesome. :P
Attachments
MiaThoridal.jpg
MiaThoridal.jpg (124.9 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
DragonhawkFamily.jpg
DragonhawkFamily.jpg (186.74 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
Thoridal.jpg
Thoridal.jpg (139.65 KiB) Viewed 3135 times

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

I'm a huge fan of dragonhawks, I really love how fluttery and elegant they are, and the colours are so vibrant also.
Last edited by Mozag on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I love my Dragonhawks :hug:

My huntress Auroryn currently has 5 in her stable:

1. Valefor

2. Ember

3. Kindle

4. Hyacinth

5. Azalea

I find all of their color combinations mesmerizing and gorgeous! It's difficult to not fall in love with one once you've tried them!
Last edited by Niabi on Fri May 23, 2014 1:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

For as much as I love dragonhawks, I seem to have only found one that really clicks with one of my hunters, and that is Hotwings, which is Ruffley's Orange and Red dragonhawk.

I just utterly adore this guy. I've never been attracted to this color before but he perfect fit Ruffley's theme and he's just beautiful to look at and watch. Also, ignore my hunter's ugly green boots; still in the process of getting her proper transmog boots. xD

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I tamed a golden dragonhawk to match Tårnfalks red/yellow gear. GoldenWonder is the hawks name. She is named after a Sort Sol song; Sort Sol is a Danish band.

She is a beautifull pet which i really love to run with especially when i run around in a matching set. Usually the pets I tame to match my gear doenst get a spot in my stables but GoldenWonder won my heart :hug:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

JezzebelPop
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alonsus

Unread post by JezzebelPop »

I had two Dragonhawks, the first one was my Blue Dragonhawk from Sunwell. I died a mere second after the tame finished so I was pleased. Out of all the Dragonhawks I was attracted to this one because it's the only one with a cold colour scheme. the others are all warm coloured.
I ended up releasing him though because he never saw the light of day and I had a new Dragonhawk which I bonded with a lot better. But I did make sure to get a family photo before saying goodbye.

The Dragonhawk I still have is an Amani Dragonhawk who was tamed after the run was finished and I was exploring the area. I found a group of Trolls and Dragonhawks that we had left out so edged close and hit tame. I died as a result like with my blue one but I had my new friend!

I apologise for the SS. There were better ones but I think they got deleted off my laptop =/ So this is the only pic I have.
It also shows the main reason why I wanted to tame one in the first place, my lovely mount which was a lucky draw from a pack and a present from my fiance. It's my most used mount so I just HAD to have the pet to go with it. Wish there was a companion pet to match.

I still don't have a name for it, I'm not even sure which gender shines through more :p any ideas are welcome! xD

I adore Dragonhawks in general, they don't have a rare skin or named mob to tame but they are rare in themselves as you have to go fairly far afield to find them. The only thing that bothers me is, do they ever get tired? If they do how do they sit down? They look so delicate it's hard to imagine one curled up on the floor.

Now hopefully we get a Black DH mount or pet as they are lovely too... but i'd probably get that on an alt.
Galaxy
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Galaxy »

LOVE her!!!!!!!!!!!! Solo'd to tame her! :) Keeping her!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>.>

That sums it up...

Epic Sig by the Epic CandidHeartbeat <3
Azerothian Days

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

It's about time I get off my lazy butt and post on more of these.

I've always been a fan of dragonhawks, but for a long time, they were one of those families that were hard for me to actually tame and keep for more than five minutes before throwing my arms up in resignation and releasing them. Then, I tamed the blue dragonhawk on my alt, Zerai, and I actually clicked with her. I currently have no screenshots of Donia, but when I do, I'll come back and update this post.

I do have screenshots of Shuurai's two dragonhawks, Cloak and Dagger (Manas and Sunwing respectively), along with stories of why I tamed them.

First up, Cloak.

When the first patch for MoP hit, and a plethora of new rares were introduced to Azeroth, I knew that I wanted to tame Sunwing while I had little interest in his lighter-hued sister, Manas. A fellow hunter told me that the first Manas spawn ended up being killed out of spite by someone else, and that made me feel sad, but at that time, I was still after Sunwing. Still, what I'd been told remained at the back of my mind, and a day or so later, I still hadn't tamed Sunwing. My good friend, Kyria, and I were touring Azeroth looking at the new rares, and she told me that Manas was up. I flew down to where she spawns in Owl Wing Thicket, and after seeing her for myself in-game, I noticed how beautiful she was. I asked Kyria to keep an eye on her for me, while I flew back to Everlook to stable a pet in order to make room.

When I came back, I saw that Kyria had tagged Manas by having her attack the pet she had out with her (ironically Sunwing) before she finally trapped her and feigned so I could tame. She ended up taking the name I'd originally intended to give to Sunwing: Cloak, and it fit. Cloak is generally quiet, calm, and prefers to observe the goings-on around her, but she's a capable fighter in her own right. I was happy with her, and I realized that I actually preferred her over Sunwing, but then, Kyria said something that was a rather intriguing idea:

"If you decide to try for Sunwing again, you could have Cloak and Dagger, the dragonhawks."

Next up, Cloak's brother, Dagger.

Even though I was happy with Cloak, part of me still wanted Sunwing, even though I now had no room in my stables. A few days later, when things were finally starting to wind down, Kyria and I were in the Burning Steppes, and you know that cold feeling that comes over you when you know that something's happening? I happened to get just that when Kyria offered to go check on Sunwing for me. I was nervous, but I said 'sure, why not?'. OF COURSE, he was up when I had no room for him. And after a moment of thinking, I asked her to watch him for me, while I raced to the nearest stable master and released one of my silithids to make room. Thankfully, nobody else showed up when I flew back, and Kyria had allowed Sunwing to attack her, and she'd pulled him high into the sky. When I got back, she brought him back down, froze him, and feigned, and I finally had Sunwing. As she'd suggested, I named him Dagger, and it fit much better than Cloak would have.

Unlike his sister, Dagger is sly, and a show-off. He loves sneaking up behind Shuurai and pecking her on the shoulder, and he loves to blow smoke rings and jump through them. His personality reflects the trouble I had with finding and taming him, since three times before I finally got him, I'd ended up missing him by mere MINUTES, and I now know that was something he did on purpose just to mess with me. XD

I absolutely love these two.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I've had a few dragonhawks in my time and have tamed all the colours aside from Manas. However, the one I fell in love with was Zanzil. (Imagine I placed a screenshot of the amani dragonhawk here) he's named after the troll Zanzil, who was known for having no friends and bringing back the dead, simply because my Zanzil struck me as the same kind of personality as the original Zanzil. Crazy. Scheming. Outright loony. So, Zanzil stays with me. He's not used as much simply because he's so crazy he'll carry off his owner and drop her off ledges, just for a laugh. He's also got a darker side, one of my few pets that does, and is known for incredibly violent behaviour. We can't have him trying to tear apart Vol'Jin, the new warcheif, now can we?
I've got Duskwing too (pretend there's a black dragonhawk screenshot here) who I tamed at a whim. I liked the look of him, but wasn't sure. After I did tame him, I realised how pretty he was. So, Duskwing stays with me. He's cool, calm and collected (oh my English teachers would be proud of that alliteration and power of three :lol: ) He's also deadly. The calculating type, he'll struck from the shadows and easily overpower many foes. He's unused much, simply because he's too frail for some of the more current content. I also find he can't hold aggro well, which has resulted in me running from giant frogs many times. Zanzil can do this job tho, if he didn't try to eat the frogs afterwards...