Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 12: Bears!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 12: Bears!

Unread post by Wassa »

Former threads:
Moths - Warp Stalkers - Crocolisks - Monkeys - Wolves - Core Hounds - Wasps - Dragonhawks - Turtles - Boars - Carrion Birds

Random pet family appreciation thread is where I roll a random pet family every week for everyone to share their pictures, their stories, their love for that pet family. Please no hate or rants. This is an appreciation thread. If you dislike the family, don't post! Hopefully with some love we can get some hunters to try out new pets they never would have thought to tame before.

Our 12th family is the bulky bear family!
Image from WoW TCG.

Bear facts

~Bears have been a tameable family since Vanilla WoW.

~Bears have 10 tameable skin colors.

~Bears have 5 rare members: Big Samras, Bjarn, Mongress, Old Grizzlegut, and Ursol'lok.

~Bears have no unique skinned named members.

~Back in Wrath, bears were tamed by 5.5% of level 80 hunters. Placing them at number 4 on the list, tied with devilsaurs. (Source)

~Back in Wrath, bearskinwhite was the most tamed skin at 50.6%. Bearskinblackdiseased was the least tamed skin at 2.1%. (Source)

~Bears used to make great aoe tanks with having the move Swipe.

~While the bear's bonus ability Rest is just for show now, it used to restore pet happiness. With a bear, you never had to feed it any food to keep it happy as long as you gave it plenty of rest.

~Many different bear mounts exist in game and are attainable in many different ways. From the purchasable Armored Brown Bear and Darkmoon Dancing Bear (that really dances!), to the PvP achievement reward Black War Bear, and to the dailies lootable White Polar Bear. Amani War Bear and Amani Battle Bear are drops from Zul'Aman (the former being a retired mount and no longer attainable). The Big Battle Bear is a TCG loot card mount. Big Blizzard Bear was a Blizzcon 2008 reward mount.

~Dun Morogh Cub matches perfectly with tameable bears using bearskinblack. Two other more adorable bear cubs minipets are Baby Blizzard Bear and Hyjal Bear Cub.

~Older players probably remember that bears used to never close their mouths, ever. Now bears only open them in combat and certain other animations.

~Consumed Thistle Bear can be tamed with a consuming purple mist as a permanent appearance buff.

~Amani Bear was tameable during patch 2.3.0 PTR. Their tameability never made it to live servers.

~Arctic Grizzly Cub was tameable for a short while during Wrath of the Lich King beta.

~Elder Ashenvale Bears were bugged and labeled as exotic beasts in early Wrath.

~Infested Bears have spider egg sacs growing from their back. Thankfully, they do not keep the actual egg sacs once tamed.

~A younger version of Big Samras exists inside the Old Hillsbrad Foothills instance.

~Old Vicejaw is a former rare of the bear family. It seems he passed away during the Shattering.

~Bears were the only pet family that had slower than 2.0 attack speed back in Vanilla WoW. Three bears that had these slower, but more damaging hits were Ursius (2.4), Young Forest Bear (2.5) and Black Bear (2.5). The Black Bear was relatively unknown as it was only found at the Ironforge Airport which required a bit of wall walking to get to. Screenshots of it Wild / Tamed.
Last edited by Wassa on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 12: Bears!

Unread post by Wassa »

I didn't want to tame this bear.

Every arctic/white themed hunter has a polar bear. "No," I told myself. "I won't have one too. I'll be different!"

I failed at level 18 when I went to tame Lord Condar and he wasn't up. I ended up wandering a bit further into alliance lands and tamed Mangeclaw.

And I loved him.

Ealahweemah has been Ptaysanwee's main tanking pet since. His name is Nez Perce for "sleep" after the bear's rest ability, which I used a lot leveling up since it restored happiness back then. Ealah is a lazy bear that lives up to his name and loves to nap.

I also have a Consumed Thistle Bear with the purple mist buff on a low level hunter. As one of the more "unknown" permanent appearance buff pets, he's gotten quite a few whispers.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Bear fan right here! Who doesn't love a massive, snarling, over-grown teddy bear for a pet!?
I adore the pic in the opening post btw! Sleeping bear is so sleepy ... d'awe!

I have 4 of 'em spread across my various hunters:

Khau's bear is Kahlua.

Niabi's bear is Sumehra.

Ghiselle's bear is Huggins.

and Synestra's diseased bear is Fester.
Last edited by Niabi on Fri May 23, 2014 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Melentari
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Melentari »

My Belf hunter has a bear named Bronzefur. I got him just for the sake of tanking, and between him and Fireflare, my belf's tamed Terrorpene, they're all the tank he'll ever need.

But there is a bear mount that wasn't listed: the Big Blizzard Bear that was given out at BlizzCon 2008: http://www.wowhead.com/item=43599

Melentari and Tevildo - she tamed him a long time ago.

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Melentari wrote:But there is a bear mount that wasn't listed: the Big Blizzard Bear that was given out at BlizzCon 2008: http://www.wowhead.com/item=43599
Added. Thanks.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Bears are kind of a hit or miss pet with me. They have a few model flaws, but overall I tend to like them well enough. And it was a bear that helped one of my low level hunters solo Deadmines, starting at level 18 and progressing to level 20, with no BoA gear just to get a parrot for a pet challenge. xD

Currently only one of my hunters has a bear, and that's Tsara. :)
He deviates away from the largely teal theme I have going on with Tsara, but he and his pretty blue eyes still seem to match her. Not that it's super hard for Alliance, but it was a little bit of a hike to get to Bjarn out in Dun Morogh, and for a low level rare, I remember him taking a little while before he showed up. xD

Baneberry is a great big ol' cuddly bear that's super protective of Tsara. I'm hoping that we'll be able to choose pet talent specs for MoP as Tsara is generating quite the tenacity pet collection. :lol:

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Almost all of my hunters have bears, they are wonderful tanks and were very helpful for the critter kill achievement :) I also like them because I am fond of druid tanks.
CandidHeartbeat
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Thrall-US [Horde], Moon Guard-US [Alliance]

Unread post by CandidHeartbeat »

Well, since Orso is one of my favorite little pets to carry around and to use as a tank.
I don't have a recent picture mainly because I am too lazy and in the midst of travelling around!
However I have an older picture of him, he's still one of my favorites.

EDIT:
Updated picture :hug:
Last edited by CandidHeartbeat on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I love zombie pets, and the diseased black bear was a model I was obsessed with since starting the game.

I tamed the 'Welcome Bear' years back from the entrance of the Western Plaguelands, named due to its proximity to Tirisfal and usually the mob that would decimate any newbies that wandered too close to the Bulwark.

He became my Grudge, and over time he developed one of the most in-depth back stories out of all my my pets. (If anyone wants to read more about him I've written some of his story in my journal in these two entries: Part 1, Part 2)

Grudge had a long break during WotLK when I didn't have room to keep him, but he was the first pet I went and retamed once we got our 25 stable slots.

He's never leaving my stables again. :)

Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

My orc has one of the white bears. He has Lars since Lichking as his tanking buddy. Lars is one of Morga's permanent pets. He would never exchange him or tame an other bear. Lars has protected Morga through many adventures and is one of the pets I bonded closest with.
Here is a pic of Morga and Lars while questing in Stormpeaks during wotlk.
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_112709_164435.jpg
WoWScrnShot_112709_164435.jpg (151.89 KiB) Viewed 4322 times

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

I love the WoW bears! White Lady on my main is one of my favorite pets. I found her in Winterspring. She was a whim tame that totally stuck. Lucius is my alt's bear and he came from Dun Morgh. He was so tiny and cute as a little lvl 10 bear!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Ohh bears :hug:

Tårnfalks latest pet is to my own surprise an undead bear... but i do like him alot :D Meet Ribeye

Kahluas bear is a female. Brandy is huggleable eventhough she looks like she wants to rib you appart :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

This is a tale about Estulan the bear.

A while back I was leveling my 4th hunter, Syleanora, through Feralas. I was having fun protecting my Night Elven lands and all that when suddenly, something in a tree catches my eye..
It was a bear. An Ironfur Bear to be exact.

I think "What an odd place for an Ironfur Bear to be." and move up to get a closer look.

I get a little bit closer and...
OGODHE'SONMYFACE.

So then he starts whailing on me and I just sit there and watch him for a bit, along with my faithful Moonsaber Tanavar.

Now, normally I do not appreciate this color of bear. the red eyes and blue face used to weird me out a whole bunch. But this bear was special. He has the potential to change my view on his kind. So after much though, I dismounted, dismissed Tanavar, and began to tame.

I named him Estulan, after the Highborne and his tower close by. It was an instant bond. He's such a great bear. He loves life, and high places. :P

And sleeping. But what bear doesn't love sleeping??

Syleanora is very happy with her tree bear. <3

The End. ^.^
Attachments
Estulan1.jpg
Estulan1.jpg (77.08 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
Estulan2.jpg
Estulan2.jpg (83.92 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
Estulan3.jpg
Estulan3.jpg (69.48 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
Estulan4.jpg
Estulan4.jpg (57.78 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
Estulan5.jpg
Estulan5.jpg (106.32 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
Estulan6.jpg
Estulan6.jpg (101.81 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
Estulan7.jpg
Estulan7.jpg (66.74 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
Estulan8.jpg
Estulan8.jpg (80.9 KiB) Viewed 4322 times

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Measa
Realm: Eldre'thalas

Unread post by Measa »

Havnt got a a bear on my main, The alt Hunter did grab one from western plagelands some time back and named her Hel. After the Norse goddess of death and ruler of the realm of the dead.

There's no real story to why I named her. Just when questing in Western plaglands I came up and saw her. Havning not run with a bear before I figured "Why not". Hel became my Tanking pet till outlands when I got to hellfire and said, "I NEED A FEL BOAR!" But not having the heart to release Hel I gave her a nice spot in my stables.
Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

I love bears. Both in real life as well as in-game. The model took some getting used to for me in the beginning, but once I saw that silly bumbling run and the huge butt on my first Nelf hunter's first bear, I fell in love. Needless to say, I have a lot of them across several hunters.

It all started with this black bear here. Originally, this lovely teddy was my Nelf Lomelinda's level 10 first tanking pet called Snapdragon. The black skin is probably my favourite, and it was an obvious choice as I'd never had a bear before. They leveled together up to 30 or so, and while I loved the bear a lot, I knew that he didn't suit her intended stable theme. Eventually, after a bit of a wrench, we parted ways. Since then, I've had some troubles finding a new home for the black bear, and he has protected many different races. Finally I think I"ve found his forever home. Bears and Dwarves go together perfectly, and my half Dark Iron Eadgyth was more than happy to give Coal a home. I was ashamed I didn't see the connection sooner!
Last edited by Mozag on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

I never planned for Rassaa to have a bear. I never really liked bears, with their rolly-polly run animations and too-small size. They just seemed weird. But I was adventuring one day and stumbled upon the Whispering Grove (whispering forest? Can't remember.)… And was enchanted. All those plagued animals running and playing, like they're really perfectly healthy. I imagined that the Faerie dragons congregated to quell the plague, protecting all the animals that lived there. If the animals left, therefore, they'd die from the plague.
As I was about to leave, I looked down and saw a lonely bear. He was all on his own, slowly wandering from the elk-filled forest back to his little home on the cliff edge. It seemed like he was the only bear to make it to the grove- perhaps the rest of his family was lost to the plague. He seemed lonely and without purpose, so I tamed him and named him Torn.

I soon encountered a problem. Torn would die if he left for too long. I like to think, therefor, that Rassaa goes back to the grove every time the Faerie Dragons sing, making sure Torn stays safe from the plague that festers within him.

Come MoP, Torn will become Ferocity. It just seems to fit him better.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

What a lovely story about Torn! I really enjoyed reading that. :)
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

That was a sweet story about Torn. :)

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Mustasch
Realm: Earthen Ring

Unread post by Mustasch »

i have tamed every color of bear, never really liked them until i got Arcturis on my first hunter to get to 74. when i got him, i had been waiting for him about 2hrs, when a troll hunter and dwarf hunter both rolled up within about 15mins. after a half hour Arcturis finally showed up...the dwarf (at the time my tauren was a night elf) told me he was going to flag and fight the troll for it, since whoever started taming him first the other would kill it; then the troll flagged. this whole time i stayed silent, not replying to the dwarf, him apparently thinking i was going to just sit back and watch what he did and expect me to let the spirit beast go to him if he beat the troll.

their fight took them across the river to the small islands in the middle; i waited until they were completely into their fight n wouldnt notice....arcturis came within about, say, 20yards from my toon and i could not pass this up, i immediately tamed him. then strolled over to the river as the troll died, waved to the dwarf and got a rude gesture and comment i wont post here back, and laughed my butt off as i flew happily away with my first spirit beast. that picture i posted when i joined here as a Tauren and my Spirit Beast bear? thats the bear, Keelaunaw.

heres one i thought youd like, from MoP beta with my premade panda hunter: The Three Bears; my panda Bearly, my just tamed spirit bear Cheveyo (meaning 'spirit warrior'), and my black warbear mount...
Attachments
The Three Bears.jpg
The Three Bears.jpg (238.52 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Lol, did they really expect you to just sit there and wait until the victor emerged? Not to mention that you had already been waiting. At least they know that their arrogance cost them a pet. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.