Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 17: Ravagers!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 17: Ravagers!

Unread post by Wassa »

Former threads:
Moths - Warp Stalkers - Crocolisks - Monkeys - Wolves - Core Hounds - Wasps - Dragonhawks - Turtles - Boars - Carrion Birds - Bears - Serpents - Tallstriders - Worms - Dogs

Random pet family appreciation thread is where I roll a random pet family every week for everyone to share their pictures, their stories, their love for that pet family. Please no hate or rants. This is an appreciation thread. If you dislike the family, don't post! Hopefully with some love we can get some hunters to try out new pets they never would have thought to tame before.

Our 17th family is the bizarre ravager family!

Ravager facts

~Ravagers where introduced as a beast and tameable family in Burning Crusade.

~Ravagers are called crawlers in the game files. The "extra spiky" ravagers are known as elite crawlers.

~Ravagers have two models and 14 tameable skins.

~Ravagers have no rare members.

~Death Ravager is the only unique skinned named member with a green and teal skin.

~All ravager skins are unique to one NPC. Exceptions are crawlergreen and crawlerorange, however only one ravager with either of those skins can be tamed. The others that share a skin cannot be tamed.

~Crawlervar3 (orange and pink) is a currently unused skin of the family.

~Razorthorn Ravager is a retired member of the family. They are involved with Shattered Sun Offensive daily Discovering Your Roots where any player could "tame" one to dig up quest items. This probably caused some issues and they where made untameable shortly afterwards.

~Death Ravager is a former retired member of the family. Before Cataclysm he was the only ravager with crawlerpurple as a stable color. Death Ravager was originally summoned with the warrior quest Strength of One. He was bugged similarly to how Gezzarak the Huntress was bugged where he could not attack other players in PvP, could not be misdirected and could only be healed by mend pet. These problems lead to him becoming retired. Later on in Cataclysm Death Ravager changed to a new skin and was made tameable a patch later with his bugs fixed. He no longer needs a quest to be summoned as well.

~Ravagers currently have no color changers. However, before Cataclysm Rip-Blade Ravager was a very popular ravager that was three different colors.

~Back in Wrath, ravagers were tamed by 1.8% of level 80 hunters. Placing them at number 11 on the list, tied with boars. (Source)

~Back in Wrath, crawlerorange was the most tamed skin at 19.2%. Crawlerpurple was the least tamed skin at 0.2%, due to that skin being retired at the time. Rip-Blade Ravager with it's color changing skin made up 15.1% of tamed ravagers.(Source)

~Gore used to cause damage and that damage was increased if used after Charge. This ability made ravagers the top dps pet in Burning Crusade (until the hunter got +30% crit then wind serpents topped damage). Ravagers shared this ability with boars until the end of BC. In Wrath ravagers got Ravage which used to stun the target.

~While normal ravagers and the elite ravagers have different skin files, they can be interchanged creating a rainbow of elite ravager looks.

~Quillfang Skitterers used to have a super fast walk animations, unique to it. This "skit" seems to have been given to all ravagers now.

~Lost Ravagers where a color changers in Cataclysm beta. This never made it to live, but on the character selection screen and in the stable they will still appear with crawlervar2 (orange and purple) skin.
Last edited by Wassa on Sat May 05, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 17: Ravagers!

Unread post by Wassa »

I used to hate ravagers back in Burning Crusade when every hunter "had" to have one. With having only three stable slots and no ravager skins back then that I liked, I refused to tame one. I didn't really hate their look. I love their idle animations and fierce looking eyes of both models. I just didn't want to give up a precious stable slot for one.

It wasn't until Cataclysm with the extended stables that I tamed a ravager. I originally tamed a Quillfang Skitterer just for the fact they had a cute skittering walk. I wasn't too happy with the color but he was cute. I named him Vakasa meaning "to roam or meander; nomad" in some African language, since these guys would spasticly roam around their spawn area. The ravager color I really wanted was the teal skin, which Death Ravager was just changed too but he was still untameable. Thankfully, the very next patch my dream ravager color became tameable. I don't know if Noah was behind that, but if he was thank you. Soon after I downloaded the patch I snuck my way onto Azuremyst Isle to free this poor ravager which would be the new Vakasa.

While I usually have pictures of my pets and hunter together, Vakasa is that type of pet Wassa doesn't want to get too close to. This Vakasa is a grumpy old ravager that wasn't even the least bit glad Wassa freed him from his cage the draenei put him in. He attacked her! Still wild and aggressive, he and Wassa have an uneasy alliance between each other.

Ptaysanwee's ravager I'm not too bonded with. I mostly tamed her just to cover any missing buffs when I'm not BM. In fact, this pet doesn't match with Ptay's stable theme at all. This isn't an arctic pet; she's from the Outland and my only pet I tamed from there. Most of Ptay's pets are white in color, but she's black. She's the complete opposite of all my other pets. Why do I have this pet?

Well, the fact that she is so different from the rest of my pets makes me hold onto her. I gave her the name Cocheta which means "stranger; that you cannot imagine." To a Taunka, anything from Outlands is very very strange. Cocheta is almost like an overprotective mother to Ptay. Very sweet, gentle, and loving to her, but if anyone else gets near Ptay with Cocheta around you better watch out.

I also have a Bloodmyst Hatchling on an alt, only because that skin is so puke color ugly to me that I had to tame it. I've never seen anyone else use that skin in game.
Last edited by Wassa on Sat May 19, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I remember when TBC first came out I wasn't very fond of ravagers. Since I've never been too attached to space themes, I felt that they were just...too alien and strange for my tastes. I didn't think I'd like them at all.

That changed, however, when I decided to tame one of the "elite" purple models after giving it some thought. I had seen other hunters running around with ravagers, and seeing them in the wild in Hellfire Peninsula I thought they looked pretty cool after all. The big models were my favourite, I just couldn't ignore those wicked glowing eyes and extra spikes.

I named mine Naraku, which means hell in Japanese. It just seemed like the perfect name for this chaotic beast. He became my leveling pet through much of Outland. After a while I realized I honestly loved him, he was just so awesome looking and fierce.

I imagine Naraku to be in a constant state of barely-restrained-frenzy. He tolerates me, only a little, and even then he can be a handful. He's just this being of raw anger and energy and a thirst to kill. I love him for it though, he's my little hell beast. <3

I count Naraku to be among some of my closest pets. The bond is very strong after all the time we've spent together, and it only strengthened after having him missing from my stables for almost all of WotLK. Getting him back was a very nostalgic moment, and I'm happy he's now returned permanently. :)

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Where is the picture of Naraku looking pissed off with all the happy clouds around him? I remember that picture.

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ooh yes, let me go grab those. :lol:

I did this series of pictures after one day of queueing for a random dungeon and ending up in Vortex Pinnacle with Naraku out - and I was immediately amused at how pink and fluffy and happy the place looked and how out of place my poor ravager seemed.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ohh my gosh i died when i saw those cloud pictures :lol: :lol:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Funnily enough, I actually have one of those "puke ravagers." :P Back when I was playing regularly on Nesingwary, one of my alts, an undead hunter named Yzma, got rolled one of these guys for the pet challenge. What most people see as ugly I see as the perfect compliment to an undead hunter--the ravager looks sort of like it's been hit with a plague bomb and it was an instant connection after I tamed this guy. He's named Hopper (after the villain in A Bug's Life) as Yzma has a Disney theme.

And on my more used baby hunter, Tsara, she has the death ravager, which is a perfect compliment to her skin and hair tone and was the first pet she tamed at level 10. Took me forever to get a key to drop but Hemlock is happily home, and for such a fierce looking creature, he's actually pretty laid back and mellow, especially compared to Henbane.

I love the colorful ravager family, and the debuff they bring is fantastic for any melee users (and technically our auto-shots) that you have in your party.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Oh yus the puke color ravager is perfect for undead hunters. I recommend that ravager skin for undead themed stables. Otherwise those colors... they just don't belong together!

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:What most people see as ugly I see as the perfect compliment to an undead hunter
Couldn't agree with you more!

I was once repelled by the ravager's harsh and alien manner but took a liking to them when I decided to pair one with my Forsaken huntress, Synestra.

I decided on one of the purple "elite crawler" models from Hellfire Peninsula. The demon-red eyes and razor-sharp spikes were just to Synestra's preference. It took a while to come up with a suitable name until I found Aglaeca while researching demons and monsters for some inspiration. The name can have several meanings, some of which include: monster, demon, fiend, warrior, fighter, & hero. It was also the name associated with Grendel's mother in the story of Beowulf. Despite not knowing how to pronounce the name (I'm going with A-gla-ka until otherwise corrected), I felt that the descriptions behind it were fitting for Syn's ravager.

I also recently tamed a ravager for my Troll huntress, Kadija.

His name is Seax. I just love, love, love the colors on this lil' guy! His carapace is covered in a beautiful blend of green and orange hues, with a deep magenta to accentuate his abdomen; A perfect addition to Kadija's colorful stable!

Last edited by Niabi on Fri May 23, 2014 1:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

The "puke" color is one of my favorites. x_x I think the colors look pretty neat together. :lol:

I have a really hard time bonding with ravagers for the reasons Vephriel mentioned above. I may try one again here soon. The green elite model is probably the one I'd end up with, because I like the extra spikes and glowing eyes. Some of the colors on the non-elite models are really nice, I just don't care for the model itself as much.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Ya DrRipNStein will be seing you shortly.

*ahem* Yup mines a doctor :lol:

Allso I'm jelous of Vehp I don't have the gloves or belt D:
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_050612_104413.jpg
WoWScrnShot_050612_104413.jpg (286.24 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I forgot about one of my hunters' ravagers; apologies for the second post. xD

Anyway, my RP blood elf hunter, Rose, has a green elite ravager model named Monster. He doesn't really have a special story or anything other than that I knew that for Rose and her theme, if I was going to tame a ravager for her, he'd better be one of the spikier models with the awesome glowing red eyes. I decided the green would fit best with her stables. He doesn't see a ton of use, but when I do pull him out, I love the way he looks and fights and sounds. Really a fantastic pet.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

I love ravagers. To me they resemble spikey colorful flowers. That's why I named mine Belladonna. A beautiful and deadly flower. Bella is one of my pets whose personality just pops out unmistakably. At first glance she might look scary and fierce, and she can be, but she's actually, kind, gentle, and patient. I don't know why her personality stands out to me in this way but it does. I think of her as sort of a Charlotte from Charlotte's Web. Even though she's not a spider it's just the way I picture her. She is definitely one of my favorite pets. A keeper for sure!

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Ohmigod, Veph. I think you just inspired me to tame a Ravager.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Ohmigod, Veph. I think you just inspired me to tame a Ravager.
Yeah... I'm considering trying one out again myself. XD

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

starkittens
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: mok'nathal, Runetotem, and a couple others

Unread post by starkittens »

ok, I admit, I've never gotten one. I've never even really considered having one as a pet...hrmmm..What one should I go and get?

The burns of a fire may heal with time
but the burns from our love will never heal, even as the years pass on
{My Magistream Keep}{My DA}{My DC scroll}

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I think the ones with the red eyes are the coolest, but the ones without the red eyes (the non-"elite" ones) have a lot more colors to choose from.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Let's get this straight. I hate ravagers. Really, I do. If you'd have asked me my top three most hated creatures in the game, ravagers would have been in there. They're odd, and ugly and awkward and strange and alien and I just did not like them. No siree, no matter how much my husband tried to convince me they were cool. Hey, let him keep his Sci-Fi fiddle-faddle and let me stick to the more classic animals. I wasn't even being prejudiced; after all, my first hunter went around for ten levels with one randomly rolled for ugly green ravager, always somewhat despising him, although I admit he was quite good in battle. Still...ew. No. No thanks. Yuck.

Amethyst and Lazuli are adorable together in my opinion. I really love how they both have green skin and dark "hair". ;)
Amethyst was a whim tame that turned into an important bond. I don't quite know what it is about her, but whenever I have her out I feel very cheerful, and I like to think that she has a happy-go-lucky personality that makes her mistress laugh.
Last edited by Mozag on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Sigh...

Well, it finally happened.
As some of you might know, I... have never been a fan of ravagers. I was really creeped out by them, honestly. I liked other peoples ravagers... they had awesome personalities as such (I'm looking at you, Naraku!) but I could never bond with one.
I've always been a fan of a lot of their skins, especially the green ones, and I also really liked the green and blue, so when I was thinking about some other pets to tame on my troll hunter... it hit me.

So, I traveled out to Azuremist Isle, got myself a key, and unlocked the cage housing Death Ravager. I watched him enjoy his freedom for a bit before taming.

I wasn't completely sure about him at first. I mean, this was a ravager, and a whim tame. But I had never had such an urge to tame a ravager before, and there was something about him... and boy did he match Kilalan well. Then...

He got me. I decided to name him hedge, as in hedgehog, because... well... see for yourself. :P
ImageImage
Your way into my heart? Yes Hedge, yes you are.

He's just... so adorable! T-T And I'm like, omg how is he so cute?! He's a total sweetie though. <3 And I think he might be a little shy around strangers.

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Eee, your troll has the same coloration! <3 Definitely destiny! :D And rofl, he's rolled into a ball in his taming pic too! :lol:

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!