Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 22: Scorpids!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 22: Scorpids!

Unread post by Wassa »

Former threads:
Moths - Warp Stalkers - Crocolisks - Monkeys - Wolves - Core Hounds - Wasps - Dragonhawks - Turtles - Boars - Carrion Birds - Bears - Serpents - Tallstriders - Worms - Dogs - Ravagers - Shale Spiders - Sporebats - Spirit Beasts - Birds of Prey

Random pet family appreciation thread is where I roll a random pet family every week for everyone to share their pictures, their stories, their love for that pet family. Please no hate or rants. This is an appreciation thread. If you dislike the family, don't post! Hopefully with some love we can get some hunters to try out new pets they never would have thought to tame before.

Posting this week's thread early as I will be gone all weekend. Looking forward to reading all your Madexx scorpid stories when I get back!

Our 22nd family is the venomous scorpid family!

Image from WoW TCG.

Scorpid facts

~Scorpids have been a tameable family since Vanilla WoW.

~Scorpids have two models and 14 skin colors.

~Scorpids have ten rare members. These are Clack the Reaver, Death Flayer, Krellack, five different colors of Madexx, Scorpitar, and Vile Sting.

~Madexx is the only unique skinned named scorpid. While at the release of Cataclysm all of his five skins where unique to him, now only three are which are red, green, and blue.

~Silithid Swarmers are a former member of the family. They used to be green scorpids until Cataclysm where they morphed into tan ant silithids. These where the first ant model silithids tameable and were only tameable before they morphed, making them a "grandfathered" pet back then. Now all ant silithids are tameable so they have lost their uniqueness.

~Back in Wrath, scorpids were tamed by 1.2% of level 80 hunters. Placing them at number 15 on the list, tied with both turtles and wasps. (Source)

~Back in Wrath, scorpionskinblack was the most tamed skin at 62.7%. Scorpionskinred was the least tamed skin at 0.6%. (Source)

~Scorpids used to be popular PvP pets in Burning Crusade with their old ability, Scorpid Poison. This stacking poison debuff was affected by pet's spell damage and the hunter's ranged attack power, plus any damage increasing effects when the scorpid first stung it's target, which could stack to a very high damage over time. Poison dispelling abilities would only remove one application of the poison, not the whole stack, making it a lot harder to remove any of the hunter's sting shots. This move was nerfed twice to lower the damage, until scorpid's ability got changed to a disarm come Cataclysm.

~Kor'kron Annihilator is a scorpid mount matching the brown Madexx, available to horde that are in a level 25 guild and are exalted with said guild. Thankfully the mount is bind to account so all your horde alts can have one too. Just be careful and watch out for it's stinger above your head!

~Durotar Scorpion is a scorpid minipet that matches scorpionskingolden. This little scorpid isn't too happy and likes to sting others.

~Jewelcrafters can summon a dark iron scorpid with the trinket Figurine - Dark Iron Scorpid.

~Scorpionskinyellow is the only scorpid skin with eyes on top of it's head like a real life scorpion.

~Duneclaw Broodlords have a unique looking gem scorpid model.

~Madexx, the most well known member of the scorpid family, is the only rare spawn that comes in multiple colors. These colors are stable, meaning he does not color change. What color you tamed is the color he will stay. However, this makes him one of the most difficult rare spawn pets to camp for as he always seems to spawn in the color you don't want. Since his release two of his skins, brown and black, have been put on common scorpid beasts, and it looks like more common Madexx model scorpids will be added in Mists Of Pandaria to help reduce the frustration of camping for a certain Madexx color.

~During Vanillia WoW Death Flayer had 1.6 attack speed, making him the only scorpid with faster than 2.0 base attack speed back then.
Last edited by Wassa on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 22: Scorpids!

Unread post by Kalliope »

I've written about Perseus the green Madexx before. However, he wasn't the first scorpid I fell for.

Orpheus, who you all know better as a brown tarantula, originally began life as a pink scorpid from Outland. He would have been one of the Tanaris pink scorpids, except these were the days before auto-leveling and I just couldn't justify the time spent (in later years, I would realize the importance of the specific body the pet settled into). Scorpids were THE PvP pet in those days and so I simply had to have one. The problem was that I'd actually filled my third stable slot with a second cat, a little panther from STV. I had never abandoned a long-term pet before, so I cried buckets when I let that cat go. I let my guard down so badly that a couple of horde were able to gank me once I'd abandoned him. I was heartbroken twice over and feeling really down. And yet, after I resed, I tamed the pet who would over the next several years become one of my most deeply bonded pets, no matter what form he took.

There was something tough and reassuring about the little guy from the start and it all came down to his scorpid roots. I would never have warmed up to scorpids in general if it hadn't been for the original Orpheus. To this day, I can't tame another pink one because of how closely I associate them with him. He broke the mold. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

My first scorpid love came in the form of a rare known as Death Flayer, with his black carapace and blood red markings! To me, the markings are viewed as actual blood splatters from his victims/enemies that have dried and stained over time rather than part of his in-born coloration.

He has found a permanent place among Synestra's stable of pets and has since been renamed Macabre.

I've also acquired a scorpid for my Troll Huntress, Kadija, named Sazerac.

And then there's my Orc Huntress' scorpid Savas.
Last edited by Niabi on Fri May 23, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Melentari
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Melentari »

So far, this is the only scorpid I have on any of my hunters that I've "bonded" with.

Alloy, one of the Duneclaw Broodlords from Tanaris. So neat looking, I just had to put him on my list of bugs to tame. I named him for that odd metallic/wooden look he has. An interesting alloy of dark iron and copper, maybe?

Melentari and Tevildo - she tamed him a long time ago.

meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nessingway- Main (H) Mannoroth- Secondary (A)

Unread post by meepitco »

I have a few scorpids. But my three most favorite are Morrigan my blue madexx, Speckles my bronze madexx, and Harold my green scorpid. Morrigan I found over my long camp for red. She was my first Madexx. My second Madexx was Speckles, he was an unintentional tame. Someone was going to kill him, so I swooped in and saved him. He's quite derpy....... My third Madexx was Harold. I found Harold up, and decided to tame him for the hell of it. Now when I was naming him, I didnt know I had a great uncle named Harold who died of Cancer. I thought it was interesting and me and my dad joke around saying Uncle Harold is making sure you dont die on WoW. those are my madexxes. :D

Click the picture, it takes you to my deviantart.

Tumblr is here.

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I do love scorpids, but it can be hard deciding on a particular one. I love the original model, but prefer the coloring on the armored scorpids. Right now I have a Venomscale Spitter from Uldum, named Erg.
Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Here's another of my favourites. The scorpid models are both gorgeous and although I have no use for their skill, I still often play with mine, all of whom have been tanking successfully with varying degrees of enthusiasm. I can't wait to make most of them ferocity or cunning, although one little lady will be staying as a tank. More on that later.

Vahriz looks fierce, sounds fierce, and IS fierce in battle. Outside of it, he's a bit of a crazy professor, and when I decide to level up archeology on Garshanga, he'll definitely be the one joining her. He loves digging through the sand and inspecting small creatures (above, he is attempting to tame a small lizard that took his fancy), ruins and plants. I wonder why so many of my scorpids are playful and calm!

Another joyful, happy scorpid is Lazuli's Garnet. My favourite Madexx skin, Garnet has always been very happy-go-lucky, although she too does not feel comfortable in her tanking capacity. These two will definitely be pairing up more often in MoP.
Last edited by Mozag on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
starkittens
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: mok'nathal, Runetotem, and a couple others

Unread post by starkittens »

Wassa wrote:

~Madexx is the only unique skinned named scorpid. While at the release of Cataclysm all of his five skins where unique to him, not only three are which are red, green, and blue.
Shouldn't that be now not, not?

Also: I have three different colors of Madexx: Bronze, green, and blue.

I have the blue on my troll hunter, Mizts, but I want her on my Tuaren hunter, Starkittens. same with the green, only opposite. Bronze Madexx was when I was hunting for my blue, and I saw her...ok, I love her now.

Bronze, dancing for a gryphon hatchling feast!

After tame

She's now called BronzeFire, and I love her. I still won't give up my hunt for my blue...But she's good until then!

The burns of a fire may heal with time
but the burns from our love will never heal, even as the years pass on
{My Magistream Keep}{My DA}{My DC scroll}

Kalliope

starkittens wrote:Image
This pose right here is why I love all the scorpids. They're SO HAPPY! T_T

YouTube Edition

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Kalliope wrote:
starkittens wrote:Image
This pose right here is why I love all the scorpids. They're SO HAPPY! T_T
It does kind of look like:

Scorpid: What's for dinner Ma?

Starkittens: Roast baby gryphon!

Scorpid: YAYYYYYYYY!
Kalliope

Boven wrote:It does kind of look like:

Scorpid: What's for dinner Ma?

Starkittens: Roast baby gryphon!

Scorpid: YAYYYYYYYY!
That's the scorpid natural response to EVERYTHING! :lol: And I confess, it makes me giggle every time I get the chance to watch Madexx in the wild and he does the "yay!" wave - because it's even more hilarious when it's SO BIG! :lol:

YouTube Edition

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Ah scorpids. Such a lovely family with a really neat selection of colors and a lot of personality. What a shame that I have so much trouble bonding with them on my hunters and keeping them in use. I'm hoping they get a better buff or something in MoP, or if they keep the disarm perhaps I'll take them ferocity.

Ziarre helped me find and tame red Maddexx back when Ruffley was an orc named Vitani. I don't have the time to figure out where my screenshots of Selket are so here's a sig I made for them.

My other scorpid that I have belongs to Rose and his name is Surge. He doesn't see as much use as he deserves, but I just find his coloring to be fabulous and I'm hoping to give him more use come MoP.

One of the absolute most favorite Scorpids I ever owned belonged to my former challenge hunter, Roxíe (who no longer exists) and her name was Lahney.
I had quite the bond with her and it actually made me incredibly sad when I killed her off as part of the storyline for the challenge I was doing.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Eeee, I love scorpions, but the WoW scorpids never really did anything for me before Cata. I absolutely LOVE the new scorpid model, though, and knew I had to have ti once Cata was released! :D
At first, I really wasn't sure which was my favorite. I was a big fan of blue, black, and brown. Green was okay, but I didn't really think I liked it as much. Red didn't appeal to me too much at all.
But, red was the first Madexx I got! So I ran with red MAdexx for a while, keeping the name Madexx because I just.. like keeping rares with their original names most of the time. I also just like the name. :) There wasn't much of a bond, but I kept him. Well, eventually I came across green madexx! I excitedly tamed him, and realized just how awesome he looks in person. I kept red Madexx, but green Madexx was the scorpid I used.
Well, I eventually got over my "must have all rares" craze, and released red Madexx to get some non-rares to bond with, but my remaining Madexx stayed with me. I loved the look of him, and just couldn't beat to let him go. I had always had toruble finding a personality in him, though, so there wasn't much of a bond.
That changed when a month of so ago, I decided to use all of the pets that don't get as much attention. When I took Madexx out and ran some dungeons with him, his personality all of a sudden BLOOMED! He turned out to be the most happy scorpid I have ever known. He constantly emoted things that contained waving his claws and just being happy in general, and still does that all the time. I couldn't help but coo every time he shared his joy with me. :) So I no longer have any doubts about him. He's my precious green scorpid and I love him so much. <3 I don't care if he's rare or unique anymore, he's just him. ^.^
I also feel like he's sort of special to me in a way.. because he's green, my favorite color, and a scorpion, and I'm a scorpio. XD It's silly, but it makes having him around more fun!

Took him with me to kill Attumen today. A mount didn't drop and I was sad... :(

But he comforted me!

"Yay sunsets!"

Espen also has a scorpid. I've always loved blue Madexx, the shade of blues on him are just absolutely beutiful. I never found him, though. But as soon as I had Espen's transmog set up, I knew I had to have him. So eventually, a friend of mine looking for black Madexx, foun blue madexx, and let me know! So I logged over to Espen and tamed. I then named my new scorpid Hermod, after one of Odin's sons in norse mythology. After the tragic death of Balder, Hermod rode down to Hel on the back of Odin's horse, Sleipnir, to try and get Balder back.

Hermod the scorpid isn't as excitable as Madexx, but he does have his happy joyful moments! :lol:

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Kalliope

TheDoomcookie wrote:Image
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! <3 That is so adorable! T_T
"Yaaaaaaaaay big!"

:lol:

YouTube Edition

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I have always liked scorpids, but could never bond with one. When I saw the new scorpid model in Cataclysm beta, I was instantly in love. I knew I had to have one. It was between the green (of course), the bronze and the black, but green was the one I really, really wanted.

Well, I found the bronze one first, and tamed it. I used him for a while, but I still really wanted green. Several days later, I woke up butt-early on a weekend (like...probably 4:00 a.m. or so) to wait for Madexx. I had a feeling I'd find him eventually. I circled that freaking desert for hours. Finally, my NPCScan went off and I about pooped myself. But, unfortunately, it was black Madexx.

Here's where it gets crazy. A friend I had made during the camp said she wanted Madexx. She didn't care which color she got (or at least that's what she said at the time). So, when I found Mr. BlackMadexx, I got all frantic and tried to contact her. However, since I was so nervous (and probably because I was exhausted), for some stupid reason I tried typing her name in instead of simply opening up my social window. I evidently typed her name wrong because it said she didn't exist or w/e. I had kept pressing tame and cancelling, hoping to deter people. Well, I accidentally let the tame bar go all the way. I think it was kind of half and half, actually. Like, I didn't want him, I wanted my friend to get him. I didn't want to tame him and I knew that I was doing it anyway, and I didn't stop myself. I don't honestly know what was going through my head. Anyway, I ended up with black Madexx.

Another friend of mine happened to be out there, too, I think trying to help me camp (he really wanted the blue one so he was going to let me have any of the other colors). I flew back to Ramkahadenasmcpaoeil-whatever and my friend complimented me on the new scorpid (in the meantime, I found the friend online that I had wanted to give black Madexx to and realized my horrible mistake). I had to admit, he did look really awesome, but he still wasn't GREEN. I tossed him in the stables in disgust and told my first friend about the mistake, and gave her the tame time and promised I wouldn't go to the desert again until she got her Madexx. I felt so guilty after getting the black one that I didn't want any accidents like that to happen again.

Well, wouldn't you know it, but the GREEN one spawned that very night. Yes, the one time I wasn't in the desert because I wanted to be nice and help someone out. Figures! I was so upset. It was all my stupid fault for accidentally mis-typing her name that morning. That made me even more bitter and resentful towards black Madexx (yet I didn't get rid of him, oddly enough).

I found myself in that blasted desert again, still looking for green Madexx with the friend that wanted blue Madexx. Well, the bronze one spawned. He didn't know whether or not to take it, but I encouraged him to, so he did. The friend that had gotten green Madexx decided to fly out there so we could take pics. I didn't want to be left out, so I went to the stable to grab a Madexx (I still had both the bronze and the black at this point). At first I was going to take the bronze, but my other friend had just gotten one and I wanted them all to be different. "Fine," so I grabbed black Madexx and went back to join my friends.

As we started taking pictures, all of a sudden, this bond just instantly formed with black Madexx. He had this strange and wonderful sense that he somehow was MINE. He spawned specifically and especially for me. To top it off, with all the pictures we took, I don't think I ended up with a single one of him waving his claws. He formed this kind of emo personality, which is unusual for my pets, like nothing in the world could thrill him. That probably sounds pretty boring to many people, but I found it adorable and endearing. My little poopypants Madexx! I gave him the name I had given my bronze Madexx, Vulkoor, and let the bronze Madexx go. I was totally smitten with my black one now.

However, I still wanted the green one deep down. I had the stable space, so I figured there was no harm in having two Madexxes. So, I camped still, though not as religiously. However, of course, one night after getting off of work, I decided to be responsible for once and do dishes instead of logging on WoW right away. Well, wouldn't you know it, but while I was doing that, green Madexx spawned. The friend who had just gotten bronze tried to hold him for me as long as he could, but he said that when I didn't show up online at my usual time, he felt he needed to tame him before someone killed him, so he did. Naturally, I logged on about five or ten minutes later and he told me what happened. I was like, "You've GOT to be kidding me!"

Well, I can take a hint. Green Madexx still has not appeared to this day, and I'm starting to think he never will. He only spawns when I'm not around. I believe that my little emo black Madexx was meant to be, and now I'm at the point where I don't even want another Madexx. Vulkoor's all I need and I love him to bits.

(Seriously, Vulkoor rarely ever does the claw-wave. I think he tries to do it when I'm not looking, maybe.)

Attachments
Group Photo 5.jpg
Group Photo 5.jpg (191.96 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Madexxes Happy Gromsblood.jpg
Madexxes Happy Gromsblood.jpg (203.93 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Madexxes Happy Sandstorm.jpg
Madexxes Happy Sandstorm.jpg (203.87 KiB) Viewed 4079 times

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Twitchapher
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Twitchapher »

Like most people I didn't really want a scorpid...Until I saw the cata models. Did want!...But not too badly. I never really... Seriously camped for Madexx. I would fly buy at odd times seeing if I could find one. Even though I'm a blood elf, I love the colour blue and so blue Madexx was my dream. I was talking to one of my guildmates late at night, going to do a random check...I remember saying something about 'Watch Madexx be up' and the convo changed while I was flying but, my dream was up.
Madexx hurt when your not raid geared. I was so happy though I had no idea what to name her. Took me a LONG time but I settled on the name Enyo. She's protective and will 'sting first ask question's later' type of gal but she's loyal to her mistress and will do anything to see that no harm comes to her.

Alas, as a hunter I just couldn't stop checking for Madexx. It was in my nature. Low and behold, I found my second Madexx. The red one this time. I don't have any screenies of his tame. It was more..."....Sure why not?" tame.
I haven't truly bonded with Dabih though he is Enyo's son. He's probably the quietest of my stable though, keeping to himself. I love him though.

My last Madexx well...I've let go before. Again, checking because I could, I stumbled upon a wild black Madexx! Hunter used tame! It was super effective! Give a new name to your Madexx? I named him Apollo and he is Enyo's mate, Dabih's farther and I had no bond with him what so ever. My time ran out not too long after taming Apollo and I came back late 4.2, with all the shiny new challenge tames. I did some stable shuffling and I let Apollo go. I figure I could tame one of the black common models if I missed him.

Well, I never did tame a common model because I knew it just wouldn't be my black madexx. Fast forward to about a month and a bit ago. I'm pretty sure it was after raid and I was bored. Must go check for Madexx. Maybe someone in the guild would want him...What if it's the black one? Well...If it's black I could tame it again. I did have that bad feeling when I let Apollo go...AWOOOOO same spot, Black Madexx...Well, ok...I'll tame ya again. Let's see, name 'Apollo'..."Apollo rubs his tail against his mistress's leg, carefully angling the stinger away.".................FFFFFFFFFFFF I'M SORRY BABY, MOMMY MISSED YOU TOO! MOMMY WILL NEVER LET YOU GO EVER AGAIN! *instant bond*
Apollo is THE happiest scorpid ever! He's always waving his claws around and using the affection emotes when I have Pet Emote on. He's pretty much...'YAY BUTTERFLIES MOMMY!' all the time. I take my scorpids on 'walks' when I do Archaeology but Apollo just always ends up at my side. He makes the painful grind more bearable(because everyone gets the blue bug mount but me. -.-). Plus, Apollo doesn't look half bad next to my transmog suit. <3
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

So many happy scorpid dances in this topic! *loves*

Also fixed that spelling error.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I have a sneaking suspicion that my Erg is more exasperated with me than happy :)
HawkseyesX
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by HawkseyesX »

*Warning no screenshots*

I remember not ever seeing madexx in the wild before. I never really even liked scorpions really, had a black and red old world model, tried the yellow, even the pink, I just never bonded, so one day I was looking for camel figurines, and decided to go see if he's up. Ding ding ding, it's NPC scan for,*gasps*, BLUE madexx, I fell In love instantly, wasn't expecting that to happen, she (yes it's a she) was named something (can't even remember now) but she hated the name. She never claw flailed like she shouldve, so I tried something, I renamed her madexx, she claw fails all the time now ^-^ it's so adorable, she was there when I killed jadefang earlier today for the adoooooorable tiny shale spider <3 she's definatley staying

thanks Veph for the awesome sig! :D

Kalliope

*sigh* Madexx always knows.

I had called out Perseus this morning to take him for a walk in a dungeon. No sooner had I summoned him than I felt the overwhelming urge to go to Uldum. I hadn't discovered Madexx in the wild for weeks, so there was no logical reason to believe he'd be up.

But he was.

Blue.

And at that moment, I knew that Andromeda was going to be transitioning to her fen strider form through Madexx. Had he been any other color, this would not have been the case. It's hard to explain the feelings, unfortunately. I had thought about putting Drommie in my active stable before queuing for the instance, but didn't. So I flew back to the stable master in Uldum to get her, then let her do her thing. Needless to say, Drommie ended up doing the instance with me instead. I'll have to take Perseus for a walk later.

This wasn't even rare sense. It was a distinct "you are doing this, so get moving already" sense.

Perseus is definitely turning out to be a very bossy pet.

As for Andromeda, she appears to be thrilled to be on the ground with her mate. The constant flying of a dragonhawk must have gotten to her. I got the distinct impression that suddenly having fen strider legs on the beta messed with her perception, so she really wanted to ease into things better on live.

It's all so silly and unpredictable. I've seen blue Madexx in person before and felt nothing. But this time was different. Go figure.

(Sorry for those who also follow my blog; I wrote the post for this thread, but duplicated it over there, since it's relevant.)

YouTube Edition