Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 23: Chimaeras!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 23: Chimaeras!

Unread post by Wassa »

Note: I found a site with larger pictures of the cards from the WoW TCG. Some pictures in former threads have been updated to bigger versions, plus monkeys and wolves got new pictures. Go check them out!

Former threads:
Moths - Warp Stalkers - Crocolisks - Monkeys - Wolves - Core Hounds - Wasps - Dragonhawks - Turtles - Boars - Carrion Birds - Bears - Serpents - Tallstriders - Worms - Dogs - Ravagers - Shale Spiders - Sporebats - Spirit Beasts - Birds of Prey - Scorpids

Random pet family appreciation thread is where I roll a random pet family every week for everyone to share their pictures, their stories, their love for that pet family. Please no hate or rants. This is an appreciation thread. If you dislike the family, don't post! Hopefully with some love we can get some hunters to try out new pets they never would have thought to tame before.

Our 23rd family is the perplexing chimaera family!

Chimaera facts

~Chimaera became tameable in Wrath with the addition of exotic beasts. The original chimaeras have been in game since Vanilla and the Outland armored style chimaeras were added in Burning Crusade.

~Blizzard isn't consistent with the spelling of this family. When tamed the default name for the family is spelled chimaera, yet in the MPQ files and in the description for their exotic ability Froststorm Breath the name is spelled chimera.

~Chimaeras have two models and eight tameable skins.

~Three rares members of the chimaera family that are tameable are Nuramoc, The Evalcharr and The Razza. All of these rares are also unique skinned.

~While no other chimaeras are unique skinned named members besides the rares, every chimaera skin is only available to one NPCID except chimeraskinblue.

~Prince Lakma, also a rare member of the family, is currently untameable due to being level 87.

~Chimeraskinoutland (red) is currently unavailable in game.

~Back in Wrath, chimaeras where tamed by 1.3% of level 80 hunters. Placing them at number 14 on the list, tied with warp stalkers.(Source)

~Back in Wrath, chimeraskinblue was the most tamed skin at 44.7%. Chimeraskin (brown) was the least tamed skin at 4.3%. (Source)

~The old version of Froststorm Breath acted more like the current version of Frost Breath, slowing the target's movement speed but also causing both frost and nature damage. Frost Breath replaced this in Cataclysm and Froststorm Breath was reused as the name for the chimaera's exotic ability, which now is an aoe cone attack.

~Before the Isle of Dread sunk in the Cataclysm it was home to a race of chimaeras known as the chimaeroks. These chimaeroks where elites and needed a group to kill at level 60, where they where needed for the AQ40 opening questline The Isle of Dread! The big daddy of all the chimaeroks was Lord Lakmaeran who needed a raid group to kill.

~It was believed that all the chimaeroks died until patch 4.3 when Prince Lakma, also known as <The Last Chimaerok>, was introduced in game. Most likely Lord Lakmaeran's son, he is currently the only way to get Chimaerok Tenderlions for the cooking recipe Dirge's Kickin' Chimaerok Chops.
Last edited by Wassa on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 23: Chimaeras!

Unread post by Wassa »

First, a silly picture of a chimaera who crash landed face first into the ground when it died.

Ok onto my chimaeras.

This is Niyol, her name meaning "wind" in Navajo. To be honest I'm not too attached with her. I've tried multiple chimaeras on both Wassa and Ptaysanwee, but none have really clicked. Niyol might be released come MoP. I'll see if respecing her to ferocity might help me bond with her more and develop a personality.

However, on my beta hunter I have bonded with a chimaera. He's one of my top three pets on her.

Here is Discord. Yus, named after that Discord from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I just thought that he fit the beige skin perfectly. The beige chimaera has always been my favorite skin since I discovered it hidden in the MPQ files. I was so happy it became tameable in Cataclysm. This skin didn't work for both Wassa or Ptay, but I guess I just needed to wait for the right hunter to tame this beautiful chimaera skin.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Mozag
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

I had always thought that the most eye-catching of the chimaeras was the purple, until this absolutely delicious white and blue was revealed. I only recently obtained him, and I'm already feeling that he and Lindy will make a fine team. I'm glad that he's so damn easy on the eyes, while I run around with him and try to see if a personality will emerge.
Last edited by Mozag on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Tamed The Evalcharr at the beginning of Cata, and we had a lot of quality time together working on Critter Kill Squad. Will make her Tenacity in MoP.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I had a green outland chimaera named Twinblade for a while. When The Evalcharr was changed to the green version, I abandoned Twinblade and snatched it up. I ended up not liking it as much as I thought I would, however, so I went and re-tamed Twinblade.

But, sadly, the new Twinblade just didn't really do anything for me even though it was the exact same color and model as the one before. So, I let him go. For the longest time, I was without a chimaera at all.

And then Rimebane came along. I had freed up some stable slots and was on a mission to tame some pets I hadn't tried before. While on the way to tame a few raptor colors in Blade's Edge Mountains, I flew above the chimaeras. I had completely forgotten that they had gone from my previous Twinblade-green to a new yellow color. I swooped down to check them out, and tamed one. Immediately, I was like...wow. This skin is awesome! The yellow matched my armor so well, and then the green eyes matched my green hair. It took me a little while to think of a name, but I finally settled on Rimebane. I don't use him a whole lot (but then I don't play much these days, either), but I don't intend to ever let him go. I think I love Rimebane more than I did Twinblade. :)

As far as personality goes, all I've gotten so far is that he's fierce and doesn't kid around. He's serious business. :P

Attachments
Rhyela and Rimebane.jpg
Rhyela and Rimebane.jpg (600.44 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Oh Chimaeras... I have a weird relationship with them. Even though they look quite exotic, I wish they had more varied animations. It'd also be nice if they landed and stood sort of like how proto drakes stand while idle. In short, i used to have a lot of trouble bonding because of their wing span. XD

I tried multiple times to bond with The Evalcharr, I love his shade of green, but the wing span got int he way, as well as the idea of green fur. O.o Not sure why, but green fur weirds me out sometimes. XD But yeah, I just could not bond with him at all. I anmed him Evalcharr each time, mostly because I suck at coming up with times sometimes...

Then one time, I tamed him yet again, named him.... and it clicked. I took him to PVP stuff to strengthen the bond, and I still couldn't figure out why it turned out well this time.
Well, much later on I was hanging out in beta with Caelan, and she pointed out that his name was Evlacharr, not Evalcharr! :lol: I'm so bad with typos, I finally typo'd a pets name! But I decided to keep it that way, figuring that's why it clicked. And honestly, I really like the sound of Evlacharr a lot more. xD

Sarahma also has a chimaera, named Jokull. There isn't a huge bond, but he's just so gorgeous I couldnt not tame him. :P And there is enough of a bond that he can stay. :)

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

Morga my Orc was the first hunter to tame a chimaera. His first was a white one from winterspring. I named her Wolke (german for cloud) because of her frostbreath and the white appearance. Wolke changed to Nuramoc, but I couldn't bond with him (probably because Nuramoc is purple and it doesn't match a male orc). Then I retamed the white one, I didn't use her often and released her for an other pet. Then I found out about the white armored chimera being newly introduced. I went there, tamed and Wolke was back. I had her back with the skin I loved (armored without wholes in the wings) and in white. I use her mostly in pvp situations for battlegrounds and I love her slow against rogues, other melees or demolishers. Here's a shot of Wolke with Morga in front of the pvp mount vendor.

Finduilas also used to have Nuramoc. I named him Haldir and had him a long time for pvp. When I changed my transmog set from purple/white to black and green I had a look at the chimaeras and decided on a new skin for Haldir. I tamed the green one, but I didn't like him, it was not Haldir. Then I tried out the yellow one and he was back. Like with Morga, Haldir is one of my pvp pets. He and my Kirix exchange places in my active pvp list regularely.
Spirit of competition photobomb, but I still like the pic :)

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

I have a Nuramoc, "Valefor". When chimaeras became tameable, I wanted to tame it immediately. I had no luck with watching spawn points until I got a whisper from someone who was Alliance, but made a Horde toon to contact me. He noticed I was looking for Nuramoc, and he had tamed it the day before, so he wanted to share his observations on when it spawned. He said it seemed to take 24 hours. That would make the next spawn at around 7PM that night, so I went to check back later... and I'd say within 10 minutes, he indeed did spawn! It was very nice of that player to help me out. :)

I don't use Valefor as much as I use Invincible (my worm) when it comes to AoE damage, but sometimes I like to change it up. Valefor's wingspan can get in my way, though...
I like to think the two heads don't get along with each other (i.e. hydras).
Icaruss

Unread post by Icaruss »

I got Nuramoc it was probably the most challenging pet I tamed I returned to search for nuramoc at least 2hrs a day when leveling my hunter the only other chimera I would tame is the Evalcharr because he really resembles a dragon.