Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 28: Rhinos!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 28: Rhinos!

Unread post by Wassa »

Former threads:
Moths - Warp Stalkers - Crocolisks - Monkeys - Wolves - Core Hounds - Wasps - Dragonhawks - Turtles - Boars - Carrion Birds - Bears - Serpents - Tallstriders - Worms - Dogs - Ravagers - Shale Spiders - Sporebats - Spirit Beasts - Birds of Prey - Scorpids - Chimaeras - Bats - Crabs - Foxes - Devilsaurs

Random pet family appreciation thread is where I roll a random pet family every week for everyone to share their pictures, their stories, their love for that pet family. Please no hate or rants. This is an appreciation thread. If you dislike the family, don't post! Hopefully with some love we can get some hunters to try out new pets they never would have thought to tame before.

Our 28th family is the hardy rhino family!

Image from WoW TCG.

Rhino facts

~Rhinos were introduced as a model and an exotic tameable family in Wrath of the Lich King.

~Rhinos have four skin colors.

~Icehorn is the rhino family's only rare.

~Back in Wrath, rhinos were tamed by 1.6% of level 80 hunters. Placing them at number 12 on the list. (Source)

~Back in Wrath, woolyrhino_slate was the most tamed skin at 38.9%. Woolyrhino_brown was the least tamed skin at 8.4%. (Source)

~Stampede used to knock back multiple targets, but was nerfed to knock back only one target, then the knock back was removed completely half-way through Wrath. "Rhino bowling" returned in Cataclysm with the special ability Horn Toss.

~Wooly White Rhino is the only rhino mount in game and obtainable only as a rare WoW TCG loot card.

~Drakkari Rhinos grunt when you click on them, even after taming.

~Shardhorn Rhinos where formerly color changers until Cataclysm.

~Sholazar Tickbirds, which are sometimes found perched on wild Shardhorn Rhino's horns, used to also land on tamed rhinos. This seems to have been fixed.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 28: Rhinos!

Unread post by Wassa »

"I was going to pick that herb..."

Meet Ptaysanwee's rhino, Sunukkuhkau, meaning "he crushes" in Algonquin. Out of all the tameable beasts, I don't think this name fits any other beast better. Well, maybe a Devilsaur, but that isn't my point.

Despite his name the only things he will crush will be on accident. He's quite docile and stares off into space a lot. He likes to lean on Ptay, which doesn't always turn out the best on her end. He's a loud sniffer, sounding more like a very large dog at times than a rhino.

This rhino skin was my least favorite at first. I went through all the skins in order of how I liked them personally, but they didn't just fit right with Ptay until I tried the blue skin. While I still think this skin is pretty dull compared to the other rhino skins, it just works with Ptay. I didn't get her transmog set until after I tamed Sunuk, and looking at it now they do match. Sunuk was also originally a Shardhorn Rhino, but when I heard the Drakkari Rhinos grunt when clicked on I was so happy it was the skin I already had! I do click on him a lot when I have him out now just to hear his grunts.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Melentari
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Melentari »

I had a rhino for a while back in Wrath named Revaren. My favourite thing about him was how the shoveltusk bulls would aggro on him like they aggro on each other. I might have to go tame one to see if that still happens.

Melentari and Tevildo - she tamed him a long time ago.

Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

I currently have one Rhino. It's Larkania's Lolita. I got her assigned in a random pet challenge and exchanged my former brown rhino for her. She's such a sweet girl. I saved her from the dragons in Stormpeaks that attacked her even after taming.
I saved her from these frozen lands and took her to Mulgore. Lolita and Larkania's riding kodo share a deep connection and the three of them now are the guardians of Mulgore on Norgannon. Lolita loves the green prairie and the open land, she got healthier and less shy during her time with Larkania, but she still has a huge fear of dragons. Larkania is not allowed to take out riding dragons when Lolita is with her, even if she promises Lolita that they would never harm her.
I had rhinos on different other huntes, but I bonded with none of them so deeply like with Lolita. Morga has an on/off rhino he tames once in a while and releases when he needs the stable place, Findu had one, but she replaced it with Terrorpene and is really happy now. I love watching the rhinos in game, they are really big and gentle creatures and it always hurts me to kill them everytime I do the nesingwary quests in sholazar for the achiev.

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Miacoda
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Eeeeee rhinos! They're probably my second favorite pet family! They're just so loveable and big and and fluffy! <3
I have a rhino of each color, but the one I'm most bonded with is Mia's rhino Ponto!
I've always loved rhinos, but I had a hard time bonding with them until sometime in Cataclysm. I had released a lot of the rares that I had no connection to and just tamed for the challenge, so I decided to try out some new pets, and a rhino was one of the first. I love the brown skin and it's forest green eyes.
I first tamed a rhino and named him Punter, and I liked the sound of it, but I didn't really think it fit with Mia. So I did some name searching and found the name Ponto, which is apparently an Aboriginal name meaning "Little Brother" and I just found the name to be perfect. He's a very sweet rhino, and loves showing affection to those who need/want/deserve it. He's a complete mama's boy, and loves to run aorund and play, but sometimes doesn't remember that he's a big romping rhino! So Mia might be knocked down every once and a while, but she's fine with it. She could never get mad at her "little" boy. <3

A few years ago I got this little plush rhino from a friend as a birthday gift, and I only recently discovered that it somewhat resembles Ponto! So I call it my Ponto Plush. :D Maybe some day I can figure out what I'd need to add on some things to make it look ever more like him! ^.^

My second rhino is with to Hunter #2, Espen! His rhinos name is Njord!
Njord and Espen aren't super bonded yet, but I'm definitely giving him more chances. Like most of Espen's pets, Njord is a bit more serious. He's a big tough bull that sometimes is in the mind-set that all the lady rhinos should be his. :lol: But yeah, he's very strong and just... super tuff. He's a macho rhino! :lol:

Facepalm

Rhino #3 is with Hunter #3, Sarahma and her rhino Bruce!
Bruce started off as just some white rhino, but I had the intention of having him jump into Icehorn, and he did! :D I first thought "Maybe he wants to have the name Icehorn too?" But nope, he wasn't having it, so I had to go and buy a certificate to change it back to Bruce. :P He's a silly rhino with a big appetite and a big heart. <3

Then there's Taz, who is with Hunter #5, Kilalan! Taz is totally one of the main reasons I leveled up Kilalan. He's a Drakkari rhino, and I just love clicking him a lot. The sounds he make are so cute. <3
Taz's name came from Taz'dingo. Not super creative, but I thought it was fitting for him. ^.^ Taz and Kilalan are two peas in a pod. He has this little gave where he like to carefully knock Kilalan into the air and catch her on his back. And Kilalan, being the crazy adventure-seeking troll that she is, totally gets a black out of it! He's a playful little rhino and loves adventure as well. <3

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I also have a rhino, named Shags. I had tried rhinos a few times in the past, but they used to stomp (IIRC) and I couldn't stand it. That, and none of them just really clicked for whatever reason. I think I had tried one of every color.

Well, I randomly decided one day recently to try one again, not knowing that the stomping had been removed. I looked for Icehorn first, but he wasn't there, so I headed up to Sholazar to try something out. I ended up taming Farunn. I'm not really sure why, as it's not a color I'd normally go for. The name Shags came to me out of nowhere (I suppose since they have such shaggy fur), and with that name (and no more stompy-stompy), I couldn't let him go. :D His personality is relaxed and carefree. He's more interested in sightseeing than fighting, but he will if he must. :)

I've thought about changing his color a couple times, and I go out to look for Icehorn, but so far I've never found him. I think at this point I'm happy with Shags for how he is and don't intend to change him anymore.

Attachments
Rhyela and Shags in Storm Peaks.jpg
Rhyela and Shags in Storm Peaks.jpg (154.1 KiB) Viewed 2714 times

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

My hunter Khau has the honor of having my only rhino love at this time. Everybody meet Roark.

Roark is a brute of a beast but with a playful side as well. In many ways, Khau and Roark act a lot like brothers. I imagine them getting into a lot of competitive wrestling matches just for fun and always trying to outdo one another when it comes to any feats of strength. Men just being men, you know ;)

With this kind of relationship, comes a great desire to protect one another as well. So long as each one has the other's back, there is nothing they can't overcome!
Last edited by Niabi on Thu May 22, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

I have just one rhino for now, and I cannot yet say much about her as she is a recent tame who have I used almost nowhere. I am hoping to change that soon, and the posts here have certainly inspired me as well.
Neilaren
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo (H), Mok'nathal (A)

Unread post by Neilaren »

I had an on-and-off again Rhino in Cata, but now that 5.3 has rolled around, I have one permanently now:

Jammers. A friend gave me the name to use, and later gave him a voice!

When I was first trying to take pictures, I noticed that Jammers looked very distressed...

My commentary on the matter: "Why do you keep posing me in places? Why are people looking at me? Why aren't these leaves actually falling!? WAAAHHHHH"

And so as mentioned before, my friend decided to voice it out. Jammers the whiny rhino!
"Hey! Hey lady! Hey! Come on, lady, why? WHY?"

And so now we know, if rhinos could talk... :P
Demonicow
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Echo Isles

Unread post by Demonicow »

after 5.3 i decided that among others that a rhino would be good to have so i tamed farunn while searching for loque who never showed up of course i named him Demonhorn after realizing that my direhorn already had that name so i got on my druid and conjured up some certificates of ownership and as you mighy already know if u have seen me before in game all of my pets have demon or demonic in the name as to kind of generelize their names and as it currently stands i will continue using these names until there is a point in time that i feel each of my pets are worthy of a name what comes after demon or demonic is usually something that represents an aspect or part of the pet itself and most likely not what it is like demonfang my arctic worg or demonbolt my lightning saber worg as with all things these pets have a place in my heart all 55 slots even the untamed ones like skarr and loque.

i used to have this rhino before when i had a lot of space and not a lot of pets and i always liked the grey look simply because i liked the dark face, white horns and red eyes it seemed more appropriate to my character as it was a lot different then the other skins while i would have prefered that they grey rhino had blue fur it is the best decision either way.

:edit my keys decided to be stupid so i had to go back and correct my post
"Y’know, Taurens are born hunters. You ever see a Tauren catch a salmon out of a stream? It really is quite exciting. You ever see a Tauren stalk a python? 'Course you haven't. That's because Tauren are so adept at blending in with their surroundings."

"Five curses and spite live in each gnome this truth cant be ignored, the best way to get rid of a gnome is to throw that Gnome Overboard.""

Armory
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Since Clefthooves and Rhinos are part of the same family now I thought I'd dig up this thread due to the new friend I made tonight. :)

For some unknown reason I've decided to try my hand at casually camping for the new Voidtalon mount, and the location I chose to loiter in happened to have this one Young Icehoof that wanders around the nearby tree. After sitting there for a while I couldn't help finding him endearing with his little shuffling footprints in the snow and the way he never strayed very far. Sure enough, I caved and tamed him so he could be my camping buddy for however long my motivation lasts. Anyways, I nicknamed him Shaggy for now just because it was the first thing to pop into my head, and I have no idea if he's permanent, but I'm pleasantly surprised by how adorable he is. I haven't had a Clefthoof on Veph yet and now I'm feeling strangely bonded to this one.
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_030415_233136.png
WoWScrnShot_030415_233136.png (872.18 KiB) Viewed 2714 times