Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 36: Wind Serpents!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 36: Wind Serpents!

Unread post by Rhyela »

I've been reading through all of the pet appreciation threads tonight, fondly reminiscing about my own pets and their adventures with Rhyela. Not sure if I'll ever play WoW again (WoD is starting to disappoint me the more I read about it), but that doesn't diminish the time I spent with it.

Anyway, I digress. I'm shocked that I never made my own post about wind serpents! Ever since vanilla, they have been one of my favorite pet families. I don't care for the Outland ones, but the original models have always captivated me. I love the reflection of their scales, their beautiful colors, the way they glide underwater.....there's just something about them. Two in particular captured Rhyela's heart.

I think the white one has always been my favorite. It looks gorgeous in different kinds of lighting. Sometimes the violet would stand out, and sometimes the white was really bright. Even though it doesn't match me in the slightest, it has still always been the one that enchanted me, from vanilla WoW on. It's been the one I've tamed on most of my hunters too, though it really seems to belong to Rhyela. I tamed Hayoc and named him Celeborn (from LotR). Celeborn is the wise, calm and kinda "mystic" one. But he can still fight, no doubt about that.

My second favorite is the red one. It is such an intense yet natural red, and invokes a sense of fiery temper, rash personality, and desire to fight. I tamed Azzere the Skyblade and named him Piandao. His name has two origins, the first being the Chinese sword of the same name (referencing the Skyblade part of the mob's original name), and the second being Master Piandao from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Master Piandao was a swordsman from the Fire Nation, and Azzere uses fire abilities in the wild. The name was a perfect fit.

There was a time when I tried to make myself pick between the two, and while Celeborn would probably come out a little ahead in the popularity contest, I don't think there's any way I could let Piandao go. I loved them both too much, and I made sure to play with both (when I wasn't tromping around with Tetsusaiga or Apollyon, that is!). :)

Thanks for reading!
Attachments
Rhyela and Piandao.jpg
Rhyela and Piandao.jpg (773.82 KiB) Viewed 838 times
Rhyela and Celeborn.jpg
Rhyela and Celeborn.jpg (506.44 KiB) Viewed 838 times

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Zabitabiba
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread 36: Wind Serpents!

Unread post by Zabitabiba »

My main pet in Vanilla and BC was Arikara. I tamed her mostly for the novelty of the puff of smoke, but found I really enjoyed her as a pet.

Looking back at old screenshots and hunter forums from those days, I really miss the commitment that hunter pets required at the time, since they did not level automatically when tamed. You could always grab a random high level pet if you didn't want to bother, but for just the right look and/or just the right family, you had to put in a lot of effort. And the minutiae of stat differences, focus dumps, etc. Good times.

Gonna pull out Arikara tonight for a trip down memory lane.