Epic loss of a tame

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.

Do you still follow the old hunter's code regarding taming, or are you also a pillar of humanity?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:32 pm

I will even help them if they want my help.
48%
I follow the old ways and leave.
22%
If you die, it is all fair game.
30%
I do whatever it takes to ruin an ongoing tame to get what I want.
No votes

Total votes: 23

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Re: Epic loss of a tame

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Ridingwolf wrote:
Doctress wrote:I'm willing to agree about the between deaths part but I don't think some people saw specifically this part....

"not purposefully interfered by doing things like, MDing to their own pet to break up the range rythem going, causing the white porcupine to lose the daze debuff from my conc shot and bull rushing me and killing me multiple times."

This leads me to believe they were being an asshat while he was ALIVE and trying to tame. So between tamed or not this person is still a bully. : /
I think I can sort of agree with the if the first tamer dies thing, but on something that is always up, there is just no reason for that kind of behavior. I started this hunter back when Aimed Shot could be fired from Shadowmeld, and back then, hunters left other hunters alone, on a bad day. Or everyone took "numbers" and waited in line and offered help if it was needed. That said, you hit the proverbial nail on the head. The things s/he were doing had nothing to do with taming itself, hence the anger I felt.

Pet taming question about the Jade Forest cat Savage. Are his tracks really that far apart? I came across the tracks by Hutia, but I was not able to follow them, they were so far apart. One would have toes pointed one direction, the next one, pointing the other way. Was really hard to follow, pun intended.

Question 2. Is there a hunter tame map overlay for the panda tames?
I look up the maps on Wowhead that show coordinates where the beast has been seen or tamed. Then I use the addon HandyNotes to add those locations as icons on the ingame map and mini map. I then have a path to follow while looking for tracks. I also do the same thing for rares that have multiple spawn points like Loque and Sambas. It helps tremendously.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I hate it when you want to tame something, but someone who isn't even a hunter is there and killing it. Now, one day I was doing BG's for gear and decided 'hey, let's go to find that spectral blue porcupine.' So I go over (forgetting I'm now tagged for PvP, my mistake) and go over to his spawn spot. I'm instantly attacked. I fly off a little, to try and prevent myself from dying. I'm okay and head back. I thought it was a hunter who thought I was going to tame the pet. I intended to wave and help them instead. But no. It was an alliance Warrior. Who was killing the spectral porcupine for no reason. There were no hunters. Just him and a healer. He killed the porcupine and tried to kill me while doing it, simply so I couldn't tame the poor thing! What is the point?! I know his respawn timer is high but really? Killing the pet and then killing any hunters who might be trying to tame it? My fault for having my PvP on, but still...*begins to smash everything into little pieces*
Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Torachi »

I've always had the policy of, "If there are already other hunters there, regardless of faction, wish them luck and move on." I've had so many rare pets stolen out from under me, I would never dream of doing the same to another.

One of the worst for me was Ionis, the rare black and red Outlands-style wind-serpent that spawns in Swamp of Sorrows. All of the new rares had just been released not too long before, and I'd managed to get the main ones I wanted, except for Ionis. He was never up, and I just didn't have the time to sit and wait all day and night for him... so I just stuck Tor out at his spawn point so I could randomly log on and check for him.

On Christmas Day, I logged in after our family dinner thinking, "Heck with it, I'll see if he's up. He'd definitely be a nice present." As the loading screen finished, and everything popped up, my NPCscan went off, and I had a heart attack - there Ionis was, right in front of me. I started the tame, it got down to 1-2 seconds, I'm thinking I have finally gotten my elusive wind-serpent... and some bumble-brained, moronic level 90 Paladin drops out of the sky and kills Ionis with one hit.

I was so enraged I almost punched my laptop screen. >.> I ended up whispering him, and equivalently saying, "What is wrong with you people?! On Christmas, no less?" along with a few other choice things that I won't repeat, ignoring him, and reporting him. Took me another several months to finally get Ionis, partially because I had lost a good portion of the drive to go look for him.

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Torachi wrote:I've always had the policy of, "If there are already other hunters there, regardless of faction, wish them luck and move on." I've had so many rare pets stolen out from under me, I would never dream of doing the same to another.

One of the worst for me was Ionis, the rare black and red Outlands-style wind-serpent that spawns in Swamp of Sorrows. All of the new rares had just been released not too long before, and I'd managed to get the main ones I wanted, except for Ionis. He was never up, and I just didn't have the time to sit and wait all day and night for him... so I just stuck Tor out at his spawn point so I could randomly log on and check for him.

On Christmas Day, I logged in after our family dinner thinking, "Heck with it, I'll see if he's up. He'd definitely be a nice present." As the loading screen finished, and everything popped up, my NPCscan went off, and I had a heart attack - there Ionis was, right in front of me. I started the tame, it got down to 1-2 seconds, I'm thinking I have finally gotten my elusive wind-serpent... and some bumble-brained, moronic level 90 Paladin drops out of the sky and kills Ionis with one hit.

I was so enraged I almost punched my laptop screen. >.> I ended up whispering him, and equivalently saying, "What is wrong with you people?! On Christmas, no less?" along with a few other choice things that I won't repeat, ignoring him, and reporting him. Took me another several months to finally get Ionis, partially because I had lost a good portion of the drive to go look for him.
Bumble brained and moronic? I'm sure those weren't the exact words you were thinking of at the time :lol: however, I'd hate to have that happen to me. I've been lucky enough that it hadn't happened, but Warlords of Draenor and those cool void wolves? People will either kill it or tame it before you do, I bet you.

Poor Ionis. I'm glad you finally got him. He deserves a good home after that traumatic event. Getting tamed, finding someone who loves and then BAM! Paladins raining from the sky, slicing and dicing! poor thing
Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Torachi »

Kayro wrote:Bumble brained and moronic? I'm sure those weren't the exact words you were thinking of at the time :lol: however, I'd hate to have that happen to me. I've been lucky enough that it hadn't happened, but Warlords of Draenor and those cool void wolves? People will either kill it or tame it before you do, I bet you.

Poor Ionis. I'm glad you finally got him. He deserves a good home after that traumatic event. Getting tamed, finding someone who loves and then BAM! Paladins raining from the sky, slicing and dicing! poor thing
No... no, those definitely were not. It was much more vicious. :mrgreen: I figured that phrasing would work a little better on here, though. >.> And Ionis didn't get sliced and diced. He got a massive, glowing, floaty hammer to his head, the poor thing. -.- If Tor could have, she'd have punted that insensitive dwarf all the way to Northrend.

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

I usually leave if someone's already there camping before me, but if a fellow hunter arrives and stays, I won't lie, it makes me nervous. Even though I have social anxiety, I'll try to make a bit of conversation if they're a fellow Horde-side player, or else, I'll hop to an Alliance alt for a few minutes and talk to them before switching back. It's always been easier for me to talk to others over the internet, but not by much. If someone makes me too nervous, though, I'll leave, even if I was there first, and check back later. If I come back to see someone else taming the rare I was after, I'll congratulate them and either check back later or settle down to camp a bit. On more difficult tames, I'll offer to help, unless it involves kiting, which I'm terrible at.

The absolute worst for me was Acroniss, the rare red arcane serpent in Silithus. She was the rare I wanted the most, not only because I'd always wished for the arcane serpents to be tamable someday, but because she's red, my favorite color. Acroniss is located in the back of that one cave in Silithus with all the Twilight Hammer cultists, and being claustrophobic, I knew that camp would be absolute hell for me, but I forced myself to stick it out as much as I could. I was there all afternoon, and Acroniss still hadn't spawned, so I ended up giving her up to a night elf hunter on the first night of the patch because I wanted to go get my Klaxxi dailies out of the way before I did some serious camping (as well as needing to get out of that infernal cave for a while). I can't remember if it was the second or third day after that patch had been released, but along with Sunwing, Acroniss was the most camped rare in that patch -- and, I swear, she brought out the absolute worst in people. I ended up giving her up again to a friend of mine, because, again, I HAD to get out of that cave and into somewhere open, or else I was going to lose it. There's only so much dark, enclosed area I can take. A few minutes after I left, my friend told me she'd spawned, and that a night elf hunter had let them tame her because they had been there first.

I went back, and my friend offered to camp along with me, and that night elf hunter was still there. My friend logged onto an Alliance alt and spoke to said night elf, telling her what I'd told them, about how long I'd been camping Acroniss, and about my claustrophobia. When my friend switched back to their Horde-side alt, they told me that the night elf said I could tame Acroniss next time she spawned, so I started feeling a little better. More hunters started to gather, and I was starting to become nervous and anxious from the combination of being in that cave and surrounded by people I didn't even know. One of those hunters, a fellow blood elf, had Sunwing, which made me sad, because I was also having trouble camping him (due to other health problems), but I congratulated her on getting him. Then, Acroniss finally spawned, and she was instantly trapped. As quick a I could, I targeted her and hit tame, only to get the message that she was already being tamed. WTF?! I figured one of the hunters that hadn't spoken to me was the culprit, but when Acroniss flew to the side of that night elf, I just couldn't believe it.

I had been stabbed in the back. LIED TO. Because of that rare.

I was livid, and it took every ounce of will to keep myself from switching to an Alliance-side alt and chewing her out, especially after she rubbed salt into the would by the way of /comfort. She had no right to comfort me after what she did. I was in tears, and the only thing that kept me together were my friends doing what they could to keep me from falling apart. I still feel my chest tighten whenever I think about this. Luckily, I managed to finally tame Acroniss the next morning, after a mercifully short camp, but I still avoid that night elf like the plague. Had she not lied to me, had it just been a case of where she was just faster than me, I would've congratulated her, but no, she had to go and do what she did, and I will never forgive her for it. Ever.
Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Torachi »

Holy... Falcon, you had me tearing up reading that. That was terrible of her. I don't even want to know what kind of person she must be like in real life, if she goes out of her way to be that rude on a game. Especially after you explained those things to her. Social anxiety isn't easy to deal with. It's part of the reason I've been trying to be more active on these forums; I know mine can get so bad, I can't even make a phone call if I have to. x.x I'm hoping I can at least keep a little more active on here, rather than just quietly disappearing like I have the bad habit of doing. I can't even begin to imagine how rough it was dealing with the blasted claustrophobia on top of that.

I hope you never have to deal with that night elf again. :hug:

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Torachi wrote:Holy... Falcon, you had me tearing up reading that. That was terrible of her. I don't even want to know what kind of person she must be like in real life, if she goes out of her way to be that rude on a game. Especially after you explained those things to her. Social anxiety isn't easy to deal with. It's part of the reason I've been trying to be more active on these forums; I know mine can get so bad, I can't even make a phone call if I have to. x.x I'm hoping I can at least keep a little more active on here, rather than just quietly disappearing like I have the bad habit of doing. I can't even begin to imagine how rough it was dealing with the blasted claustrophobia on top of that.

Aw man. If I were your friend, or if this were me, that night elf would've gotten torn a new asshole....excuse the french.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

wow what horrific stories! I was once accused of stealing a pet (I never have) and it ended up being really funny for my GM lol!! the brighter side of camping....

I was camping the spirit bear (on my horde) on and off for about a month. I was logging in the spot and checking for a few hrs then logging off. Well one night I logged in and this little lvl 78 blood elf ran up to me and started doing all these rude emotes...ok I think. Then they start whispering me telling me to go away cause the bear is too small for me. I explain that it doesnt matter what lvl and that I was camping for a while for it. She started going off her nut about how she didnt have a spirit beast and I should let her have it cause I could get others. I said I had the others and wanted this one. At this point I stopped responding lol..

Anyway anthoer player there was apparently her friend started chatting to me and saying not to worry about her. He was after Poyegon and I explained when I'd seen it last and when I'd tamed it. They said thanks for the info etc and we had a nice conversation. Meanwhile the other camper was going in and out of BG's and going AFK. I was getting abit bored so I flew off to check another rare when I get the whisper "come back its here!! She's afk and will miss it anyway!" so I flew back and tamed it :) I said ty to the other player (who got their poyegon btw!) took a screenie with her AFK in the bg and logged off.

Next day I log in to raid and my GM says "Umm Cas have you been stealing pets?" I'm like "umm no what are you talking about? what pet?" GM: "some noob in a pug said you stole a bear and went on a tirade to me about it!" Me: "hahahaha! No she was AFK and I tamed it - I even have a SS" i posted the SS in the guild forum for giggles (the other player is sitting AFK behind me with her balloon out) The guild never believed them anyway but thought it was really funny all the same. She eneded up whispering every officer to complain about me haha!!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

Torachi wrote:Holy... Falcon, you had me tearing up reading that. That was terrible of her. I don't even want to know what kind of person she must be like in real life, if she goes out of her way to be that rude on a game. Especially after you explained those things to her. Social anxiety isn't easy to deal with. It's part of the reason I've been trying to be more active on these forums; I know mine can get so bad, I can't even make a phone call if I have to. x.x I'm hoping I can at least keep a little more active on here, rather than just quietly disappearing like I have the bad habit of doing. I can't even begin to imagine how rough it was dealing with the blasted claustrophobia on top of that.

:hug: Thanks, it makes me weary of playing either of my Alliance-side hunters, though, since my realm is in a CRZ with hers. x_x

This same night elf showed up again a few days later (thankfully, the hype for Acroniss and Sunwing had died down) when I was helping a friend camp for Sunwing. I looked over to see an obsidian nightwing (I hate that mount now) land beside me, and I moused over the player, saw THAT name, and I turned and fled while explaining to my friend in whispers what had happened with Acroniss before, and warning her that night elf would probably try something funny even though she was being friendly. >_< Thankfully, she already had Sunwing, and my friend didn't have to camp long for him. I felt bad for bailing on her like I did, but I just HAD to get out of there before that night elf recognized me (if she did, she didn't acknowledge it).

No, it really isn't. I also hate making phone calls, and it is impossible for me to make eye contact if I have to talk to someone face to face, which is why it's easier for me to talk to others on the internet (but I still keep myself on my toes incase the person I'm talking to tries anything, unless I've known them for a while). Quietly slipping off and disappearing is something I tend to do, too. The claustrophobia made it worse, there were points where it was hard for me to breathe, and I was forced to leave that damn cave. If I have a friend I know I can trust with me, it makes it a little better, but there's only so much cave I can take before I have to get out. x_x; I can go in there for the quest to kill Gythis the Vile just fine since it doesn't involve me having to stay in there for hours on end, and if he isn't there, I just leave and come back later. Doing another camp like that again? NOPE. If Blizzard ever implements another rare I end up really wanting in another blasted cave, I'm just going to wait till the hype dies down before I go for it.

@Junrei: I don't remember if you were on when it happened, otherwise, I would've told you about it. I appreciate the thought, though, thank you. :hug:
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I might have been. Cause now that I'm thinking about it, the story sounds familiar.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Honesty, I don't really see a problem with people taming a pet after you've had your own chance and died. As long as they aren't trying to be a dick by interfering or killing you like this guy, then it really is fair game. That said, I will often move on if I see another hunter pursuing a pet. (Unless it's something that I have been farming for months.)

It's different though with other rare mobs that aren't sought after pets. Like the zandalari warbringers. In these cases I will wait and watch .. patiently. If they die, I'll almost always take my turn. /shrug

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Falcon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Falcon »

I should post about one that happened to my boyfriend a short while back that was sort of my fault, but I'll always find it amusing.

Back when the amber parasites were briefly tamable, my boyfriend decided he wanted one, so I helped him get his hunter to 90 and took him to the Dread Wastes. The daily that lets you easily see which of the wildlife is infested or not (I forget the quest name) sadly wasn't up, but we decided to just try our luck anyway. The first moth we attacked was infested, I put my pet on passive and allowed the moth to beat on her while my boyfriend set to taming one of the worms that had targeted him.

Two seconds were left on his tame, and I realized: I still had the Angel of Death buff on. I never take it off, since Kil'ruk's my favorite Paragon, and what happened next made me laugh and facepalm in the same instant. A shadow suddenly appeared over us, and here comes Kil'ruk. He killed all the worms, including the one my boyfriend was one second away from taming, and he goes "What the hell?!" as Kil'ruk rose back into the sky.

My reaction went from "Oh, shit!" to "Whoops.", and I told my boyfriend that it was my fault for still having Kil'ruk's buff on, and it had triggered because we were grouped. The moth was still alive and still beating on my pet (I was keeping her healed), so we killed it, and thankfully, two more amber parasites showed up as the moth died, and my boyfriend was able to tame one of them. That's when I completely and totally lost it. My boyfriend hasn't let me live it down, but I don't care, it was hilarious! I still crack up whenever I think about it! XD
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Falconcrest wrote:I should post about one that happened to my boyfriend a short while back that was sort of my fault, but I'll always find it amusing.

Back when the amber parasites were briefly tamable, my boyfriend decided he wanted one, so I helped him get his hunter to 90 and took him to the Dread Wastes. The daily that lets you easily see which of the wildlife is infested or not (I forget the quest name) sadly wasn't up, but we decided to just try our luck anyway. The first moth we attacked was infested, I put my pet on passive and allowed the moth to beat on her while my boyfriend set to taming one of the worms that had targeted him.

Two seconds were left on his tame, and I realized: I still had the Angel of Death buff on. I never take it off, since Kil'ruk's my favorite Paragon, and what happened next made me laugh and facepalm in the same instant. A shadow suddenly appeared over us, and here comes Kil'ruk. He killed all the worms, including the one my boyfriend was one second away from taming, and he goes "What the hell?!" as Kil'ruk rose back into the sky.

My reaction went from "Oh, shit!" to "Whoops.", and I told my boyfriend that it was my fault for still having Kil'ruk's buff on, and it had triggered because we were grouped. The moth was still alive and still beating on my pet (I was keeping her healed), so we killed it, and thankfully, two more amber parasites showed up as the moth died, and my boyfriend was able to tame one of them. That's when I completely and totally lost it. My boyfriend hasn't let me live it down, but I don't care, it was hilarious! I still crack up whenever I think about it! XD
Haha. You want that cool pet? Kil'ruk doesn't care. It's fair game to him :P
Lupen202 wrote:Honesty, I don't really see a problem with people taming a pet after you've had your own chance and died. As long as they aren't trying to be a dick by interfering or killing you like this guy, then it really is fair game. That said, I will often move on if I see another hunter pursuing a pet. (Unless it's something that I have been farming for months.)

It's different though with other rare mobs that aren't sought after pets. Like the zandalari warbringers. In these cases I will wait and watch .. patiently. If they die, I'll almost always take my turn. /shrug
Ahh. Zandalari Warbringers. I don't think I've seen people get so aggressive over a troll mounted on a dinosaur before. It was war to dare be in the same area as a Warbringer if someone else was there too.