Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread #?: Cranes!

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread #?: Cranes!

Unread post by Kayb »

Well after the recent activity in the Sporebat thread, I was looking up older threads and it appears we've not covered some of the newer additions to our huntery goodness.
And with WoD on the way with presumably more huntery goodness, I thought maybe we should cover some of these before WoD arrives :)

CRANES!

Huzzah the crane! So why do you love cranes? Which crane did you choose? What did you call him/her? Why do they steal your grilled cheese sandwich?

I wanted a crane the moment I saw a pic of one. I tossed up between the standard white and the green skins for a long time, not being able to decide which I wanted more.
None of that mattered in the end though as I instead went for the lovely pink one instead, naming her Exotica :) It's just a great model from top to toe, I love the sound effects they have as well.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Re: Random Pet Family Appreciation Thread #?: Cranes!

Unread post by Xota »

The lack of decent ability for pve or pvp has made this family unattractive to me. But you've sold me, when I get back in game, I'm going to take a crane for a test drive.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I miss these threads! :)

I remember being surprised when cranes got their own family, I figured they might have been added in with tallstriders. I don't have any strong feelings towards their abilities one way or another, I just like how they look!

I tamed one of the white cranes early in MoP. I admit he hasn't had as much action time as some of my other pets, but I'm very fond of him. The cranes are beautiful models, I'm impressed with how unique they came out considering the recycled skeleton (which I don't mean in a bad way at all, it's only logical to reuse fitting animations).

His name is Tancho (meaning 'red crown'), which comes from the real world species that looks like this. I specifically had to tame one of the Ink-Tipped Cranes because I loved the imagery that title gave. I really enjoy traditional Japanese artwork that features cranes (they have some personal meaning to me), so the word ink was a big draw as it brought to mind painting and calligraphy.

pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, WrA

Unread post by pawprintedheart »

Carp - Sunrise Crane

I had my heart set on getting either the bright green or the bright pink crane for Khai, but as we were questing through Pandaria she tamed a 'plain' little brown one and named him Carp. He instantly became her fishing buddy as they traveled through Pandaria. At that time, Khai had bright gold hair (and I hid her helms up until the shado-pan helmet) so they became a matching twin set. Now, even though her hair has changed colors and she's wearing a helm, her special little crane has stayed. She's tamed a few others but none of them has stuck.

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

Kayb wrote:Well after the recent activity in the Sporebat thread, I was looking up older threads and it appears we've not covered some of the newer additions to our huntery goodness.
I quit WoW when MoP came out. I never got a chance to really try out the new pets to write up about them. Feel free to remake these threads for the new pet families I didn't cover.

I did tame a crane in beta. Named him Kijidori.
I loved the little hop thing cranes did (do they still have that?). I wished my tallstriders could have done that trick as well.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I really miss reading/participating in these Pet Appreciation posts. Thank you for this!

I have only one crane at the time (I may or may not tame others, I haven't yet decided) and she runs with my huntress Auroryn.

I've named her Sylphine:

I didn't think I would like cranes at first because they just seemed too delicate for battle but they've definitely grown on me over time.

It's been said that cranes aren't functionally superior when compared to other beasts in the game. Well, I've never let something like that determine what kinds of beasts I tame. I just know what I like and go with it ... and I definitely like having this little crane here!
Last edited by Niabi on Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I think I need to add a screenshot, but Cosmo the pink crane is always a hit in groups. I love that they do a hop. I am uncertain if I'd like to grab a green one or any others since it's already hard enough to pick which 5 to take along with me on a given day.

Also, I think the bond is deepened by the grey hairs I got trying to find the pink crane. At level. The sleep CC is kind of handy when I get in over my head, though it isn't the best for raids. Still, his DPS is even and that is groovy.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

I only have one crane, but I love her dearly. Her name is Veralidaine, after the main character of The Immortals Quartet and, while I don't use her often, she makes me feel super graceful and like I'm kicking butt in a beautiful sort of way. I don't pay that much attention to DPS and abilities (and am totally lazy and just spec everything as Ferocity nowadays), but she certainly makes me a happy hunter! I'll see about getting some screenshots to add to this thread later.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog