AMAZING PTR Change for us Hunters.

Read-only since Patch 4.1 is now live.
Saturo

Re: AMAZING PTR Change for us Hunters.

Unread post by Saturo »

erwil wrote:But someone mentioned the pets being "buff-bots" from now on, reminded me of something I read on the mmo forums earlier today. There was some discussion about a few people wanting to remove hunter pets completely (or just from a certain spec). Blizzard would obviously never do that, they've done far too much work for us to even consider it, but there seemed to be several people who were keen on the idea of letting Marksmanship hunters play without pets. =/
I've been proposing that since I started with hunters. :/

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Boven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Azzrazzah wrote:Hmmm.. Now I'm wondering just how much of the screen will be taken up with my Princess Huhuran.. She's rather large at it is.. As it stands now.. When I use her, sometimes I have to turn sideways to click on bodies and things.. Hmm maybe smaller hit box's??.. Like the Damn first worm boss in Decent.. He has a freekin huge hit box!! Makes it hard to target worms after the pillar of fire spin and shoot.. I watch my Cursor change to a targeting icon, halfway up the stairs to it....
I thought the wasp models were smaller on the PTR. I know how you feel though, with my Sapphire Hive Queen, even looting is currently an issue because she's in the darned way.

I mentioned the change to the glyph in a thread on my guild's forum and one of the other hunters noted that about the only really useful minor glyph we have left after this change is feign death. I told him to keep quiet about that because if Blizz found out, they'd probably change that one to make our pets wear a top hat, bow tie and monocole.

And, yes, I now very much want to see a picture of a devilsaur dressed like that. Perhaps holding a walking stick too...
Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

Off topic a tad but: Boss wasps have been shrunk on PTR yes, I reported it the first build and the thread is lurking about with screenshots.

I want my Spore Bat to have a top hat and monocle now damnit.
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by erwil »

Saturo wrote:I've been proposing that since I started with hunters. :/
I'm ok with the idea, but I'd hate to see the pets go completely. It'd be cool if Blizzard came up with a solution for it, like someone mentioned the Warrior bits, but I've got no idea how much coding would go behind it (or if it's even possible in the first place), and could it be solved with a bottom tier talent similar to Exotic Pets.

About the new glyph, is it actually working yet?
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

erwil wrote: About the new glyph, is it actually working yet?
That's what I wanna know. Screenshots!

rhythm
Realm: Sen'jin

Unread post by rhythm »

First, I hate this change. Second, I hated the change where pets would automatically level to 5 levels within you, then 3, and now 0. I want to level my pet myself, slowly, playfully, so I can bond with it properly. Third, I will have to consider leaving my hunter and thus WoW behind if the class I love due to this particular mechanic is reduced to just a tool system.

1) My pet is not a slave (warlock) or a tool (Deathknight). It's my companion that'll die for me before it lets anything touch me.
2) My pet gets HUNGRY and will be weaker without food thus doing less damage. Not just health wise. This isn't Runescape, jesus.
3) This really bites.

P.S. :(
Boven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Boven »

Ariamodasu wrote:Off topic a tad but: Boss wasps have been shrunk on PTR yes, I reported it the first build and the thread is lurking about with screenshots.

Yeah. I was pretty sure I'd seen a post here about it, complete with pictures, but didn't remember who'd posted it, or whether their size was changed back. It just seems such an odd, random thing to change the glyph to.

Okay, so we've got a ton of artistic types here (of which I'm certainly NOT one). Someone has to draw a group of hunter pets with their top hats and monocles having tea or something.
Kaswryn
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: (US) Lothar+Grizzly Hills (A) Alleria+Khadgar (H)

Unread post by Kaswryn »

Boven wrote:
Ariamodasu wrote:Off topic a tad but: Boss wasps have been shrunk on PTR yes, I reported it the first build and the thread is lurking about with screenshots.

Yeah. I was pretty sure I'd seen a post here about it, complete with pictures, but didn't remember who'd posted it, or whether their size was changed back. It just seems such an odd, random thing to change the glyph to.

Okay, so we've got a ton of artistic types here (of which I'm certainly NOT one). Someone has to draw a group of hunter pets with their top hats and monocles having tea or something.
Something like this? 8D (sorry, didn't have a sporebat image handy >.>)

Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

rhythm wrote:First, I hate this change. Second, I hated the change where pets would automatically level to 5 levels within you, then 3, and now 0. I want to level my pet myself, slowly, playfully painfully, so I can bond with it properly eventually.
Fix't.
rhythm wrote:1) My pet is not a slave (warlock) or a tool (Deathknight). It's my companion that'll die for me before it lets anything touch me.
It would die for you every fight without the auto-leveling, in many cases.

Your idea of fun and mine do not seem compatible... :(
erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by erwil »

ShadowAkz wrote: Something like this? 8D (sorry, didn't have a sporebat image handy >.>)
<snip>
[/b][/color]
I say!

I'm also very happy with the auto leveling change. It should've been, in my opinion, sorted out a long long time ago. I understand that there are people who liked the old way of leveling, but to me personally it's just been a pain and a hinder.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Rikaku »

rhythm wrote:First, I hate this change. Second, I hated the change where pets would automatically level to 5 levels within you, then 3, and now 0. I want to level my pet myself, slowly, playfully, so I can bond with it properly. Third, I will have to consider leaving my hunter and thus WoW behind if the class I love due to this particular mechanic is reduced to just a tool system.

1) My pet is not a slave (warlock) or a tool (Deathknight). It's my companion that'll die for me before it lets anything touch me.
2) My pet gets HUNGRY and will be weaker without food thus doing less damage. Not just health wise. This isn't Runescape, jesus.
3) This really bites.

P.S. :(
While I can sympathize with the notion, I think it's just something that's more streamline. If anything, this definitely makes me more open to taming new pets. I hate taming pets and then having to wait to use them because I have to find a time of day where I can grind out pet levels (in between raiding, dailies, and my RDHs).

1) Don't feel bad, we still have something warlocks can't do. We can name our pets. While that seems insignificant, keep in mind that naming something is important in feeling (for those of who play Pokemon, it's like Nicknaming your pokemon vs not nicknaming them. You almost always get more attached to your nicknamed ones); you build a bond over that. This pet is yours. Even if there's another white leopard named Snowball in Azeroth, that still isn't your Snowball that you tamed. That's how I've seen it anyways.

As for feeding. I knew feeding would be done away with soon. I mean with carrion feeder, blood thirsty, etc... there was almost no need to buy food. Honestly, during Wrath and during Cataclysm thus far, I dont even need to buy food or keep it on hand. I could just use the glyph and send my pet into battle and he'd get happy again. I don't think there should be a reason to have "feed pet" if we're really not using it. At least, that's just my opinion.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Rikaku wrote: As for feeding. I knew feeding would be done away with soon. I mean with carrion feeder, blood thirsty, etc... there was almost no need to buy food. Honestly, during Wrath and during Cataclysm thus far, I dont even need to buy food or keep it on hand. I could just use the glyph and send my pet into battle and he'd get happy again. I don't think there should be a reason to have "feed pet" if we're really not using it. At least, that's just my opinion.
Feeding pets via the glyph and talents doesn't start until about level 25 (when you can first get glyphs now). So for levels 10-25 (providing you can afford/make the glyph) you do actually have to feed your pet. I think the newer change was not only because higher level characters didn't really need to feed their pets, but to keep potential new players to the hunter class from having to clog their bags with food to keep their pets happy.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Someone from my realm, a hunter named Shadowpaw, posted here something rather interesting that I'd like confirmation on. The PTR pets seem to be doing damage equivalent to current "Content" happiness level, rather than "Happy." Can anyone else test this? Is it a bug, or has the rest not been implemented, or is it isolated cases?
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Rikaku »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Rikaku wrote: As for feeding. I knew feeding would be done away with soon. I mean with carrion feeder, blood thirsty, etc... there was almost no need to buy food. Honestly, during Wrath and during Cataclysm thus far, I dont even need to buy food or keep it on hand. I could just use the glyph and send my pet into battle and he'd get happy again. I don't think there should be a reason to have "feed pet" if we're really not using it. At least, that's just my opinion.
Feeding pets via the glyph and talents doesn't start until about level 25 (when you can first get glyphs now). So for levels 10-25 (providing you can afford/make the glyph) you do actually have to feed your pet. I think the newer change was not only because higher level characters didn't really need to feed their pets, but to keep potential new players to the hunter class from having to clog their bags with food to keep their pets happy.
Ah thanks for pointing that out. I actually didn't think about that (I haven't leveled a new hunter in awhile). That is a good point you make as well. I recall when I had a baby hunter last, I was annoyed that one of the pets I really wanted I couldn't have because I had no reliable source to obtain the food AKA Alliance Hunter going for a Windserpent. While I'm sure I could've stopped at an inn and purchased bread every once in awhile, I'm one of those players who enjoys stocking up on supplies while in town, then not stepping foot in a town for a few levels (or days) when I'm busy with quests and whatnot. So the fact that Bread, Cheese, and fruit don't drop off that many mobs (as compared to fish or meat) really turned me off windserpents when I hit lvl 11.

On the flip side of the coin, that's also the exact reason bears make awesome pets for low lvls, they eat anything! XD

woops I rambled. But I meant I agree with you.

Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Unread post by Agravaine »

Kalliope wrote:The way I read it, actually feeding our pets was going to take priority over feeding them sparkles with Mend Pet, since now there will be an in-game reason for it: they'll get health back. As someone who mooches off the Mend Pet glyph constantly, this is a big incentive for me to feed them directly again.
I'm with rhythm and that lot, but this is the saving grace for me. For a quick return to uptime without phoenix, I'd combine mend pet with bandaging. This'll save me bandages.

From a development standpoint, it was just a matter of time -- happiness was the last remnant of the coding monstrosity that was the loyalty system... and much as some of us liked it, in the grand scheme of things it was expendable.

Now if pets could just have the same food buffs as us...

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Even at max level I would keep some food around for myself to eat after a nasty fight, as well as for any new pet that I might tame. I found that the fastest way to get a new pet's happiness up was to feed it and spam mend pet on it.

But yeah, after leveling several hunters recently, all in various stages of development, I think this change is mostly for new/lower level hunters. That's just my gut feeling though, and I think it's something that a lot of people forget. :)

I know that on Yzma, my undead hunter, she's level 37 on Nes, but the glyph prices are so insane there, that I don't want to buy her the glyphs so I'm making her level inscription. :lol: She's just gotten to the point where her pets can start speccing for their various happy talents.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Wykea wrote:A glyph that makes pets bigger? Oh lord, as if healers didn't complain enough already about corehounds/devilsaurs blocking the tank and melee DPS...
Tell them that's what the Tab button on their keyboard is for :lol: :mrgreen:

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I tried a little bit, and if it is working, the change is so slight as to be essentially nonexistant. :/ So I'm *hoping* that it's not working.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Kurasu wrote:
I tried a little bit, and if it is working, the change is so slight as to be essentially nonexistant. :/ So I'm *hoping* that it's not working.
Hmmm. Take a screen shot before using it and then after and then compare to see if you can see any change at all.
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

I really like the idea of being able to have my pets larger, but I can see why some pets will look weird(er) if that happens. It doesn't bother me right now, because the pets I have will look cool bigger. (Curious about the Seagull... )

The pet's happiness meter going away kind of had me down for a little bit then I realized I wouldn't have to throw three pieces of food at new tames just to get them to like me well enough to do 125% damage. I do find it funny that you can still feed your pets to make them regain health... I usually throw a Mend Pent on my pet after a fight out of habit and that usually solves the low health problem in about 2-3 seconds. Considering you still won't be able to feed them in combat.

I see a lot of you not liking this change, and I see a lot of you liking it.... Blizzard will never do something to a class that will make 100% of the player-base happy. I am just happy that they are not patching the game like... if your pet is dead you have to go retame it, because that would bite... hard.

I still see one thing that needs to fixed in 4.1 and I am sure if any of you have read some 'other' threads that I have commented on you would know what I mean... Blizzard takes out the happiness feature and expects hunters to be happy... why can't they implement the 'other' thing since we know it couldn't upset more people than this.

...or could it... :P
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"