Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

Read-only since Patch 4.1 is now live.
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

Unread post by Makoes »

I know Xakaal, it really does look like a turtle.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Cerah wrote:Ever notice that before Pitch and Sambas were released, every maned lion in the game lived in Kalimdor? It makes you wonder where the Alliance got their inspiration from (since Kalimdor wasn't "discovered" until Warcraft III), or where all the Eastern Kingdom lions went.
Probably because the game is "chaotic fantasy", and like most fantasy things (heck even RL kingdoms) lions are used as a symbol of power and royalty. Look how many European kingdoms and families had lions on their shields, when as far as I know, there are no lions in Europe.

But its still a good question.
TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Rikaku wrote: I'm totally the opposite. I feel bad for the Horde getting a Scorpion (cause I still don't see how Horde = Scorpion) when Alliance got a sweet lookin' lion... cause yeah, Alliance Lion does make sense. But Horde Scorpion? Doesn't make sense at all to me.
I apologize for going off topic, but I wanted to indulge my reason for why the Horde mount is a scorpion. When you actually think about it, it's a suiting choice. Like the scorpion, the Horde are tough and thick skinned and they don't take crap from anybody.

The lion is suiting to the Alliance not only because it's the symbol of the Alliance, but because many of the Alliance races are Light-faith based races who seek to uphold justice and tend to come off as being majestic--qualities typically associated with lions.

That's really basic reasoning, but I think the scorpion looks awesome for the Horde and makes sense to me.

That makes sense. I certainly don't see it in a flag, but the traits do make sense. :)

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

If we're making useless speculations...I can't see a scorpid at all. There aren't enough 'points' to serve as legs, so you'd end up with a two(or four, if it did some serious contorting) legged scorpid. The bottom line is that scorpids don't really represent the Horde(or Orgrimmar, as that's who the Horde symbol belongs to really) - but you know what does?

Wolves.

Down to the Frostwolf crest where our favorite boy Thrall came from, wolves and worgs have played a pretty big part in shaping and representing the Horde. Fiercely loyal, vicious in combat, a tight-knit 'family' - it fit what the Horde used to be - and might still be - for the most part.

So if you really squint, you can 'kinda' see a wolf. I say kinda because you probably wouldn't unless I gave that speech up there and outlined it:

^ Failed scorpid, wolves.

That said, I don't really buy any of it. A symbol does not have to be a stylized animal, and a mount does not have to be what a symbol may be - Stormwind humans don't ride lions, they ride horses. The Tauren crest doesn't have a kodo on it, and the Draenei crest is suspiciously lacking in elekks. I consider the fact that the Frostwolf crest has wolves on it and Orcs ride wolves as a coincidence, although a particularly obvious one because, c'mon, Frostwolf Clan. Come to think of it, Orcs were riding wolves back on Draenor.

Stormwind uses the lion crest because, as it was mentioned before, lions are seen as noble, powerful creatures - something the kingdom of Stormwind considers itself.

I would take the Winged Lion, Celestial Steed and to some extent Guild Mounts with a healthy grain of salt. Not everything, I have found, really has a Lore explanation, and most attempts to form Lore for them wind up dragging real life logic into it. Logically speaking it would make more sense to ride lionesses if you were going for fierceness rather than laziness, and that would probably make more sense for the Horde anyway - the Alliance generally rides herbivores, with the exception of a few. That said, I believe the Lion mount came to be from lions being seen as powerful, noble creatures - just like the reasoning behind the Stormwind Crest.

And RE 'lions on Kalimdor' - there are a lot of headscratchers like that, although not so easily explained. How did the Dragonmaw clan know what a Dragon looked like prior to doin' the whole Demon Soul thing with Neltharion? Were there Dragons on Outland, much like there were wolves, or did they change their clan name after? The world may never know~

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Honestly guys? It's pointless to argue over something so silly. Blizzard has a lot of unexplained things. It is what it is. Best to leave it at that before this gets out of hand. :)

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

Jessibelle wrote:Honestly guys? It's pointless to argue over something so silly. Blizzard has a lot of unexplained things. It is what it is. Best to leave it at that before this gets out of hand. :)
I didn't see it as arguing, really, I was just speculating like everyone else. Sorry if my post came off as aggressive! :P

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

You're right Nubhorns, wolves would make a lot of sense for the Horde, more specifically, the orcs, whom already ride them, as you pointed out. :) And after you pointed it out, if the Horde symbol *had* to be an animal, it does sort of look like a wolf. And also as you said, the symbols don't need to symbolize animals at all. The night elves' is a tree, the forsaken's is a stylized Sylvanas, etc etc.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Horde guild scorpion mount is a sort of reference to the new Clash of the Titans movie since the scorpions look remarkably similar (minus the tent thing on the back of the WoW mount). Either way, the scorpion mount is a totally unique mount, which I think is awesome. :)

And Jess, no one is arguing, it's just a discussion.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

Rikaku wrote:
Cerah wrote:Ever notice that before Pitch and Sambas were released, every maned lion in the game lived in Kalimdor? It makes you wonder where the Alliance got their inspiration from (since Kalimdor wasn't "discovered" until Warcraft III), or where all the Eastern Kingdom lions went.
Probably because the game is "chaotic fantasy", and like most fantasy things (heck even RL kingdoms) lions are used as a symbol of power and royalty. Look how many European kingdoms and families had lions on their shields, when as far as I know, there are no lions in Europe.

But its still a good question.
Actually, there were lions in Europe -- they just went extinct on that continent during Roman times (maybe too many were used in gladitorial games). Even if there weren't, Africa has been known to Europeans practically forever. North and South America, however, were not, which would be the closest real-world equivelents to Kalimdor. You don't see any European countries having, say, a Pronghorn Antelope on their coats of arms. I'd say something more "American", like a Bison, but they actually do have those in Europe.

Maybe when WoW humans weren't teaming up with high elves to kill trolls, they were killing all the Eastern Kingdom lions. Such a compassionate, nature-loving species, humanity.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Rikaku »

Nubhorns wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:Honestly guys? It's pointless to argue over something so silly. Blizzard has a lot of unexplained things. It is what it is. Best to leave it at that before this gets out of hand. :)
I didn't see it as arguing, really, I was just speculating like everyone else. Sorry if my post came off as aggressive! :P

No one's arguing and no one came off aggressive imo.

This is actually an interesting topic, and hey! I learned something, I had no idea there were lions in Europe. And hey, I wiki'd some stuff and apparently there were lions in California at some point! So... go figure right? XD

And back on the Horde thing, I could TOTALLY see a wolf. Wolves are how I always envision the Horde (personally). Even though Alliance is usually correlated to Stormwind and thus Horses, I think anyone whose pvp'd or been around the Alliance will notice that honestly saber cats are the most popular mounts amongst the Alliance (of the faction mounts, not rare mounts). Maybe that's why the Alliance will never have a wolf mount; it's the secret flagship mount of the Horde....

Man, damn my friends for being Alliance. I wanna ride a Black War Wolf :(

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I personally hate the wolf mounts because they use the worg model which means they have a gimpy run. Which is a real shame since they look so cool and it's totally badass to ride a wolf. :P

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Rikaku wrote:
Nubhorns wrote:

No one's arguing and no one came off aggressive imo.

This is actually an interesting topic, and hey! I learned something, I had no idea there were lions in Europe. And hey, I wiki'd some stuff and apparently there were lions in California at some point! So... go figure right? XD

And back on the Horde thing, I could TOTALLY see a wolf. Wolves are how I always envision the Horde (personally). Even though Alliance is usually correlated to Stormwind and thus Horses, I think anyone whose pvp'd or been around the Alliance will notice that honestly saber cats are the most popular mounts amongst the Alliance (of the faction mounts, not rare mounts). Maybe that's why the Alliance will never have a wolf mount; it's the secret flagship mount of the Horde....

Man, damn my friends for being Alliance. I wanna ride a Black War Wolf :(
Interesting as it may be....it's not about this mount and is way off topic. Might wanna split this into a different topic. ;)

Also I'll highlight my point....in the quote. I never said it was out of hand.....keyword is highlighted.

LisaaraPokefarm

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

I really hope this guy comes out with 4.1 seeing as i expect to see 4.1 released the week before Children's Week because of new Childrens Week rewards which is the end of this month *heres hoping!!*

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Xakaal wrote:I really hope this guy comes out with 4.1 seeing as i expect to see 4.1 released the week before Children's Week because of new Childrens Week rewards which is the end of this month *heres hoping!!*
So it is! I hope so toooo!

LisaaraPokefarm

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Rikaku »

Jessibelle wrote:
Xakaal wrote:I really hope this guy comes out with 4.1 seeing as i expect to see 4.1 released the week before Children's Week because of new Childrens Week rewards which is the end of this month *heres hoping!!*
So it is! I hope so toooo!

I'm positive it'll be out before then. The PTR updates have slowed down dramatically the last 2 weeks, wouldn't surprised if 4.1 is next week. At least I hope it is.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I've noticed. I hope it'll be out soonish.

LisaaraPokefarm

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I think having a new mount might JUST be enough to get me leveling my lowbies again.
My god, I'm so superficial!

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Sukurachi wrote:I think having a new mount might JUST be enough to get me leveling my lowbies again.
I think we all are in a strange sense.

LisaaraPokefarm

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Rikaku »

Jessibelle wrote:
Sukurachi wrote:I think having a new mount might JUST be enough to get me leveling my lowbies again.
I think we all are in a strange sense.
I know I am. My guildies and I can't get over it XD

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

ummm.. how soon is "soon"?

"are we there yet?"

"can I has cheeseburger mount?"

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Lmao Suku. XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

oh thank god I didn't hold my breath!!

"Step on no pets!"