New vs. Old wailing Caverns

Read-only since Patch 4.1 is now live.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Re: New vs. Old wailing Caverns

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Can't say I've ever seen that guy, but I've been keeping a lookout when I go back there.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

*twitches.*

Marudon. Don't mention the word.

Friend:"Hey, Azu! Wanna try tanking?"
Me:"Uh. I suppose I could..."
Friend:"Great! Let's go to Marudon!"
Me: (To Guild.) "AHMYFELSHAITPLEASEHELPMEIDON'TKNOWHOWTOTANK. (Shait is one of our MTs.)

And through all of that...In Marudon. First time. No mangle. Aggro -flew- because the mage was all for AoE, so they died a lot. Never complained though. We were all lost as hell. I couldn't tank. I was looking for EVERY excuse to get out of that place as fast I could.

I think we killed the water elemental and got to some part with bog lords and lashery things before we all ended up saying, "NO."
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Maraudon......oh......

*goes to her corner to cry*

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

The only thing I really consider downright "bad" about Maraudon is the GY run. At least the last time I can remember doing this, you started somewhere outside and had to make this long, long trip back through a seemingly endless maze just to reach the instance portal and "un ghost" (and ofc it always seems like Maraudon deaths just happen to be the ones with healers saying "can't find ur body lol sorry!1one!eleven" or even better the healer dies and refuses to run back in insisting instead that someone rez him when no one else can rez - that's always good too). X[

Otherwise the dungeon just feels kinda... blah. No interesting fight mechanics, lore splashes, eye candy or anything to really make it "pop" - just a long rambling dungeon crawl.

I mean you get to this goblin boss whose standing there by himself, nothing around him - doesn't even look like a boss. Etc.
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

I would be completely okay with nuking Mauradon from orbit and I highly suggest it to any lurking devs.

It's not the instance itself that hurts when you're streamlined into a fairly linear PuG, it's getting in and out and around if you're not. My friend and I went there to get her the elder a while back - two decently geared 85s - and we were lost for hours. It got to the point where we had shifted into character, running around in RP gear and fighting off respawns going "Are we going to die in here?".

We made it out of the instance and wound up scrabbling around the non-instanced Mauradon basically begging for help. We talked to a few people in general chat who were just as lost as we were. :P When we finally made it out we said 'NEVER AGAIN' and went to get the last few elders. It wasn't a painful experience since I had a good friend with me, but it was certainly trying.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Just as a "for the future" kind of thing, Nubhorns, the wowhead comments for the one elder in Maraudon has some pretty good directions on how to find him. :)

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

Yeah, we got to the elder pretty easily with directions. :P We decided to stick around and kill the bosses though, and that's where we realized we couldn't backtrack because we didn't have a clue where we were.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Ah, I see. Yeah, that place is pretty confusing. :lol:

[/center]
Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

Nubhorns wrote:I would be completely okay with nuking Mauradon from orbit and I highly suggest it to any lurking devs.

It's not the instance itself that hurts when you're streamlined into a fairly linear PuG, it's getting in and out and around if you're not. My friend and I went there to get her the elder a while back - two decently geared 85s - and we were lost for hours. It got to the point where we had shifted into character, running around in RP gear and fighting off respawns going "Are we going to die in here?".

We made it out of the instance and wound up scrabbling around the non-instanced Mauradon basically begging for help. We talked to a few people in general chat who were just as lost as we were. :P When we finally made it out we said 'NEVER AGAIN' and went to get the last few elders. It wasn't a painful experience since I had a good friend with me, but it was certainly trying.
I had a very similar experience. Only I was level 70 (Burning Crusade being the latest expansion at the time) and I was helping two ~40 friends of mine though the instance. So add in many deaths to the experience of being compeltely lost and fed up with the place. After what seemed like an eternity, we just called it quits and vowed never to return to the place.

It's funny, although I loathe Maraudon with a burning passion, I generally enjoy the other, larger, mazelike dungeons. BRD is one of my favourites. I love the atmosphere that place has and I know how to get around in it fairly well, having gone exploring in there many times with my brother. WC I like a lot too, although I'm not sad to see the maze go, all things considered. It always did feel long and boring compared to the rest of the instance... Well, with the exception of Skum's little pen anyway. XD

Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin US/Farstriders US

Unread post by Vetiver »

Wain wrote:Which reminds me... has ANYONE run into Trigore the Lasher (rare red hydra) since Cataclysm? Despite many passes I've never seen him once. Certainly never on the ptr. He spawns (or used to spawn) in the pools right outside the instance.
i just completed around 50 runs of WC (spread out over a week or so) to get my firebelcher before the patch, and i did not see this guy even once. :(

Thrawna Partyfavor Poliwrath Mint

...plus many, many more. <3

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Vetiver wrote:
Wain wrote:Which reminds me... has ANYONE run into Trigore the Lasher (rare red hydra) since Cataclysm? Despite many passes I've never seen him once. Certainly never on the ptr. He spawns (or used to spawn) in the pools right outside the instance.
i just completed around 50 runs of WC (spread out over a week or so) to get my firebelcher before the patch, and i did not see this guy even once. :(
Thanks. I assumed he was still in, but I guess not :(
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

I know i saw him back last tuesday when i was checking out beasts to tame. Did a venture into WC to tame a snake and popped over by the pools beforehand and saw him swimming around. I also saw Gesheran or whatever his name is swimming in the oasis outside the cave =3

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Xakaal wrote:I know i saw him back last tuesday when i was checking out beasts to tame. Did a venture into WC to tame a snake and popped over by the pools beforehand and saw him swimming around. I also saw Gesheran or whatever his name is swimming in the oasis outside the cave =3
Really? If so you're the first person to report him live. Maybe he's just a slow spawner.... I've asked Noah to check anyway. Cheers. :)
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

I do believe he is an extremely slow spawn, to my knowledge that was my 4th time in the entire game ever seeing him and i ran WC several times a day in vanilla XDD

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

o_o I saw him on live...a bit before the tamable-hydras bit cropped up on MMO-champ, when my Draenei archaeology teleporter thingy popped me into an alcove not far from him. I stared at the bright red hydra (hadn't seen the color before), then nuked and picked up the blue.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I just saw Trigore tonight too (on the PTR). Figures after weeks of no reports or finding him, even on the PTR, that two of us would find him the day after I mail Noah. I guess he really is a pretty rare spawn.
Harley
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil (A), Nesingwary (H).

Unread post by Harley »

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=5912
Has anyone seen the rare Deviate Faerie Dragon?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Harley wrote:http://www.wowhead.com/npc=5912
Has anyone seen the rare Deviate Faerie Dragon?
Yep, as I said on page 4 :)
Harley
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil (A), Nesingwary (H).

Unread post by Harley »

Oops. Guess I missed it both times I've read this, lol.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Harley wrote:Oops. Guess I missed it both times I've read this, lol.
All good :) The "maze" section still exists on the PTR, it's just been simplified to a kind of spiral, with a jump back to the water at the top. The rare faerie dragon was lower down in that section, from memory.