Read-only since Patch 4.2 is now live.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Aggressive pet stance has been removed

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Pets

* The Aggressive pet stance has been removed and replaced with the Assist stance. This stance will cause the player's pet to attack the player's target. The pet will not change targets unless the master attacks a new target for a few seconds.
Ummmm really? This actually make me a little sad.

A) Coming from a grinding perspective, A pet on aggressive is a happy pet :) ... on aggressive you can finish off a mob, and as soon as you do, your pet runs off to the next to chew on it's face. By the time you have looted the corpse you can start shooting into your pets target which already has 1/2 health and the pet has allot of threat. I know one can manually click and send your pet in, but you can do that with any stance? Aggressive was just that in nature, aggressive.

B) Now if they don't like the aggressive function, that's fine, they can remove it, but why spend the time to rename and remodel it (into something that reads very much like a weak version of defensive) when we already have defensive. Also it may just be their wording, but stating "The pet will not change targets unless the master attacks a new target for a few seconds" sounds awful. A few seconds? I sometimes die in a few seconds in pvp. If my pet is on aggressive and a rogue jumps me in pvp, and my aggressive pet decides to attack the rogue, a few seconds later... I would be a little miffed. :|

I'm happy to see how this turns out, but so far it does read all that good to me. It only sounds like they are again, catering to hose whom have no idea how to manage their pet, and don't know how to turn on or off aggressive :(
Last edited by SpiritBinder on Tue May 10, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Re: Aggressive pet stance has been removed

Unread post by Novikova »

What. I use the aggressive pet stance in pvp to sniff out nearby stealthers. if my pet turns and pauses or goes bolting off, I know there's a sneaky.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Novikova wrote:What. I use the aggressive pet stance in pvp to sniff out nearby stealthers. if my pet turns and pauses or goes bolting off, I know there's a sneaky.
Thats what I do....and your avatar just spoke my mind. O_o;

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Unread post by Redith »

You have got to be kidding me. There is no reason to remove that at all. I wanna know the name of the sneaky who bitched about this cause thats the only person who benefits from this.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Redith wrote:You have got to be kidding me. There is no reason to remove that at all. I wanna know the name of the sneaky who bitched about this cause thats the only person who benefits from this.
All the whiny pvp rogues.

Well they may as well as get rid of Stealth too!

LisaaraPokefarm

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

I think you're misreading the ability, Spiritbinder. I'm reading it as saying that your pet won't automatically switch targets until a few seconds after you switched targets. I highly doubt that there will be a delay in your pet attacking your target if your pet isn't currently attacking another target.

Personally, I don't see the need; if I want my pet to be attacking my targets, then I can just macro /petattack to Serpent Sting or some other shot.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Jessibelle wrote:
Redith wrote:You have got to be kidding me. There is no reason to remove that at all. I wanna know the name of the sneaky who bitched about this cause thats the only person who benefits from this.
All the whiny pvp rogues.

Well they may as well as get rid of Stealth too!
While this is a nerf (and quite substantial imo) to out stealth finding capabilities in pvp, we can't conclude this to be the sole reason behind this change. We must also be aware of all the other implcations that this will effect. I don't know if one one here reads WHU, but not that long ago, there was a humorous video posted about an over zealous bear called Drul.
http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/201 ... azed-pets/
This was defiantly a problem due to the aggressive nature of pets, and the possible complications involved (I believe this was even when the pet was set to defensive).

That said there may have been other reasons attached to it, we don't really know. But yes it does not discount the fact that it will hurt our 2nd pair of eyes in pvp.

­
­
­
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

This is purely a hunter nerf. It's a nerf for PVP, and it's a nerf for when there are a pile of little adds that you want your pet to go to town on.

This makes me very sad. This is the stupid type of unnecessary change that makes hunters much less fun to play.

I've already shelved my ally hunter for a while, Orc might be next.
Account has been closed at user's request.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Cialbi wrote:I think you're misreading the ability, Spiritbinder. I'm reading it as saying that your pet won't automatically switch targets until a few seconds after you switched targets..
Yeah I was not sure if I read it wrong myself, but then if your pet is on aggressive, it wont "switch" targets unless you tell it to. Aggressive stance is mainly to do with the acquiring of a new target on it's own, when either your or the pet are not currently attacking anything, and there is a mob in range for you pet to nom on. Like I said, I'm not sure how it will pan out, I just hope I'm reading into it the wrong way. Just showing caution as to the possible direction it may take :)

To me what it does sound like is that they are trying to implement what that have just done to our targeting regarding our shots, to that of our pets.
* Hunters will no longer automatically acquire a new target if the current target dies in the middle of a cast.

Last edited by SpiritBinder on Tue May 10, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

­
­
­
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

As a PVE hunter who's never seen Aggressive stance as anything but a liability, YESSSSSSSSSSS x1000000. Aside from flushing out stealthers (I'm not into PvP much, so I'll grant that bit of usefulness), Aggressive is an accident waiting to happen, or a wipe in the hands of a bad hunter. I can't say I'll miss it.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Ziarre wrote:As a PVE hunter who's never seen Aggressive stance as anything but a liability, YESSSSSSSSSSS x1000000. Aside from flushing out stealthers (I'm not into PvP much, so I'll grant that bit of usefulness), Aggressive is an accident waiting to happen, or a wipe in the hands of a bad hunter. I can't say I'll miss it.
Oh it will defiantly helps with this... That said I have been pulled out of a bg to help with raiding on few occasions, and when one is summoned straight to the boss out of the bg, with a pet on aggressive....? You have to find that passive button real fast... not that I've done that... maybe once... or twice :lol:

­
­
­
Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

Spiritbinder wrote:
Cialbi wrote:I think you're misreading the ability, Spiritbinder. I'm reading it as saying that your pet won't automatically switch targets until a few seconds after you switched targets..
Yeah I was not sure if I read it wrong myself, but then if your pet is on aggressive, it wont "switch" targets unless you tell it to. Aggressive stance is mainly to do with the acquiring of a new target on it's own, when either your or the pet are not currently attacking anything, and there is a mob in range for you pet to nom on. Like I said, I'm not sure how it will pan out, I just hope I'm reading into it the wrong way. Just showing caution as to the possible direction it may take :)

To me what it does sound like is that they are trying to implement what that have just done to our targeting regarding our shots, to that of our pets.
* Hunters will no longer automatically acquire a new target if the current target dies in the middle of a cast.

I don't see the parallel with auto targeting; that was a bug fix, which this isn't.

_____

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

And this new one sounds like...the exact same thing Defense already is.

LisaaraPokefarm

Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Silver Hand (H) Scarlet Crusade (A)

Unread post by Ashaine »

Novikova wrote:What. I use the aggressive pet stance in pvp to sniff out nearby stealthers. if my pet turns and pauses or goes bolting off, I know there's a sneaky.
Exactly. From a PvP standpoint, this has me really worried.

Ashaine Silverfel - <Dreadblade Assassins> - Silver Hand US - Faileas#1676
Deviantart | Facebook | Signature Shop | Flight Rising
"Not all who wander are lost."

Guildmaster • Hunter-Friendly RP Guild • Always Recruiting! • PM me!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Cialbi wrote: I don't see the parallel with auto targeting; that was a bug fix, which this isn't.
Oh sorry, the parallel I was thinking of was the accidental ability to pull more then you bargained for.
(Aggressive Autoshot ~Aggressive pet)
For me it seems like latley they are trying to tidy up/make more user friendly the class as of late. They have really been looking at hunter bugs and issues (traps/shots/pets,ect.)

Sorry if I made it sound confusing Cialbi. I'm not the best with words at times. :?

­
­
­
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Defensive only has the pet go after something you may have attacked in the course of that fight...sometime whenever, and that something may or may not be something you want or need it to be attacking right now, when you're attacking something and want it debuffing THAT something (in the case of debuff-applying pets).
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Derax
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Area 52 - US

Unread post by Derax »

Checked it out on the ptr, Pretty much does what it says, You put it on Assist Stance (Which aggressive is still on your bar and working so you have to grab Assist from your Spellbook) and If you start out attacking Target A , Your pet will start attacking Target A now if you start attacking Target B, Your pet will switch and attack Target B after about 2-3 seconds even if Target A is not dead.

Deraxacus - Area 52 (US) (Horde)

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Cialbi »

Spiritbinder wrote:
Cialbi wrote: I don't see the parallel with auto targeting; that was a bug fix, which this isn't.
Oh sorry, the parallel I was thinking of was the accidental ability to pull more then you bargained for.
(Aggressive Autoshot ~Aggressive pet)
For me it seems like latley they are trying to tidy up/make more user friendly the class as of late. They have really been looking at hunter bugs and issues (traps/shots/pets,ect.)

Sorry if I made it sound confusing Cialbi. I'm not the best with words at times. :?
Oh, I see. But, if that were true, then Blizzard is embarking on a fool's errand; if a player is accidentally pulling thanks to an Aggressive pet, that's the player's fault.

What needs to be fixed with pet targeting is that, when in Defensive stance and being attacked by multiple mobs, a pet will sometimes run back to his or her master after finishing off a target. No, Bistre; I'd rather not have you drag our targets into my melee range. Besides, now you can't use Demoralizing Roar on that caster over there. That's much better; good bear!

_____

Jelani
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Jelani »

D: Noooooooooo..THey cant remove agressive! I need it for PVP. ;_:

YAY! Flight Rising! Rawr!

Suicune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst/Staghelm

Unread post by Suicune »

I have to play with this on the PTR; as it stands, by the sound of it, I won't be a happy camper. Aggressive can be a Godsend for PvP or for 'moving to' and using aggressive to tag a mob when someone is trying to steal a quest mob, for instance. It definitely sounds like a glorified 'defensive' stance. It's not hard to macro pet attack to a shot or whatever. It sounds too similar to 'defensive' stance to be even worth it, in my opinion :| I'm kinda irritated that my pet won't just attack a mob without me commanding it to. Sometimes enemies come from a few directions and it was helpful to be able to stun one, and take care of one yourself. Sure I won't have to worry about the 'oh CRAP, that pet was on aggressive from the bg I did earlier, I stabled it without putting on defensive' moments I have had during random times in my adventures. They were too few and far between to even be an issue for me. What next, remove growl? :roll:
~Queen of the Spirit Beasts~

Follow me on Twitter @GoddessSuicune

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... e/advanced <-Main.

http://goddess-suicune.deviantart.com/ <-Rarely updated, too busy playing WoW. :lol:

The Dark Swarm is always looking for new faces! Stop by our Guild website: http://www.thedarkswarm.gamerlaunch.com (Azuremyst/Staghelm)