Idea: Making Pet Taming Challenges Momentous!

Read-only since Patch 4.2 is now live.
Slivers
Realm: Khadgar

Idea: Making Pet Taming Challenges Momentous!

Unread post by Slivers »

Recommendation:
Please allow the Hunter to choose which Pet Skill Tree the tamed Pet has access to on completion of tame; Cunning, Ferocity, or Tenacity.

OK, yes, I love the idea of pet taming challenges and, yes, I am woefully disappointed in the implementation of the idea. Not in the "how to tame" piece, but in the models, families represented, and flexibility of the pets tamed.

However, I also do not want the idea to die-off as a one time implementation and something never spoke of after the first month of 4.2. We could ask and ask and ask for more models, but that has been done already in numerous other threads and places. Instead, to increase the flexibility of the tame challenges, simply allowing the Hunter to decide the Pet Tree would greatly increase the desire and reward feeling immensely. I'd love to tame the Spider, but, honestly, all it will do is sit in the stable. If, on the other hand, I could assign it to the Ferocity Tree, its usage would would sky-rocket!!

Long term-wise, I'd absolutely love for the special tames to allow for pet family-level skill assignment in addition to the Pet Tree, but that's wayyyyyyyy to much dreaming :)

Ferocity Spider with Cunning Roar, please! :twisted:
Kikanu
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shadowsong

Re: Idea: Making Pet Taming Challenges Momentous!

Unread post by Kikanu »

I'd use the gem cat as a tank. Just sayin.
WoW, where is my KAMEN RIDER BEETLE LARVA PET?
bluddy
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Alonsus

Unread post by bluddy »

agreed it would be awesome but most families don't belong to three families..

ferocity turtle, tenacity wolf, tenacity fox or even tenacity monkey's for matter? and these are only a few of the obviously wrong ones. if this would be implemented it should be limited to some pet families and that wouldn't fix the problem.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

bluddy wrote:agreed it would be awesome but most families don't belong to three families..

ferocity turtle, tenacity wolf, tenacity fox or even tenacity monkey's for matter? and these are only a few of the obviously wrong ones. if this would be implemented it should be limited to some pet families and that wouldn't fix the problem.

It's fantasy game though, who said everything had to be logical? XD

But ontopic, this has been an idea that I've been stating ever since the 3 pet talent trees came out. I even wrote a huge post on it on the WoW forums but it got little attention.

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

My guess is that the reason we haven't seen anything like this is that it would take a lot more resources and work on Blizz's end to implement this sort of thing on any scale.

Not to burst your bubble; just saying that there's likely a logical reason. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

bluddy wrote:agreed it would be awesome but most families don't belong to three families..

I must disagree on your first too. Snapping Turtles IRL are rather ferocious creatures. And wolves can certainly be tenacious.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

I don't like this idea--not because of the overall theme, which is great, but for PvP reasons.

When I see a hunter + pet charging at me, I want to know in an instant what to expect. I know when I'm looking at a Ferocity pet to expect high damage; if it's something Tenacity, I'll have to work around Intervene + Cunning abilities, which include RoS. I have to watch for RoS to come up and use that as a recharge period before BW, etc.

It seems like a little thing to some, but I think it's quite important. Until and unless they make any pet capable of any spec (which I also wouldn't like), making some different than others would make PvP that tiny bit less predictable.

Not to mention the question of balance; Shell Shield or a ranged root on a Ferocity pet, for example, might be well over the top.
Slivers

Unread post by Slivers »

Acherontia wrote:I don't like this idea--not because of the overall theme, which is great, but for PvP reasons.

When I see a hunter + pet charging at me, I want to know in an instant what to expect. I know when I'm looking at a Ferocity pet to expect high damage; if it's something Tenacity, I'll have to work around Intervene + Cunning abilities, which include RoS. I have to watch for RoS to come up and use that as a recharge period before BW, etc
But taking the seconds required to figure out what the Pally/Priest/Druid/Shaman/Warlock/Every other class is Talented is acceptable?!?! Sorry, but I feel that is poor argument. Balancing is always a good reason and, in fairness holds true here. But wanting to "expect" what you are dealing pet-wise is not.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Slivers wrote:
But taking the seconds required to figure out what the Pally/Priest/Druid/Shaman/Warlock/Every other class is Talented is acceptable?!?! Sorry, but I feel that is poor argument. Balancing is always a good reason and, in fairness holds true here. But wanting to "expect" what you are dealing pet-wise is not.
<--bold added for emphasis

Actually, yes--that's the point. If I'm looking at a hunter and the pet from across the arena, I can see right now what their talents--and those of their pets--are. You have Spirit Bond? You're BM. Trueshot Aura? You're MM. Sniper training? You're Surv. You can tell, currently, at a glance what *any* person in-game is specced, assuming you aren't ignorant of their class, and you can currently tell the same for pets--BEFORE the combat starts. It's the same with pets--and yes, in the interests of fairness, it should continue to extend to the hunter's pet--who is just as important a part of the fight as the hunter themselves.

Taking the seconds to figure out what talents a class is is required for good PvP, and there is no reason you should make it impossible to tell the same with pets, which is what you're suggesting.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Acherontia wrote:
Slivers wrote:

Actually, yes--that's the point. If I'm looking at a hunter and the pet from across the arena, I can see right now what their talents--and those of their pets--are. You have Spirit Bond? You're BM. Trueshot Aura? You're MM. Sniper training? You're Surv. You can tell, currently, at a glance what *any* person in-game is specced, assuming you aren't ignorant of their class, and you can currently tell the same for pets--BEFORE the combat starts. It's the same with pets--and yes, in the interests of fairness, it should continue to extend to the hunter's pet--who is just as important a part of the fight as the hunter themselves.

Taking the seconds to figure out what talents a class is is required for good PvP, and there is no reason you should make it impossible to tell the same with pets, which is what you're suggesting.
How about if there was a buff telling you what spec the pet was that only appeared in PvP? Problem solved?

I dunno, I think honestly letting us choose our pets spec would be such a HUGE leap for pet balance it would be amazing, then you literally could "bring whatever buff you needed" to a dungeon or raid without being a detriment (yeah cause Im not bringing a shale spider to a dungeo/raid EVER, even if it has Gift of the Wild and we're missing it, since its a Tenacity pet). I think that, over all, would be so much better for Hunters, that even a small pvp drawback seems worth it to me.

Note that I said "to me" though XD Obviously other results may vary.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

How about if there was a buff telling you what spec the pet was that only appeared in PvP? Problem solved?
I wouldn't mind it if there was an obvious buff on the pet, although it'd be annoying having to target and assess 3 sets of buffs in arena instead of 2 (for 2s, more for 3s etc).

It also would be a bit different than player buffs, since we don't have a simple "SUBTLETY" buff as such--just Honor Among Thieves--for rogues etc, so I don't know if people would call for similar buffs on players, or the removal of the pet one, for balancing reasons. I wouldn't mind it personally, though; the Rhino's knockback would be a lot more appealing if it were on a Ferocity pet, for example.

I still think it'd be a bit silly having said Ferocity Rhino, mind, although perhaps something like a Cunning Fox wouldn't be so out of place >.<
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

I agree with this.

After all if a monkey can be tenacity why couldn't a warlock's imp tank as well?

Imo pets should be able to choose their talent tree but with restrictions by body type:

Heavy: can choose any tree, but cannot take dash, dive or mobility
Medium: can choose any tree
Light: can choose ferocity or cunning, but not tenacity
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Heavy

Bears
Beetles
Crocolisks
Gorillas
Rhinos
Turtles
Worms

Medium

Boars
Crabs
Scorpids
Shale Spiders
Warp Stalkers
Cats
Core Hounds
Devilsaurs
Dogs
Hyenas
Raptors
Spirit Beasts
Tallstriders
Wolves
Chimeras
Nether Rays
Ravagers
Silithids

Light

Carrion birds
Foxes
Moths
Wasps
Bats
Birds of Prey
Dragonhawks
Monkeys
Serpents
Spiders
Sporebats
Wind Serpents
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Might take a lot of coding, but not a bad idea. Would still like a visible buff stating the talent tree though.
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

Acherontia wrote:
Slivers wrote:

not trying to be mean here, but it seems the only reason against it is pvp specifically, and thats weak as it is. a lot of my friends dont play hunters and dont pay a single bit attention to the pet, BM or not its not a threat to them. And its seriously the same thing as rogues. you cant tell what spec they are until they hit you, which is unfair. so why cant we have same with pets? the surprise is nice and you cant change its spec in a BG so first encounter a learning experience. after that they know what to avoid or not. heres how i would tell
hunter has call of the wild, his pet is ferocity, or if you see and of the clear buffs on said pet
pet is non stop dashing, most likely cunning as with 1/2 points BM in the improved dash they have non stop dash.
and ohh pet doesnt dash, no buffs and is charging its a tenacity.

ATLEAST pets' specs you can see at a range, and it adds more surprise to the whole mix

signature thanks to Kurieno
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Acherontia wrote:Might take a lot of coding, but not a bad idea. Would still like a visible buff stating the talent tree though.
Yep, I like that idea of Rikaku's - neat and simple way of making this PVP-viable.
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Cerele »

Acherontia wrote: I still think it'd be a bit silly having said Ferocity Rhino, mind, although perhaps something like a Cunning Fox wouldn't be so out of place >.<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e48ZunW4 ... re=related

rhinos not feirce enough for you?
mother nature wants to have a chat with you about that....

now cunning rhino would be out of place but they could easily be tenacity or ferocity

Slivers

Unread post by Slivers »

Cerele wrote:
Acherontia wrote:now cunning rhino would be out of place ...
That thought made me laugh this morning as I tried to envision a Rhino hiding behind a tree to do a sneack attack-charge!
:lol:
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Think of cunning as more of a wisdom thing and less of a (necessarily) sneaky thing, and it makes more sense.

Really when you look at the cunning talents themselves, many are currently tank-oriented, and the rest* are at least not inappropriate for a heavy creature.

*Other than dash/mobility, as previously mentioned - "heavies" would need to be barred from those.
Last edited by Worba on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Cerele »

Slivers wrote:
Cerele wrote:
Acherontia wrote:now cunning rhino would be out of place ...
That thought made me laugh this morning as I tried to envision a Rhino hiding behind a tree to do a sneack attack-charge!
:lol:

my god i would talent infinite dash, and have him punt/dashing a rogue all day... iwould be in tears laughing... of course i punted a shaman into the dark abyss.... hehe revenge is a bitch aint it?